Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Pardon but I have a quick question.

I have been wanting to set up a retro gaming thing for a while but I am poor so it's not easy to justify all the money I figured I'd have to pour into it. Just getting a nice old TV seemed destined to cost me over $200. However I was recently at a local thrift shop getting clothes and randomly had a buddy of mine look for a nice old TV. He found one right away. Sony Trinitron with RGB. Maybe they all have RGB, I just know that RGB is apparently the best or something for SD stuff. It's about 30 or 32 in my friend estimated.

They want $20 for it. That is pretty much the best deal I can ever hope for, right? I ask because that SOB is heavy and I am of the pipeweed nerd variety and need to get a couple of my more muscular friends to not only lug that sucker out of the store but up to my second floor apartment. So it's pretty cheap but requires some commitment and planning.

Others have given you good advice already, but if you're in Europe, pretty much every consumer TV has an RGB scart input. As for retro consoles, the SNES, Megadrive/Genesis, Saturn and the PS1 output RGB naturally and you just need an RGB cable. The NES you can mod for RGB, as with the N64 and PC Engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

The emulator approach obviously doesn't give you the shelf swag if that matters to you, and generally speaking has increased input lag compared to the raw console (it is essentially impossible to get the same instant reaction an NES with a CRT receiving an analog AV signal with an emulator solution), although this tends to matter most with highly competitive play like speedrunning (this is also why Smash Bros. Melee tournaments are always done on a CRT). Also, since all emulators do some degree of authenticity sacrificing, this can be make-or-break or some; like try playing Contra 3 on most SNES emulators, the machine gun doesn't sound right, and the car at the beginning doesn't create system slowdown when it explodes.

Of course, we're talking hundreds if not thousands of dollars (or even tens of thousands if you really gotta catch 'em all) to "correct" these issues, and they carry their own headaches like flaky, unreliable hardware given it's going to be old as hell, specific "hot" titles being expensive as all hell...you gotta pick your poison, basically.

This is why I adopted using original hardware, PVM monitor, etc. but for games, it's flashcarts and CD-R's all the way. I got really, really fed up with the collecting aspect of (retro) gaming as a hobby but I like playing games and how the systems look on a CRT (or in my case, a PVM) too fully use emulators. Your point on flaky hardware still stands, though, some day they'll break, but may that day be far away.

e: a 32 inch CRT is huge though. Good luck hauling it without breaking your back. By the by, this is probably one of the reasons I'm not that keen for a Framemeister/OSSC - I wouldn't feel right looking at retro games on my 40 inch Samsung smart TV, no matter how good they'd look. 20 inch is the sweet spot for me.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 4, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

evobatman posted:

Finally all is good in the world.

E: Well it will be when I get an RGB Scart cable, since I don't want to butcher my GC cable.

The PAL/SFC console looks so much better than the purple wonder.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

Though I'm sure I could go digging deeper on other sites, looking at SFC games on ebay still makes a basic everdrive real appealing. Even if I spent more and bumped it up to the DSP series of chips option that's a lot more games vs getting a couple of random cart lots with the usual chaff in them. I'm 80% to 90% sure I can live without the games with more exotic chips in them.

I've probably made this post before, but when I was buying flashcarts, I took the SD2SNES and haven't regretted it one bit. All the special chips, auto region patching (playing on a PAL 50/60hz modded SNES), fast loading, MSU-1 support..

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's the standard setup if you have any love for shmups though?

A friend of mine claims that turning CRT's or PVM's sideways in tate mode might cause damage because the components inside them can be connected in a way that's not meant to support their weight sideways. I'm not tech savvy enough to comment if it's true or not. Does anyone here know enough about the insides of those monitors to comment?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 10, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I played some consoles (everything from an NES to an FM Towns) at a convention today on Sony Trinitron and Panasonic monitors and I must have image quality that clear at home. What can I get on eBay as far as a CRT for consoles that isn't $600 or 200 pounds?

Alternatively, my dad has some model of Sony Wega CRT but it's both 30+ inches and 200 pounds.

Look around local thrift stores or Craigslist (I think this is the place for you US types where random people sell their stuff) or an equivalent site. You can probably get a good CRT for a bargain if you keep searching. Also you don't really need a huge CRT to enjoy retro gaming, I've personally found that a 20 inch monitor is the sweet spot for my setup - and my current 20'' PVM weighsonly 30 kg!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DeathBySpoon posted:

I definitely recommend it if you've never tried it out. Any other suggestions for lesser known NES titles?

I assume you want NES, not Famicom? My lesser known games list usually includes stuff like Crystalis, Conquest of the Crystal Palace, Clash at Demonhead, Whomp 'em! , Felix the Cat, Xexyz, W.U.R.M or even Action in New York (or S.C.A.T).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

So, I kinda lucked out, and about half of my Saturn collection is games that currently go for $100 and up on Ebay. I know people were talking about a classic gaming bubble a year or so ago, but does anyone have opinions on whether the market has peaked yet?

A couple years ago I would've said that with various Everdrives and flashcarts becoming more readily available (in good quality) prices will come down, but it's not happening as much as I thought it would. In Saturn's case, perhaps when they get a similar system that reads ISOs off a SD working properly, it might drive prices down ... but who knows when that'll be, and like I said, it didn't have as big of an effect on various other consoles.

I can only speak for my local collecting market but at least for NES market the biggest SCN (scandinavia) boom seems to already die down a bit. People aren't biting on the prices people put up and they have to drop a bit. Prices are still high, but not rising anymore, is my current estimate.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

They're kind of for the odd retro gamer, maybe - the one who is more invested in the hardware than the software, which I think might fit plenty of us in this thread.

This is certainly me these days. I just bought a PC Engine Duo and a Dreamcast. I want a bigger scart switcher because my Joytech only has 5 RGB scart slots and it's already full. (chaining a few different ones together seems like a really dumb idea to me.) I love discovering new games and playing them. I did not enjoy spending hundreds of €'s on a game that mostly sat on the shelf. YMMV though and I respect serious collectors too.

When it comes to Panasonic CRT's they are mostly very good, the Quintrix (TX) series is on par with Sony's Trinitrons.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Over here in Finland people said either "Super Nintendo" or "snes" or "snessi". (same kind of convention applies to the NES, just remove the first "S")

I've always thought saying the Es-En-Ee-Es must be a pronunciation for those who speak english as their native language but reading some comments here I'm not so sure anymore.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm the other way around, I specifically wanted something else than a standard grey cart. Got the transparent red for my N8 as well.

re: flashcarts - I just put whatever I wanted there manually from a Goodset package. Didn't want to browse through hundreds and hundreds of games that don't interest me at all. When I find a new game I want to try, I'll just put that in the SD card.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 26, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have bought all my RGB cables from this store and they have all worked perfectly.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

I picked up a sd2snes this weekend. Has anyone used a micro sd card with an adaptor or should I pick up a real sd card?

I use these for all my flashcarts, no problems with the adapter.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never really paid that much attention to the pal vs ntsc / 50 vs 60 Hz thing, aside from knowing about what territories have what, and how they're incompatible.

So, do PAL/50Hz games just run annoyingly slower than NTSC/60Hz?

Short answer: yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhESbeKFIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMXA7FpR_U

If you're a man of honor and kindness, you'll now feel much empathy towards us euro gamers.

There's also the matter of - freely translated - "sorrow borders" which appear on euro games, because PAL TV system resolution actually has more pixels than NTSC, thus filling the empty spaces with annoying colored borders - or sometimes empty black - on top and the bottom of the screen.

Some games were what you call "PAL optimized", but even that varies: for some games music is patched to run at correct speed but the game is still slower, and for some music is right but gameplay is faster! What a mess! All this we euro gamers had to deal with, and still do, if you're not into imports or modding your console.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 28, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Djarum posted:

Since I'll have my SD2SNES sometime today finally, what are the best MSU-1 games I should get?

I feel like Super Metroid and Link to the Past are the prime examples of how well the system can work.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I got completely burnt out with the game collecting aspect of this hobby. I sold my original games, but kept the consoles and bought flashcarts and started using backups for CD-based consoles. It kinda revitalized my gaming, since I have less time nowadays and I can just quickly pop something on when I want, without having to worry about paying hundreds of €'s and worry about condition. I feel like I started to take collecting games too much as collector items instead of .. games. I still want to sit on my sofa alone or with friends, in front of my PVM and play on original hardware using original controllers, but otherwise I think I found the right solution for myself. (that said, I might still pick up a few original games that are my absolute all-time favourites.)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my PVM will hold up. Maybe I should try to find a spare CRT? Gave my last one away to a friend after getting the current monitor. All this upscaler - be it Framemeister or the OSSC - talk seems just needlessly expensive and complicated compared to just hooking my stuff up to a good CRT/PVM.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is that a 25 inch PVM? I'm so jelly right now. Do you have to open it up to adjust the picture settings?

d0s posted:

find a nice consumer trinitron wega with component inputs from craigslist or a thrift store, not as good as a PVM but still way better than scaling on a LCD imo. use one of these guys to convert your RGB, there are cheaper models that cost like $50 but they are trash

This is euroland though. I don't really have the room for a big CRT TV in addition of my PVM and my regular Samsung HDTV anyway.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 20, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Only Shallow posted:

29". Lucky craigslist score back in 2013 :)

It has like four pages of on-screen menus so I've never had to open it

Well now even more so. Can't even imagine how much that thing must weigh.

A 25 (or even 29) PVM in working order is kinda like my holy grail, the pinnacle of my hardware collecting. Here in Finland even regular ones are on short supply and I fully realize I was lucky to get a good deal on my current one (20M4E) which was maintained over the years. But one can always dream.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't claim to be an expert, but I thought most PVM's on both sides of the pond would take both PAL and NTSC?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

jesus 800 seems high even for me, I don't think I've ever seen 800TVL irl and have no idea what it would look like (looking at photos of this stuff is next to useless imo, it's completely different in motion). 600 I have seen and it looks amazing, that's the look I wish I could get

My 20M4E is also 800 lines and I can add that "crisp as gently caress" is a pretty accurate description, and I would add that it's also vibrant as hell.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 21, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Monitor Burn posted:

I've since fixed the bloom and cleaned up the SNES's video signal, but taking good pictures of CRT screens is :effort:

When other people with digital SLR cameras say the same, I should just learn and stop taking PVM pics with my G4 (albeit it has a good camera for a phone, but) .. but I just want to try and capture the magic.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

falz posted:

My Turbo Duo stopped reading CD-R's about 15 minutes after deciding to spend the day playing Dracula X. It just went black, but before that the music track would play once in a level but not loop. I also tested a few other games Id burned months ago - Lord of Thunder, Ys 4, now they all just go black when you load. Fortunately it still plays real discs. Curious if anyone else encountered this? They're all the same type of media and burner so it's hard to adjust that variable.

I actually bought my Turbo Duo a little while back with a "faulty" CD drive that wouldn't read discs. My friend took a look at it and was able to fix it .. I'll try to write this in understandable english: he adjusted the screw inside the CD unit so that it wasn't as much on the .. outer rim? and instead closer to the inside, so it reads discs better. He said that playing CD-R's might cause it to tip more to the "outside" and might have to be adjusted again at some point. But I'm playing CD-R's on my Turbo Duo now mostly without incident.

Another option that people usually say is common with the Duo and CD games is that if the console is in the need of a recap, and it overheats (or something to this effect) and a symptom is that the music cuts out during gameplay. If your console is recapped, it might not be this.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

falz posted:

Interestingly it appears that when they get discs stamps they may give away a bunch of disc-only copies on http://freeturbodiscs.com/, but they're currently all out.

I requested and got a copy of Rockman for myself from PCE Works. Wouldn't mind a disc only copy of Rondo either.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

8x has been fine for my Saturn and PS1. I read that PC Engine is a bit more picky so I burnt some discs on 4x and they work fine, but 8x works too.

I use these kinds of discs which are unfortunately getting more and more hard to find.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I actually tried to warn people about Doujindance mods on a local gaming group (when people were saying stuff like "Doujindance is a guarantee for quality!") , but people mostly didn't care because they felt that "there's no need to re-open the system" and "what does it matter if it works fine". I'm not the most tech savvy person so I just dropped it there. Got my Duo now and it was modded by a local modder & checked by my friend and it's in good shape inside, but if I ever get an inkling for a Duo-R, I'll contact Monitor Burn for sure.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

oh my god yall

they should have sent a poet

This good

I so wish I had a good camera and could take good pics of the games I play on my PVM. Cellphone cam just doesn't do it justice.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Everdrive N8 handles expansion audio poorly even if you have an AV Famicom, and it's downright terribad for FDS games. I have a patched version of Gimmick and I still don't get all the expansion audio because N8 doesn't support all the necessary mappers.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Monitor Burn posted:

You can install unofficial mappers to get Sunsoft 5B and Konami VRC6 working on the Everdrive N8. Still no way to get VRC7 working unless you have a Hi-Def NES though:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3245.msg32176#msg32176
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3391.msg32231#msg32231

Oh, that's really cool, I gotta try that. So just replace the files on the N8 data folder with those ones?

e: Working Sunsoft mapper link on the last page

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 9, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been wrestling with myself this whole day whether or not to order a PEXHDCAP capture card and a sync strike. Been wanting to start live streaming for a while with my glorious RGB consoles but I'm just kinda wary, since I'm not the most tech savvy person and what if they just don't work.

(my setup will be Console -> scart switchbox -> scart 2-way splitter (1 end to PVM for me, 1 end to sync strike) -> sync strike -> VGA cable to capture card and audio from sync strike to my soundcard)

which I _think_ should work on paper.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

That sounds like it'll work if the card supports 15khz VGA which not everything does. It's not "pure RGB" but you could use a component transcoder running to the component in on the card.

I would think it does, since many have recommended this card for that kind of setup?

Sync strike should convert RGB to VGA which the card takes in.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

What the gently caress do I need to play a SNES and my sweet, sweet Star Fox 2 cart on my HDTV without spending, like, $200? Preferably without hooking six things up in-between the actual console and the television. The HD Retrovision looked to fill out that niche nicely.

I don't know what you want to hear, but if you are using composite, there's no way to make your SNES input not look like poo poo on a modern TV. These recommendations are not done out of "gotta have expensive stuff" attitude, it's mostly because they're tested and found to be the best solution for the problem.

Those 5 $ converters are cheap for a reason. I guess people have got some results from those scart to component adapters, but can't comment on that since I'm on the euro side myself, nor have I used the retrovision cables.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 11, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ballz posted:

I have a few recommendations!

Metroid - Rogue Dawn
Just came out about a week ago, and it's the most extensive hack of the original Metroid ever produced. New graphics, entirely new music (which is actually really good), a save feature, much larger world to explore, etc. It can get kind of NES Hard as you get further along, though, so it might not be for you (counterpoint: suck it up). I'm playing through it now, it's great.

I tried this and I gotta say I feel like it's meant for an advanced player. A semi-casual like me was completely lost and killed all the time even in the beginning (and I didn't even get far enough for it to get really hard?) I had no idea where to go, every area looked the same and all I could do was pick up a few missiles. I tried to look for bombs to no avail and felt like I had been everywhere I could. It didn't really feel like it rewards exploration in the sense that classic Metroids did, it's more of an exercise in frustration.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Dos posted:

I had the same issues early on. I think printing out the map and marking off dead ends with what item you'd need would probably help a lot. I stuck with it for a bit (you get high jump boots before bombs), and once you get an e-tank you become much less vulnerable. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother going back to it though. It's very difficult to tell where you should be going next or if you've completely explored a section.

Super Metroid does a nicer job of letting the player know they can't proceed down a branch early on, with Rogue Dawn it seems like you explore a dozen map tiles before being sure you're supposed to have the ice beam or something.

Can you point me to the right direction for the hi-jump boots (this is assuming I can get it with just missiles) using that map so I could at least try to work my way a bit further?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've always found that setting geometry is harder on flat screen CRT's but your mileage may vary.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Mentioned last page, but Kinda thinking of selling my SNES Everdrive and getting a SD2SNES. Would anyone buy the Super Everdrive I have if I made a SA Mart thread? It has the chip that adds DSPI support to it.

Or is it just worth it to keep the Super Everdrive. The rest of the chip game support and soundtrack support do sound nice through.

I've gotten plenty of use out of my SD2SNES. This topic comes up every once in a while so here are the added bonuses:

- Automatic region patching
- MSU-1 patch support
- Fast loading times, nice menu
- More game support (personally I dig Mega Man X2 and X3 chip support the most)

I totally understand going through with the process of thinking about what's the best bang for buck. But personally I got the most advanced models on all of the flashcarts I bought from Krikzz (SD2SNES, N8 Everdrive, Mega Everdrive X7) because if I'm gonna make a purchase I might as well get the best I can - all the little details and quality of life improvements add up for me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

What the link to the patcher for the high quality music for the SD2SNES?

The various patches along with readmes can be found at romhacking.net. Also there is a thread with compiled links to ready to use patch packs on emuparadise forums, just gotta register. Anything by Darkshock is good. Personally I like Super Metroid and LTTP patches the most.

When you get your SD2SNES and if/when trouble, shoot me a PM, I remember well stumbling my way across these things.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 27, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Got myself a Hori commander to go with my PC Engine Duo. Fits the color scheme perfectly, too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Not to mention the color balance and/or screen geometry will sometimes be off depending on what console you use. Just try to get a good set of "general" settings, you'll be much happier if you won't be OCD enough to tweak them whenever you switch consoles (or even games).

Earlier there was talk about component vs PVM screen quality. I used RGB scart on a CRT for a while before getting a PVM and you could still notice the difference very clearly. The PVM image is so vibrant and sharp it's crazy. However this doesn't mean that one NEEDS a PVM, I would say that a good consumer level CRT is a really good choice most of the time (although this is from the euro side where our consumer TV's had mostly RGB scart connections).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've had a few different CRT's, the best I had was actually a Thomson which bested a few Trinitrons I owned. They all had great picture quality but still not quite as good as a PVM. Different, though, and like d0s said someone might like that kind of image more.

• Locked thread