Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

I think I've added all the suggestions made so far as far as links etc go, if I've missed anything post it below. for the people asking why handheld systems, etc. aren't mentioned, I just haven't gotten around to it, the OP is a living document like the menu of TGI fridays.

Looks like some YT links got autopasted into video tags in that section.

Here are some nerds I occasionally watch play old games on Twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh - currently the Twitch MAME roulette king
https://www.twitch.tv/macaw45 - Sometimes does JP computer stuff, which gets no coverage and is pretty interesting
https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw - does a shmup-only MAME roulette, also taught me how to play mahjong :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any recommendations on good titles from this era?

The best 2D golf game is Neo Turf Masters, by a wide margin. There are plenty of others to try, but this one is the easiest to play and the most stylish. Made by Nazca, same ex-Irem dudes who went on to do Metal Slug in '96.

FireMrshlBill posted:

And the guy responded and said it was listed wrong and should have been $100... great.

Should I go for it still? Like I said most PVM's I have seen in the last year or so on CL go for well over $200, even the smaller screens, because people know retro gamers are seeking them out.

Absolutely not. He's trying to bait-n-switch you. This might be against the craigslist TOS? If so, report his rear end.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

However, a good chunk of games do not support VGA output, so you either need to suffer with composite or get a s-video to HDMI converter as well.

This is not true, as Instant Sunrise's link proves. The only disappointments here are Bangai-O and Airforce Delta.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Really it's a wonder AM2R survived for, what seven years and two or three demos and actually came out.

After playing it for a few hours, it's kinda romhack amateur in the design department. I'm stuck because they hid one of the metroids in area 3 behind some stupid poo poo. It's the last one I need to move on. I bombed literally every wall and cannot find it.

- The metroids' carapaces (even the baby alphas) deflect missles and make them way more difficult than they should be.
- Save point locations are really inconsistent - they are everywhere starting out but there are some spots near difficult challenges that lack one. Also it takes way too long to save, the original was instantaneous.
- There is a dark room section in area 3 with no mechanic to light it up. Maybe it's just me, but I loving hate these.
- A boss in area 2 has an interesting mechanic but it's entirely RNG-based, thankfully the boss and item it drops are optional (I think).
- Whatever DirectX code they're using does not work with my card's hardware Vsync. I normally don't play action games with it on, but it looks especially bad without it, so I have to use theirs and suffer the input lag.
- A minor bitch but having to press start at the title screen and wait for the animation just to quit the game is dumb.
- They let you place a marker on the map. A marker, you can only have one at a time, lol.
- I don't recall if this was in other Metroid games, but it really irks me having to bomb destructible blocks to see what destructs them, instead of just shooting them.
- The charge shot has been almost completely useless so far.
- You can wall-jump but that is also useless due to how early you get the Space Jump and Spider Ball.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 8, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

:barf: mods pls ban this sick filth

cenotaph posted:

If you guys think the babby metroids are tedious wait until you hit the omegas. Sure would be nice if you could save before you fight the first one, too.

I found my missing metroid and continued the game. It was a one-block hole in the ceiling that was on the far side of a dead-end metroid room. There hasn't been much other bullshittery, aside from a couple optional shinesparking puzzles I gave up on. Just killed the first Omega, as mentioned, and yup, the closest save point was 30 mins beforehand. I thought I was hosed but it turned out easier than expected - all its attacks are avoidable if you use the safe spot on the far right side of the room. The Zetas and their missle-blocking claws were far worse. I still think the game's a bit romhacky and needlessly difficult in spots, but I take back some of what I said before. Overrall it's A Good Game. :thumbsup:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

cenotaph posted:

I hosed up on the safe spot and got knocked into the other room. Had to fight him without any super missiles. Took forever.

Yup, same exact thing happened to me. However, like I said, I found a solution pretty quickly, however tedious it was.

A.o.D. posted:

Well, that explains the one spot where you have to super bomb and then speed boost through a wall without enough space to build up charge.

This is one of the puzzles I gave up on. I'm guessing you have to spark in the main room, hit the incline near the door, then press down, go through the door, morph, drop a super, unmorph, drop down and spark right. The timing is way too tight.

Protip for shinesparking in general - hit the jump button before hitting the direction you want to go. Don't press both simultaneously. It's like a MK move input. I had lots of trouble in Super Metroid but I figured this out in Zero Mission and it's been a lot easier since.

TeaJay posted:

In general, not being able to save whenever you want is a thing that should've stayed in the past.

On the flipside, I'm a horrible save-scummer in PC games with stealth gameplay, so it goes both ways.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Finished AM2R. Last boss was piss-easy and went on just a bit too long, but it had a fun twist at the end. Again, there's no save point by the boss - only at the start of the last area. None of the other Omegas or vanilla 'troids on the way gave me any trouble, either. I was kinda expecting some silly but epic TLB during the exit sequence, but it didn't come. Oh well. See you next mission.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

fishmech posted:

The Sega Saturn was capable of running games solely off the cartridge

I don't think this is true. If it were, wouldn't there be Saturn flashcarts?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

flyboi posted:

Not only that but you can even run Saturn games from the vcd card slot!

I"m aware of this, I watched the video. I was specifically referring to the toploading cart slot, where one normally puts a PAR. I didn't know there was a Chinese product, was it abandoned because most of the good Saturn games are arcade ports and MAME is cool and good? I'm guessing there are technical complications in loading code through the cart slot, which is why UK dude is going through the backdoor.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

d0s posted:

it's a combination of aesthetic sanity (no waifus) and a central lock-on mechanic no cave game has ever had, it's also just a lot more fun to me than late cave

I've put a few hours into Mushi Steam and I find it's exhilarating and satisfying to play, the very essence of what makes quasi-modern shmups fun. Ultra modes (minus Novice) can gently caress right off, though.

e: An example is weaving around, macro-dodging the return bullets from the large green flying bugs in stage 4, blowing them up one after another. That's just great.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 20, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

That's why I bought the dream cast gdu flash drive thing.

Someone may have answered this at some point, but are there original GD-ROM images out there? All I ever came across were hacked-up DiscJuggler shits made to fit on a CDR, which was fine I guess, but that's not gonna cut it for proper preservation.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

flyboi posted:

There's two archive projects like TOSEC for console media - TruRip and ReDump.

This is super useful, thank you Gizmo butler.

fishmech posted:

Yeah I can send you a link to a great site if you want.

user name at the g mail

Rollersnake posted:

One of the reasons Radiant Silvergun is my favorite shmup is that it barely even reuses normal enemies in a genre where reusing all the bosses is the norm.

Something neat I noticed about the 4th-gen Toaplan shmups (Tatsujin Oh, Dogyuun, V-V, Batsugun) is that none of the enemies are reused between stages. Fillin up dem sprite roms.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 21, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

As for unbeatable games, the only other one I can think of is Mission Impossible (heh) for the Atari.

That was Impossible Mission, was unrelated to the MI license, and ported to pretty much every western-accessible 8-bit platform. I had the actually impossible Atari 7800 version, but I didn't play it far enough to figure that out.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 21, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Happy 25th you ugly boxy grey-purple mofo that was like putting a bad Fiero based shell on a Ferrari.

More like a Fiero on a Model-T. :rimshot:

MrLonghair posted:

PCE vs TG16 is also a headscratcher.

Basically "'Murca." They wanted it roughly the same size as the MD because US consumers don't like diminutive electronics. They also spent way too much time and money on the redesign, and that was a major reason for its delayed launch and subsequent failure to gain significant market share. Someone posted a comprehensive article on all this at some point in the old thread, but I'm not gonna go looking for links.

Wasn't this supposed to be white? I seem to recall the one I saw on GCCX being white. Pretty gross!

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Maybe I should look into playing Truxton as well...

