Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

the other half of the 16-bit era

*chokes on soda*

Surely you mean the first and most prominent half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Crossed wires? Yes, the TG16 was a thing, but let's face it, it was never a contender compared to the neck-and-neck rivalry of the Genesis and SNES. People can be forgiven for not getting on the TG16 wagon, but there's no excuse to not get on the Genesis one.

I didn't mention the TG16. I was joking around because your wording made it sound like the Genesis was the lesser half of the 16-bit era and I've always been a huge Sega fanboy.

azurite fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 5, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Not that it matters much, but does anyone know what emulator they use? I understand it's encapsulated in some 3D "hub," but I'm guessing it's based on GenesisPlus GX or Fusion.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Cliche Guevara posted:

So, I'm taking the plunge into Dreamcast territory. Speaking from someone who played with one for literally ten minutes at launch, is getting the DC-SD a way to go since I'm on a budget?

http://dc-sd.com/

Not interested in burning a shitload of games, wearing the laser out and all that nor can I afford a Framemeister. I figured someone on here got this and/or the PSX card reader and may have some experience?
Also, the site has VGA cables and an S-Video AV cable for sale. What's the smarter choice? My TV specs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60ES6100FXZA-specs

Any thoughts?

Get the VGA box, that way all your bases are covered.

The USB GDROM is by far the best way to go. Unfortunately, the creator is apparently tough to work with, so SAG no longer carries them. DC SD is far too slow, since it goes at like USB 1.1 speeds.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, i was lucky enough to grab a USB GDROM from SAG while they had it. No way I'm dealing with that guy directly. He's no krikzz.

Speaking of the Saturn MPEG slot thing... If anyone wants to follow the development of Dr. Abrasive's (aka jhl) Saturn solution, check this thread. Really exciting stuff!

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/saturn-optical-drive-emulator.62274/

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

That poor CDX! :ohdear:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mercury Crusader posted:

It doesn't happen while spinning up a disk, or when the tray opens/closes, or when it's reading data. It only makes that grinding noise when it is powered on for the first time in a long while, kind of like it's warming up. Then it no longer makes that noise. Might go ahead and oil up some spots anyway and see if that does anything.

If it makes a grinding noise (or maybe a quick "quack" noise?) on startup, it's most likely the limit switch for the laser transport not triggering properly. On startup, the model 1 will move the laser towards the spindle until it hits the limit switch. At that point, it'll attempt to focus and read the disc. If the switch doesn't trip in time, or if it's flaky, it'll try to keep moving the laser against the spindle and grind the gears. A good temporary fix that worked for me was spraying the inside of the switch with Deoxit. It might take up to a day to fully dissolve the 20 years of oxidation on there.

I think yours resolved on its own due to all the movement scraping away the oxidation. Unfortunately, I didn't have as much luck. A better fix would be replacing the switches. I haven't tried yet because I don't really know what to look for.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You technically could hook it up but I would imagine there would be a lot of problems. For example, when the 360 came out, I was still using an SD CRT TV (a lot of people were even though it might not seem like it). The text in Dead Rising was completely unreadable on an SDTV. I remember people complaining online, asking for a patch and Capcom basically told everybody "the 360 is meant for high definition televisions so we won't be fixing it" ignoring the fact that it didn't even have HDMI and the base unit shipped with composite cables.

That's the main reason I didn't buy it back then. I couldn't read anything in the demo.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Allen Wren posted:

What's good TG16 emulation-wise since I currently don't have the cash to get into another system?

please do not turn this into some sort of dick-waving emulation is bad postfest

because I know some of you are already thinking it, I can smell it from here

Mednafen. You can either get Mednafen itself, Retroarch, or Bizhawk. They all include it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Another point on Mednafen: Last month they released their own Saturn emulator out of nowhere, and it's rapidly improving.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Code Jockey posted:

whaaaaaaaat :stare:

That's awesome.

... awww, no android. Was hoping to fire it up on my Shield TV.

It might happen soon. A lot of Mednafen cores are in Retroarch. Don't they have Yabause on Android already?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Cross-posting from the NES thread in GBS:

Wicker Man posted:

To play my dad's gold cartridge Legend of Zelda game, I had to stick a second NES game backwards ontop of the first cartridge that's in the front loader slot, pressing down on it. Somehow that made the system actually work since blowing on it and sticking it in weren't enough.

The NES was a fickle-rear end machine.

Edit: I found licking the inside circuit board and getting it slightly moist was 10x more effective than simply blowing on it :downs:

:gonk:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

A UPS would work great for that, but that wouldn't be very cheap unless you found a secondhand one.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Quiet Feet posted:

Hi retro gaming thread, long time no post.

I've got a bunch of Genesis model 1s I'd like to unload on Ebay soon. Trouble is, I don't have AC adapters. Can anyone tell me if Megadrive adapters are compatible with American Genny units? Specifically I'm looking at these right here.

Quality-wise I have no idea if they're any better than those trash "3-in-1" units, but I've had nothing but bad luck with those and the Genesis and thought I should some other cheap junk a shot.

It doesn't say anything about input voltage. As long as it'll accept 120V AC and still output 9-10V DC at 1.2A, they should work fine.

See:
http://segaretro.org/AC_adaptor

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

TeaJay posted:

If anyone actually does the patching, could you do a "for-dummies" type of guide? I'm reading the official guide, but I can't get the patch running. I get an error like this:

"file open failed: read: POLICENAUTS_1-1.iso: The system cannot find the file specified."

Even though I have named the file exactly like that.

I'll let you know when my copy is done downloading. It's probably a path issue.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

TeaJay posted:

Got it working.

I'm not the most technically inclined so it should doable for anyone.

Have to play this more with more time, the setting and the dialogue seem quite interesting.

What'd you do? I'm having the same issue now.

EDIT: Oh, I'm a very silly person. I had file type hiding turned on. So I had files called POLICENAUTS_1-1.ISO.ISO *facepalm*

azurite fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 7, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Milkman posted:

Does anyone know any known good PS2 component cables? I looked over Amazon and eBay it's all either $5 garbage or $50 OEM sets. I gave up and just got said garbage, and the picture seems ok but there is some gnarly buzz/feedback on the audio.

I'm going to hit up some used shops tomorrow but I'm guessing the cables they'll have will be the same cheap crap but with a big markup. I was trying to avoid the all in one sets but maybe that's the way to go? There's also some weird direct PS2->HDMI adapters things I'm leery of but it looks like they don't scale the image or anything so maybe they're ok

I have this one and it seems to work fine. I can't speak for the durability though, as I've only hooked it up like twice. Looks to have a ferrite core on there as well, which might curb the noise.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OM528/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kid Fenris posted:

Everyone knows the best Final Fantasy is The Spirits Within because Roger Ebert liked it better than most video games.

Question: what's the silliest piece of video-game merchandise you've bought? Don't count stuff you got as free promotional trinkets; this would be something you specifically sought out and purchased.

I ask because I bought this and want to feel better about it.

Talking Cave Johnson portrait.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Something arrived from Japan today...

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

What's the modern consensus on CD-R brands for consoles? I heard Taiyo Yuden was always the best, but apparently they stopped manufacturing CD-Rs last year. A lot of people used to recommend Verbatim, since they used Taiyo Yuden discs. However, now they're CMC Magnetics. TDK also switched to CMC. I noticed a couple of my systems have trouble with my TDK disks, but will work with my newer Verbatims just fine, even though they're both CMC-made. I'm guessing the inconsistency might be due to the disks being consumer/value disks.

To make matters more confusing, CMC apparently acquired Taiyo Yuden's manufacturing process. So, if you get "CMC Pro," you're allegedly getting the same quality as the Taiyo Yudens of old. They brand these as "professional," so I just ordered a pack hoping that I wind up with discs of reasonable quality.

The MediaPro brand seems to be trying to clone Taiyo Yuden discs as well: http://www.mediasupply.com/media-pro-premium-a-grade-blank-cds-and-dvds.html

azurite fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 20, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

fishmech posted:

For most uses, any of the discs out there will be fine. We're well past the point where the manufacturer could mean the difference between the disc becoming unusable in weeks and the disc lasting 10 years. Remember that CD-Rs should be treated as never going to last forever at any point.

The AmazonBasics discs work great and are quite cheap. As far as actual reliability over an extended time period, I still have plenty of TDK discs from the early 2000sthat are readable today.

I'm not really looking for archival quality, since I can always burn a new disc after my 10-year-old copy turns into a coaster. What I'm concerned about is consistency between consoles with new discs fresh off the burner. It seems like brand does make a difference in terms of compatibility with aging lasers.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Elliotw2 posted:

I used some cheap memorex CD-R's to burn a handful of Sega CD and Saturn games, and the only thing that seemed to fail was a 32X FMV game.

I have nearly 10-year-old Memorex CDs that work flawlessly in one Saturn but won't even recognize as CDs in another.

On the other hand, my Sega CDs will take anything I throw at them. They are total beasts.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's very well-done. I haven't encountered any problems yet, and I'm on disc 2.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I received my CMC Pro (TY) CD-Rs today and put them head-to-head with one of my consumer TDK discs. Shinobi X is burned on both, and the TDK is fairly recent (probably about a year old). I realize this isn't a scientific test, but this is good enough to get me to switch brands. The Saturn would recognize the TDK 50% of the time and occasionally make very audible, repetitive seeking noises trying to load. The CMC Pro was recognized every time and it sounded as if you were using a pressed disc. Even to the naked eye, you can see the stark difference in written and unwritten areas. It might be worth mentioning that the TDKs are identical in color to my consumer Verbatims, so my Verbatims probably will have the same extremely lovely lifespan.

CMC Pro (left), TDK (right)

The price of the CMC Pro discs actually isn't bad either, $36 for a pack of 100.

azurite fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 22, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Saoshyant posted:

Weird they would make a custom board just to run an emulator, but guess that's rather Nintendo of them.

It looks pretty barebones, and was probably pretty easy for them to throw together. I see what looks like the SOC (CPU, A/V, I/O, etc.), RAM, flash ROM, and a PMIC (for dealing with DC power).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I don't get with the NES Mini; If they're going to save a few bucks and not include a power supply (it uses USB) to minimize e-Waste or whatever, why the gently caress did Nintendo not just do the sane thing and use their goddamn 3DS power supplies instead? The ones readily available for about $15 Australian and used with most of the Nintendo handhelds for the past decade?

3DS power bricks supply around 4.6V, which probably isn't going to be quite enough for whatever components they're using. Not to mention the varying quality and output of third party power bricks might cause issues.

With most USB chargers, you can guarantee at least 5V 500mA. Most provide up to 2A now. Also, as mentioned, everyone and their mom has one.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I just played Earth Defense Force 2017 for the first time and found it pretty cathartic.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

He had to switch to Patreon because YouTube was no longer paying enough with their new ad model.

It looks like he puts out a lot of small stupid non-game reviews and unboxings, but his actual game reviews are still pretty good IMO.

I actually started throwing him $5 a month during his big push for funding because I don't want to see him go.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Altered Beast for Master System is pretty bad.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I believe one of the main reasons the mixing cable was used was so you could get CD audio out of the Sega CD without going through the Genesis amp. That, and you can control the volume of the Genesis side.

Otherwise, yeah, it's not strictly necessary.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I can't believe this SNES pronunciation talk has gone for so long.

Anywho, I got my OSSC in the mail yesterday. My Panasonic (TC-L47E50) TV works with it in line doubling mode. It doesn't like the line tripling mode, unfortunately. The lovely oCOSMO TV we have doesn't recognize it at all, so YMMV. I'll have to see later if my computer monitor will accept either mode. Another thing to look out for is the fact that the OSSC outputs analog audio separate from the DVI out. Fortunately, my Panasonic TV allows me to combine the two. In terms of graphical quality, it looks great in line doubling mode (with and without scanlines) and edges out this thing in sharpness by a little, and color accuracy by quite a bit. The latency isn't bad either, though that's largely dependent on your TV's handling of 480p.

Phone camera shot of the screen, the screen door effect isn't present IRL:
http://imgur.com/a/hWQmu

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Gotta go fast!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

AFAIK, and feel free to correct me, the AC Hz rating shouldn't matter if you're rectifying to DC anyway, right? It's just the voltage you need to worry about.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mark the Classic Game Room guy does a podcast, but it's for Patreon peeps. It's also been slanted more to the Sega side of things. I obviously don't have a problem with that.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Oh man, that's awesome.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How? I changed the VMU batteries when I got it. As in they are literally less than a month old. It beeped when it booted up then, but that's because it had the original batteries. Now it beeps when shutting down. I can still play around with the VMU outside of the Dreamcast.

Yeah... It's not really supposed to beep when the DC turns off. Even if the DC's internal battery is dead. My guess is the VMU is near-dead and probably dies a second after the DC cuts power to it. If that's not it, then.... I don't know, your Dreamcast must be special.

EDIT: Ahh... I didn't see that the batteries still work. Maybe my VMUs have been dead so long that I forgot the real behavior.

azurite fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 9, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

PsyClops posted:

So I've got a really weird problem

Like Random Stranger said, solder joints, or those sockets you mentioned could have a marginal contact somewhere.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

You might need new caps on that guy. The picture is supposed to be uniformly bad.

Edit: Of course, I was looking past the obvious watermark.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The rechargeable battery pack got me pretty far back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Elliotw2 posted:

The Genesis Z80 was actually super hard to play PCM samples through, and when a game did it badly it gave the sample a lovely scratchy noise. SF2 on the Genesis is a great example, since someone made a rom hack that was just optimizing the z80 code and the voices suddenly sound perfectly fine.

A more analytical look at a few games' PCM tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W4yTL-9gZE

The Earthworm Jim 2 continue screen caught me by surprise when I was playing not too long ago.

https://youtu.be/yXef3HFxuco

• Locked thread