Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm playing the 3ds chibi robo game, and it's really good, but the real world products are jarring and the long in game descriptions are essentially commercials. Were the other games in the series like that?

Clearly someone's never played Pikmin 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm not saying physical releases are bad but I am saying that expecting any sort of actual physical release for a $15 indie game is expecting a lot.

Like, I know it's getting a collector's edition but a 1000 disk print run between 3 platforms isn't a good idea.

The collector's edition of Life is Strange had a physical disc in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

Am I the only sperg that's totally excited for the NES Mini and being able to play those games, despite having the entire NES library sitting in a 50 Mb folder of my hard drive and being able to play whatever whenever for over 15 years?

I preordered the NES Mini AND a second controller, and I am unreasonably excited for it to release :peanut:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I want to get a NES Mini for my kid but the controller cables really are too short for it to be practical.

Pretty sure you're on Highlander rules to get one for the forseeable future. Just remember to take the preorder-holder's head off in one clean slice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc Morbid posted:

PAL N64s don't do S-video for... some reason

Because it was cheaper that way :pseudo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wamdoodle posted:

I always like Master System cart chat because I can trot out this:

That's what Tonka wanted for the Master System covers, and by god they got it :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Anyone have a good source for console/handheld shells? I'm looking to re-case my DS Lite and my girlfriend's DSi and also maybe my Wii because they're all beat to poo poo. I'd prefer if somewhere had the painfully rare TWEWY shells but I'm flexible.

Try Retrogames.co.uk's Basement section. They have damaged stuff for cheap, and you might find a dead console or two to gut for the casing there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kid Fenris posted:

Everyone knows the best Final Fantasy is The Spirits Within because Roger Ebert liked it better than most video games.

Question: what's the silliest piece of video-game merchandise you've bought? Don't count stuff you got as free promotional trinkets; this would be something you specifically sought out and purchased.

I ask because I bought this and want to feel better about it.

Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel edition.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

ScummVM has updated, boasting support for Myst, the first couple entries of the very early Sierra Hi-Res Adventure series, and whatever the hell this is, along with a general switch over to SDL2.

UFO is an adventure game about an alien trying to fix his spaceship with parts stolen from rednecks, and his adoring Platypus buddy.

I'm not making that last part up. :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

S-Video is honestly probably good enough for most consoles, N64 even more so.

It wasn't good enough for PAL N64's :negative:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rirse posted:

Is the NES 'dogbone' controller worth getting? I am buying a rgb/multi-out NES 2 from Monitor Burn as it not much more then modding my NES...plus I always wanted to get a NES 2 again after having one as a kid. But I forgot it had a new style controller, which Monitorburn didn't have any.

They seem to go for 30 for real ones and 8 for knockoff.

Slight tangent, but now I kinda hope they make Dogbone controllers for the NES Mini.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miles McCloud posted:

Thanks for the all the Zelda advice! Just to give it a fair shake I think I'll give the first NES title an hour or so of playtime first, then unless it's really grabbed me move on. I'll start in earnest with Link's Awakening and then move onto Link to the Past, followed by the N64 games.

I really do like Mario and have played the heck out of the original Gameboy titles, which was the only Nintendo system I had growing up. I just never got around to playing the originals all the way through, something I plan to fix someday.

It's kind of funny, as my wife had the exact opposite childhood and played all the games I missed, while never even hearing of the titles I played on my Sega systems. It's an interesting byproduct of all the console exclusivity of the 80s and 90s, something that I don't think exists at the same level for kids growing up today.

Wait, you married someone who was a Sega kid in the 90's? You have disgraced the Retrogames thread and your honor as a Nintendo Warrior. Turn in your powerglove and leave the thread in disgrace! :colbert:

I actually recommend getting the 3DS versions of the N64 games, they're generally much better versions. Starfox too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't, but I could name a few tracks to get you started on making your own, should needs must:

How could you forget Diddy Kong Racing's Frosty Village? :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If any ausgoons are still wanting a NES Mini and missed the chance to preorder one, EB Games just got their website hosed out from under them by people trying to slam a preorder in for one. Keep an eye on their website, as apparently they'll be retrying to add it SoonTM.

edit: They're releasing them Friday 28th at noon on the website.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 26, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Personally I assume the Secret Tune got cut from being a course BGM track for being too goddamn catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfJpHta9NT0

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend some Playstation 1 games that only came out in Japan?

Slap-Happy Rhythm Busters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I think it was obvious that there'd be some Halloween sales so I thought I'd point out a few retrogames offered by Sony: Fatal Frame 1-3, Siren, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.

If you get one Fatal Frame game, the one to get is the second game. But they all have something in them worth playing and are super spooky.

The Wii version of Fatal Frame 2 is now available on the EU/AU WiiU eShop now, incidentally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

It begins

Jesus christ, Nintendo. People are going to die trying to get these things :stare:.

Drone posted:

Looks pretty skeevy but to be honest I love the fact that this exists. It gives me the warm fuzzies of nostalgia.

Edit: also it's pretty dumb that the new NES doesn't come with two controllers by default.

Have they hinted at a SNES Classic yet? I get the feeling that will far outperform the NES Classic.

I kinda think Nintendo really need to just make online-capable NES/SNES/N64 Classic Consoles and put the Virtual Console to bed for the moment. A single purpose-built platform means they can just knock the titles out on something built reasonably-specific for those games and not have to re-iterate them every generation. The Virtual Console service is a wonderful thing, especially on 3DS, but we're not exactly getting the same rush of games on WiiU that we got one the Wii's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

There is no reason for Advance Wars to be on the Wii U VC but not the 3DS.

Yes there is, GBA games run like poo poo on the 3DS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

If the PSP could emulate GBA pretty well then I'm positive Nintendo could work some magic on their own machine.

But nothing about their erratic release schedule makes me think they care enough to bother.

Functional emulation is not the same as acceptable quality emulation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Code Jockey posted:

loving Sony, the Vita was amazing and they just let it die. If they hadn't done the stupid loving proprietary memory thing, granted it would've possibly/maybe exposed them earlier to hacking, but maybe they would've sold enough to actually care about the console.

Also lol back touch pad

The Vita died because it turns out "hey it plays the exact same games as PS3, but portable with a $250+ buy-in" was a terrible business strategy to build a sales base on. Especially without any actual mainstream-market exclusives to prop it up past launch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

When Nintendo says they're supporting 3DS through 2018 they mean it - it's Japan's biggest hardware market and the audience there isn't desperate to move on like they are elsewhere, and there are still a lot of big games scheduled for the platform. They'll squeeze another year out of it without too much trouble and then they'll drop it like a rock.

That's about normal for any console, because even at the exact moment a company says their machine is going out of production there are probably like a dozen projects still a year away from release across various publishers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like once the mini nes comes out and those sweet wii compatible nes controllers hit the market, a modded wii will be back on top as far as nes emulation is concerned. Nes on the wii is super solid, not to mention SNES, Genesis, etc, and the component out looks great.

I guess I don't get spending $500 on an aluminum nes emulator when you can get one at GameStop for $65 that also plays wii and GameCube games.

But that's me :corsair:

Good luck if you didn't manage to preorder a second controller already, because those things are gone. Even the recent final batch of preorders were just for the console.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

The Wii hardware is completely incapable of HDMI or otherwise HD output and so is the 2ds (well, of HD anyway) so it's no surprise to me that the NES Classic uses a fully-custom board.

Anyway what happens if you plug a nunchuck into the NES Classic? Or a NES Classic into a Wiimote for Smash Bros?

In the former, probably nothing. In the latter, I'd wager it'd function like a Classic Controller with just the NES buttons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

d0s posted:

over here in my bunker it's still 1997, video games are good and so is the president. I will emerge in four years

You can't just sit there watching the demo screen, you'll have to go out to get quarters sometime :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Well the NES mini release in Australia was a shambles. Absurdly low level of stock compared to demand. I imagine it will be the same in the US.

Some of us were smart enough to see this coming a mile off and lock in a preorder six months ago.

Also good luck getting a second controller if you didn't preorder one, because those are just gone. There's no indiciation of them getting a restock either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I don't get with the NES Mini; If they're going to save a few bucks and not include a power supply (it uses USB) to minimize e-Waste or whatever, why the gently caress did Nintendo not just do the sane thing and use their goddamn 3DS power supplies instead? The ones readily available for about $15 Australian and used with most of the Nintendo handhelds for the past decade?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 10, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drone posted:

The worst thing about the NES Classic in my mind is the cord on the controllers is like a foot and a half long.

I ordered a pair of the third-party extension cables while EB Games have them on their website, because I seriously doubt those will stay in-stock for long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Discount Viscount posted:

Speaking of the NES Classic, currently debating whether to head to Target this morning and see if there's any competition for the 23 units that will be available, mostly because I have a gift card.

And whether I then want to engage in the frenzy on Amazon later.

It's silly, I own most of these games in some form, but not all, and a few of the choices could be better, but it'd be neat to get one today.

The Australian release at Big W and Target were apparently pretty brutal due to low stock. If you go, you should probably wear a stab vest or something.

Also, EB Games (AU) will have a second small December-released batch for preorder online on Monday. God help your souls and F5 keys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Light Gun Man posted:

What the hell is this even from?

It's a Metroid :ssh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireMrshlBill posted:

Where else will I hear about Truxton and EDF!EDF!EDF! ?

edit: Pat the NES Punk's annual NES marathon is finishing up today. Raising money for the Children's Miracle Network. I think AVGN is gonna show a video soon on the live stream for the marathon. I know not a lot of people like him, but the cause is good.

Also Desert Bus for Hope is just getting started, having entered its second day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kid Fenris posted:

I believe it's identical to the original PlayStation release, so yeah, all the bugs are in place.

For the PSN sale I recommend the first two Suikodens, the Mega Man Legends games, Vagrant Story, and Resident Evil 2. All pretty good.

You all have zero excuse for not getting at least Mega Man Legends 2. It's that drat good, especially for all of a few bucks, and deserves far more love :toughguy:.

Especially as we'll never ever get MML3 :cripes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Finally got extensions for the NES Classic and now I can blast mega mens in the comfort of my bed. :feelsgood:

also

Did you get the same controller extension cables I did that have a cable hook overhanging the second-player slot on the Mini?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Yeah. I just took an eyeglass screwdriver and removed them, then replaced the screws back in the connector, they work perfect.

Oh, wonderful! I was meaning to check on mine to make sure the screws themselves wouldn't interfere, so I'm gonna remove those covers tonight myself :peanut:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

For some bizarre reason, there's been a "speedrun" category started in which you get through Mario64 while pressing A as few times as possible. Some people took that to an absolutely ridiculous extreme and extensively documented all kinds of weird bugs in the game, which normally would be a cute oddity but do have elaborate applications to save an A press, or half an A press. That one cave-like Mario64 level has an elaborate, several hours long way to complete it in half an A press (as in you are already holding A when you enter the level, and let go at some point in the level).

The absolutely insane level of documentation put together regarding the semantics of what half an A press means and the nuances of the bugs and exploits used in the objective has turned it into something of a running gag online (the people in this thread are mock-taking it seriously and fake getting angry towards dissenters about it. At least I hope they are...)

You could've explained it faster if you'd gently feathered the Shift and Enter keys instead of hammering on them like some loving touch-typing tutorial amateur :rolleyes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Makes sense, seeing as they're a country that somehow thinks "Jezza" is a good and rational shortened form of Jeremy.

Excuse me, that's clearly Australian slang and I'll thank you not to use it without a minimum of three beers inside you. :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The best I've managed in recent years was a copy of Jet Set Radio Future for $2 at a Blockbuster. With a scratchless disc, no less.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I found a great new way to play Crazy Taxi. Apparently I've got a disk that got scuffed just right so that it loads, fires up the game, and then on the first map transition load (usually the bottom of the cable car hill) it stops loading textures for the city. That makes all the terrain invisible but traffic and passengers still appear fine. Since everyone knows the layout of the Crazy Taxi map, it adds an extra layer of challenge.

But does the sickass Offspring soundtrack still play properly? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shyduck posted:

Same exact thing happened when Pokemon Go launched. Red/Blue were going for 50-60 and Yellow 60-70. After a couple of weeks they went back to the 25-30 range again.

To be fair, Pokemon R/B/Y hitting the eShop probably helped a lot in driving the prices back down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DalaranJ posted:

Buy him the cheapest beer you can find. It has the same alcohol content so it must be just as good.

I mean, we're wine snobs. We're the equivalent of wine snobs.

The finest vintage is a 1996 Super Mario 64, sealed. Upon first whiff of torn plastic there is the scent of musty factory and aging game store shelf that will dance across the studied palate . Before letting it anywhere near a console, the package must be carefully opened and allowed to breathe for several minutes. Apply a gentle dab of alcohol across the contacts to ensure purity, before blending with a Pikachu Nintendo 64 (2000 Vintage) and serve.

This can be served on its own, or goes wonderfully with Funions and Crystal Pepsi for mouthfeel and subtle aftertaste.

• Locked thread