Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So there's not some secret website I need to go to that would have PS1 manuals in greater supply than eBay, right?

Pox on me for needing one for Einhander and one for Koudelka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Einhander is so, so good.

You can catch one of the ships as a monster in World of Final Fantasy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Dave posted:

I lost my Einhander disc ages ago :( I still have the empty box.

Would you happen to want to sell the manual?

Stupid pseudo rental copy I bought a long time ago just has the front page of a manual ripped out so I kept forgetting I didn't have a complete copy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Then there's the GBA port of DKC3 which has completely different music from the SNES version because it came to a decision between programming a new sound system to handle the music from the original game or compose completely new tracks and the latter was just faster to do to get the game out.

The original SNES game was mostly done by someone other than David Wise, but then the GBA version is completely his soundtrack.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I'm not sure if it exists anywhere but I always kind of wanted to read about Ninja Gaiden's dev history in detail, especially since the NES games are so good and the arcade game is uhhhhhhh...

It doesn't really go into port differences but they got three of the people on the game back for a retrospective thing a few years back.

http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan/Ninja-Gaiden-Nintendo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Huh, so apparently my local game store in bumfuck nowhere has some ties to Ancient Corp because they got gifted a Famicom Mini from them, and then also sent a promotional pixel art thing of the store owner's image to them. That's kind of cool.

I was wondering what the random facebook post from them months ago boosting Gotta Protectors was about considering how obscure that is.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

Does anybody remember Plok? Whatever happened to that guy? Did he ever find his flag?

http://www.zee-3.com/plok/index.php?comic=721

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

Hmm, a couple hundred bucks a few months later. That's just the kind of underachieving return I'd expect from someone who breaks into a store to steal a video game.

At least they stole something that doesn't have a serial number on it, like the dumbass who stole from one of the local stores I visit who broke into a store with a bunch of rare stuff and made off with an Xbox... 360. Who then posted it on local share groups and was caught in 6 hours thanks to the game store having a facebook page with a bunch of followers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Do you have to log into your account to get the tracking number? I haven't heard anything since the initial shipping confirmation.

You have to login, yeah. Mine starts with an RA.

But you can use the tracking number on both the Ukraine tracking website and USPS.com

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Speaking as someone who lucked into a GC component cable and tried it on his GBA games, it's really not worth it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I shouldn't be amazed that they could gently caress up the FPS of an NES game, but I am.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rirse posted:

Can the Gamecube use the S-Video adapter from the N64?

Yes. You can use it on an SNES even, since they all use the same connection.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

fishmech posted:

The PSP is very interesting for this. The last UMD release was World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 on November 14, 2013. But the last all new game for the system was StreetKix: Freestyle on January 7, 2014 (digital only). And the last new program, but which was just a localization, was Brandish: The Dark Revenant which was localized to English and released on January 13, 2015 but was again digital only.

You're forgetting Summon Night 5 on PSP, which got an english release date on December 2015 and had physical copies shipped out to people at the beginning of last year.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tyson Tomko posted:

I beat Adventure Island on the NES in one fell swoop today

:hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:

Little kid me (along with 33 year old me) is beyond proud of myself.

'grats, that game is absurdly difficult.

Finally played that at some point last year and for the first time in a long while had to leave the system on to beat it because I didn't want to restart from the beginning because gently caress Adventure Island.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Both those games are on Steam these days.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

Smuggling bricks of cocaine inside Super NES cartridges certainly sounds like an interesting strategy.

In the post cyberpocalypse future, drug dealers smuggle pure cyber cocaine in rom chips leading to customs needing a working Super Nintendo to test them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nah, Smartball was like a launch window game for the SNES, that other (super crappy) game came out in 95.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

What I don't get is the hate for DKC3.

Yeah, me either. I absolutely adore that game's summer camp aesthetic.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Apparently it was given to Rare's B-team so their best can work on N64 stuff. They should have at least kept Wise around :argh:

If you want DKC3 with David Wise music, play the GBA version.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Wait, he did that? What on earth happened?

