Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Let's have a ground floor post with some Genesis comparisons in case someone asks "do I really want to track down a VA3 through VA6, Nomad, or CDX Genesis?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn2-K8TkXCs

edit: Also I don't know why everyone freaks out about the loving splash screen bios, it's a single goddamn second of copyright information and it's more stable with flashcarts and the Sega CD and 32X.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

I mean physically. They're shorter than a micro sd

The vita also runs at a lower power than microSD but I guess you could get around it I guess if you really care.

You'd still have to fight Sony's encrypted filesystem though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's just a side effect of the fact that it has a database (because encryption) and also that it never closes the database file unless you normally power down the system, so a power failure or removing the card can corrupt your database and cause it to forget everything.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Neither my Model 1, Nomad, nor 32X have ever fought me with any TMSS compatible game, so give your carts and console contacts a good cleaning, and maybe inspect the pins to make sure nothing's gotten bent out of position or stuck inside of the connector.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, it boots but it can't actually use the Game Genie because bus overlap with the 32x.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The most complex way to dump an NES rom.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The 32X is alright, though most of the games are obsoleted by others at this point. It has arcade perfect Afterburner and Space Harrier, Shadow Squadron and Darxide are nifty, and the other 20 games are just oddities or bad.

I paid $40 for mine complete and I think that's a good enough price, discounting the Model 1 Tax of having to order a new converter with a stereo lead.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 2, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

From the screenshots I see of Shadowrun for the SFC it looks like they just doubled the tile sizes for the font, which is fine since it's a slower paced adventure game.

edit: That's exactly what they did.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

In the competitor land, there's the Harmony for the 2600 (and maybe 7600?)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Umm?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I bought my Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer and it got here in about a week, though I just bought a board only one. You pay slightly more at SAG, but I like the extra safety of not having to do overseas shipping.

Also keep in mind if you want to get a Genesis one, he's releasing a new set that's gonna be a lot cheaper very soon.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Actually I said SAG is more expensive, but the Everdrive N8 is actually like a dollar cheaper before shipping through them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The 3DS is the only portable to have region locking, actually.

I guess the Vita and PSP technically can be region locked, but I don't think any games used the feature.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've always wished someone from Rare would dish on where that one went off the rails.

Probably around the planning phase when they went "Hey we should make Banjo-Tooie but even bigger."

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The VA7 Model 1/VA0 Model 2 isn't the worst thing ever, but it is noticeably less sharp and clear than a later revision model 2 or earlier model 1 Genesis. If it doesn't bother you though, I wouldn't go out of my way to hunt down a different revision or install a MegaAmp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiu8wDLV_9g

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Except for the triangle replacing the hi-hat, I like this.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yep that's a RPi with an enclosure and like 30 controllers.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I would not buy a Rpi to play PS1 or N64 games.

Honestly, the only thing I'd trust to play N64 games is an Everdrive 64.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I bought a CDX.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't pay the full $350 ebay price no, I knew the owner of the store that was selling it so I got a bit of a discount on their $250.

It's still very much :retrogames:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can get a good Model 1 or 2 Genesis and a big box of games for like $60 or less still, so there's not really a wrong answer for getting into it. The Genesis is too mainstream to really get jacked up by actual collectors and not Nintendo enough to really get wrapped up in the bubble, so it's easy and fun to collect carts as well.

The Sega CD is loving expensive right now though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

flyboi posted:

You probably shouldn't look at the price of Phantasy Star 4 in 2016

What the gently caress I paid $15 for it cart only just a year ago.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'll actually warn about the HDG models, the VA1 of them is very rough sounding, because the PSG channels run way too hot. Rings in Sonic and drums in games will sound very scratchy and loud compared to a VA2-6 or the VA3/4 model 2's.

The Nomad and CDX also sound really good through the headphone jacks because they have actual headphone amps inside of them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I was thinking of fun ways to break old games. Walk through walls codes for rpgs are always great for this. But I was just thinking. Are there any Game Genie or Code Shark codes for Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger or even Earthbound where you can move your character no matter what? Meaning, even during "cut scenes"?

You don't actually need codes to break the gently caress out of the FF6 cutscenes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

Do your systems have the capacity to display the standard SMPTE bars through a test suite on a flash cart? I know how to do it for using those.

Not my guide, but it's handy, although it is written for video editors in mind, just FYI.

https://sites.google.com/a/risd.edu/fav-wiki/processes-and-techniques/calibrating-a-monitor-with-color-bars

They mentioned having a Genesis flash cart, so here you go!

They also have them for the Dreamcast, SNES, and more.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I mean, PS4 is a JRPG, so it's going to be fine on drat near anything that has a Genesis emulator.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

There's also a version of the 3DO that's a PC ISA expansion card made by Creative. Came with it's own CD-ROM drive. I have no idea if anybody nowadays has even attempted to get that setup working.

The 3DO Blaster works fine still, assuming you have a functional card, the paired CD drive, and a windows 3.1 or DOS computer that has an open ISA port.

The nifty thing is that it let you take screenshots or scale the game on Win3.1, since all of the 3DO work was being done by the 3DO blaster and not your actual computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2CzI3qoci8

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

3rd party composite are all fine, it's Svideo and Component cables where you can get hosed. A lot of cheaper s-video cables are actually just the composite video split, which looks like rear end.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I mean, an ODE does exist for the Saturn already, in the form of Rhea and Phoebe, but that's by the same guy who did the GDEMU so it's expensive and you might not get one for a year.

The guy who inspired all the videos about breaking the Saturn CD block finally is putting the final touches on an MPEG card based flash cart, while the Pseudo Saturn Kai guy is also putting the final touches on his cart based USB flash cart.

In short, it's a good time to be a Saturn owner.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

FMV heavy games are harder to read and are more time sensitive than redbook audio and a small game program, so it makes sense that Sonic CD works even with scratches and Double Switch fucks up easily.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I bought a FC30 Pro and it's really nice, though it's default mode on Windows is kinda wonky. You can always just plug in a cable and use it in xinput mode at least.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just use ps4 controllers people, they are nice and the d-pads are good

I actually tend to use a ps3 controller because it's no effort after initial setup and I like it more.

xamphear posted:

Are you on the latest firmware? I didn't get my 8bitdo controllers until very recently, but I was looking through some of the firmware updates and a lot of them have been about adjusting the default behaviour of the different modes.

I am, but it still has too many buttons and it makes some programs freak out.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's much more likely that Nintendo is still enforcing their copyrights because they are pretty strict about them and afraid about people stealing them away.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Surely it's just talking about composite v RF, since the NES works internally in composite.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The only games worth considering a holder for would be like Pokémon Gold and Silver, since they will drain a battery in 5-10 years instead of 30.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Vay, interesting enough, can be bought on the iPhone.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If Sony didn't break into the console game back in 1994, I think the bigger question is who would really push 3D games. Neither the Saturn nor the N64 were particularly good at 3D, and there's good evidence that both were going to be considerably more 2D focused before Sony started throwing around their 3D claims.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Resident Evil would have worked, since RE2 was on the N64 and the Sega Saturn had the first game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Was the N64 really good at fast rendering? They farmed it out to a render farm company and even ignoring the texture issues, the N64 seems to have trouble rendering anything quickly. Even the games where Rare and Factor 5 did their own microcode and used every ounce of power they could wring out of the N64 kinda run like loving trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, it's various gameshark codes, for specific games, that disables one of like 5 passes of bilinear filtering.

You can pair it with the ultrahdmi's deblur filters and rom patches to completely remove the blur and see all the sharp polygons and dithered textures you want.

• Locked thread