Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Natsume USA unearthed a few old Pocky & Rocky promo shirts and threw them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=natsume_inc&_sop=10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
bone voyage

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For those two don't read the 3DS thread... two more retro compilations have been announced for Japan:

-Sega 3D Classics 3: FINAL STAGE, the third and last compilation of Sega stereo-3D remasters by M2. This one will include the five standalone titles that aren't on either of the previous compilations - Sonic 2, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Afterburner 2 and Super Hang-On - plus a few new conversions, one of which has already been confirmed (Turbo Outrun!): http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/30114287.html

-Kunio-kun Complete Famicom Collection: exactly what it says, a collection of all 11 Famicom Kunio-kun games - these include the titles released overseas as Renegade, River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, Nintendo World Cup and Crash 'n The Boys: Street Challenge plus a bunch more that were never localised: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/31114490.html

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

No joke please do. I'm sure the majority of decisions are made on what features are most popular but if people say Version X has the best running game and Version Y has the best throwing game then why doesn't Version Z take the best from X and Y?

...because determining what's "best" is incredibly subjective and the circumstances surrounding those decisions change all the time, and that's assuming the people making the games even understand them to the same extent as the players which isn't always the case.

Fighting games are enjoyed by different people for different reasons and Toribash not being at EVO doesn't mean anyone's closed off to the idea of non-conventional fighting games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've never been into Breakout-style games - some of them seem close enough to shooting games that I think I should enjoy them (especially the explicitly shooty ones like Gunbarich) but they always feel mega-random to me and I never stick with them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kid Fenris posted:

Were we really that picky about arcade ports as kids? I remember thinking it was lame that the character close-ups didn't animate in 2020 Super Baseball for the Super NES, but that didn't make me put my game-buying budget for the next three years into a Neo Geo.

You were if you owned a C64, I tell ya what.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If the homebrew emulator doesn't automatically do it then no, you have to play it vanilla.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Starfy's just Kirby with all the passion sucked out, basically.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Turbinosamente posted:

Somehow I couldn't put it as succinctly as this. And I was wondering where something was wrong with me in thinking Starfy was kinda soulless. Welp I'll see if I can beat it in a couple of hours or if boredom settles in first. Then go mine the backlog for something better to play. Gunpey DS probably.

To put it another way: have you heard of TOSE, the big contract studio that has been anonymously developing games for other developers/publishers for over 30 years? Starfy is TOSE's sole original franchise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You amigalords will probably love this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1093001909/rad-rodgers-the-return-of-the-90s-era-apogee-platf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHZfVCbssE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm nitpicking, I suppose, but the KS page makes it clear it's a DOS game throwback (Apogee, specifically), not Amiga.

Granted, nothing about that trailer makes me think "DOS", but it's what they're trying to go for, anyway.

They're namedropping Apogee because Interceptor Entertainment sorta-acquired 3D Realms who sorta-owned Apogee? I can't remember how that played out in the end but they're all very interconnected.

The developers are European and the game is extremely reminiscent of a specific Amiga game called Ruff 'n Tumble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kvpm4t4A1o

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It came up in the shmups thread but it's probably of wider interest to a lot of you:

M2, the retro port dudes behind Sega 3D Classics and other well-regarded retro re-release projects, have announced a new publishing label called "M2 ShotTriggers" for the purpose of porting and self-publishing old shmups, with the first two announced titles being Battle Garegga (a respected bullet hell game by Raizing that got a very good Saturn port) and Dangun Feveron (an obscure not-bullet-hell Cave game with a disco theme).

Both games were announced for digital release on PS4 and they're also doing a limited-edition retail release for Battle Garegga that'll include a CD, booklet and other bits and pieces.

These are the best possible people for the job and they've said they'll be doing console games as well as arcade titles, so if you're into these games or just like seeing companies dredge up weird old poo poo, you have a lot to look forward to.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 8, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Captain Rufus posted:

If they are gonna bring back old classic arcade SHMUPs/franchises of such can I vote for the Cresta series?

Moon Cresta and Terra Cresta are already available on PS4 as part of Hamster's not-terrible Arcade Archives series.

Hamster owns all the Nichibutsu games and recently acquired UPL's library as well, plus they're licensing big games from Konami, Taito, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 9, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

Dynamite Cop never showed up anywhere else did it? Every four months or so I get an itch to buy a Dreamcast and a copy of Dynamite Cop.

Nope, but there's a PS2 remake of Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka that brings it up to Dynamite Cop-quality visuals (so, marginally prettier).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Street Fighter The Movie The Game is both an arcade game and a movie game and it's fantastic.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

It's actually just SF2turbo with digitized actors instead of sprites! The arcade game itself is actually a completely different and more MK style fighter.

The home versions of SF:TM was an attempt to make the game play more like 2T but it's not actually a 2T reskin and there are new (for the time) mechanics in that game that aren't in 2T or SF:TM Arcade. It's not "secretly 2T", it's "secretly a crappy 2T total conversion" and it's not even as fun as SF:TM Arcade, let alone the real 2T.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think the Gradius Deluxe Pack is on PSN but even if it is, PS4 doesn't support PSX games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My favourite SF:TM console thing is their version of Blanka which is just "dude in a Carrot Top wig and camo shorts who refused to paint his skin green"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't immediately port the entire virtual boy catalog to 3ds.

-most VB games are trash

-there's no way to acknowledge the VB in an earnest way that won't be met with derision

-red dots on a black background (or any other high-contrast colour combo) plays havoc with the 3DS' autostereoscopic display and there's no way to make it look nice short of redrawing everything with a full palette, and they're not going to go to all that work to remaster a VB game when they won't even 3D-remaster games they know people will buy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The best VB game is Bound High and it never even came out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm playing the 3ds chibi robo game, and it's really good, but the real world products are jarring and the long in game descriptions are essentially commercials. Were the other games in the series like that?

Zip Lash is their "we're killing the franchise if this game doesn't make money" game so they pulled out all the stops to make it profitable, up to and including very unsubtle product placement. (It didn't work.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo of Japan announces a Famicom counterpart to the NES Classic Mini: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2016/160930.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQ02nXQQiM

The software spread is different by 8 games and their version comes with two (tiny!) FC controllers hardwired to the console, so... eh.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That Kunio game isn't the arena brawler, it's one of the athletics games (the first one, in fact).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I understand some of the omissions but I wonder why Japan isn't getting Bubble Bobble, it's as popular over there as everywhere else.

I'm also surprised Nintendo wasn't able to swing Dragon Quest, that would have made them a killing.

Random Stranger posted:

Still a good choice, but that would be Crash n' the Boys Street Challenge, then.

Nah, it's the athletics game that precedes Street Challenge. There are too many Kunio games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

It's a dumb nitpick but that interface just doesn't look "nintendo-ish" enough for me, like it's very obvious it's some other dudes making it. There's nothing I can really point my finger to, it just looks like some random emulator frontend or something instead of A Nintendo Product™

Nintendo's European R&D studio is making it (the one that used to be Mobiclip) so that's probably why it looks like the frontend for a cheap DVD player.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
In a similar vein, M2 is doing a limited-edition package for Battle Garegga that includes everything you might want except a physical copy of the game and it's a total buzzkill:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want to get a NES Mini for my kid but the controller cables really are too short for it to be practical.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

dogbone nes controllers are 10 feet long arent they? would they really take a big step back to six feet cables in 2016...

Six feet? try three.

The mini Famicom controllers are also absurdly small and are hardwired to the system.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's crazy how much better Sega was and is at everything than everyone else.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kid Fenris posted:

It really wasn't a failure; if it had been, Sega wouldn't have redesigned it and attempted another peripheral with the 32X.

Doubling down on failure was Sega's greatest defining characteristic.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I love that thing and I especially like the PAL version with the red buttons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've seen this image floating around the Japanese internet for a little while - I can't find an official source but it puts the Famicom Mini's controller at 90mm wide, which really does seem excessively small.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Chapter 3 of the Wonder Boy is Back! Saga - Wonder Boy Returns, a Korean remake of the original arcade game (the one that became Adventure Island): http://store.steampowered.com/app/523810/

man, remember Newgrounds?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Flaggy posted:

Can someone please tell my why Punisher on Sega Genesis is going for $150 and why I suddenly want it real bad?

Aside from general retro inflation, it's reasonably uncommon and is the only home version of a popular, post-SF2 Capcom brawler.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah I don't have much faith in that chili dog.

Also I can't believe they relegated Knuckles to beverage tier.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
M2 Does Ridiculous poo poo Chronicles, Chapter 69: they're updating their Power Drift 3DS port with a secondary mode that lets you play as these gaming juggernauts:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When Nintendo says they're supporting 3DS through 2018 they mean it - it's Japan's biggest hardware market and the audience there isn't desperate to move on like they are elsewhere, and there are still a lot of big games scheduled for the platform. They'll squeeze another year out of it without too much trouble and then they'll drop it like a rock.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

I really doubt nintendo had much to do with the creation of that thing beyond game selection and marketing/branding. iirc it was designed by sone european company, which is really obvious when you look at it's very un-nintendo menu interface

The software was by Nintendo European Research & Development, the studio formerly known as Mobiclip. I don't know who designed the hardware but I heard it's being made/shipped from Europe so maybe NERD did the hardware as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Are there any good Game Boy or Game Boy Color games that are a little lengthier and meatier than the usual GB game? I've played Link's Awakening but what else is there?

Metal Gear Solid is packed with content - there's the main game and a second loop/NG+ that's significantly different, plus 2D renditions of pretty much all the VR missions from the PSX game and some other stuff like multiplayer. It's a fully original game, not just a tie-in to the PSX game, and it's the best of all the 2D Metal Gear games.

Stranded Kids is the first in Konami's Lost in Blue series of lost-on-a-desert-island-sims and it's pretty hefty by GBC standards. I think there's a translation patch for the second GBC game, too.

Legend of the River King is a fun fishing RPG from the Harvest Moon devs, get the second one if you're interested. (The GBC HM games aren't particularly good, by the by.)

If you're into Wizardry then there are quite a few Wizardry games for GB & GBC: remakes of the first three NES games, three original gaiden games, two more original games that tie into some PSX titles, maybe a couple more. They're all JP-only but most of them let you pick English from the settings menu and the others have been fan-translated.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

The fact that you referred to them as remakes of NES games makes my eye twitch.

Yeah, remakes of the NES ports is more accurate. Most if not all of the JP Wizardry 1/2/3 remakes use the FC version as their base; only the PCE versions are based on the original games, as far as I know.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 5, 2016

• Locked thread