Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you dude. Hey if you don't end up getting an SNES mini and I score a second one, it's yours.

Awesome. I'm really after that one. I'd get a nes classic but only at MSRP. It's too much otherwise. Snes classic though, God drat it I will have one by the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Thought you guys might be interested in this, a full book on just the neo geo, in English:

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/neogeo-a-visual-history

Up for preorders for later this year.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Also I hope you guys don't mind a double post. I'm going down to Orlando Florida later this year and could use some recommendations for game stores, arcades or pinball places.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

This caught my attention. Are there any good ones?

Uhhh off the top of my head the good ones I know of is kameks revenge and smw2+ and smw2+2.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

I bought Sculptor's Cut a few years ago for a decent price, and every now and then I've wondered if it's real. It seems like the amount of repros back then were nowhere near what they are now, especially for N64 games. I'd like to have comfort in knowing that my more "expensive" games that I've bought over the years are legit.

You can usually tell from the quality of the plastic of the cartridges. Or the quality of the resolution of the label. Just compare it to another N64 game.

Harder to see from online ebay pictures, which is where people get fooled.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

How has noone else made something to compete yet? The OSSC is fine, but not really the same thing. At that price point you'd think there would've been some competition by now.

Its very niche and requires a ton of computer know how and engineering? Even at that price point they may not be making that much money. Hasn't there only been thousands of these sold? Maybe tens of thousands?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

The XRGB news is actually quite unsettling, because sooner or later 4k TVs will presumably replace their 1080p counterparts more or less across the board. While I assume/hope that the upscalers in these 4k sets are a lot better, and going 1080p->2060p using the existing XRGB is still probably an improvement over say trying 240p/480p directly into the TV, that's still some extra lag being introduced. I hope somehow, if not Micomsoft, still steps up the place down the road with a 4k upscaler.

Isn't 4k a really loving good size because it's 720p exactly 9 times and 1080p exactly 4 times which means it can upscale with very minimal issues?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm really bad at following scene stuff. Have they made any progress towards a Sega saturn gd rom- USB adapter Ala what dreamcast has? Sega saturn is one of the last disc based systems I need to convert into a digital medium for longer reliability.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

azurite posted:

There is one sporadically available: Rhea/Phoebe depending on your model.

Also, Professor Abrasive is working on his beta MPEG card slot solution now. Still a work in progress.

Huh I remember seeing that but didn't it used to be more expensive? Did it come down in price.

MPEG card looks promising especially if it's cheaper/easier to get than Phoebe.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rirse posted:

Yeah that kinda why I haven't got into the Saturn. I just waiting on the MPEG method to happen as I just really not wanting to deal with burning cds in 2017. Especially since it harder to just blind try crap with say a everdrive.

Also reha/Phoebe is slightly more complicated than the dreamcast model.

And I really can't imagine the MPEG card being more expensive than those mods.

I'll probably wait for MPEG myself too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

poo poo, you lucked out with Banjo-Tooie. Pretty sure that's one of the rarest games on the N64 in the US, isn't it?

I don't think it's particularly rare. There's at least a dozen more rare if not two dozen.

There is however, a not for resale one that's pretty rare.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'd like to remind people you can literally buy the Namco museum ps1 games and spell out Namco on your ps3/psp/pstv/vita via the Playstation network store.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I would make sure they're legit copies if you do. I know people on reddit have gotten reproductions when they bought retro games online during a promotion.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

N64 reproductions has been on the rise very recently. It's getting pretty bad.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They lasted a surprisingly long while, all things considered.

That wasn't anything special. I bought a brand new in box mini Famicom about a month ago off ebay for $75 shipped. I used one of those 15 dollar off coupon they do once a month or so.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Which is good, I think I'm gonna try to score a super Famicom. I love that box and it has two really good games we won't have: panel de pon and goemon.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Thanks for posting this. I thought these were way more expensive. I see the price isn't special because you can get this on eBay for the same price from three different sellers. However I had a 20% off ebay coupon so I just got one for $93 shipped which is more than reasonable for me since I'll never get the NES Classic.

I am actually kind of glad the controllers are attached even if they are hilariously small.

I thought you got a nes classic from think geek. Did I just confuse you with someone else?

Anyways the Famicom still has a nice box.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I actually did and as if the gods were mocking me I got a black screen every time I turned it on. I laughed but I ended up making money on ebay. People bid past its retail price even though it didn't turn on!

So I didn't lose money so I can't be mad but now I have to figure out what to do with a Tetris lamp.

Honestly you should have asked some softmodder if it can be reflashed. I assume the hardware is fine so it's possible they could have brought it back to glory. And you obviously tried different hdmi cables and screens?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So you just decided you had too much free time and money laying around, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Did anyone besides for me love Quest 64?

For some reason I've actually played and beaten this game... Three times.

I hate that volcano area.

• Locked thread