You should absolutely play Truxton. The MD port is a good starting point, as it has an easy mode and they buffed the red weapon with a circular shield (at max power only) which takes care of those rear end in a top hat zakos that pop up behind you. Also the skull bomb is no longer aim-able and just nukes the whole playfield at once. The rom is exactly the same for all 3 regions, but seems optimized for 50hz. It's still playable on NTSC consoles. Includes those little fireballs on enemies as you damage them. :3:

The PC-Engine port is JP-only. It has great colors, music, and runs at the proper speed, but is actually harder than the arcade version on default settings due to the bullets being roughly the same speed but 1/3 less screen space to read them. The options menu can be accessed by holding select and pressing run at the title screen (as opposed to the soft reset which is holding run and pressing select). If you score exactly 7100 points and reset the menu gets more options to toggle, such as lives and bombs.

The arcade version is, of course, the master race. It looks and sounds beautiful and has ton of great animations everywhere (everything "wobbles"). But make no mistake, the Japanese name "Tatsujin" means "expert" and it's a tough checkpoint-based memorizer filled with gently caress-you-player moments. The static extends are as follows: stage 1 (green), stage 2 (red), stage 5(?)(blue) - this applies to all versions of the game. Adjust your weapon pickups accordingly, you really need those 1ups. Also, the game was designed with macro-dodging at maximum ship speed in mind; don't be afraid to pick up all those S-es.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I even saw someone on eBay selling one of these explicitly as a reproduction from what was almost definitely the same source for over twenty dollars.

Sourcing cheap poo poo from China and marking it up is something literally every single western company does. :capitalism:

I played Tales of Destiny for a bit yesterday. I had a used copy of the game waybackwhen but never finished it, and in hindsight of SCEA's localization practices, I'm amazed this game slipped through their stupid anti-2D net. There isn't a polygon in sight (minus the world map), and it's beautiful. Same with the PS1 Mega Mans and SotN. Are there any other noteworthy 2D games (minus arcade ports/comps) that avoided this policy? I also had Tales of Eternia, which was amazing except for the 20fps battle engine, but I think by that point SCEA stopped caring.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 28, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Chrontendo Episode 50!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaAe0qXhAeo

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Decided to watch a longplay of Final Fight to see if there was some MLG pro tier strat for dealing with him, and, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3OqLXBt2I&t=616s

Longplays aren't pro strats. They're tool-assisted runs played blind by people who don't know anything about the game. Not to mention poo poo 2007 encoding practices. You want Replay Burners for the real thing.

Everyone was a stupid teenager once.

I listened to actual music as a teenager. :shrug:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/user/cubex55/about

World of Longplays posted:

Almost all of the videos are tool-assisted!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Ugh. Now I'm depressed. I clicked on a stupid clickbait listicle because I was bored. It was "the most popular game the year you were born", so I figured I'd look at it, find its picks hilariously wrong, have a laugh about it. I click on the thing, bring up the first item.

It starts in 1982. I was born in `81. I'm old and irrelevant.

Not sure about the protoconsoles (although I imagine the VCS Activision library is sizable at this point), but 1981 saw some rather legendary arcade titles released. Probably the most popular would be Donkey Kong. Others:

Frogger
Galaga
Scramble / Super Cobra

Not as popular, but noteworthy for various reasons:

Borderline (Sega, possibly the first run-n-gun-style game?)
Fantasy (SNK, a super-silly but fun multigenre game with impressive voice samples)
Turbo (Sega, predates and influenced Namco's Pole Position)
Qix (Taito, spawned a bajillion derivatives, a lot of them lewd games)
Red Clash (Tekhan, the first vert STG to feature a non-starfield scrolling background?)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I would argue that any of the influential arcade shmups that came out in 84 were more popular than VS. Duck Hunt (most notably 1942), but that's probably just me being biased for my favorite genre.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

SP-1 hardware Seibu was the beautiful swan song of it, Raiden Fighters series is to Raiden III what Darius Gaiden was to G-Darius.

Wish they'd all transfered to 3D as well as Gradius and R-Type did.

I think G-Darius is actually a pretty cool game. It's just the most common version (PS1) wasn't coded optimally and crawls. Try it in MAME sometime. There's also Darius Burst, which is 3D and a lot of the shmup community loves. Border Down is good and basically a Darius game, without the nice colors and fishmechs (!).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Two good ball-n-paddle arcade games are Toaplan's Ghox and Seta's Thunder And Lightning. Both can be played with joystick controls.