E: Actually looks like he was involved in the SNES original's soundtrack too, along with Eveline Fischer. I just can't seem to find info on what tracks he actually did. I just assumed it wasn't him because it was just kind of uninspired compared to DKC2. Then again, Fischer did compose some really good tracks in DKC1 so it's not like she's bad or anything.

When it came time to port DKC3 to the GBA, they couldn't rely on the same process to convert the music from the original game like they did with DKC1 and 2, and it was going to take longer to make the conversion process work than it would for them to just make new music, so the decision was made to rescore DKC3 and David Wise did that. The soundtrack to the GBA version is completely different.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, but the music is... worse? It's not the kind of stellar quality I expect from David Wise. Aside from his Aquatic Ambiance remix the soundtrack is overall pretty bad. Chances are having to work with the GBA sound hardware (which was notoriously awful) is to blame.

Well that and the aforementioned crunch time.

I kind of agree, it's a lot more bubbly. I think that's true of Tropical Freeze though, too (though that one sounds fantastic and fits it's art style and also wasn't constrained by a GBA).

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 21, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also online listings for GBA games are rife with bootlegs so complete copies are presumably less likely to be fake and more desirable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It still has exclusive content, the areas in the Saturn version never made it anywhere else, and neither did the items they added.

Also the Maria playable in DXC is different than the Saturn version.

True nirvana is realizing that none of that matters because the Saturn exclusive stuff is all crap.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

gently caress, here I thought the Saturn version was identical to what I'd already played. Guess I've got to put another expensive game on my loving bucket list.

No, no you don't.

I mean even if you don't want to spend the money because it works with Pseudo Saturn, it's a bad version of that game. The bad load times and graphical effects, and literally the only positive change I can say about it is the Bat Wing Smash is infinite and the spear is okay, and the movement upgrade would be nice if it didn't require you to double tap to use.

Both the areas added are bad, and one even has bedsheet ghosts in it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It did get a Greatest Hits release but it had nothing to do with sales figures, apparently.

Yeah there were a few games at the end of the PS1's life where they just said gently caress it and reprinted the game anyway even though it never hit the sales target for it.

I think Final Fantasy Tactics was another one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They almost have to be actively printing them, because they go in and out of stock pretty much every time they have a sale.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I had no idea this was a feature of the PSP. I never did own one but I feel like this is something I would have read about at some point. Did they just expect people to rip their own ISOs and put them on a memory stick or what?

The native support was just buying a PS1 classic off of PSN and playing it that way. Eventually people reverse engineered those emulators and you could play whatever PS1 game you wanted as long as you ripped it and put it in a specific format for a hacked PSP to play.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think I've ever listened to other music in lieu of game music but I also didn't really know what genre of music I liked outside of "game soundtracks" until like a few years ago so I'm clearly weird in other ways.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The crazy bastard actually did it!

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/842030397261209600

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ninja Gaiden

Suikoden

uh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

The real real challenge is "Ryu".

If I say it wrong I'm talking about Breath of Fire.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Going down to the grocery store to get some Gradios. Comes with option marshmallows.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

By the time anyone was able to find me a PS2 as a gift, Onimusha had already come out, so I didn't ever really touch any of the launch games later as anything other than a curiosity.

I only tried The Bouncer for the first time like a few months ago.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is The Bouncer worth playing at all, out of curiosity?

It's kinda cool how it seamlessly cuts from cutscenes to gameplay but to answer your question it was made by the same developers as Ehrgeiz. It's quite sloppy as a beat em up and seemed to dole out experience for new moves really slowly. I was doing fine until I came to one encounter where I kept dying instantly and stopped playing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Seeing Ace Combat 4 in a Toys R Us demo was a transformative experience.

As much as I like being informed about what's coming out, I do miss the days when you'd just randomly find out about some cool rear end game out of nowhere.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I know, but I mean just like in kiosks or whatever from major publishers. There are too many games to ever say you're familiar with everything.

Like I found out about Parasite Eve when I saw someone playing it in a local game shop and went "what the hell is that?".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

shoulda bought the gb games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gamecube component doesn't even look that great, tbh.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's one of the best parts of the game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I never had a problem with Silent Hill or Resident Evil but poo poo like Giygas in Earthbound gave me actual nightmares for years and caused me to delete my end game save file at one point.

• Locked thread