Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I haven't posted in this thread in a long time but I just wanted to share with you all a photo of my new son, I love him very much.

Coincidentally today also marks the day that I've officially let this hobby get out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

These two things are unrelated, right? Because a framemeister is hardly getting out of hand.

Now, if at the same time you decided, "Hey, I need to collect the complete Neo Geo AES library, all CIB," then yes, it's getting out of hand.

Everyone has their own point of no return v:v:v

Neo Geo is defs the next step though. Is the Omega still the simplest consolized MVS option?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

gently caress, here I thought the Saturn version was identical to what I'd already played. Guess I've got to put another expensive game on my loving bucket list.

I know how you feel because I felt the same way when I learned this, but before you pull that trigger just watch a video of the extra content and really weigh if it's worth it. It definitely wasn't for me.

Bedsheet ghosts are cute and good though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

vermin posted:

Should I hold onto my giant box of a TV so I can play games on my SNES or should I donate it to the trash can?

That's between you, and the space you have in your home.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Ninja Gaiden is still pretty dang hard.

vvvv battletoads is also a good one. I've still never made it past the bike level. I'm pretty bad at games though.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 1, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm guessing that's just a tower of failed consoles based on the PC-FX right under that Mark III.

Also kind of funny to see the Mark III referred to as rare and unheard of :v:

Someone post that Storage Wars guy freaking out over the R@RE Nintendo One please

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

"This is the first Nintendo DS built, the last one was sold with 5 games for $13,000" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps

(there was such an auction, including Stadium Events. That's why it was 13k, not the NES)

That's that good stuff. Those pure videos.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

My geef just got me Belmont's Revenge but I haven't played it for more than a few minutes since the Switch just came out. Switch is a good console by the way and the new Zelda is a fun and good game.

Owning Belmont's revenge also means the only canon Castlevania game I'm missing is Bloodlines. Castlevania is objectively the greatest series ever made and I really hope they put a Belmont in Smash. I'd also take Alucard.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I ordered a 'CSYNC EuroSCART to Framemeister XRGB-mini adapter' from retrogamingcables. Will it only work with systems outputting CSYNC, or can it also handle sync on luma and sync on composite?

Edit: the answer is yes, and I'm dumb

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 7, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Ah Steel Battalion :allears: My brother in law has that game and I had fun playing what little I did. Unfortunately I'm six and a half feet tall and need a goddamn bar stool to play it comfortably.

What's up fellow tall person. I can't comfortably play Initial D at the arcade

Edit: I didn't ask for the new page.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I loved playing the drums on Rock Band. My leg muscles not so much.

Same. The day the adjustable stool for <local arcade>'s Drum Mania broke was a sad day.

They still haven't replaced it, and the way I have to sit to play it like that means I pretty much can't use my left foot at all.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I'm confused. Are you guys talking about an emulator or is the PSP natively backwards compatible with PS1 games?

It's natively playing ROMs, so yes.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I had no idea this was a feature of the PSP. I never did own one but I feel like this is something I would have read about at some point. Did they just expect people to rip their own ISOs and put them on a memory stick or what?

Not exactly. You have to softmod your PSP to do this. It's playing natively, but it's not an intended feature or anything like that. If I remember correctly you could buy a lot of PS1 games on the PSN market specifically for PSP, but it would be a literal PS1 ISO, with maybe some adjusted controls. Circumventing DRM means you can use its actual hardware to play PS1 games.

At least early on. Later models just emulate I think.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

Uh, Sony expected you to pay them money for the games. It's just that people figured out how to put their own ISOs on instead of buying the small number of PS1 games Sony officially had on the store.

And Sony couldn't really patch the systems to close this loophole without loving up how their older PS1 game sales were delivered, which was too much work and money for them to deal with.

It's like how it was really easy to pirate games on the Dreamcast not by Sega's intention, but because they wanted to support a weird interactive CD standard that never really got used.

The PSP's CPU is very similar to an advanced version of the PS1 CPU, both being based on the MIPS basic core design - the PS1 being the R3000 basic core and the PSP being the R4000 basic core. The instruction set available on the R4000 core the PSP uses contains all instructions implemented on the PS1 CPU, making software compatibility very easy to achieve. The PSP then makes use of the fact that the CPU in it operates about 6.5x-10x faster clock rate depending on the mode it's been set in, and uses this extra power to handle emulation of things like the original PS1's sound and video and I/O chips while it executes the CPU code natively.

It is similar to how Nintendo chose to achieve backwards compatibility on the Wii and Wii U with the GameCube, via using the same PowerPC basic core design throughout all of them, although Nintendo had less need to emulate the previous video chips since the GPUs they chose to use for the Wii and Wii U were designed to support everything in the GameCube GPU. So the Wii can use native code execution on the CPU and mostly native code execution in the GPU for GameCube titles, where a PSP must do emulation for most of the GPU functionality of the PS1.

Wait, the Wii U can play GameCube games?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

Yes, because it can play Wii games, and supporting Wii games fully means the system is also backwards compatible with GameCube games. You can't however plug in official GC controllers or memory cards without USB adapters and you can't use original GameCube discs in the drive, but with some software mods similar to getting homebrew on the original Wii, you can play the games from ISOs.

Djarum posted:

Yup, you have to hack your Wii U and use the USB to GC adaptor but it works pretty flawlessly from what I am told.

Oh, that makes sense, for a second I thought you meant I could just toss in a disc and go to town. I have a gamecube so I'm not going to mod it, but it's cool to know that I can.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

Also just about any Android device and an 8bitdo controller will do PS1 like a boss. Like Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden with frame limiter off was hitting 150 fps on a 30 dollar cheap as gently caress Smart Talk phone from Walmart. With epse emulator.

I hadn't hosed with any 3d games on it but I am sure it could handle it. I upgraded to a bigger device that's a little faster mostly for a bigger screen. I'm sure it would be just ducky with 3d. But my 8bitdo controller is a FC30 and thus doesn't have 2nd shoulders or analog sticks so no real need to check it out as of yet. I'm playing FF5 SNES at the moment because switching devices kinda borked my SRW save 15 missions back and my SMS Ultima 4 notes got misplaced and I kinda want to play it legit and am too lazy to rerun through a handful of towns to get the mantras right now. Plus I'm sure my note page is somewhere... Been meaning to play ff5 through for years though the PS1 port loves to lock up on most hardware. I think it only ran right on my launch window PS2 with certain settings. It didn't on a year 1 PS1 or 3 that's for sure. :doom:

The ps1 re-releases of the FF games are pretty lovely, so it's no surprise to me that it locks up on you. I've been playing through the ps1 Chrono Trigger in FF Chronicles, and the load times just to enter a battle are like 5-10 seconds. That may not seem like much but compared to the snes or DS versions, it's ridiculous. It does have :krad: anime cutscenes which I guess is a plus, but I'm pretty sure those are in the DS version as well.

FF Origins on ps1 at least updated the lovely gameplay decisions in NES FF. Namely characters not retargeting after a targeted enemy dies. Still has some load issues, but the music makes it worth it :banjo:

Final thought, as bad as the ps1 ports of the 8 and 16 bit Final Fantasies are, I still wish they would have ported FF3, because it would look better on my shelf if I had final fantasy 1-9 for ps1, instead of having a random ds box thrown in right at the beginning.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I'm one of the people who got everything AP promised, pretty much on schedule. I even bought stuff from her after the ban, and it all arrived, and she helped me design the art for my fight stick. I feel like the situation was probably more complicated than it seems on the surface, but obviously it's unforgivable to take a bunch of money and keep it, but the way it happened makes me think incompetence over malice. I dunno like I said, the situation was confusing and sucked.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I dunno when I asked they said 'she' so who knows what real life is anymore.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

What's going on here?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I finally got around to putting the parts together for my PS2 to read off SD. I bought most of the parts ages ago, but the IDE-Laptop IDE adapter didn't fit right, so I just said fuckit for like a year.

I added on a ribbon cable SD card extender to make it easier to change the games I have stored.

I'm just going to keep it taped to the back until I'm sure it's not just going to fail on me. If it makes it long enough, I'll run it through the empty space where a hard drive should be and mount it out the front of the system.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

TheRedEye posted:

I get "Karma Police" stuck in my head every time I see that name so please stop, I don't like this song anymore.

Aaaacid poooolice. Return those drives you're in too deep. Stop giving us those lies~

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have a lot of fond memories of listening to Cradle of Filth while playing the Resident Evil series at my friends house over the summers. I was way into them in high school.

I also remember listening to the Starcraft soundtrack while playing Diablo II. I'm not really sure why, the Diablo soundtrack is amazing.

And who could forget, the carousel music in Roller Coaster Tycoon. When I was a kid I couldn't figure out how to turn off that music, so I would just listen to it. I'm sure that had to have some lasting mental impact.

Chill out Rufus.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

al-azad posted:

Xenogears and Tool must've made for a lot of annoying 12 year old atheist weeaboos ordering $50 3 episode VHS subs of Evangelion from Yahoo Auctions.

The fingerless gloves also help to keep the controller from getting all sweaty

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

My buddy had some family in HK and they sent him bootleg sub DVDs of Gundam Seed when it was first airing. We loved it at first, but a few episodes in the subs ceased existing and we couldn't understand what was happening anymore. Years later I now know that 0 dialogue Seed is actually the best way to enjoy it.

Further back I remember watching subbed Sailor Moon laserdiscs in my friend's attic. Those were the days.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I remember downloading pokemon gold off a geocities website before the US release and getting stuck at the sudowoodo part, because we couldn't read Japanese and couldn't figure out the flagging for it. And then we had to delete it like the site declared.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

For anime games, I remember LOVING Dragonball GT Final Bout when I was much younger. I thought it was awesome that there were so many characters.

Then I bought it a year ago or so, and holy poo poo it's bad. Picking Super Vegeta actually crashes the game. There's no way to save unlocked characters, and the fighting system just sucks to play. Also there's only like 10 characters so I don't know why I was so excited.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

I remember I was on a trip to Seattle, saw it in a store, and got really excited. I had never seen a Dragon Ball game in real life before. This was before the reprint so it was hard to find. According to wikipedia, there were only 10,000 copies printed in the initial run. It being sold for $150.

That's insane. Glad the price is down now so people don't mistake it with a good game :v:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

In your heart you know the answer to that.

You shut your drat mouth! :argh:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Additional reason to avoid the 1000 is that it's the only model that can't output component video. If you're into that sort of thing.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Is Ninja Turtles an anime? If it is can I cast my vote for Turtles in Time?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Holy poo poo I didn't know that was a thing! I guess I know what I'm doing today.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Since N64 games are such a cluster gently caress it's impressive that krikzz got the everdrive64 to have the crazy high compatibility it has.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

That and Ys is an actual celtic thing, not a nonsense word some Japanese person came up with.

Anyway, now that I've almost caught up with all of my work, I'm planning on modding my Famicom this weekend. Holding my breath and hoping I don't ruin it as I pull off thirty year old components...

Godspeed. I was planning the same but honestly I think I'm gonna gonna pay MB for it.

Also, pronouncing Ys as Eesu instead of Ees is on par with the people who pronounce Space Dandy as Spasu Dandy. Unless Japanese is your first language obviously.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Im super tempted to finally cave and get an rgb modded Famicom, but I'm not sure if I'll still love myself in the morning.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Find your local retro games shop and frequent it enough that the owner recognizes you. That's my play anyway.

This is also a good way to get them to seek out more obscure consoles for you.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Speaking of, I'm at my local shop as I post this and they have a Jaguar for 150 should I do it? The only games they have are Raiden and tempest

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I ended up getting it :retrogames: Atari has a soft place in my heart.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

In Training posted:

There's no dating sim elements in the Project diva games

Where there's a will there's a way

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

So far I like that I can't increase the music slider on Raiden, so I can only make sick beats myself with the ship's gun.

Also pretty rad that there's just a few exposed pcb plugs for the A/V cables in the back. That's gonna be a fun dust time :v:

(I know this thing is butt, but it was a console I didn't have and that sort of thing doesn't just happen every day anymore.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

univbee posted:

There is also a single-step solution for $55USD but it's sold out right now.

https://shop.hdretrovision.com/products/snes-component-cable?variant=20782851459

YPbPr isn't RGB though is it? Wouldn't they need a SCART to BNC adapter instead?

• Locked thread