Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

To continue the conversation from the last thread, snes prices will probably keep going up. There's only so many consoles to be dug out of attics. A lot of people are realizing the value of their old games and run to sell on ebay as fast as possible.

Also our purchasing power/inflation grows every year and so people are more willing to pay more to get a console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If the Vita takes off as an emulation device, get ready for a second wave of bitching about memory card prices.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yoshi yoshi yoshi.

Yoshi.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I thought I heard the DC sd sucks and it's not actually worth it. The dream cast cd drive replacement with a flash drive works better. Stone age gamer should have one.

Problem is that one is a heavier investment.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah okay so just pretend there's only 3 ways to get your dream cast fix.

Burn cds.

Buy legit cds

Or just get the full blown glass drive replacement but you might not be able to find one easily. And it's kind of pricy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

azurite posted:

Get the VGA box, that way all your bases are covered.

The USB GDROM is by far the best way to go. Unfortunately, the creator is apparently tough to work with, so SAG no longer carries them. DC SD is far too slow, since it goes at like USB 1.1 speeds.

Yeah, I think I was damned lucky to grab them at SAG, especially before the price markups (I think I scored one of the original shipment preorders). Reading the drama, it's really huge and I can see why SAG is not dealing with the USB GDROM.

For the USB GDROM, I think you have to get them directly from the Mnemo dev, and he just runs a website and manages it himself. Who knows when he'll even have your order ready.

That's one thing I do like about SAG. They buy batches and can be ready to ship them, so you aren't stuck giving someone money, and then they'll ship out whenever it's ready. I think it's worth the markup that SAG has to do.

So yeah, either plan on using discs or shell out around $200 for a USB GDROM. But it's a great investment since it's an easy pull out/replace, and it's not a permanent mod. You can easily swap it between dreamcasts if you have one that fails due to something else. I have a spare just for this.

The real question is, is someone working on a solution for the Saturn? I thought I read someone cracked the Saturn bios/OS or something.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah and I'm wondering if cracking it is going to pave the way for someone to do a Saturn cd replacement. I'd totally do mine too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You all need to buy 8bitdo controllers. Only issues I have with them is that every time you power off your source, you have to resync your controller. They're an impressive build quality.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just curious, is that mod just to keep the receiver to pair up with the controller or something? I know the only concern people have is you have to sync up the controller with the receiver every time the snes is switched off.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Remind me again, what's the big deal about yfold seals? Harder to fake, looks better on a sealed copy?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That's probably a bad habit to have but in this hobby it seems like prices are going up year after year for almost everything.

Seriously, prices may never come down again. It's like, whatever you can afford to get, get it now. We don't even have cheap Rakuten anymore.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Gotta protectors is almost worth it on just style alone. But it is also a fun game to play and can be funny at times.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm really excited to see what might happen about the Sega Saturn. I love collecting original games as much as the next guy but they're starting to get pretty expensive to do and I love my dream cast and it's flash drive-drive.

I feel sorry for most people that might be starting to collect today. Everything is maybe roughly 2 to 4 times more expense than 6 to 10 years ago.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ka0 posted:

I wish I'd never sold my copies of pokemon blue, red, silver and the gba ones. They were all mint new and in crisp condition; Now I know if I ever want something similar back it's going to cost upwards of a couple of hundred bucks.

Welcome to the classic feeling of retro regret.

At some point, most of us has sold off various old games just to be able to buy more games (or for other things) and it's painful seeing that if you could sell it today, it would have been worth ten times more. Or that you just wish you still had it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think someone did an article writeup about those contests. I remember reading one. It was literally impossible to win the grand prize or something.

For the longest time, I read just Nintendo power and my friend had a Genesis so I didn't know there was anything beyond Genesis, nes, snes and n64. Gamecube came out then half a year later I managed to get a ps2 and it changed my life there.

Well I remember a friend getting a dream cast too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'd like to offer these retro/modern tidbits.

Metal gear solid on psn lets you look at the back of the cd case in the digital manual.

Star tropics has a digital manual on wii that can be virtually dipped into virtual water to reveal a code.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anyone have the gba krikzz flash cart yet? Can you let me know what model of sd card you have working for it? Mine should arrive next week but I'm worried that mine might not work with the sd card I prepped for it already.

So I need to know what model 16 gigabyte ones you guys have that works for sure so I can favorite it in case I need to get it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

xamphear posted:

Actually, check this thread instead: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5431.0

The compatibility with the EDGBA might be worse than his other MicroSD carts.

Thanks. I checked the spreadsheet and mine isn't even mentioned. It's a silicon power 16 gigabyte elite. Well it was only five bucks, I can get something else and use this in my phone or tablet.

