Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well I can't beat Redeye in American rags but maybe I can get the world record for Japanese rags. Been steadily collecting Technopolis lots and Dengeki PC Engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Hey, kind of a weird tangent, I guess, but if there's anyone who would know the answer to this question, I'd assume you guys would.

I just got the PS4 port of the PS2 game The Warriors - and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was watching the intro FMV, and one of the characters says "Are you going human being?"

It really surprised me - I don't recall hearing that at all when I played it, and I'm surprised that they kept the phrase in the game. I haven't seen the film - shame on me - so I'm assuming that it's drawn verbatim from it?

But it got me thinking - what other games have ever prominently used the word 'human being?' Because your garden variety swears of 'gently caress' and 'drat' and 'poo poo' et al have certainly become commonplace - but thankfully human being hasn't, and it's certainly fallen out of use in recent years.

I can remember, back in 2005 (when this game was released) and certainly before it, that I would utilize the epithet, casually even, in conversation and on the internet, but since then I've come to blanch and react negatively to it as strongly as I would incredibly strong racial epithets, which now brings me to a better inquiry - how many notable games in history have utilized what are certainly now nearly forbidden epithets/insults?

It's a direct quote from the movie. I'm hard pressed to think of any examples. The protagonist of M rated games are too macho to have their sexuality questioned and no matter how crude they are they wouldn't call another character that, usually because the subject matter wouldn't allow it (too busy shootan' mans to have a conversation).

Off the top of my head there's Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude which has a mascot called Twiggy, a literal bundle of sticks on fire. I think GTA3 had a "fag" joke about a cigarette company since that was DMA Design and they were still heavily British for a game set in America. They probably said it in Harvester, a terrible FMV game designed to be crude. And I think it also crops up in The Orion Conspiracy, an old adventure game about a guy investigating his homosexual son's murder.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I listen to Louis CK, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, etc. all the time, so I still hear that term a lot in their comedy and podcasts. I also don't remember hearing that in the game, but its been awhile since I played it. But ya, in 2005 it wasn't as taboo as it is now and since it is rated M, I don't see Rockstar editing that out. Especially since it is a "period piece" and based off the movie (and possibly the book?).

What pisses me off is that I have that game and Bully downloaded on my PS3, however, if I want them on my PS4 then I would have to buy them again... what is this? Nintendo eshop?!?!? Plus, I think they are like $9.99 games on the PS3 but $15 on the PS4?

Also, apparently there may be a show based off The Warriors in the works to air on either Amazon Prime or Hulu? At least there is talk of it being made.

Edit: as to your question, does Cartman go off on his usually anti-Semitic rants on Kyle in any of the South Park games? I still haven't gotten around to playing the Stick of Truth or whatever it's called.

Yeah, it sucks given Microsoft's "put the disc in" approach, but the PS4 versions are actual remasters compared to the PS3 versions which are emulated. They frequently go on sale enough that I don't mind it. Bully right now is $10 and some change.

Regarding Stick of Truth, "Jew" is an entire player class but it honestly feels like they stuck it in only because it's so strongly associated with Cartman (it's basically a priest-warrior). Cartman comments on it during the character select screen then basically never again even when Kyle shows up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gio posted:

I have all of these. The boxes have plenty of scuffs, but the contents inside are pristine.

Ultima IV lists on the box what it comes with, and mine is definitely complete. Ultima V has a ton of poo poo with it, including metal ankh and cloth map.

asking again: Does it matter if the disks play or not?

Generally speaking yes. Hardware can have the caveat of being "as-is" but I don't think games are covered by that. eBay favors the buyer so all it takes is someone upset to force a refund. Given the target audience I think you'll be safe, most people buying computer games that old just want the packaging, but there's always a risk.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drone posted:

Isn't there also often as much (or more?) demand for the "feelies" that come with those games as for the games themselves?

That's what I'm saying. People buying old computer games want the contents. The disks are volatile, I wonder how many people overwrote their original media which is why the manuals would tell you to make backups.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

Nah, original media was always write-protected and you needed a set mind to get around that. Disks were always stupidly-fragile and I had a few games which specifically included a mail-in coupon you could send in with like :10bux: or something for a 2nd set of legit disks because they were extremely failure-prone.

Maybe 3 1/2" games but I'm pretty sure you could overwrite 5 1/4".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's what "collector's editions" are.

Kind of. Feelies were basically copy protection, Infocom basically used them to pass otherwise impossible puzzles. Now you get a statue and stuff but it's nothing directly tied to the game itself.

