Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

With the amount of times I've had to deal with corruption on my 32GB Vita card, I'll stick with my GCW-Zero for my handheld emulation needs, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

fishmech posted:

Yes, your options for accurate bug-free N64 gameplay right now are either buy a flashcart for like $180, or buy a brand new top end computer to be able to run CEN64 or MAME's N64 driver at decent framerates.

CEN64 right now will do like Mario 64 and a couple other early games at full speed on just a 3 or 4 year old Intel CPU, but other games still require much better.

I really hope this Libretro project takes off well. It could end up being a capable enough middle ground to not require a loving Pentagon cluster for good N64 emulation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Chainclaw posted:

Looking it up again, the car in Diddy Kong Racing goes 90 if you are rapidly tapping the A button, and only 60 if you hold it down. I think the top speed of the airplane and hovercraft are also around 60. I don't know how you could even beat the big pig in the story mode without doing this.

I'm fairly sure I managed to beat the adventure mode in DKR without doing the tapping trick - it just involved a LOT of retries. And really, the big problem is Wizpig 2, which is in the plane, where the tapping won't help.

Unlocking T.T., now there's something that requires it.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 27, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress you half-press guy. Pressing down a button counts as a button press!

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, "pressing" by definition is the action of moving the button inward! Why can't you just accept that you've done something really cool as it is instead of trying to redefine it to be something else?

You know, it's just a notation for "if we only look at this particular star, it's one press, but if we look at a whole run, we can piggyback off of another press by holding A the entire time, so it doesn't add an extra press".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Shadow Hog posted:

Incidentally, YouTube sometime later started recommending me videos from his "UncommentatedPannen" channel, and they're actually pretty entertaining looks at all the silly glitches Mario 64 has in it.

Not quite as meme-tastic as the "Watch for Rolling Rocks" video is, but sometimes, just close analysis of a single dumb glitch is sufficient.

The uncommentated channel is also what to follow if you want the new stuff (i.E. new glitches) right off the bat, since the poor guy was completely overwhelmed by the success of the Watch For Rolling Rocks video and now only wants to put out commentated stuff if he puts the same amount of effort into it as he did with that, which isn't really happening. So the uncommentated channel is where all the activity is.

There's also a whole lot of stuff that isn't really related to glitches, but is interesting nonetheless. Did you ever want to watch a 15 minute video on how exactly HP works in Super Mario 64? Probably not, but there is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeGNpeFOOCY

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Social Dissonance posted:

If you're going to play this three tips:

Items are picked up in the middle slots, weapons in the bottom slot.

If a teammate falls off a board use "team" to pick them up.

"Pray" is a powerful attack and also a way to help if something bad is happening to you.

Very advanced mechanics for the game given that it's still an NES game.

Also, one thing that is useful is to make a habit of keeping everybody fairly close together and using Call to get the party together every time you're in combat. It makes sure you're at full strength and everybody gets experience.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Vintersorg posted:

Talking about Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt on the SNES?

I was obsessed with that game and eventually got really good... but gently caress did it take forever. Amazing music too!

No, Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt was the other Addams Family platformer on the SNES. The better one, too. I felt that controlling Pugsley in his game was more workable than controlling Gomez in The Addams Family, who has a bit of a problem slipping around and generally being kind of iffy to control given the speed he can reach (especially with the speed shoes powerup - jeez, just forget about not taking damage with those).

Both games were really tough, I thought, but Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt felt fairer to me. It was also a lot more creative with the levels, the graphics looked better (going with the cartoon style was a good move), the music was better (though The Addams Family had some good music too - well, both soundtracks were made by the same guy) - it just is an all around better game, I think.

Also, saying that Super Mario World was hard to control and then positing The Addams Family as a game that is easy to control is the kind of statement that just confuses me on a fundamental level.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

To me, TAS are more interesting than regular speedruns. What I'm interested in is answering the question "how quickly can you get to the end of the game by using nothing but what the game provides (except intentionally programmed codes)", and the more broken the game is in achieving that, the better. Arbitrary code execution, ludicrous luck and AI manipulation, frame perfect inputs at will, glitches that just straight up force the ending to appear, everything it takes to go faster. It's all about achieving the absolute limits of what is possible within the confines of the game as it is programmed.

So I can definitely get enjoyment from something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFNctqf6DmI

It's really just abusing luck manipulation in order to bankrupt the maximum amount of computer opponents in the shortest time in a game of Monopoly. But it's that perfect luck manipulation that makes it so interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Holy poo poo this orchestrated snes Sim City song is amazing

https://youtu.be/akL7ugUgRhg

Wish whoever did that did it with all the tracks

That's from the second Orchestral Game Music Concert, a series of game music concerts by different Japanese orchestras that were held in the 90s.

They only did one more SimCity track, this one. drat shame there weren't more, that soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Have a piano medley, too.

• Locked thread