Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I just bought one of these. It's not exactly top of the line, but it works great for emulation. I've only tried it on PC, but it works on PS4 if you've got one of those too. You're not gonna find anything this good for cheaper than $40.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fightin...ng+Stick+Mini+4
I have the precursor, and while I haven't used for a lot of retrogaming stuff, it's very solid for its price, and the PS4 one was highly recommended to me when I was looking for a budget fight stick. I also happen to know Drone lives in the same country as I do and it's a bit harder to get by good controller hardware here, so yeah I'd probably give that one a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sonic & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kid Fenris posted:

VIZ put out a new edition of Shotaro Ishinomori's Zelda comic
Today I learned that there's more than one thing called VIZ in comics, and that this is not the one that makes Drunken Bakers and Eight Ace.

Today is a major disappointment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For a second I thought you just went mono to stereo, then back stereo to mono again. I'm sure that setup exists somewhere in the world and has solved a problem.

I ordered parts for a RetroPie yesterday. Should be a fun project. I hope I can get my preferred controller solution to work, which is a Wii Classic controller connected via a lovely, like really lovely USB adapter that Windows won't recognize if it's plugged in on startup. You have to start Windows, the plug in the adapter, and only then plug in the controller. Probably that's the less fun part.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp, setting up a Retropie was just about the easiest thing I've ever done with emulators. Even homebrewing my Wii was more complicated. Someone said earlier they were apprehensive about it and as someone whose Linux skills are limited to knowing that penguins live at the south pole, and not to mess around with rm -r, go for it, you almost can't do anything wrong. Even my kludges controller solution works out of the box.

Granted, I did mess up the overscan settings to the point where I now have to dig around in some config file or other, but I guess I'll learn something in the process.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

When I first got my Pi, I was a dumbass and corrupted my microSD card like three times by improperly powering down the Pi. Lesson learned.
I was considering getting a Powerblock, but then bought a USB cable with a switch to start with, and that's actually working very well. Turn on via hardware switch, turn off from the menu and then cut the power. Easy, cheap, doesn't require additional holes in the case.

Wizgot posted:

Has anyone realized how amazing old video game magazines are? I've been looking through publications like EGM, Super Play and Video Games and Computer Entertainment. I didn't grow up with this stuff but its just so interesting to look through all the articles and think, "this was the only stuff these guys had to get information". The advertisements are sick too.
I found a bunch of good quality scans of magazines I had as a kid the other day and have been rereading them. My takeaway was: boy did they have low standards for layout in those days, one review was red text printed completely across full page screenshots, completely unreadable. And also: these guys had no idea how to review console stuff, applying the same standards to Pilotwings as to PC and Amiga flying sims. And thirdly: Jesus Christ there were a ton of flying sims in the early-mid 90s.

My parents kept them all these years, actually. I gave them to a friend of mine who's big into retrogames and video game archiving. Last I heard he wanted to scan them. Should maybe tell him not to waste his time, actually.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I loved Gamefan but after they gave Earthbound a terrible review I cancelled my subscription like a whiny 13 year old (which I was).
It's really odd to see how games that are considered classics today were received back then. Or the other way around, too - a lot of forgettable games got extremely charitable scores.

Not just in magazines, either, I recently read an old review for Planescape: Torment on Eurogamer that made it out as pretty mediocre, because the fact that you constantly respawned took all the tension out and with conversation giving out ten times as much XP as combat, the XP system was obviously out of balance. :downs:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not deep into arcade sticks and therefore not sure I'm getting this right, but it looks like there are sticks on the market that do this out of the box.

Ultimarc E-Stik, the first one I found through some cursory googling.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

d0s posted:

It looks better but idk how good the magnet centering thing would feel. I would definitely only use either on the corners that give you problems
The higher your player number, the shittier your controller unless you bring your own. A good retrogaming tradition.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We are not savages! We are here to educate, not intimidate. Now, help me book a movie theater and purchase medical-grade restraints so we can force them to watch World 1-1 repeatedly until it's properly memorized. And don't forget the eye drops like last time.
It was the next day, brothers, and I had truly done my best, morning and afternoon, to play it their way and sit, like a horrorshow co-operative malchick, in the chair of torture, while they flashed nasty bits of ultra-violence on the screen. Though not on the soundtrack, my brothers. The only sound being music. Then I noticed in all my pain and sickness what music it was that like hissed and bleeped.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

how big are those loving maracas

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's very cool, but it does make me want to check my monitor cables and your camera's white balance.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So would the theoretical overlap point between cheapest/lowest effort setup and highest visual accuracy be emulating with an old CRT monitor?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ah, the “ransom note“ school of design.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe VB emulation will take off on Oculus Rift and its kin.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been playing Kirby's Dream Land 3 on my Pi and any level with water, i.e. transparency, forces the emulator speed to its knees. It also reliably triggers the overheat alert.

e: RPi 3 and latest software, too.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 1, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kirby's Dream Course is firmly in my top ten SNES games. Maaaybe five.