Ni no Kuni was the last really cool one where you got a physical copy of the game's book. The book was in the game digitally but physical owners had a leg up as you had to unlock stuff in-game.

e: One of the Gears games wrote your DLC code on the cog itself. I wish more games integrated physical and digital. Look on the back of the CD case for Meryl's code and all that. I know you gotta look out for the digital players but just have an alternate means of success or put it in the digital manual.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 17, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

That stuff really came to an end by the mid-90's sadly. Now it's all in the collector's editions.

I suspect that was the other baseball fan in the thread. :v:

They weren't always used as copy protection, though that was a pretty common use of them. The Hitchhiker's stuff, for example, has no connection to any of the puzzles in the game (well, other than the Microscopic Space Fleet actually being in the game).

Actually, I can't recall any significant time that Infocom used the feelies as copy protection and I've beaten every single Infocom game. Sometimes they were used for hints but they were not required.

Maybe Leather Goddesses of Phobos integrated things enough that you might consider it copy protection. There was copy protection in the manual of A Mind Forever Voyaging as well but that was pretty explicitly copy protection and not a cool extra thing.

I would argue the copy protection of Hitchiker's Guide is the book itself :colbert:.

Off the top of my head I know Deadline (the first feelie game) and The Lurking Horror require the information. Suspended's map is absolutely necessary although you could stumble around blind until making your own maps. Not having the feelies didn't lock you out of the game, but outside of their early titles before incorporation feelies (Zork, Planetfall) I couldn't imagine playing a game blind without them especially if it came with a map and they would intentionally limit the information you received on a "look" command.

So no, it's not literal "ENTER CODE 52 ON PAGE 15 OR THE GAME WILL SHUT DOWN" but good luck playing those titles without the physical extras in 1980-whatever.

e: Shoot, I'm reminded how cool Suspended was. Anyone play Duskers?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Technical issues aside, Starfox 2 is really cool and I wish they'd give it an official port/re-release instead of reinterpreting it as crappier games.

Same. Nintendo's handling of some of their franchises is super frustrating and would you look at that, Federation Force is getting thrashed by critics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I definitely don't want to play the translation of Phantasia again. It was cool as an angsty teenager where these characters talk about loving and haha that guy abuses his research assistant but today? naaah.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

As someone who participates in a few hobbies, the defensiveness people get over the destruction of a SNES copy of a game you couldn't give away is baffling. Especially considering when these hobbies overlap, I imagine some of you would have heart attacks if you knew what the video synthesizer community was doing to Vectrexes. I'm even thinking about getting a second vectrex to gut and turn into a really slick video synthesizer.

Now that I know people are destroying something that's actually rare and valuable to turn into something that can be purchased on the commercial market I'm totally compiling a hit list right now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have $500 wooden connectors for your PS1 to get that superior-to-every-format audio any takers?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll throw it in with silver braided cords, let's say $1,000? Your old games will never sound clearer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first dothack series was a pretty major release, I bought mine at a KMART of all places. Being part of a series does inflate the price. It was never collected so the only people buying parts 2-4 are in it for completion. You also had an anime DVD which drives up the price of CIB.

The second series is when Xbox 360 and that generation consoles hit the market so of course nobody wants this old, mediocre three part series except for die hard completionists and fans.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh wow, this is a great example, though I think it was more of a glaring oversight than a scam. As for unbeatable games, the only other one I can think of is Mission Impossible (heh) for the Atari. Any other games unbeatable due to bugs?

What about games that can actually be damaged to the point where it's unusable? I think there is only one case of this in history, but I can't find it for some reason. It was one of the GBA Mega Man games. Basically there was a glitch (difficult to pull off luckily) that would corrupt the save data, and for whatever reason, the game refused to boot with corrupted save data with no way to erase it, bricking the cart. I really doubt there is any other instance of this but if there is, I'd love to know about it.

Just running broken games off the top of my head: Jak 2 has a weird bug where if you save the game at 89% or something it won't trigger the next mission. Viewtiful Joe's demo disc can easily reformat your PS2 memory card. The DOS version of TMNT based on the Konami NES game is unbeatable without a password because the infamous sewer jump can't be made by any means.

In cool slips, super rare and $1,000 Sega CD game Keio Flying Squadron had a UK "demo disc" that contained the full game. It would kick you out after level 1 but if you knew the level skip cheat you could continue playing from the second stage onward.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I regret not sending in the card for a Rocket Knight Adventures t-shirt.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

wait what

are we literally talking a dio video game here?

No, just a weird action platformer that drives speedrunners nuts because a lot of enemies are erratically flying monsters straight from the Medusa Head school of design but even less predictable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Castlevania IV holds the distinction of being the only video game I ever dreamt about (which is actually pretty amazing now that I think about it). I saw it on the TV show Gamepro had (the one hosted by that redhead kid who is still doing TV shows) and I was so blown away by the stage that looks like it's inside a rolling pin that I had a dream that night that I won it in a contest and I was sooooo pissed when I woke up and I didn't have it.

I actually think it's the best Castlevania but I know that's sacrilegious. I typically like my games to be very linear. I don't mind when rpgs aren't but I don't wanna futz around in my action games.

Nah, I agree with you. The most frustrating thing about Castlevania's design to me is that it demands the average player memorize the location of and rely heavily on subweapons because of your ridiculous movement limitations. Seeing people beat that game with whip only are like wizards to me because gently caress if I can do anything without getting holy water and praying nothing else drops. How old school Castlevania survived so long without some ability to ignore dropped subweapons or bank them is beyond me. No, I don't want to accidentally run into a dagger and have my precious cross fly off the edge of a platform you dicks. Even Contra offered that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The SFC reminds me of candy cabs: rounded, featureless, simple, sleek. It is a Japanese salaryman; all business, no nonsense, it will work overtime in the harshest conditions without complaint.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Gaijin Gamer's Guide to Japanese (to guide you through the mountain of import games)
Part 3: Referencing Japanese

Part 1: Kana
Part 2: Kanji

So you've learned the kana, maybe picked up some kanji. Now you're ready to make use of the basics to begin communicating and comprehending Japanese. But I hear your concerns already. "How do I type in Japanese? How do you express thousands of kanji using an English keyboard?? How do you reference a dictionary where the characters express meaning, not pronunciation???" This will be a short section because the hard work is already out of the way.

Setting up your keyboard to type in Japanese

http://redcocoon.org/cab/mysoft.html
https://www.coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese801/install_ime.html

This is a relatively simple process. Follow the steps above for Mac and Windows users. I use Windows so that'll be my frame of reference. Windows will memorize which window you set to Japanese language mode and this is helpful because I find it easier to type in a separate window then copy/paste where I need the text.

By default you'll want to type in hiragana. IME features a rather smart conversion system where pressing space will convert the kana to kanji or katakana if it's a recognized loan word. Majority of the time it will select the appropriate one but you can use the arrow keys to choose something different.

Some helpful shortcuts for windows

alt shift: cycle between installed language packs
alt capslock: switch to katakana
ctrl capslock: switch to hiragana
alt ~: cycle between kana and romaji (alphabet)

Practice a bit by typing out the verbs we looked at earlier. Press space after typing the verb to convert it directly to kanji. If you get the wrong kanji use up/down to select the right one.

I typed みる which almost always means 見る "to see" but if I meant something else I could change it.

IME is kind of smart in that it understands context.

Here the #1 recommendation is 診る which is pronounced the same as "to see" but means "to examine (medically)." Why did it make this change? Because I preceded it with 歯医者 (はいしゃ) "dentist." In English a doctor could say "I'm ready to see you" and we understand what they mean. Well in Japanese it's the same thing but when dealing with text you have to specify your meaning with the appropriate kanji.

Optical Character Recognition

Several programs exist to take a captured screenshot and convert it to text. Personally I use Capture2Text which seems to be designed for rapidly translating manga. It gives me finer control with selection boxes and hot keys.

unfortunately it's not very accurate for certain video games. It's designed for high contrast text, black on white, and is more accurate the smaller the font is.

I have it set up to output text directly to notepad++

The outputted result includes some gibberish, but the important thing is that it got 2-out-of-3 kanji correct which is reliable enough for general use.

So we're 2/3 accurate. How do we get the other 1/3?

Using An Online Dictionary

Online dictionaries are where you'll spend the bulk of your time. My favorite is Jisho. It will transliterate English to kana and closely match the word you're looking for.

Hover over links to receive more options. Of particular importance is kanji details.

See stroke order and radicals (more on those in a bit), and readings at a glance. You can also see the word in other languages. You'll see Portuguese a lot because the Japanese made first Western contact with them in 1543.

I also use a Chrome plugin called Rikaikun which brings up definitions for any kanji I highlight. I don't have it turned on but starting out IPA Furigana is helpful for beginners. Furigana displays the pronunciation above the kanji, remember?

