Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Modding consoles so they can use RGB and hooking them up to a PVM is all fine and dandy, but if you want the real authentic retro gaming experience you daisy chain a bunch of RF adapters up to a crappy tv. Picture quality, what's that? Ten year old me didn't care and honestly RF doesn't bother today me either.

The reason I say this because although I have a Trinitron it's an old 80s model that only has RF output.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think FF8 gets alot of hate because it's mechanics were a radical departure from the usual FF experience, it really didn't feel like a FF game at times. The emo teen love story probably didn't help either.

For example? Leveling up in other FF games, your guys get stronger and learn new abilities. Level up in FF8? Does jack all and instead makes the monsters stronger like in a Bethesda game. Learning magic and abilities in other FF games? Either through leveling up, jobs, or slotted gems of some kind. In FF8 you have to suck the magic out of enemies using a very tedious process and it's what summons your guys are equipped with that determines their abilities. Getting new gear in other FF games? Usually bought or found. In FF8? Haha gently caress you go hunt down some rare and pain in the rear end to find crafting materials. Wanna earn money in other FF games, easy just kill some monsters. In FF8? Haha gently caress you again you have to wait for a paycheck and you gotta 100% a stupid test to get paid more. The game really hates level grinding in general, come to think of it, and don't even get me started on the card game....Of course once you understood FF8's oddball Junction system it was real easy to break the game over your knee.

I am so glad Square came to their senses and made FF9 more traditional in terms of gameplay. At least FF8's music was kickass and the modern setting was a neat departure, I guess. :shrug:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 27, 2017

• Locked thread