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean, Kirby's Dreamland 3 is one of the games that pushed the SNES to it's limits, along with Yoshi's Island and Star Fox.
I'd been wondering, actually.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Could have had pages that fold out with some info printed on the back. You'd still have a crease in the middle but you could lay them flat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

d0s posted:

I don't think they meant to make it the exact dimensions of an arcade marquee, rather to make it the same shape as one and scale it down a bit so it's all on one page, which I would really prefer too. Making a book in the shape of a bezel would be pretty hilarious though
You could hide things in it!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That FMV in LttP sure is something. Different strokes and all, and they're better than the CDi sequences, but a big part of why I play retro games is that you can be knee deep in the story in the time it takes modern games to give you movement control, and, well...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love that you get three onion rings, one cherry tomato and one salad leaf, precisely as advertised.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kid Fenris posted:

Nah, they're fun. And they're certainly no shallower than the majority of games mentioned here without criticism.
I was gonna say, that seems like a weird thing to say in the retrogames thread.

Although yeah at this point skip 1-3 unless you're really interested in the development of the series and/or invested in being able to say you played all the Final Fantasy games.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

Have they hinted at a SNES Classic yet? I get the feeling that will far outperform the NES Classic.
It would have to have, like, all the Square/Enix RPGs. You could build a separate release around that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With the SNES RPGs that's a major advantage. You couldn't even pay me to accept a SNES Classic if it had the German translations of the time. They were beyond awful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

Edit: on another topic, how do people feel about emulators that introduce overlays or scanlines to try to replicate a CRT look? I haven't seen a CRT TV in action in over 10 years and honestly can't remember enough about how the picture looked to tell you if the type of stuff replicated here looks decent or like absolute poo poo. And I can't decide if I like it or not.
That reminds me that KozmoNaut recently posted a ton of good stuff on this topic in the obsolete tech thread. Too much to just quote here, but if you're at all interested, check his series of posts on this page.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Load times is one thing, load times after the FIGHT! prompt is something else entirely.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you don't want to gently caress around too much, a switched USB cable does the trick. You just have to remember to shut it down from the menu first.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hell, if they ever make an LCD TV with a built in scanline shader, I'll consider that. As it is I'm having a hell of a time finding anything anymore that has any inputs beyond HDMI and VGA-if-you're-lucky. Years ago I found a TV/monitor combo that featured just about every input under the sun and I bought two of those. Turns out though that the one thing they can't do is compensate for overscan and it's getting a bit obvious with PS4 games.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm this close to pulling my old N64 out of storage when I go visit my parents over Christmas, even though I'm well aware that at least one controller is busted and the other won't be looking much better after all this time, that most games I have are frankly a bit poo poo and that even if I did get a flashcart, I'd barely play the thing and just wonder why I spent so much cash on a flashcart.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sprite comics?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At parents' house, have located N64 and confirmed working order. Surprised analog sticks held up through than ideal storage. Trying to talk myself out of an Everdrive because I'd only have it sitting around as a novelty, but slowly failing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say this and not tell us what games it has with it. It's a requirement, dammit! :colbert:.
Games present: Mario Kart, SSB, Pokemon Stadium.
Games I know for a fact should also be there, and I will find out where: Mario 64, Tetrisphere, OoT, Blast Corps, F-Zero, Extreme-G, Starfox
Games that can stay gone: WWE games, Clayfighter

e: found them! Sadly, Blast Corps seems to be gone. Less sadly, so does Clayfighter.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 20, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Then again, if you can get a Classic Controller Pro for it, that's an excellent gamepad choice and will serve you well far beyond just emulating NES games.

One thing I think emulators on the Wii don't do at all though is shaders, so if you're after those sweet scanlines, watch out, or use a CRT obviously.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm re-playing Skyward Sword and holy moly the controls are not good. I appreciate what they were going for, but the Wii controller just isn't good enough at recognizing my movements.
One huge thing about controlling Skyward Sword for me was that if the game called for, say, a sword slash towards the right, I'd more or less unconsciously move the controller a bit to the left first in order to swing right, but the game would recognize that small movement as a swing to the left and I'd utterly fail at whatever right-swing task it had set me. I had to train myself to move only in the direction it demanded directly from my "neutral" position and that kind of worked, but also was the exact opposite of the intuitiveness motion controls were supposed to give us. I never did finish Skyward Sword because the controls were just so annoying.

This isn't very retro but today I got hold of a new copy of Nier - I always thought it was a semi-hard game to get a hold of, and there it was sitting on a store shelf where it had to have been for six years. Not a really great find, but I sure didn't expect to see it in the wild, much less in a store I'd been to lots of times before.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Do they make those skull gear knobs in arcade stick size?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

welp I've been doing things very wrong with my CDs it turns out

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not the Acclaim ones, definitely (WWF Warzone and Attitude, ECW). THQ published ones are pretty good, and moves are pretty much just direction + button. WWF No Mercy is probably the best, but launch copies can have a fairly serious bug that erases saved data. WWF Wrestlemania 2000 is pretty decent as well. They made WCW games before they got the WWF license, but I'd hazard a guess that earlier = worse.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Since I set up my Retropie I messed around with a lot of shaders and stuff, but the single biggest jump towards that oldschool CRT look was just turning down the render resolution to 640x480, turning on video smoothing and applying a simple scanline overlay. And I'm not even sure the first step is necessary.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wouldn't have thought you could put 100 different SNES games in a box and have the total value come to 10 grand unless you specifically picked the very most valuable ones.

More to the point, the collector seems to have posted on byuu's forum that he's on the most basic form of welfare, and he should probably not make that public because if our welfare office finds out he's sitting on a multiple ten grand collection he is super turbo hosed (champion edition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder if he's gonna dump every single language version from all over Europe. They often couldn't fit multiple languages on one cart. Mostly for RPGs which probably makes the problem its own solution as hardly any ever came out here :(

• Locked thread