You'll need ThunderMAME's samplehacks for sound in the former, and the latter is super-cute and probably Seta's best game, honestly. Their shmups were loving abysmal (except maybe Thundercade).

There's also Puchi-Carat, which is similar to Puzzle Bobble and is full of waifus I think?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

This all turned out to be accurate with regards to 3D. :eyepop:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Anyone got a rundown of all the randomizer rom hack programs out there nowadays? I asked in the modding thread but that thread is more concerned with bethesda mods

poo poo like the Earthbound Reshuffler, I'm talking about.

Off the top of my head, there's Zelda, Dragon Warrior, and I think Super Metroid. The DQ one is pretty cool, but you can also get some bullshit like slimes casting Hurtmore.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

flyboi posted:

It was obviously the first game I played followed by Judgement Silversword but had been playing some Gunpey because it's too fun and didn't want to lose my save.

The only WS game I've played is the Makai Toushi Saga (Final Fantasy Legend) English-translated remake, and some jerky scrolling aside (might be an emulator thing? I used BizHawk) it was rather awesome since I'm a fan of the original. Definitely check that one out.

Captain Rufus posted:

If they are gonna bring back old classic arcade SHMUPs/franchises of such can I vote for the Cresta series?

Hell yeah. I haven't played much Moon Cresta, but Terra is neat in that it's one of the first arcade shmups to use a 68k CPU and FM sound and has those prominent Nichibutsu cymbals which appeared in every game of theirs afterwards. You also can't cheese it with autofire - the max rate is something slow and weird like 6.xx hz, so it's better to just learn the rhythm on your own. The sequel Terra Force, on the other hand... has some interesting ideas but it's not as fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hamster owns all the Nichibutsu games and recently acquired UPL's library as well, plus they're licensing big games from Konami, Taito, etc.

Awesome. Omega Fighter is loving insane and more people should play it. Hamster and M2 keeping it alive for arcade ports.

silentq15 posted:

I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere and I figured I would ask. Does anybody know if European Arcade Machines ran at PAL 50Hz or did they run at the NTSC 60Hz? I have Googled but I can't seem to find any info on this. Maybe somebody else knows?

Arcade monitors used raw RGB, there's no NTSC or PAL distinction, they are the same across all regions. The refresh rates are all over the place. DonPachi and DDP, for example, run at 57.4hz. R-Type, Image Fight, and Ninja Spirit are 55hz, and look especially weird on a modern 60hz computer display. Toaplan's last hardware revision does straight 60hz. Arcade monitors needed to be incredibly flexible to handle all that stuff.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 9, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Looking at the 50.x hz list in MAME, there are a few. Euro-only versions of Dragon's Lair, Russian bootlegs on ZX Spectrum hardware, Galaxian clones, etc.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My friend has a copy of Zero Wing for the Sega Mega Drive, and I dunno, despite people saying the SNES had a better sound system, Zero Wing sounds really awesome on a modern speaker system

The Genesis has good audio; it is definitely capable. It's merely different than the SNES. The SNES is all sample-based which is how you get epic soundtracks like FFVI that you would never really get on the Genesis. But the Genesis sounds great in games where they don't try to be what they aren't.

This Is A Good Answer. FM synthesis kinda sounds like tinny robot farts, but it's pretty versatile (compared to say, PSG sound in the SMS) and in the right hands it can be really great. Zero Wing in particular sounds better than the arcade OST, mainly because they added a great drum track. Top Hats Monthly, please check out the following MD OSTs for more peak FM synth:

Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Verytex
Shadow Dancer
Kyukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra

And anything by Yuzo Koshiro:
Revenge of Shinobi
Streets of Rage 2
Slap Fight MD ("special" mode tracks, my personal favorite)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Genesis is great at tinny robot farts and SNES is great at reverb-y slap bass.

The SNES can generally do string instruments really well, including piano, acoustic guitar, and all styles of bass, not just slap.

Star Man posted:

When I can finally spring for a PS4, the Arcade Archives releases of Gradius games will be there waiting for me.

Are the various PS1 Deluxe Packs not available on the digital store? I had the Saturn versions of those and they were fantastic.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PS4 doesn't support PSX games.

