Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Robotron was also a good one for Atari. It might not really hold up to later games in the genre but Yars Revenge was enjoyable to and did not have a vastly superior arcade version, unlike most Atari games.

Also since it keeps popping up in this thread, I got some Vectrex games the other day yet, refusing to use ebay, do not actually have a 'trex so all I can do is stare at them and think of how much money I paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So, I have a question that by all rights should be easily googlable but just seems to have went entirely un-noticed by the world at large.

I got a boxed Star Voyager, the Atari one, not the NES one, the other week and initially didn't care because I already have one. But upon closer inspection what I already had was "new Star Voyager" and this one is just "Star Voyager." The "new" one has 710102-1 Rev. B on the box along with the new so its obviously a revision (and if Atari game pictures are anything to go by the more popular of the two versions.) But why is there nothing about this online? Atari Age's database has nothing on it. The VGCollect database has nothing on it (two Star Voyager listings but both appear to be new Star Voyager.) It can't be a reproduction because Star Voyager is worth like four bucks. This is an extremely common game and by a company that, by early eighties standards, was quite good. Is it just not worth talking about or do I have something unique here?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I won a pretty big lot and have gained access to 102 Famicom games (and 11 Super Fami.) Uggh, how am I going to catalogue all this stuff.

Also, relatedly, am I right in assuming that my Power Games (famiclone) will play these?

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 16, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its the penguin. Glad to hear it will work. Also I love the 5 digit game codes, makes looking this stuff up much easier. On the bad side however, there were 10 doubles, so I'm down to 92 and they seem much more skewed towards baseball, anime and Nintendo sports than to the stuff I'd like. Good mix of RPGs in there to but those are of extremely limited use to my non-Japanese speaking self.

Famista count:

4 copies, all of the exact same game too, none from other years. Its really odd too, seeing as the internet tells me that it is quite rare.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ohhh, I own Ikki! Wikipedia tells me that that is where the term "kusoge" comes from. Lucky me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

There is for the 2016 version, which I haven't tried.

https://www.amazon.com/RBI-Baseball-2016-Xbox-One/dp/B01CR385LS

"All thirty MLB ballparks"? Was there some sort of rights issue?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

I'll be honest and say I know fuckall about baseball and only followed it to this extent because of the NES game.

There should be 36 MLB stadiums and yet the sales page just says "all 30." It was probably just an oversight.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Welp, I actually managed to go through and put a title to every single one of those Fami games. The bad news? With additional duplicates found I am down to there actually only being 87 games here (as opposed to 92, 102 or 120, which I was originally told there was.) Also lots of baseball, even more than I had anticipated, and not so much of the good stuff. Still one or two gems slipped through and I am glad to put another big chunk of plastic on the wall. Also, having watched a fair bit of Chrontendo it was nice to see some of these things in person. I even got to go, "Oh, I know what that is!" once or twice. Thumbs down to Taito and Namco for not including their game IDs on the carts though, made this a heck of a lot harder since those were the two most prolific third parties for me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Saucer Crab posted:

There are only 30 MLB teams though?

poo poo really? I remember the leagues being unbalanced because of the wonky team numbers but could have sworn it was because they went over 32 back in the day, not because they were still under it.

Why did one of this threads many other baseball fans not call me out first?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Man the prices on ebay for Nintendo 64 games are depressing. Think i'll just get an Everdrive.

You know what's even more depressing? Whenever the local stores get in good N64 stuff it always sells right back out really quick. If anything ebay is underpricing that poo poo.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I have an unwarranted hatred of repros because the local P&T keeps trying to push them on me despite the fact that I am not one bit interested in paying forty dollars for a Play Action Football that's had its innards swapped out. If that was the route I was going I'd just buy a flash card and never stop by your store again, buddy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I would love to see the SNES port of Killer Instinct 2 that was supposedly finished.

And that Super Mario Bros 1 prototype TheRedEye almost got recently. I wonder what the minus world glitch would have done in that version. :allears:

I can't wait til we know more about the history of those carts, though obviously as with all proto stuff that might take years to work out. TRE, is there a reason you only got four of them? I know you suspected a scam earlier on, is it possible to go back and pick up the rest? Its odd how little excitement there is about finding prototypes of early HAL/Nintendo second party games. For all people like to catalogue Nintendo stuff shouldn't there be more interest?