I just wanted a way to see if I need a new one, what could be the cheapest one for 16 gigabytes I can get that works.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

How do you guys feel about people tearing out gba SPs for those sweet screens for mods?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

One thing is for sure, I hope we eventually end up with flash cart solutions for everything. I think we've got every Nintendo console covered n64 and older. Saturn needs a reliable solution (I think someone is selling one but it's pretty expensive and he's not producing that many) and I think we need one for Sega cd and 32x? I'd like to see some kind of psx one similar to the dream cast flash drive solution. I have a psx I keep around for this.

I do agree repros are largely a waste of money in the long term. I do see the appeal of getting one or two especially for gifts, for people who are not as tech savvy. They just want to be able to plug something in and it takes them to the title menu of the game.

The one thing about flashcarts is that it's so tempting just to buy the few I don't have yet, then sell everything in my collection aside from the console hardware and make like $10,000 in profit. I have this argument with myself every month and it's the reason I haven't gotten flashcarts for all my consoles yet, I don't want to make it even more tempting.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, someone is making a Saturn device that plugs into the card port and loads stuff off USB, and the SCD has no protection outside of reasoning (which is easily bypassed), at least. You can use an Everdrive MD to load 32X games, IIRC.

Yeah I'm just hoping the new Saturn device is cheaper and easier than the current designs. I'd pay between 100 to 200 for a device that means I don't have to worry about the disc drive. Same for a solution for the psx and ps2 (slim models)

I never was big on the Genesis but you would still need the 32x hardware but good to know the flash drive works. But Sega cd drives have a relatively high failure rate right? More than anything, I'm concerned about the systems that run of cds since those might be prone to failure more.

The funny thing is, things like flash cards exist in bigger and cheaper quantities than before and prices still are going up on the original stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Right, the pc engine flash cart doesn't do cd games right? I still want to get one and I could probably make up for the cost by selling my star soldier games.

What pc engine cd games are worth playing anyway?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think he has a massive backlog and he'll take your money but it's gonna take a long, long time. There's some drama between him and stone age gamer. I'm kind of lucky to score a unit from stone age gamer.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think the trick was to put a resistor or something in the slot left unused. I did the same thing a goon here did in the prior thread.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I also think retro gaming in general is really overpriced. Everything feels like it's going for more money than it should. I could easily sell most of my collection and make four times as how much I paid into it.

But I don't like that it's expensive for someone to jump into collecting today. If anyone was starting from scratch, I'd tell them to invest in flashcarts and emulators and just hope you get lucky at garage sales or thrift stores.

At least you can start off very well with a raspberry pi and 8bitdo controllers. And maybe slowly build up your collection. But the Era of having large shelves full of game is a rich boys dream now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I can't think of flash carts as things to collect. They're more tools that allow you to get games on real hardware that you might not have been able to afford.

8bitdo stuff is the same way. It's a tool to help enjoy the retro gaming scene, but in no way is it a collectible item.

Now here's a new thing: how you guys feel about repro boxes and manuals? Works for getting shelf candy, just like repro carts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The only reason I would buy more than 1 flashcart is because I am very paranoid and if my SD2SNES or Everdrive N8 dies or gets stolen in 20 years, I am pretty sure I am 100% poo poo out of luck in ever finding a replacement. I thought I was insane for having two Sega Saturn modchips but here we are in a situation where there are zero out there now. The only thing that stopped me from actually doing it is that they are not cheap.

I think that's a reasonable fear. There's not really that many out there and there's only a few individuals who bother making them. And it's pretty easy for them to get tired of making them or trickle out at a glacial pace which leads to year long wait lists or something.

That's why I bought the dream cast gdu flash drive thing. I know cd drives are gonna have more of a chance to crap out than anything else so I effectively made my dream cast immortal (I even have a spare system I can use for parts or transfer the gdu into) I hope to do the same thing for my Saturn one day.

I feel like it's highly unlikely a flash cart could die without it being an accident and I'll find it funny if someone has to report a flash cart on a police report. Just seems like they'd just take your TV and be done with it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

How about a complete copy of Blood Will Tell?

I was looking up prices really quick to make some jokes; when the gently caress did Yakuza 2, Echo Night Beyond, and Obscure become so absurdly expensive? The escalating prices on Rule of Rose and Kuon is to be expected since those are severely underprinted horror games that never really got cheap, but you couldn't give Obscure away!

Also loose disks of Dark Cloud 2 going for $25? I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago for $3...

Yeah its funny but I think ps2 is already too late. The turning point was when gamestop was clearing out about 3 years ago. And sadly, gamestop threw out a lot of cases and manuals and sold them as disc only to save space. Getting good ps2 game cases and manuals might be almost as rare as cart games which is funny because you'd think it'd just be an easy thing to get complete.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

From what I remembered, when they were doing their clearance, I heard at least 3 employees from different stores say they were instructed to toss ps2 cases and manuals to make room for all the discs that needed to be on clearance.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Got my GBA everdrive in today. Obviously the first thing anyone does is get a complete romset and clean it up.

Any cool hacks/translations I should do with this thing? I know there's a good sound fix for final fantasy and pokemon light platinum sees to be the best of the million pokemon hacks.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hmm well I guess it does depend on the game but I've not had too much trouble collecting yet. It helps that I already had a lot of the hits already before I started. It is true that the cases sometimes aren't included. I have some PS2/Xbox cases for really lovely trash that I don't mind replacing the boxart for but it's a finite limit compared to, say, jewel cases. Ultimately I'm getting these games to play them so that's the most important thing, not how nice my shelf looks.

I held on to a lot of PS2 games just because Gamestop was only taking pennies for them back when they still carried PS2 games and I was too lazy to list them so that ended up working out in my favor. I was sad however to open my Parappa 2 box and not find a CD in it. Apparently it got lost somewhere along the way :(

That's how honestly most people have a big collection, they manage to stock up during the bottom of the prices. I only have 100+ PS2 titles because I ordered 30+ back when Rakuten was still a thing and it would be like a dollar each, and I managed to get rule of rose for less than $40, Kuon for 8 dollars and more deals. I really picked up a lot of things before the prices hit.

The PS2 had one of the biggest customer base, so there's plenty of copies of any of the big mainstream stuff. It's the more niche stuff that's really starting to increase in value as more people want it, and start paying more for one of the last few complete copies. I almost broke down and bought a copy of blood will tell last year, it's one of the elusive ones for me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Caitlin posted:

why do you doubt that it's a store practice they still follow

I had a manager at one tell me they literally threw away every DS/3DS case they had to make space and were selling cart only at CIB cost. :toot:

e : also, you guys found THE WORST mame cabs :psyduck:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing DS games go up in value, just because there's a lot of counterfeits, and legit games with boxes and manuals, are quickly becoming more scarce.

And they still play fine on a 3DS so I can see some desire for them still in 2016.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Someone may have answered this at some point, but are there original GD-ROM images out there? All I ever came across were hacked-up DiscJuggler shits made to fit on a CDR, which was fine I guess, but that's not gonna cut it for proper preservation.

As mentioned before there are proper images out there now. That's another reason to get the flash drive mod for the dream cast.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think mission impossible is also nearly impossible to beat on the n64. Or at least that's what I've heard.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Don't have time to try this for a couple of days but is it possible to use Goomba on a gba ever drive and run nes and game boy games?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just so you know, the goomba to create GB games into GBA roms (and also the NES version) work just fine with the GBA Everdrive.

It's so weird playing Link's Awakening with the Super Gameboy border on a Micro. Looks super nice though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Uncle, Goomba seems to be doing borders and enhanced color but I think it runs at regular speed.

Someone more technical than I should answer though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

fishmech posted:

The Super Game Boy 2 runs at accurate Game Boy speed, so most SGB supporting emulators actually target the SGB2.

Goomba is really weird though because it'll repackage gb and gbc roms on a gba file for gba flashcarts. You're right it probably works off the sgb2 for better accuracy.

It is cool getting SGB borders and poo poo on the gba. I'll post a picture of mine later today but this makes krikzz gba ever drive worth it, along with the fact that it's simple drag and drop.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 25, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you! I'd love for it to work as an snes rom since I am assuming the image is going to be kind or wonky since it has to adapt to the GBA resolution

It does cut off the SGB borders slightly but the gb games to seem to run in the correct aspect. It's like if you ran an gb cart in a sp, if you didn't stretch the image you'd have just empty space. But with Goomba, you can recompile it into a gba game and I think even if a gb game is not super gameboy enhanced you might be able to use a default border.

I also did try metal storm on the micro and it looked just fine, just hard to see because so many scrolling parallexes on a tiny screen.

If you have any request for games I should try, lemme know, I'll have access in half a hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

flyboi posted:

Goomba is okay but a LOT of gameboy games are written to just expect the environment to work and falls over in emulation (even on libretro in 3ds/vita)

If you want to see what I mean throw the GBC dragon quests into goomba and listen to the audio. It expects gameboy to run 100% at speed constantly and the audio cuts out constantly because the emulator in both isn't capable of maintaining steady emulation.

Yeah if you want to be as accurate as possible, then yeah just get the regular gameboy everdrive and put the romset on it.

It's neat to get GB and NES games working on a micro, and hey I bet your SD card has a spare gigabyte....

Here's a library images of link's awakening:
http://imgur.com/a/iwLCw

• Locked thread