Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
what's a relatively cheap usb controller that would be good for retro-ing

edit i'm asking because i was thinking of doing a stream type thing where i played through the big list of games you jerks helped me compile a while back, plus some other stuff that i know i need to play

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah i went with the buffalo thing. i should have it wednesday, i'll probably fart around with everything a little more and do a stream friday night, then everyone can watch me fail miserably at old games

unrelated, but it should be mentioned for the new thread that the PS Vita is finally hacked, and it's only a matter of time before that's a dope handheld emulation platform

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

d0s posted:

hey if any of you stream retro games post your twitch links or whatever and I'll put a section in the op for people to watch you play video games

https://www.twitch.tv/dickeye gonna be streaming whenever the gently caress, playing through that big list of retro games you all helped draft, which is still taking submissions

first stream will be friday night!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ineffiable posted:

If the Vita takes off as an emulation device, get ready for a second wave of bitching about memory card prices.

Already got my 64 gig :smug:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheMcD posted:

With the amount of times I've had to deal with corruption on my 32GB Vita card, I'll stick with my GCW-Zero for my handheld emulation needs, thank you very much.

I like that that doesn't exist anymore

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

univbee posted:

Lest we forget, the Sony PS1 Memory Cards held 128 kilobytes and cost like $20+US. There haven't been many storage media formats with a higher per-kilobyte price in the entire history of computing.

1996, though

Also I had a Monster Memory Card from like madcatz or some poo poo that was a solid megabyte

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anidav posted:

I hope some Russian shits out a microsd to Vita memcard adaptor

Too small

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anidav posted:

Don't microsds come in 256gb these days? Could fit halve the Vita library on there.

I mean physically. They're shorter than a micro sd

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I actually stand corrected, micro sd is the exact same size as the Vita memory card

The odds of an adapter are slim tho considering it's been this long without one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

The vita also runs at a lower power than microSD but I guess you could get around it I guess if you really care.

You'd still have to fight Sony's encrypted filesystem though.

Yeah honestly it's a massive cluster

Having access to the filesystem will help, though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

univbee posted:

Last I checked, Twitch peaks out at something like 3.5 megabits per second. That's very low for 1080p at 60 frames per second even in ideal circumstances when you consider that Blu-rays are typically 24 frames per second (although can do 60) and allow you to go up to 50 megabits per second. I think you can cheat the quality in various ways, such as limiting your broadcast to 720p and/or 30fps, having your layout of game screen/facecam/whatever else laid out in such a way that specific parts of the screen are compression-friendly, things like that. But at least with Twitch blockiness is inevitable, not sure if the alternatives like Youtube Gaming are better.

Good thing I'm only streaming ancient bullshit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
first 13 years of nintendo power are online now https://archive.org/details/nintendopower?&sort=-downloads&page=2

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I did a quick test run for my stream tonight, to make sure I had OBS set up right and play with my new controller

In the process I got a game over playing SMB. On 1-1.

Gonna be a good stream

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

Probably around the planning phase when they went "Hey we should make Banjo-Tooie but even bigger."

Banjo Tooie was years later though????

al-azad posted:

I blame the 64DD. It was supposed to be flipped out in a year and then that dumb thing crashed and burned. Majora's Mask was a similar casualty where you have this incredibly repetitive game built on re-used assets that demands you to play its same four levels over and over again. I really want to like Majora, and maybe when I play the 3DS version in 10 years it'll be the light switch flipping on, but god drat does that game feel cheap.

Majoras Mask owns though and learning the routines and patterns is half the fun of the game

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RZA Encryption posted:

Idk how much pi 3s are, but you could calculate exactly how much they're charging you for a case and a cheap SNES controller knock off.

can get a pi3 plus enclosure and power supply for like fifty bucks amaerican on amazon

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliche Guevara posted:

Pain in the rear end to assemble and setup though? Will have to look into it. Would love to play some of these old gems in the N64 and PS1 libraries!

It's literally called a starter kit and looks super easy to fit together

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hey losers, around seven or eight est im going to fire up the stream and play some NES games badly and get mad at them

i will be taking requests, so if there's something you want to see me fail at, let me know

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yo i'm firin up the stream, twitch.tv/dickeye, hop in to tell me what bad games to suck at

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
now streaming yoshi's island

i suck

edit done for the night. im tired and my eyes hurt and my rear end is sweaty.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 6, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

It's impossible to suck at Yoshi's Island I need to hop in this stream and tell you to stop failing at life.

TOO LATE

i'll do this again sunday and you can all watch me waste all my lives on DKC2 2-1

again

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

Today I learned that there's more than one thing called VIZ in comics, and that this is not the one that makes Drunken Bakers and Eight Ace.

Today is a major disappointment.

No that's also them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jumpingmanjim posted:

While we are looking for strategy guides, I am looking for a strategy guide for Pokemon Red and Blue that took the form of a newspaper about the protagonists adventures through the various towns/cities. It may have been in Nintendo Power and it was definitely an official thing.

That sounds like a Nintendo Power thing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anybody know where I can get a decent replacement battery for a psp 1000

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kid Fenris posted:

My hometown's local comic store rented just about every commercial anime tape for a dollar a night, so that took care of me. I watched so many lousy one-off OVAs just because they were cheap. Ask me about Grandoll, Bounty Dog, Gestalt, Princess Minerva, Wild Cardz, and Early Reins!

To answer an earlier question, I don't think there's much interest in old fansub VHS tapes unless they're truly rare (with no official retail release anywhere) or filled with fan drama like the Miami Mike incident. If you have stuff taped directly off TV, however, I'm sure people would want to check out the commercials.

What's the Miami Mike incident

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

univbee posted:

What about a GB Micro?

It doesn't play Game Boy games

One day, I'll own one of these. One day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Allen Wren posted:

I'll be honest, I like the look of the 2017600, but I am a sucker for fake wood paneling and tasteful LED lighting. I see literally no reason why I or anyone else might ever buy one, though.

If it turns out to be a neat little Atari emulator with It quotes authentic controllers I might think about it

• Locked thread