Also, is it just me or is Assembler pretty dead for that stuff these days? It seems like Nintendo Age (or sonic retro or whatever for other systems) is a much more active place of discussion.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheRedEye posted:

My guess is that it's nearly complete, so the minus world is probably the same. It's probably the final game with a couple of minor bugs.

As soon as the seller listed one that had an obvious difference in the screenshots, thus verifying that the fishy-looking things might actually be prototypes, we bought all of them. The only one I let someone else get was Mario Bros. (the arcade port, not Super), because the manufacturing dates on the EPROMs came after the game was published, so it seemed safe to assume that it was just the final game. Maybe I should have gotten it anyway but I am not made of money, and quick decisions had to be made.

You said there were 16 carts on NA, or were you talking about past sales?

edit:

Also, while don't have any real interest in repros (I own one, and its of a game I'll basically never find any other way) I do think that original homebrews with knock-off boxes are super cool. I don't own any but I give mad props to 8-bit Christmas and the like.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 20, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It is odd, to be honest, that Play and Trade lets its franchisees sell the equivalent of knockoff goods in its stores. You can talk about old JRPGs all you want but most of what mine sells is Mario and Zelda hacks. Shouldn't they be worried about Nintendo lawyers?

I also do have a problem with people selling repros of stuff that actually has been released, not because it is unfair to Namco that people can buy a Mr. Gimmick for under two hundred dollars but because it makes my life as a collector more miserable. I see a yard sale and someone is selling his brother's games for weed money. Is that Ducktales 2 a legitimate one or a reproduction?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

d0s posted:

you should I have nothing better to do atm

Bullethell is a lovely style of game, you might as well have the player playing Operation or connect the dots (with very low criteria for failure.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chainclaw posted:

As someone who participates in a few hobbies, the defensiveness people get over the destruction of a SNES copy of a game you couldn't give away is baffling. Especially considering when these hobbies overlap, I imagine some of you would have heart attacks if you knew what the video synthesizer community was doing to Vectrexes. I'm even thinking about getting a second vectrex to gut and turn into a really slick video synthesizer.

So I looked this up and video synthesizer fans... really like early 2000s screen savers? What an odd hobby.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm going to assume me and fishmech read the same synthesizer thread. The guys made it sound as if it was really easy solder work. But I might have been misreading them.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Little? Its bigger than Donkey Kong!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually have one (the aforementioned only repro I own) and its fine as far as I can tell. The cart is in good shape, comes with a hard plastic case and manual.

edit: FWIW I have the SNES version.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 21, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There was also Alien: Colonial Marines where there was some semi-serious talk about whether the developer actually would end up getting sued, but nothing ever came of that. Truth be told, if your only criteria are "advertising included statements which are not true" then there's a whole shitload of games that would fall under it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
As far as game dreams go the most recurrent one for me is the fact that all dream driving zooms out behind the car GTA-style due to all the San Andreas I've played.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Didn't the Analogue damage people's carts? I know thats what the original review that was linked here was saying.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly I bet that thing is worth a lot of money, Australian exclusives tend to be hard to find, even in Australia (due to how much their games distribution apparently sucks.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cliff Racer posted:

Honestly I bet that thing is worth a lot of money, Australian exclusives tend to be hard to find, even in Australia (due to how much their games distribution apparently sucks.)

Value (based on ebay sold listings, all BIN since no auctions were had recently:) Anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars for lose ones, 240 for the lone CIB one that sold.

Less than I expected honestly, thats hardly much more than the regular world wide release colors.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Harlock posted:

Donkey Kong Jr is better than Donkey Kong

at making people turn the Nintendo off and play something else.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol. What was the criteria for the price differences?

They use a system that looks up online pricing, so very momentary spikes in ebay purchases. More likely a new clerk hosed up and priced based on Mario Brothers alone in the box. They have a policy of putting items that are more likely to be stolen behind glass, regardless of the price. So Mario always goes there even when MB/DK gets given an appropriate price. Off the top of my head Tecmo Bowl is another one that is placed under the counter despite its low price.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Elliotw2 posted:

This part, by the way, is so the cart works in a Japanese MD1, since the power switch moves a block into that notch.

Did Japanese Mega Drive stuff have many physical differences from American stuff? I'm surprised to hear it even though I guess I shouldn't be as lots of other companies (and especially Nintendo) had done the same thing at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Gotta say, you can argue SNES versus SFC all day long but I think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone defending that Japanese MD cart design as superior.

• Locked thread