Looking Up Kanji

Maybe you're playing on a console or character recognition just isn't working for you. How do you reference kanji you don't know? There are a few ways although you'll have to do some extra legwork.

Kanji may look like arbitrary strokes to the unfamiliar but there's meaning behind the ideographs. The important thing to take away are "radicals", semantic indicators of the meaning behind the word. Think of it as the equivalent of prefixes/suffixes in English. For example, if you see one of the "water" radicals then the word will probably be associated with water in some way. Radicals often combine in logical ways so 氵water + 日 sun gives you 湯 hot water. Make sense?

Radicals are broken down into strokes. If you see a radical you can't recognize (which will happen, they morph in weird ways) you can use Jisho or IME to draw it stroke by stroke. If you're not comfortable drawing you can use Jisho to look up radicals by stroke count.

Tofugu: How to find the kanji radical
Tofugu: How to guess a kanji's stroke order

Putting it all in practice

Download Capture2Text and some Japanese games for your favorite emulator. Capture a menu or some text then paste it to notepad. Play around with jisho, looking up kanji you don't recognize. For an extra challenge, find out the pronunciation of the kanji, type the whole sentence in kana, then press space to translate the kana to proper kanji. Fix any errors if they don't show up correctly.

Let's translate this menu bar. The first word has more than two kanji together so it's probably someone's full name.

unfortunately the OCR can only recognize the last kanji. The first character is close but incorrect.

Using radicals to look up the first character. Flower (3 strokes) + sun (4 strokes) gives me "grass."

Doing the same for the other kanji. This one contains the flower and arrow radicals which immediately narrows down from thousands of possible options to literally 2.

And it is a proper name. Kusanagi Sachi although I think it's supposed to be pronounced Shou for this character. Names are scary but only close friends use their given name. This is great because family names are traditionally easier to figure out.

Moving on to the next option.

OCR recognizes it completely.

And it means "attack." Kind of a formal word too but this game takes place in the early 1900s so the formality makes sense.

And go down the list. It seems tedious but practice is all about repetition. The more you research the more you'll learn.

The final part will be a brief overview of sentence structure. The idea isn't to cleanly translate sentences but rather pick apart their structure for speed, not accuracy.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 25, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really want to sit down and hammer out a couple of the OG Xbox games exclusive to the system. Like Galleon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZR80Rr4JY

Yeah, this is your reward for creating Lara Croft the biggest video game face in the 90s next to Mario.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wizgot posted:

I got a Gameboy Pocket this summer and beat DK 94. I Feel it is pretty much the only game on the system that has thoroughly stood the test of time and holds up 100% today. 101 levels, tons of moves and locations. In Many cases you can beat levels in totally different ways than were intended. It's an amazing game and only testifies to the greatness of Miyamoto.

Link's Awakening and Mole Mania better be on that short list :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

I'm going to ask here because GBS couldn't figure it out -

About 10 years ago there was a flash game (well kind of a game) where you could click and drag a bunch of colored letters across a flat surface to form words. The kicker was that other people in the room could also click and drag the letters. So you had people write random messages in the rooms, or you had 20 people working together to form a giant penis using the letters. Someone could be a dick and steal the letters as you were trying to write something. I was wondering what the name of that game was and if it's still around.

Ask here while you're at it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

This is a retro PC question, but I dug up from the closet my original PC I got back in 2006 after I got my first job. It had Vista :banghead: on it so I used the usb flash drive to put the Window 98 SE OS on it. After a few annoying issues I got it installed, but I can't put any files on Window 98 now. USB stick isn't supported as it a 2.0, cd-drive is dead and it uses PATA so I don't have a spare, and the ethernet cable needs a file from the Window 98 cd to work...which doesn't work since I can't use the cd I have on it. Shame, since everyone says 98 is the best for retro pc games, but I can't do anything with it, so I wonder if I should just put XP back on it instead.

I use an XP virtual machine for the few annoying CD DOS and Win 95 games I can't seem to get working by any other means like The Dark Eye. So I think XP will serve you well for pretty much anything you want, DOS included.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did you yell fuzzy pickles?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to give a thumbs up to Bitmap Books for the Commodore 64 (volume 2) book. I just got my backer copy. A concern people had was that it was just a bunch of screenshots with text and while there are some "guest reviewers" majority are professionals in the field from ex-Commodore magazines to big names like Brian Fargo and Jon Hare. There are artist interviews, company profiles, a highlight of the demo scene, and some unreleased games.

I own a C64 but it's nowhere near an area I'm comfortable with. I can recommend at least the C64 book for people with a curiosity of the platform.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Capcom yielded to the no-2D thing at one point though, it's why Mega Man Legends exists at all.

I'll take Legends over everything post-SNES, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Really? Even X4 and X5? The X series fell off a cliff after X5, but those two were pretty good.

I should stress Legends is legit one of my favorite games. I always come back to it every two or three years and forget just enough to be pleasantly surprised by it all over again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Diggers and their FAH LION MA SHEENS.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I remember asking about this two years ago but Wonder Boy's battle music has a very similar melody to something I've heard on the radio. All I can recall is the faint voice of a woman singing in some language other than English (or otherwise she was impossible to understand in English) to that exact melody. I thought it was Enigma or one of those late 80s/early 90s Pure Moods or New Age compilation discs. Just vocalize the melody in a feminine voice and I swear to god that was the song!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Maybe Enya's "Orinoco Flow"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTrk4X9ACtw

EDIT:

Or it could also be her song "Storms In Africa", the original of which was sung in Irish Gaelic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJPgPLgcjog

Nah, this was definitely a song from the 90s or earlier. I can't remember anything else beyond the woman. I want to say it was an R&B or urban soul song it really had that kind of styling.

Maybe I'll hear it one day walking around in a Sears or something but it's up there with Battle Against A Weak Opponent as "song that totally sounds like an early 90s pop song."

Although Enya's Anywhere Is is totally the map screen music in Yoshi's Island.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

...you don't recognize Tequila?

No dammit there's definitely a 90s pop/hip-hop song that has a woman doing backup vocals like "work/watch my body, something something body" aaaaaaaagh!

That song is definitely based on Tequila but I frequently argue with my friends that video game music and 90s urban pop with its heavy use of short repetitive melodies, fm synth, and sampling sound indistinguishable.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 29, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's possible you are thinking about this because a different song in Earthbound always reminded me of it

https://youtu.be/HvQCxFZHMZ4

It would be incredible if I was right so let me know!

OK wait I just saw this. It's the same exact melody of the chorus to "You're All I Need" by Method Man and Mary J Blige! That has to be it!

https://youtu.be/XW1HNWqdVbk
Check at two minutes in. Lines up with the music you linked perfectly.

Technotronic doesn't really sound familiar but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH You're All I Need is totally it!

I'm just going to pretend in my head canon that Method Man is a fan of Wonder Boy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Haha I'm so glad I figured it out. The only thing that made me iffy was that the singing part isn't difficult to understand but with her drawing out the words I can see that.

It's so funny because I figured it out within like three seconds of hearing your sample and I actually love that game but never heard the FM audio version where it's way more obvious.

Glad I could help you sleep at night!

I never really followed music but everyone else in my family did religiously. Everything I know about music is absorbed through the radio or in the background on TV. I'll just start associating video game music with popular music, it all runs together and sounds the same in my head.

Like Abaddon's Bolero sounds like Kid Icarus and Fools in the Rain is the intro and battle music to Mario RPG and Karn Evil 9 Part 1 is like 5 different Final Fantasy boss themes and Part 2 is Final Fantasy 7's boss music. And I can't remember if I associated something with Mario 64's Bob-omb battlefield theme so if I made up lyrics to it but I definitely sing gibberish when I play that game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who composed Turrican was familiar with Falcom's work.

Also the opening theme of Snatcher straight up mimics the bridge from Owner of a Lonely Heart.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pretty positive whoever is playing Final Fight is familiar with it and not cheating.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did Dr. Franken come out on the Game Boy? I think there was going to be a NES version that got canceled so maybe that was reworked into the GB then the SNES version goes hog wild with big cartoony graphics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You're not doing enough Australia, clearly Mario games need to be banned as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE

They hit their period.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MrSlam posted:

I'm thinking of getting rid of our ancient TV to replace with a slick HDTV. Problem is I'm also thinking of getting into retro-gaming.

Is the Retron 5 worth it or should I just hold onto an old TV to play Chrono-Trigger on?

I hope the answer isn't 'Go read the OP you jerk'

Do you have a laptop made in the last 10 years with an HDMI out? If so then you have the best machine to play pretty much everything pre-2000.

If starting out from absolute scratch then I can't recommend the Retron 5 considering its entire appeal is marketing to people with already established collections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's almost like Nintendo is a Japanese company and the rest of the world is an after thought!

• Locked thread