Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

great op, i think having the pictures of the various consoles is a nice touch and will hopefully attract new posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

sack up and use craigslist. if you're willing to drive, you can find some excellent deals. got my pvm through craigslist for $50, as well as cheap copies of rockman & forte, einhander and legend of zelda: ocarina of time.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i've been watching some dreamcast videos lately and i'm thinking about grabbing a system and a gdemu board at some point. i started looking around for the retrobit vga box only to find that it's no longer in production. the only benefit to these is being able to switch between s-video, vga and composite without having to unplug the dreamcast, yeah? i think i might just grab a vga cable instead. alternately, are there any other vga boxes people recommend in lieu of retrobit's?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

been a while since i've posted pick ups, but i've picked up a few games recently.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I saw it posted before, but the 8bitdo SNES Bluetooth receiver, any of you guys have any experience with it? Any input Lag?

I did NOT realize that it works with most Bluetooth controllers on the market, like my Wii U Pro Controller or PS4 controller.

I saw it in this video while browsing Youtube randomly looking up retro stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-nvlObxC5I

He didn't really go into lag issues or anything though, and the community here seems to be rather well versed in this stuff and definitely not pulling punches.

For $20 my interest is peaked. I figured I had to use their SNES controllers with it.
drat, this is a pretty attractive option for super famicom owners, and i really like that they have a mock sfc controller and everything. i don't play the sfc nearly as much as my other consoles because of the super short controller cords... as nostalgic as it is to sit on the floor, it just becomes an actual pain in the rear end after about an hour or more. i've kinda gone back and forth about possibly taking snes controllers and swapping out the cords with sfc ones, but i don't like the idea of mangling oem controllers like that. i'll probably pick one up when i get paid next week.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 15, 2016

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i finally saw a bvm in person this weekend at an art museum. i immediately thought of this thread.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

drat, those commercials really make me want an Atari and an Intellivision... and I know full well they can't do smooth animations or rotoscoping.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

the thing that's always surprised me about pvms is how good a ps2 over component looks on them.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Wizgot posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap Super Famicom games? My friend is in Japan and said he would pick something up for me.

Are we talking exclusives or just anything that might be cheap?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

So, I know someone mentioned it a while back but I'm quite interested in doing another gift exchange. I'm absolutely swamped with work at the moment, but I'm interested in helping out in whatever capacity I can. I should talk to FactsAreUseless and see if current mods are still cool with gift exchanges. Also, does anyone know what website was being used to track stuff for previous gift exchanges?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Just found a cheap copy of Pokemon Blue at Book Off... it looks like Pokemon gen 1/2 carts have gone back down to regular prices. I almost grabbed a copy of Gold with a dead battery there last week for $10, but hesitated. Definitely gonna get the remaining games before prices go up again.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Half the fun of buying used memory cards is going through them and judging the previous owner's taste in videogames.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Spoderman posted:

You've got to play Die Hard Arcade. With a buddy if possible.
Seconding this.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Acid is a dude. I think you're all discounting that he deliberately lies to people to scam/manipulate them and is good at doing it (see Rufus jumping in to defend him every time he's brought up). I wish someone had tipped off the IRS about him because among other things, he was definitely a tax cheat to the tune of thousands of dollars.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You know what I don't care about? Talking about acid police
I'm sorry, I have a brain disease that causes me to post whenever he's brought up.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Speaking of PS1s, is it even worth replacing a disc drive/mod chipping one at this point? It's my favorite console and I'd like to be able to grab the few imports that look interesting but it seems like something that's a pain in the rear end and I'd like the disc drive to last more than a few years.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not worth it for older model PS1's due to the mechanism being so close to the power supply that it will just melt again. Not a problem with SCPH-5500 and up models and should last.
The mod chip or the cd drive replacement? Also, what about the slim PS1/PSOne?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Finally was able to grab a GDemu a few weeks back (the guy who makes them seems to make insanely small batches so they sell out in minutes) and just installed it. Also opted for a 3d printed tray and I'm glad I did, because the board just didn't feel terribly secure with the stock plastic stints. Also, the inclusion of slots for multiple SD cards is a nice feature, although I'm able to fit every game I'm interested in on a single SD card (it's in the mail, the ones below were just to give the board a try for the first time). Super easy install, just had to open the DC and remove the drive, no additional parts necessary. And like any retro good console, there were a few dead bugs inside. :D

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

The PVM 20M2U has a 16:9 widescreen mode :getin:

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Cliche Guevara posted:

Did you pull the trigger on it out of sheer luck, or were you notified by some alert or something? I want this bad - but I wasn't sure if I would've ever heard from the creator. Did they send out an e-mail or something?
I got lucky. I subscribed to receive email updates whenever he posts but he didn't bother to post when they were going up. I just happened to be up for work that day and was checking my phone every half hour. From what I'm aware, he seems to open sales at like 1-3 PST in the morning so it's generally a pain in the rear end to get.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

worthless. posted:

I'm thinking about selling all my physical games and just go for everdrives and SD card mods and whatnot. I'm terrified that I'll regret it though. People who did this, how did it turn out?

I'm kinda on the fence about doing this myself. Especially with ODEs and the way shorter load times, not to mention the imminent death of disc drives and just how expensive collecting is these days, it just seems like the most sensible option. Not to mention, with the money I could pull in from selling my collection, I could probably afford the flash carts, a scart switch and a few more consoles with all the bells and whistles (peripherals, memory cards, etc).

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Hey guys, so I recently decided due to personal stuff going on in my life and lack of use these days that I'm gonna sell my retro game collection. I figured I'd give you all a heads up in case you're interested... right now, I've just got PS2 and PS3 stuff for sale, but I'm going to be selling my Gameboy, Super Famicom and N64 ccollections as well. I'll post again in the thread as I put up new threads in SA-Mart.

PS2 games and console
PS3 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Just wanted to add my two cents on the PVM chat. I've had one for a few years and while I really like it, it absolutely isn't worth hundreds of dollars. Not by a long shot. I lucked out and got a 20M2U for $50 two years ago and I feel like that's a fair price for one. I've played all my consoles over composite and RGB and honestly, I can't see a huge difference between the two. They all look fine on a CRT. Hell, I've compared my PVM to a friend's consumer-grade Trinitron and the Trinitron is a perfectly fine option. They're way more abundant and people are more or less giving them away at this point. Having said that, I'm definitely going to keep my PVM because I can't afford a Framemeister and honestly, trying to get all my retro consoles running over an HDTV sounds like a pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread