Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was wondering if I should invest more heavily in Zelda games or Metroid. Which one has the highest upward price outlook over the next twelve months? Also, which video game grading service will give me the highest scores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Help this thread got restarted but the light on the front is just blinking on and off and it's not working.

Have you tried closing the thread, blowing on it, then reopenning it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hate doing a kind of serious post on the first page of this thread, but I might as well mention it.

Die by the Sword: Limb from Limb has got even more problems than the original game. Apparently you had to install it before playing the original game. If you load up your profile after installing the expansion you're only given the option of completely restarting the game from the beginning. You can select what character to play as and what weapon they'll use but you get to make this choice exactly once per profile. So once you've made your choice you're locked in. There's apparently a story to the new levels, but if you go straight to them it skips all the story stuff.

And I can't even beat the first fight against two skeleton warriors no matter what character I select. :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

EDIT: I second the Tetrisphere recommendation. I loving love that game. Every time I show it to someone new it always starts with, "What? What is this. Why would I play this instead of...:aaa:".

Tetrisphere is the good game on the N64. :colbert:

If we're complaining about things missing in the OP, where's the public transit games section? Densha de Go and it's brethren are a vital part of retrogaming.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

To inaugurate the new thread, I have done something crazy.

No, I didn't buy that. But what I did do is order a couple of Chinese reproductions.

I don't think it's really come up around here before, but there's Chinese manufacturers who are taking advantage of the retrogame boom to run off a few hundred copies of a ROM they downloaded. SNES stuff tends to be a bit pricier but if you just look it's not hard to find a place that will run off any Genesis/Mega Drive game for you for less than $5 including shipping from China. (I'm pushing at the edge of the :filez: rule here, but I assume that if you really want to go do this you know how to find the largest Chinese manufacturing marketplace out there on your own).

I ordered a couple of games that were unreleased in the US in US cases, but I'm interested in if they work at all (a big if when it comes to Chinese carts), what the shell is like, and how easy fraud would be using these carts.

FWIW, there are more expensive reproductions of Chrono Trigger on the same site and they do claim to be able to save. It looks like the more expensive SNES reproductions run about $18 - $25. Though I definitely wouldn't get Star Fox 2 from them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll truly never understand this :psyduck:

Sad Kid Whose Parent Bought Them a Master System: "Alex Kidd really is as good as Mario. It is! It really is!"

(The not sad kids with Master Systems were playing better games, obviously.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Because those prices are STILL atrocious.

"If you're going to complain about the prices on our memory so much, why don't you just buy third party? Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha." -- Some Sony Exec in 1995 laying out their strategy for all of their electronics for the next twenty years.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Nah, they were $14.99 MSRP. PS2 memory cards were $24.99 MSRP, though.

In retrospect, the PSX's pricing schemes were pretty odd, since it was the first time that the MSRP on software went down across the board. Most games were $34.99-39.99, with Squaresoft games selling at $44.99-$49.99. It was one of the big reasons that the PSX had such a huge lead over the N64, since N64 games were $59.99+, with the Greatest Hits-style rereleases being sold for the "bargain" price of $39.99, as opposed to the PSX's GH line being $19.99.

It's hard to understate how expensive reproduction costs were for the first twenty years of video games. Those chips in your carts were not cheap. Not to mention the additional packaging and shipping costs. Those N64 carts cost about $15 to $20 to manufacture. Sony, OTOH, could press the disks for about $1 each and use standard CD manufacturing equipment to package them up. I doubt total manufacturing and shipping costs were more than $2 a game for Sony.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World, the very first game, is not a bad game for its time and most of the fond memories people have for the series/character relate to that one game.

Rock-Paper-Scissors bosses. That is completely inexcusable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Novasol posted:

And I thought I was being unique diving down the rabbit hole of MAME roulette every week :negative:

I think you'll find that when it comes to producing videos about games on the Internet, no one is unique.

Sometimes I wish I had enough upstream bandwidth to stream video. It seems like it would be a fun thing to do.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nintendo was feeling left out:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

First 145 issues of Nintendo Power (everything pre-Gamecube) are now on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

because the only pre-NES poo poo worth dragging back out is a Vectrex :colbert:

Wait, there were video games before 1985? That's just silly. Everyone knows that video games started when the NES was released in the US and not a moment before.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Have you SEEN the price differences between Super Famicom and SNES games?

