Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:firstpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hi guys,

This beauty came into my possession with the purchase of my house

And I found these guys inside of it:

They're for the '99 version of the game, though i have no idea how to install them nor what they're good for

For some reason, I'm getting some weird flicker, which i think is from something going on with the motherboard or whatever these old doohickeys are called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIuHbU2lsHo

I would love to fix this if it's cheap. It would also be cool to have some idea of how much this bad boy is worth and if I can swap out the chips to play a different game (i can tell at least the monitor was used for a different game based on this

)

Anyways, what are some tips for owning old arcade games?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Any cabinet nerds have any idea what could be causing this? Last time I played it I noticed some screen flickering but now it is an order of magnitude worse

:rip:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay so I was able to get a picture of the board, is there a way to tell if a rom is bad? Also, why the heck does his board have three different games on it

I found these in the bottom of it

Is there a guide for newbie cabinet owners somewhere? This thing came with my house and while I like it I was hoping to sell it to pay for a new PC

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

The game has a service mode that tells you if the ROMs, RAM, and other parts are good or not. It looks like the board has been upgraded through a few different Golden Tee versions. They're all on the same hardware, just with different program ROMs. There should be a switch inside the coin door that puts the game in service mode.

I tried entering that but even the graphics in that mode are all messed up so I can't read anything. I was thinking maybe it was the video connection, but then maybe it is bad ROMs, which is why it has the spares in the little white box

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

The ROMs in the box look like GT '99 and the board has GT Classic installed. It's either bad ROMs, bad VRAM, or some IC on the board went bad. A technician would be able to dump the ROMs with an EPROM reader and verify they match an authentic set.

If the video is scrambled in test mode, you'll need to fix it enough to make test mode work again. I'm not sure where the arcade community hangs out these days, it used to be RGVAC.

E: Looks like these guys diagnose and repair Golden Tee PCBs.

Hmm good to know, he's pretty cheap too which is good. Thanks!

I'll take the back off and poke around at it tomorrow. I just noticed the plug doesn't have a ground stud for some reason so I wonder if the recent lightning storm did something to it or something. I know the area around the CRT is off limits due to high voltage but I'd like to see if I can spot something off

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

All i know is that I would actually buy an SNES mini because the SNES is the first console I remember

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cliche Guevara posted:

I really don't get what the hell Nintendo is doing these days. The NES Classic was such easy money, why shoot the golden goose so quickly? Do they feel that the Switch is good enough that they don't feel they need to "exploit" their consumer base or something?

Someone please explain. I'm clearly missing something.

Nintendo CEO's like public humiliation stuff, it's kind of their schtick

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My problem with the switch is that there is exactly one good game that is on it right now.

Otherwise I probably would have bought it by now

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If the snes mini was all first party games it would still be a hit because all of the first party games ruled pretty hard

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I went to a Kmart last year and they still had new in box game boy advance games and PlayStation 2 games

Don't give up hope, friend

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had asked around here previously about getting my cabinet's PCB fixed based on what I assume is some sort of corruption, but I dont remember who was recommended to me other than they were in Indiana. I believe it may be this guy based on that alone but I'm not sure:

http://www.arcade-service.com/pcb-repair/

Basically the cabinet was working then one day I turned it on and everything was rainbow coloured snow. I can't find my original post but basically the diagnoses was PCB

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just use an xbone controller, it's great (and probably heretical)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ok I finally was able to get my cabinet that came with the house pulled out and taken apart and I found some uhhh... things? That look fishy and hopefully people know about

Tldr is I turned it on one day The the screen looked like this

With brief moments of "clarity"

This looks like a pcb thing based on what I had read, but I don't see any bad caps at least as far as I can tell

These is this but it doesn't appear to be near any circuitry on the board itself

Other than that I found this on what I think is the flyback board but I think it's some sort of electronics grease that's a million years old

The cabinet is apparently older than most of my coworkers

What should I look at next? Does anyone have any idea how much this thing is worth? based on old ebay posts i was guessing $2,000 at the max since it's popular in bars and poo poo, but if it's going to be a pain in the dick to fix i would take the loss and sell it to some shop (or a metro detroit goon who would like to make a quick flip)

edit: looks like it's more like $500 - $1000 depending on the buyer so maybe i wont bother fixing it.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 14, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

Pull off the PCB connector (at the top of your pic), it's a JAMMA connector. Clean it with alcohol like you do a SNES edge and put it back on, see if it makes a difference. Arcade machines are pretty easy to fix, and if nothing else you can slap another JAMMA game in that cabinet and be ready to rock. How does the cabinet look on the outside?

Like new, and the trackball is new as well. It'd be kind of neat to be able to keep it instead of lugging it out of the basement

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

Dude, is it a lovely golf game? A new board might only be $50, check on eBay. Also, that cabinet is worth more as a dedicated Mortal Kombat than a lovely golf game (actually, maybe not, depending on which game it is). But really, you need to head over to KLOV to ask these types of questions. The dudes there will help you out.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com

Hell yeah

It would be rad as gently caress if I could figure out how to convert it back to a mortal combat thing to have for when I have parties or kids

Thanks for all the tips, guys :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sonic CD was the first sega game I played (because it came bundled with the windows 95 system that my parents bought)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It’s just megathreads with a billion posts I think

• Locked thread