Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, does this mean an SD/USB Drive for a Saturn would be as easy as plug-and-play into the card slot now that the encryption has been broken on it?

The guy who broke the encryption is actively working on that right this second and has it working well enough.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There might be a size limit through the cart slot, since another guy is doing something through that only lets you load small homebrew via the cart slot. His cart is also going to do the Pseudo Saturn functions, and be a SD based memory cart.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

A Raspberry Pi (or a PS Vita) is a quick way to learn that journaled file systems are great until you start randomly power cycling poo poo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Really if you don't have a 6 button controller, I suggest just getting one of the early ones, or just skip the hassle of finding a used one of the right model and buy Hyperkin's reprint that's made from the original Sega molds.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

My Hyperkin GN6 is completely identical to my Sega 6 button except for the logo printed on it. They both feel and work the exact same and have the same build quality.

I don't know how good the USB version is, but hopefully it's alright too.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The SegaCD FMV was particularly bad as well, because they still had to fight the Genesis's low palette count, and it's real loving hard to fit actual footage into 64 colors.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think the main reason that the Sega CD VDP didn't increase color depth is because they didn't want the price to climb even higher for it. They already used the bus to add and affect the game video, which is how it added hardware scaling and rotation.

I also wonder if Sega didn't really intend it to be used for real actor FMV, since the games that have drawn FMV scenes look great, and many of the official Sega titles were using the CD for music more than anything else.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Don't forget about Climax's weird PSP port/sequel, Black Falcon!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I wouldn't mind an Auto Modellista if they can make the controls not poo poo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

d0s posted:

this is the worst thing right here, I get that people can be hyperbolic about some of this stuff but if this doesn't annoy you in some way you have no soul. I am so pissed I sold my psone before seeing how cool they are with the LCD :smith:

e: using the screens of the lovely knockoff ones is a-ok tho

Aren't the official PSOne screens kinda rare now because so many people used them as an out of the box screen for dumb portables?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can still have shelves full of games, you just need to import them or get into the Genesis.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That means that your AC adapter is poo poo, you should get a stronger one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

fishmech posted:

I doubt Gamestop deliberately threw out cases and manuals in bulk, so much as people traded in disc only games, or games in hosed up cases missing the manual/cover art paper or with that stuff ripped up. I mean they had all those blank DVD cases available for games they only had a disc for after all.

I mean I remember plenty of times picking up some game or other and there was someone ahead in line trading in games with literally the whole front half the case ripped off, or a disc or DS cart rubber-banded to a beat up manual

Last year I sold a Pokémon Diamond to Gamestop because it was an instant $30 and they explicitly told me they were gonna chuck the case into the trash and let me keep the empty case.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Ofecks posted:

Someone may have answered this at some point, but are there original GD-ROM images out there? All I ever came across were hacked-up DiscJuggler shits made to fit on a CDR, which was fine I guess, but that's not gonna cut it for proper preservation.

I don't have a link or anything, but there's a proper modern set of SCD/Saturn/DC isos now, instead of the old hacked up ones and the bin/cue/mp3 ones.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If it's just while it's spinning up a disk and not the tray opening it might just need some oiling in a couple of spots. Apparently the tray contact switches can do that too, and they're not terribly hard to get to and clean up.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I bet Sakura Taisen lives on in pachislot form, just like all the old franchises that deserve better.

Sega never really got into the pachislot game, probably because PSO2 and mobile games are cheaper to make and theirs are doing pretty well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

SamSho RPG is kinda okay :v:

PSO2 is basically Second Life Japan with more dress-up gaming than all the Project Diva and Idolm@ster games put together so that has to be a serious moneymaker

I mean I've given Sega over $200 between PSO2 and Puyo quest because I'm garbage.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Exactly as many SMS versions they made (6,)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There was an emulator called BGB that did most Super Game Boy functions, though I don't think it did the most advanced things like Space Invaders.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

On the other hand, the premium that the SD2SNES carries over a DSP upgraded Super Everdrive is enough to offset modern versions of Ecco the Dolphin CD personally.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The carts themselves are surprisingly decent. They're made of a softer plastic than real carts and are attached with plastic nuts rather than metal screws, but they feel sturdy. They're not going to fall apart in shipping. The case is intentionally a bit different from standard Genesis case as there's a notch in the side (sadly, not filled in with yellow plastic). So there's no way that a cart from this seller could immediately be passed off as legit to even a casual observer. There's some goofy mangled English on the back of the cart as well warning you not to bend the case in direct sunlight.

This part, by the way, is so the cart works in a Japanese MD1, since the power switch moves a block into that notch.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I like the Japanese case honestly, but most of it is because the Japanese case is rigid enough in the Nomad that a bump doesn't cause it to lock up. I keep my Everdrive in a Japanese shell most of the time specifically because of this.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Rirse posted:

I noticed a goon in SA Mart is selling their Sega Nomad that was in the process of being given the LCD mod. I want to get it, but how hard is it to solder the new lcd screen to get it working? Don't think I solder anything since high school!

It's not terrible if you have a compatible screen, though I honestly think the Nomad screen looks alright as it is once you get the brightness right.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 1, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I can't find anything about the prices then, but probably a couple thousand dollars if it was like most.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They're the Sigma 8000tb, the included db15 stick for that super gun laying in front of them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You could probably make some arguments that it doesn't have course world because The 3DS Is A Pile Of poo poo, but the real answer is that Nintendo still wants you to buy a Wii U.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

What is it, a CPS changer or a weird cased supergun?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I mean, as it mentions, emulators themselves are perfectly legal and it doesn't come with any (copywritten) roms. It'll probably get a name change though.

This emulator's also been on the Windows 8/Windows Phone store for like two years, and works alright enough.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's PSO like these days?

It's literally Space Diablo (1), with all the clunkyness and difficulty that comes with that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Fun fact: Street Fighter: The Movie: The Arcade Game: The Saturn Game is a decent version of SF2Turbo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's actually just SF2turbo with digitized actors instead of sprites! The arcade game itself is actually a completely different and more MK style fighter.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

This has Nintendo molded into the plastic of the controller plug end and terminates in an 8 (?) pin connector. Looks like an official accessory was disassembled, the connector was probably plugged into a port on the PCB, but which accessory was it?

That's probably the plug end of a NES dogbone controller, if I had to guess.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I have, but i'm not paying $150 for one and Mario's Tennis.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

Still better than the fan translation of the Super Famicom version that was infamous for adding tons of dirty jokes where none existed. i.e. “I bet Arche fucks like a Tiger.”

I love 90-00's fan translations

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Doesn't Magic Engine also do PCFX in the registered version?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Wizgot posted:

I had a friend tell me Metal Slug was a better game than Super Mario World. He even had the balls to say they were both platformers.

I can not bring myself to disagree with your friend.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Sonic games have less variety than SMW also because they're very much arcade games, and you can beat all three games in about an hour and a half even if you don't really know what you're doing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can fire diagonally in Metal Slug, you need to just have the HMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hard Corps, from what I can find, is pretty well regarded in Japan, and it had a health system.

The Japanese release apparently was also a very small print run.

• Locked thread