Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Sounds like it's time to buy a framemeister to play a $20 game!

Or I could just buy the steam port.

Or a fat PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

That doesn't seem like a good example. Is there any reason to revisit the old PS1 GT games if the newer ones are available? I've never really played any of them but to me it sounds like complaining nobody is playing Madden 06 anymore.

NFL 2K5 on the other hand...

I think it depends on the game to be honest, yeah a seasonal game like Madden isn't in much demand, but people would probably want to come back to a game like Parappa the Rapper, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus or Katamari Damacy.

Also there's cases like Crazy Taxi where the original was a licensing clusterfuck so that any re-release would end up neutered and missing half of the music.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i finally found a copy of minish cap that's not counterfeit! :toot:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Won't Earthbound repro's end up falling victim to the original game's weird DRM to stop bootleg cartridges?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Joe Chill posted:

I think this means that the retro bubble is going to burst sooner than later, at least for the SNES. The bubble has been going on for about ten years now, so any nostalgia fueled buying of SNES games is just not there anymore. People with disposable income now have grown up with later consoles. The same thing happened with Atari 2600 games in the early 2000s.

it's already to the point where it was literally cheaper for me to import a japanese copy of super mario kart and ship it across the ocean that it was to buy a US cartridge.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

That makes me sad. I was hoping to someday get a SD2SNES and make up for the incompatibles by buying cartridges once I was financially stable enough to justify it. I decided on this plan years ago but the stability never happened :smith:

At least I already own SMRPG and Yoshi's Island?

You've already got what's probably the most expensive game that can't be played on a flash cart (SMRPG), I got Star Fox for around $20 at my local store, and you can probably find it for around that price if you look around.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh sometimes, but not allways. All kinds of games ship with unused content on the ROM or disc. Ocarina of Time has unused levels, Goldeneye has test levels with broken height map data, GTA had the infamous "Hot Coffee" fiasco...

Its just not worth the time to "properly" fix/remove it. Until somebody goes snooping in your code and data files nobody would probably notice.

Wasn't there a Tiger Woods game on the PSX that had a South Park episode as space filler?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Just look out for anything made by LJN.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Being able to save is something we take for granted and is a big reason why I also preferred World, as well as why both All-Stars the GBA releases were a big deal for me. It's also why I've always been on the Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) team over Sonic 2.

Just as long as you remember to cheese it and replay the easiest ghost house after every level.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Have you seen the Wii library? That's shovelriffic.
There will be lovely games for every generation, but more modern games have the benefit of standardized APIs, game engines, textures, documentation and a shitload more institutional knowledge that takes the burden off a bit.

LOCOCYCLE, for the XBONE, was a terrible, terribly lovely game. But it's heads above the LJN rage-inducing poo poo that was made in the NES heydays.

It's also worth considering that as lovely as some of those NES games were, the Atari library was arguably worse.

Also, the increased costs of AAA game dev these days means that everybody is more likely to play it safe than take any big risks.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

How many shoulder buttons does that have?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

fishmech posted:

As a reminder, running them off of a flashcart prevents you from using the matching accessory cartridges, which are necessary for much of the library to work or do anything of use.

Wait, as in the controller/rumble/transfer paks?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't have a PS1 yet, but I still have my PS2 and all my PS1 games. I plan on playing it via S-Video. Is there any video quality difference in an S-Video PS1 and an S-Video PS2 playing PS1 games?

Zero difference.

However, The PS2 can output PSX games over component*, whereas a PSX can only do composite, s-video and RGB.

* it'll output PSX games at 240p over component and some HDTVs really don't like that.

If you have a PS2, it'll work fine with PSX games so I really wouldn't bother with a separate PSX system.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 22, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I assume that the PS3 does the same thing?

Yep. And it scales them to 1080p over HDMI.

And ALL PS3 models can play PSX games, so that's an option.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Also, DeJap's translation of Tales of Phantasia is pretty bad, and tends to play fast and loose with the original text in favor of adding edgy swear words.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

al-azad posted:

What loving world am I living in where a GBA Micro is $100+??? Those things were Neo Geo Pocket levels of throwaway. They were on every shelf and nobody wanted one. The Famicom edition I understand, but even the standard silver?

Would unironically buy even though my SNES never yellowed.

I have a SNES mini and I guess those don't yellow. :shrug:

And I managed to buy an AGS-101 for $60 so I really can't complain too much.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A Wii has actual GameCube internals along side the Wii's. Backups will work like they were discs on actual hardware. No emulation. Think of it like the Game Boy Advance's ability to play Game Boy games.

Edit: Should mention that later revisions of the Wii (including the Wii Mini) removed GameCube backwards compatibility. So do some research before buying one if you haven't yet. But it's pretty hard to find one without it since so many of them were sold. Basically anything with the GameCube ports on the Wii is OK.

For the later model, the RVL-101, they removed the GameCube controller and memory card ports as well as the ability for the optical drive to take 8cm and 12cm disks.

However, Nintendont will still work with GameCube backups if you use a classic controller pro. Same with a Wii U and you get HDMI output.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but it is related to the WII, I know it's RGB only, but dear god it looks bad, is there anything to really improve the image quality? I don't have a CRT, but I do see Wii HDMI adapters on Amazon for pretty cheap, has anyone ever used them before?

