Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Holy poo poo that's not even close! It sounds like they used the Genesis ROM by accident! How does not every soundtrack sound completely different?? :psyduck:

As someone who vaguely remembers the flaws of old emulators I feel like Capcom's sound fonts or whatever were a problem for a while. I remember being very bothered by the music in Demon's Crest and the doors in the MMX games in some ancient version of ZSNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Play the PSP version because it's gorgeous (but none of the sequel stuff that's on the same disc).

I like the DS version but it looks bad and does kind of assume you have some sort of familiarity with the game or the series with it's difficulty.

Don't bother with OG FF2 or 3, or at the very least, not the DS version of the latter. It's worse than the NES version.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As a little kid I thought FFAdventure was super long so when I got to the end of it I would just randomly load up my save file near the end of the game and beat it quickly in like 15 minutes to just replay it. That segment in Sword of Mana involves what I feel like hours of cutscenes before you can do the same and adds pretty much nothing of value.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's what SA-Mart is for, and due to thread history it's advised you post a big sale there.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nobody is missing out by not playing the Saturn port.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Designed is being a little kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also they completely changed how Grant works. In the US version he stabs with the knife in what is the worst melee attack in the Castlevania series, but the JP version his basic attack is just throwing free knife subweapons.

Edit: And they changed at least one checkpoint to be more brutal. In the Japanese version once you make it to Dracula you start right before his fight every time you die. In the US version if you die to Dracula you do the stage before him again.

• Locked thread