Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Bit of a random question, but does anyone have any idea how much Out Run (as in the arcade machine) would have cost to purchase on release? The normal upright version, rather than the sitdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

I can't find anything about the prices then, but probably a couple thousand dollars if it was like most.

Yeah, I can't find anything anywhere either. The closest I've got to an actual figure is £10,000 for the sitdown, but even that's not verified. Subtract the car body, feedback motor and bigger monitor and it's probably something like half that for the standard upright, maybe.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

It starts in 1982. I was born in `81. I'm old and irrelevant.

I'm even older and more irrelevant!

I spotted this on Wikipedia the other day, and if nothing else it proves that you're never too old or irrelevant to play videogames and learn something from them:

Spy Hunter wiki article posted:

In the Murder, She Wrote episode titled "Hit, Run and Homicide", Jessica realizes the solution to the episode's mystery while playing Spy Hunter in the Cabot Cove grocery store.

Hopefully the solution was "the murderer escaped by driving into a boathouse, thus immediately transforming his car into a boat and speeding off to freedom, leaving behind several mystified police officers on the road".

Fair play to her, though. You never saw Quincy getting one over on a gang of corrupt property developers by beating them at, say, Zaxxon.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Drone posted:

At that point, why not just spend 35 bucks on a Raspberry Pi? I mean, surely some of the appeal of the hobby of collecting retro games (not playing them) is that you have a collection that is genuine. Assuming you want to just play the games and don't really care about the collecting aspect of it, then a 138-in-1 or an emulation setup would be fine. If the goal is to actually collect them, a flashcart seems to defeat the purpose.

Well, software is just data, so it ultimately doesn't really matter where it comes from - as long as it's a copy of the original ROM or whatever then it will be identical to using the actual cartridge.

Running that data on the original hardware is the important part if you want authenticity. As soon as you bring an emulator into play (even though emulators are generally great), you will not be replicating the hardware perfectly and so potentially will get a different playing experience from the original hardware. And that's what people would prefer to avoid, I guess.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

I preordered a NES Mini Classic that should be arriving today, but the more I think about it (and the fact I have a soft-modded Wii for this kind of emulated thing anyway), the more I'm probably just going to flip it on Ebay.

Has anybody already got one, started using it and have any major unexpected revelations about it that we don't already know about?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

A Classic Controller, unless it's a NES or PC Engine game where I'll just use the Wiimote sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

d0s posted:

A500+ and A600 are easily spotted and can be avoided but even with those systems there shouldn't be much if any noticeable incompatibility

Have to disagree, I had an A500+ back in the day and the compatibility with games written specifically for the A500 was very hit or miss. Even better, Commodore said nothing about potential incompatibilities around the launch of the 500+ and there were no lists available of which games would work and which wouldn't, leading to much traipsing back and forth from game shops trying to explain to hapless staff why the game worked on their A500 but not my A500+ and could I swap it for something else please. The 600 is basically a 500+ with the numpad removed and a couple of extra hardware connectors added on so has the same issue.

The problem was fixed to a certain extent after the Relokick disk was released, which takes the 500+/600 back to 1.3 Kickstart, but I seem to remember that even then there were a few games which still wouldn't work.

• Locked thread