Perhaps it's me not using component cables (I don't recall if I used it initially when I first got the system), for why it looks so bad. I mean I know it's older, but I never recall it being so crappy.

EDIT: You know I think I did have competent at some point, after looking at some pictures of what they looked like.

Alternatively, if you really want HDMI out of a Wii, say because you have a new TV that only does HDMI, use a Wii U.

The difference between them in video quality is negligible with the Wii U being slightly better, but it's really a matter of convenience between the two. The other thing to note is that any kind of analog signal going into a modern TV is a crapshoot at processing it, whereas HDMI is a known quantity and will usually have less post-process fuckery in the TV end.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 27, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The biggest issue with the original Wii and Gamecube games was actually the disc drive. A slot loading drive that can take both 8cm GCN discs and 12cm Wii discs is not a trivial bit of engineering, and that drove up the cost a bit.

That's why the later model RVL-101 dropped the gamecube backwards compatibility.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I don't care about the design of the control deck at all but I'm still bitter that they decided to change the SNES controller face button colors to purple and different purple

I'd love to have a controller that's the best of both worlds with the Super Famicom color scheme for the buttons, but the concave X and Y buttons as well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Cartridge only copies of mario paint are both dirt cheap and abundant.

So this is very interesting.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

There was some shmup on the Sega CD where the demo disc of it is more valuable than the actual game since the demo disc accidentally included the entire game.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

By far the most common culprit is that drat expansion pack. Even if you don't have extended memory, there's still electronics in there and it comes loose all the time and makes the system not do anything. Pop it out, scrub the connectors, and try again.

To clarify, the N64 uses Rambus ram that needs a bus terminator, which is what the jumper pack does.

Without something in that slot to terminate the bus, the N64 can't boot.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Harlock posted:

Not enough Sailor Jupiter imo.

This is always true though.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Why did you buy a dental cleaning machine?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The english dub of "Ghost Stories" was the peak moment of the 2000's anime boom in the US. The producers in Japan who made the series knew it was crap. The company buying the distribution rights to the series knew it was crap but had to buy it to get some other series they wanted, so they just told the voice actors "do whatever you want with this," stuck it on a DVD and shipped it.

Also the best Sailor Moon game is The 3D Adventures of Sailor Moon.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Luckily, backing up your Wii purchases is entirely possible if you have a 2 GB SD card and a copy of Smash Bros Brawl.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/johnlhardin/status/914643660473430018

Finally, an accurate paint job for the SNES Classic Mini.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

This is probably because there's a lot of words used in other languages as slangy insults that reference materials pretty much just default to "bastard" with. I'm sure this problem was a lot worse in the 90s/2000s too. Like try to translate anything with slang with google translate and you'll probably get it as the suggestion still. Some kind of catch-all "that dude I am insulting" response, I guess. Presumably final fantasy weebs just went "well that's what my dictionary says, must be accurate and remain faithful to the text!!" and slapped it in there.

There were similar issues that led to translations adding in lots of shits and fucks or whatever because of misunderstanding Japanese swearing and emphasis etc that I'm probably even less qualified to post about.

"I bet Arche fucks like a tiger."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That translation is still better than the official GBA babelfish translation.

You mean you don't know about the future battle of Kangaroo in Norse mythology?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

univbee posted:

This would be...not impossible, but definitely extremely complicated with an MSU-1.

It basically behaves like CD Audio used to, with a single fully recorded stereo audio track, and it's not very good at things like sound effects (due to seek times) and rapid music changes. At best someone would have to compose and properly time the "Yoshi percussion" part to go with the CD Audio but it'd be enormously hard to make it all so it doesn't go all out of wack when the music loops.

I haven't really played around with any MSU1 patches, but does it simulate the seek times of a 1x CD-ROM drive that a real SNES-CD would have used?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

GutBomb posted:

The rental angle of making the American versions more difficult wasn't to punish, it was to encourage sales. They made the games harder so they couldn't be beaten in a typical rental period on your first play-through of the game. You rent it, can't get more then halfway through the game during your rental period so you buy it. I can see how Konami would benefit from making a game hard enough that you can't beat it in a couple of days on your first run-through.

This.

In Japan, they had enough of a problem with rental stores using rom copiers to make their own copies of Famicom games that Nintendo successfully lobbied for a de facto ban on video game rentals. Which is why NCL really wanted to drop the Famicom like yesterday's news in favor of the FDS, which had a crude DRM system in it that used the Nintendo logo that was engraved on the discs, and the American and European NES had the 10NES lockout chip.

But NOA couldn't get game rentals banned in the US, and boy did they try; so to get people to buy games instead of renting them, Nintendo made US releases harder than the Japanese equivalents to drive sales instead of rentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Monitor Burn posted:

There's an aftermarket universal cartridge slot for the N64: https://www.shapeways.com/product/VRHZKBHUZ/n64-universal-cartridge-slot

FYI about this. The cartridge doors tend to catch on the slot.

• Locked thread