Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Drone posted:

So I know the OP says that most retrogaming enthusiasts here use original hardware, but I've gotten into using a Raspberry Pi as a Neo Geo emulator given how loving expensive Neo Geo stuff is. Is there a USB arcade stick (not normal handheld controller) that is relatively cheap but also considered good? I know I could use one of the big expensive ones that competitive fighting game players use, but I don't need something with that much accuracy and that high of a price tag.

I just bought one of these. It's not exactly top of the line, but it works great for emulation. I've only tried it on PC, but it works on PS4 if you've got one of those too. You're not gonna find anything this good for cheaper than $40.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fightin...ng+Stick+Mini+4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Why would you throw this?

You gotta admit, it's pretty impressive he could even pick it up let alone throw it. It looks pretty heavy.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Hey, kind of a weird tangent, I guess, but if there's anyone who would know the answer to this question, I'd assume you guys would.

I just got the PS4 port of the PS2 game The Warriors - and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was watching the intro FMV, and one of the characters says "Are you going human being?"

It really surprised me - I don't recall hearing that at all when I played it, and I'm surprised that they kept the phrase in the game. I haven't seen the film - shame on me - so I'm assuming that it's drawn verbatim from it?

But it got me thinking - what other games have ever prominently used the word 'human being?' Because your garden variety swears of 'gently caress' and 'drat' and 'poo poo' et al have certainly become commonplace - but thankfully human being hasn't, and it's certainly fallen out of use in recent years.

I can remember, back in 2005 (when this game was released) and certainly before it, that I would utilize the epithet, casually even, in conversation and on the internet, but since then I've come to blanch and react negatively to it as strongly as I would incredibly strong racial epithets, which now brings me to a better inquiry - how many notable games in history have utilized what are certainly now nearly forbidden epithets/insults?

I don't see what's so controversial. He's just talking about some delicious meatballs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8IAJZTc-w

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

I don't mind that they don't look like the originals, but I do mind that they don't even try to match the design aesthetic of the cartridges beyond using NES-grey plastic. You've got these swooping curved lines on the system and this blocky, textured piece of poo poo sticking out the top. They should have made some kind of blocky, chunkity-rear end design.

I agree, the huge cartridge sticking out of that thing just looks wrong. I wouldn't mind that look with something like a Famicom or SNES cart.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the back:

here's the box (the guy on the screen is an olympic swimmer, not some random skinhead)

It looks pretty terrible, but I can't lie. I totally would have bought a red and white Canadian GBC if it existed.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

I recently tried to get into 9 but couldn't just because it took so long to get anywhere that wasn't basically an interactive movie. I've got no time and no attention span anymore.

I've never really liked FF9. I've tried to play it a couple of times and always give up. It's just so slow and meandering. Nothing really happens.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Phantasium posted:

That's a blessing in disguise, because original DQ7 flies right in the face of my pacing argument, clocking in about an hour and half before you get into the first drat fight.

I just started playing the new version. It's definitely streamlined from the original, but it still takes a bit too long to get going. In all, I'm pretty pleased with it so far though. I thought it was just a port, I didn't realize it was a full 3D remake till I started playing it.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Kid Fenris posted:

Crisis Core seemed OK from what I played but I stopped around the point where a guy named Genesis asked the main character what angels dream about.

Yeah, the story is pretty ridiculous but the game play is really great. I'd still recommend it.
  • Peace Walker is great. Maybe my favorite Metal Gear game.
  • Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories are both worth playing, although the PS2 ports are definitely better.
  • Legends of Heroes:Trails in The Sky is a great old-school RPG. Sort of like a PS1 classic that never was.
  • God of War:Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus are really good.
  • Kingdom Hearts:Birth by Sleep is good, although it's got the same problem as Crisis Core. Bad story, good gameplay.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Those photos reminded me, I would kill for 8bitdo to do an NES / SNES Advantage clone. Preferably with good hardware, or easily swappable hardware. And all those turbo switches. Preferably with the same build quality / weight that the originals had.

I'd buy one of each, and I know my nerd friends would too.

They make a Famicom joystick. I don't have one, so I can't speak for it's quality.

http://www.8bitdo.cn/fc30joystick/

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I've started to get into the world of Game Boy Advance first-person shooters. The Ecks vs. Sever games are bizarrely competent

The Ecks vs Sever games are part of a rare breed. Licensed games that are better than their source material. It's like a bizarro version of every other licensed game. The only other one I can think of is Dino City for the SNES.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Also at some point they ran with a gag where the toppings were some seriously wacky poo poo. The only one I can remember was linguine and clam sauce.

Cinemassacre actually did a ninja turtles pizza taste test. They went through every episode, made the pizzas, and had their friends eat them and give their opinions. It's pretty funny.

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/05/19/tmnt-pizza-taste-test/

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Kid Fenris posted:

Are we posting photos of games and cats again? Awesome, here's mine!

I think your cat is in the wrong aspect ratio.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Cindy Shitbird posted:

what constitutes trying to get drunk on mouthwash in this metaphor?

Farmville?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

d0s posted:

not when you consider that as a medical unit it spent most of it's life displaying the inside of anuses

Wouldn't that just make it sexier? :gizz:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

I don't see a lot of awareness around for this so I just want to remind everyone that there was a Mappy cartoon and it was hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yko5t3EHeac

Thanks, I totally forgot this existed. Kris Straub is always great.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Panic Restaurant posted:

Adventure Island II (Solid port of NES Adventure Island 3), Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, and Mole Mania are personal favorites of mine.

Mole Mania is great. That game is criminally overlooked. It's the Miyamoto game no-one ever talks about.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I remember renting Cobra Triangle, thus wasting that weekend's game/movie rental allowance

I owned that one as a kid. I remember liking it, although it was too hard. I haven't played it in years though.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

I just notice something kind of cool. They did a Street Fighter IV challenge on latest episode of The Amazing Race. The contestants had to win a round vs a Korean pro. The contestants were given American-style bat top sticks, while the Korean pros used ball tops. That had to be intentional. I probably wouldn't have noticed that little tidbit if I hadn't read about the different tops in this thread.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I've been a fan of Amazing Race for years but stopped watching after the seasons started to be more gimmicky (dropped it completely when the contestants were 'internet celebrities' - which I didn't recognize a single one) but I guess I will have to check this out. Although if the pro plays 100%, the teams might spend hours here and their hands would bleed, kinda like that infamous rolling open hay stacks challenge in Sweden.

The pros got a handicap after so many wins. First they played one handed, then they played one handed and blindfolded. Some of the teams still had a lot of trouble.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

To this day, I still have never had a white mushroom house appear in SMB3.

Don't feel too bad, I had no idea they even existed until you mentioned it. And I played a ton of Mario 3 as a kid.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Wizgot posted:

What are the best 2-player games on the SNES and Genesis?

Goof Troop
NBA Jam
Hit The Ice

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

That weird noise at the beginning sounds like someone's stomach rumbling. It kind of bugs me. Maybe it's supposed to be the "Warrior Needs Food Badly" music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Star Ocean 2 is the only good one

Star Ocean 2 is good, but I'd probably recommend the PSP remake over the PS original.

• Locked thread