Seriously, it's literally cheaper for me to take a few Japanese courses at my local college than it is to buy Earthbound.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

New thread attracts new trash posters, hooray! :toot:

I'm not new! I've been trash posting in the retro thread for years and I'm hurt that you don't remember me. :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

It really should be in there. Could just list burger time 5 times. Or 4 and Donkey Kong?

The Zaxxon port is the best home version, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the best home version of Burgertime?

Data East (or their rights holders) released an arcade compilation a few years ago for the Wii and PS2. Weirdly enough, used copies still go for $50. There was a Japan only PS2 port as part of an arcade line as well.

For more feasible options, I have to go ColecoVision, but people argue about whether the NES version, ColecoVision, or Intellivision is the best. The NES version was a very early game, released in the second wave of third-party games in 1985 so it doesn't have a lot of advantage over the Coleco version.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

This is weird because I remember buying this for wii at a gamestop used for like 5 bucks. I think I used it once and remember it being a very barebones & not particularly good emulator package? am I remembering wrong or are collectors that weird

The emulator's fine for the lighter games like Burger Time. But Data East was never the best game developer so the rest of the package is pretty lackluster with a lot of weak games. And the emulator isn't as nice for games like Two Crude Dudes and Wizard Fire, though I think it's at least partially because those games looked and sounded awful to begin with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

only Super Famicom one worth owning then!

I also got this Japanese "Merlin" sort of handheld thing called the Game Robot 5.

I think I've seen one of those in the US, but I have no idea what it would have been called over here. Probably something stupid and distributed in Radio Shacks. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Stacking a console atop a TV or another console is barbaric. Let the poor thing have its space!

What if the console is an Xbox, the only console that doubles as a major support structure?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

So it appears st-v requires 7a on the 5v line :stare:

Idk if I want to invest in that kind of required power supply

Congratulations on finding a new and exciting way to electrocute yourself, but you're a few days late on that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

The 3DS is the only portable to have region locking, actually.

The Nomad had region locking, though not every title did it. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, I never understood how terrible Donkey Kong 64 was until I sat down last night and tried playing it for more than two hours. It's like I could tell it was a bad game before and thus stopped playing it before getting too far, but you can't fully appreciate the awfulness until you're a few levels in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've always wished someone from Rare would dish on where that one went off the rails.

"I'm concerned that we just don't have enough things to collect."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I blame the 64DD. It was supposed to be flipped out in a year and then that dumb thing crashed and burned. Majora's Mask was a similar casualty where you have this incredibly repetitive game built on re-used assets that demands you to play its same four levels over and over again. I really want to like Majora, and maybe when I play the 3DS version in 10 years it'll be the light switch flipping off, but god drat does that game feel cheap.

I finally played through Majora's last year and wound up thinking, "Nice idea with absolutely terrible implementation." The game actively punishes you for trying to figure things out, exploring, and experimenting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There are definitely some Genesis games that are just crazily expensive compared to the rest of the library (Phantasy Star IV, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Splatterhouse 2 and 3, Gunstar Heroes, and Shining Force II spring to mind),

Panorama Cotton laughs at your cheap games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

is wetrix on the n64 worth picking up?

The fact that no one is saying anything about it should tell you something. :v:

It's kind of annoying to play and there's a lot better puzzle games out there. Get Tetrisphere or that Japanese version of Tetris with the heartbeat sensor instead.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, do they realize they're basically the only people on Earth who care? A new Plok game, sure, but who was that invested in the mythos of an obscure SNES platformer?

Have you been introduced to the rich Chakan mythos?

Some of those 80's/90's creators with one cult hit under their belt got weird.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, I have this odd fascination with golf video games, mainly on PC. When I was growing up, my cousin and uncle were huge into golf, with my cousin actually getting a scholarship to study and play down in Georgia.

Anyway, whenever I'd visit, most of the games they'd have on their blazingly fast 486 were golf games. I always loved the slight graphical advancements from one game to the next, especially the pro shop. I think what really drove home my love of golf games, aside from playing against my cousin all the time, was that I could rarely get theirs to run on my then-386, though not for lack of trying. I just wanted pretty graphics, because at the time, they just looked so real.

So, I think I'm going to start on a quest to gradually collect and play (and maybe rate) practically every single golf game that came out for PC between, say 1987-1996. Maybe not the hard copies, as I have a son and responsibilities, so I can't just be spending money on stuff like this, but who knows.