Whaaaa? That's really disappointing.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I recall the marketing for GC OOT/Master Quest said it's higher resolution than the original. So 640x400 or whatever. It might support 480p as well (most? all? 1st-party GC stuff did). They didn't do anything about the horrendous framerate, though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

I'm surprised the PCE emulation discussion continued after this post by discussing some ancient piece of deliberately-hobbled shareware in any level of depth beyond "lmbo".

Magic Engine does have an overclocking feature you can use to combat slowdown. It turns the port of Gradius from unplayable mess to awesome. BizHawk doesn't have this, dunno about the other emus.

Other than that, yeah, don't use Magic Engine. There are better, free solutions available.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

d0s posted:

Stuff like retroarch and bizhawk just seems like a hassle to set up for someone who isn't really passionate about emulation or setting up a HTPC type thing to connect to a TV.

I've never used Retroarch, but BizHawk requires no effort - run the EXE, feed it a ROM, any ROM or ISO from a system it supports, and it knows what it is and loads the correct core and a core-specific menu usually appears at the top. Hotkeys, blitters, sync options, scaling and the like are global and used between cores.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a toss-up, with a better translation and extra content but also some battle slowdown that really shouldn't be there. Knowing FFT fans, though, there's probably a hack that fixes all of that and I'm too lazy to look.

Yes, there is. This fix turns it into the definitive version of the game. FFIV Complete is also its definitive version. Good job PSP!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Trails in the Sky is well worth getting on PSP, and you can get TiTS: Second Chapter off of the PSN store.

Unless you absolutely need it to be portable, get the PC releases instead. They are goon-translated, and from what I understand, the project was incredibly stressful and nearly killed SpaceDrake.

people posted:

Contrachat

Has anyone played Contra Rebirth? Castlevania and Gradius rebirths were pretty drat good with incredible soundtracks (M2 :swoon:), so I'm guessing Contra is the same. Shame they're stuck on the Wii platform, though.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 18, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

iastudent posted:

Been a while since I've stuck my head in here, but a couple of us arcade-centric streamers are doing a "1CC marathon" at the end of the month.

Schedule and stream link are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UuRCJbIJoL6WP95NszxkO-rJyld05PldgWQhu6_K98Q/edit?usp=sharing

We did a similar thing last year and people seemed to enjoy it, should be a little bit for everyone there!

Yeah, the last one was great. Looking forward to this. Why are they leting Trap play J.J. Squakers again? Game isn't that good.

e: New Generation-16 episode! That Dangerous Seed soundtrack is great. Had to acquire it after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OL30Zy7IJo

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 18, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Man, Gekirindan is awful! It's just as bad as Double Wings or Air Gallet!

You mentioned two of the Not-Toaplan-But-Toaplan games!

Gyrodine (Crux)
Kyukyoku Tiger II (Takumi)
Gekirindan (Taito)
Air Gallet (Gazelle)
DonPachi (Cave)

All had former (or future, in Gyro's case) Toaplan staff on their dev teams, and could feasibly be included in their library if you look at them at the right angle.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

If I had a 1XB XB1 first x box (dammit MS), I'd get the Burnout games, ie the best racing games ever.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I stand by my opinion that FF8 is terrible. :v:

I believe this opinion. I thought some of the game-y stuff was ok (even the card game once I figured it out), but the story, characters, and graphical style were all poo poo and they failed to make me care about any of it. This was where the series lost me. FF9 was good (if a little weird), though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Nothing beats the pizza from the american cartoon TMNT though, with its physics defying inifinitely stretchy cheese.

Also at some point they ran with a gag where the toppings were some seriously wacky poo poo. The only one I can remember was linguine and clam sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Cinemassacre actually did a ninja turtles pizza taste test. They went through every episode, made the pizzas, and had their friends eat them and give their opinions. It's pretty funny.

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/05/19/tmnt-pizza-taste-test/

Holy gently caress. Apparently I misremembered the example I gave. I like the guy at the end suggesting the sewer-themed "turd and tampon" pizza.

d0s posted:

oh noooo

Is this an arcade pcb?

• Locked thread