Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
If I want to mod my Saturn and get that ram pack thing in the OP where's a good place to buy those things? Link in OP is no good anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I will probably go deep down the retro hole sometime in the next year by getting a Frameister and trying to hook up 12+ consoles at once. Depends how many redundant consoles I want hooked up. Do I hook up a ps1 when I have s ps2, for example? Maybe I'll just display it but not worry about it being immediately playable.

Is there a good SCART switcher yet? I was watching some older videos of peoples setups and they kept saying that wasn't really a thing but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 29, 2017

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hey does frame meister and good cables do anything about that weird vertical wavy line on most SNES?

Probably not... but I can dream!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was gonna hit him up for an nes and n64 RGB mod at some point so I'll probably just send him that too if he's up for it.

I don't think I ever noticed it until reading about it in the previous thread :negative:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Is there a one stop shop for all the SCART cables I'm going to need? NES after I mod it, SNES, Genesis, N64w/mod, Saturn

I think that's it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I checked my local Toys R Us. The clerk said he too had heard that some were showing up but they didn't get any at their store.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Think there's any chance in hell they don't go in and fix whatever allowed people to add games to NES classic? Will the people, as always, find a way regardless?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

FireMrshlBill posted:

I haven't checked on Framemeister prices since they stopped being manufactured and prices shot up

I only recently started thinking about getting into the Framemeister game and didn't know this was a thing. How much do they cost currently? What are they "supposed" to cost when the supply isn't so limited? Do we expect a new run of them at some point?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So if I wanted to try buying a Framemeister from Solaris which one do I want? They have like 4 different products listed. Do they take different types of SCART cables or something? which are easiest to get?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Just use a Wii?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Tried to buy a framemeister but my card was auto declined for some reason. I assume relating to it being a foreign web site out something. Gonna have to call my bank on Monday.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
What should I expect to pay for a PS3 these days? My launch one took a poo poo in 2013 (I know because I was playing Ni No Kuni) and I've always planned to get another one at some point.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 21, 2017

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
nvm

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 27, 2017

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Is GDemu the best way to load up a Dreamcast with games?

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 27, 2017

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Phone posted:

Stop spending money on dumb poo poo. (Looks at sd2snes)

as someone who just dropped the money on the sd2snes but hasn't received it yet this really bums me out

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Do you think the emulation on the SNES classic will give the scene any clues toward getting games like Star Fox and Mario RPG running properly?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I guess I'm just in that SD2SNES frame of mind and I know a lot of games are still on the incompatibility list.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/theres-a-directional-120-hdmi-cable-that-actually-improves-your-picture-quality/

You guys hear about these $120 hdmi cables that perform some form of Anti Aliasing? I'd consider it at like 50 bux for a couple consoles. Right now it's the worst deal in cables since the GCN Component

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The Nintendo Classic consoles are probably fine enough for most people especially when you factor in the price of these things but it isn't at all perfect. There were some audio issues with the NES Classic. There were also some issues with the way it handled the pixels or something that wasn't quite right that made things look weird when scrolling. I dunno I just watched a video about it.

I expect for 99% of buyers it'll be just like they remember.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I had an edgy console skin for my og Xbox and GameCube. It felt really good peeling that poo poo off when I got all my consoles organized and out of storage.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Accuracy takes power: one man’s 3GHz quest to build a perfect SNES emulator

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Seems relevant to current discussion

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 1, 2017

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Should I be running consoles I have Component cables for (ps2, og xbox, wii) through the Framemeister with a component>dlink thing or just go direct to the TV?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hows about a little XBox game called Jade Empire?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Also, make sure to bring gloves. Something about the bottoms of those things will tear your hands up.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Is there any place to get a gdemu right now or do I need to wait for preorders to open up again?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I found a Breath of Fire 2 retranslation that at first glance is way better than the official one. Not that this is any great feat, that official translation was rough. Just wondering if there are any what other games might be out there that were fan translated to be an improvement over the actual release.

Any suggestions? Especially for SNES but I'm curious in the topic at large too.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

FF6 has one or two re-translations. Some fans apparently have an issue with Ted Woolsey's localization. I personally don't think they're that great.

Here's one of them: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/697/

The one FFVI Fan Translation I've seen (not sure if it was that one) was very bad. Like even the creator said it was bad and was only doing it as a way to better learn Japanese. It was far too literal and very poorly written.

I'm pretty comfortable with the normal FF6 translation.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Digging around and I can't believe nobody has tackled Secret of Mana yet. Maybe this upcoming rerelease will actually make some amount of sense and somebody can take the text and stick it in an SNES rom.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I just got mine and I'm really happy with it!

I think if you aren't already "all-in" with a retro setup that uses the original hardware and focuses on accuracy and whatnot you might be better off going the emulation route though. Either SNES Classic and adding the rest of the games you want to it or a Retropie some other thing.

It's pretty loving cool though. It's my first flash cart. I look forward to tricking out the rest of my consoles. So far I've got a PS2 with a HDD in it and now the SD2SNES. Not sure where I'll go next...

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So tell me about this Kirkzz black friday sale. Is it something he (?) does every year? What sort of discounts are we talking? Are enough people jumping on it that I have to act fast to get something?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Play the MSU-1 patch of A Link to the Past when you get it and you will never have to ask that question again.

Is there a comprehensive list of MSU-1 games? I've also found finding the audio files for some of the games to be tricky. None of the links in the README that came with the MSU-1SMW patch work anymore, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Looks like the SMW link might be working now too! I did notice in a video I watched demoing it that the music didn't change while riding Yoshi though and that might be a deal breaker for me.

• Locked thread