Any recommendations on good titles from this era? I remember one silly game, I think it was in CGA, and there were dinosaurs on the course. I haven't bothered to look it up yet, but I'm sure it's not hard to find. If it's outside my date range, I'll change the range to include it because it was drat fun :colbert:

Links was the big golf franchise at the time with several versions coming out for PC's in that period. Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman had their own franchises as well at the time. SimGolf has a lot of fans for the course designer, but I think the golfing itself was lackluster. I've got a copy of British Open Championship Golf that I've owned forever and never played; the reason it's worth mentioning is that it's by Looking Glass, the people who made System Shock and Thief.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Also, I'm surprised by the Looking Glass connection there, wow.

Looking Glass was an essentially an outgrowth of MIT and the developers were focused on designing interesting simulations. That's why System Shock is so complicated, Thief has the incredibly detailed sound propagation model, and Flight Unlimited used a unique for the time fluid dynamic flight model. My guess is they were looking for something else they could model with the Flight Unlimited engine and struck on golf.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

My 10 year old daughter just finished Day of the Tentacle. She was skeptical at first when I pretty much made her try it. I stayed with her during the beginning and helped her when she got stuck. Then she started playing it while I was at work too. Her biggest obstacles ended up being puzzles that required you to talk to people over and over. I had to remind her several times about that. She got stuck on Fred and the contract and then purple Tentacle at the end.

My new proudest moment at as a father. Not that she finished it(because I helped her), but because she enjoyed it.

Did she beat Maniac Mansion as well thinking it was part of the full game?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

'Twas A.I. Shogi killed the beast.

It needed an extra processor on the CD.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Germstore posted:

You'd think that any fan game would have original sprites prepared to fall back on. You can't copyright level layouts (I think).

Sure you can. Release a game that uses Super Mario Bros 1-1 and see how long it takes for a lawyer to show up at your door.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DrankSinatra posted:

My local arcade just got a pristine Asteroids cabinet. I never realized how beautiful a working vector monitor is. The shots are so bright - it looks incredibly clool.

Vector monitors are sweet but they're so sadly fragile.

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh it's a rail shooter. I was wondering how Luigi's Mansion would translate to an arcade experience.

Rail shooter seems to be the default option these days for bringing a console series to an arcade game. There was a Castlevania rail shooter a few years ago as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Remember when Nintendo didn't want Smash at EVO?

Those were good times. In that case, I totally agreed with them.

That was a good idea on their part.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's probably because they're a beloved game company that still makes excellent games and most people either don't know or care about their internet copyright policies.

And the sane ones who do know about it shrug and go, "Well, it's not a good idea to behave quite so draconianly, but they're well within their rights and not really doing anything wrong."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

It's much more likely that Nintendo is still enforcing their copyrights because they are pretty strict about them and afraid about people stealing them away.

I don't think it's even about stealing them. It's that even more than most companies, they're defined by the extended aspects of their IP. People aren't buying a billion dollars in Call of Duty merchandise, to use a convenient example. So that makes Nintendo a bit more defensive about their IP than most.

It's a lot like Disney in that regard.

To change the subject; I'm closing in on finishing Devil May Cry after years of bouncing off of it in the first stage or two. Maybe I'll actually finish Viewtiful Joe next...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Speaking of games I may or may not be hoarding to hypothetically some day run a small mystery game tournament, did this already get posted in here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_wwSlqAGw

That looks like fun.

The Kins posted:

The sun rises. The rain falls. Captain Rufus screams a whole bunch of words in reaction to someone insinuating that Nintendo may not have been founded and operated purely by candy-stealing Hitler clones.

That's not actually that far off from Yamauchi.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gently caress Her Brains Out 35 was the peak of the series.

I've had zero luck getting any of the games to work. There's the long load time in the emulator, but at the end of it things either crash or run distortingly slow.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got Wizball to work, though if I accidentally scrolled the page the sound distorted. I tried a couple of Turrican sound disks but they didn't seem to do anything/the sound button just helpfully informed me it'd be available when the emulator was started.

Yeah, I tried clicking the sound button which indicated the sound was muted when Laser Squad started moaning through my speakers only to get that same message.

The browser PC emulation at the Internet Archive isn't great but it is functioning. This needs work.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 9, 2016

• Locked thread