Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
May I suggest adding these guys to the Youtube Idiots section as they are probably the best RGB explanation video I have seen and a huge help for newcomers:

My Life in Gaming - The RGB Master Class

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSR1ZDDQRgjg6S9D2YQ4rwnZ

Great OP tho.

silentq15 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008

Drone posted:

It's super simple nowadays. Just never ever unplug your Pi without shutting it down first, otherwise you'll corrupt your microSD card. In fact, once you get everything set up the way you want it with all of your roms and emulators configured perfectly for your tastes, immediately make a backup of the microSD card image to your PC or laptop. That way in case it ever does go corrupt, you can restore it within a matter of minutes.

Edit: don't bother trying to get N64, Saturn, or Dreamcast working until you've got some more experience with the Pi under your belt. All three require overclocking and even then they generally don't work well. In the N64's case I'm not sure if the problem is the hardware so much as it is that N64 emulation itself generally kinda sucks, but maybe it'll be better whenever we get a Raspberry Pi Model 4.

It's an absolute dream for running PSX and earlier though. Also MAME stuff.

I have to say after reading this I went to try PSX on my Pi 3 and wow I am stunned how well it runs games pretty much flawlessly at 60 fps incredible! I honestly just never tried on mine simply because N64 ran like crap and I just felt PSX would be the same. This completely opens up a new bunch of games for me to revisit and in the case of imports to try on my Pi so thanks!

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008

Caitlin posted:

oh whatever, go download 'em on emuparadise

Wow never realized they had these scans buried in emuparadise's menus lol.

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

oh god shine sparking is a thing in this game? blah. Well, that explains the one spot where you have to super bomb and then speed boost through a wall without enough space to build up charge. Is it still just hold down when you boost into an incline?

The two big shinespark puzzles in the game are very tough but its nothing that isn't reasonable to do once you truely master shinesparking. Even if your approaching it from "I have never shinesparked before" after a few attempts it can be figured out, and its satisfying when you do.

silentq15 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 10, 2016

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
Funny how we now in a matter of a week have 2 Nintendo fan projects that have been in development for so long that they are retro already.

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
Just a heads up for all you Retropie users apparently Retropie 4.0 was just released which has improvements for N64 emulation amoung other things.

https://retropie.org.uk/2016/08/retropie-4-0-released/

silentq15 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 19, 2016

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere and I figured I would ask. Does anybody know if European Arcade Machines ran at PAL 50Hz or did they run at the NTSC 60Hz? I have Googled but I can't seem to find any info on this. Maybe somebody else knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Arcade monitors used raw RGB, there's no NTSC or PAL distinction, they are the same across all regions. The refresh rates are all over the place. DonPachi and DDP, for example, run at 57.4hz. R-Type, Image Fight, and Ninja Spirit are 55hz, and look especially weird on a modern 60hz computer display. Toaplan's last hardware revision does straight 60hz. Arcade monitors needed to be incredibly flexible to handle all that stuff.

Thanks for the answer I was actually wondering because I was curious if MAME Euro Roms for the most part ran at full speed compared to their US/Japan counterparts. Seeing this I would imagine they do.

• Locked thread