Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, LGR is pretty great. One of the few times that looking at the videos YouTube suggested to me actually paid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SoR2 audio is so good it overcomes the limitations of anything it's played on
Well, except for that Dreamcast Sega Smash Pack that seems to interpret the YM2612 as just another square wave PSG.

...actually, maybe even then. Hmm.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That message, for those of us (like myself) who will never be that good at shinesparking chains

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

We really need a Smash Bros Game of all the weird original characters of the 90s. Bubsy, James Pond, Alfred Chicken, Aero the Acrobat, Ardy Lightfoot, Glover, uh Bug from Bug, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Awesome Possum, Punky Skunk, Rocky Rodent, Wild Woody, Titus Fox, Buck Bumble, final boss Gex, secret final boss Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.
Does Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III (from Clockwork Knight) fit in here somewhere

...or Croc

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

flyboi posted:

Worst opinion to date in the new thread.
Mmm, nah, even as a huge Sega fanboy, I have to concede the DPad for the stock three-button pad is pretty overly stiff. The six-button apparently uses similar internals to the Model 2 Saturn pad, and it definitely feels nicer. Smaller pad, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ah, this must be from that book series-gone-TV show I've heard so much about, A Throne of Games.

(Even though that was only the first book, and the series is actually called A Song of Fire 'n Ice)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Monopthalmus posted:

Which product is best for converting RGB SCART to Ypbpr?
Aside from the one d0s suggested, somebody on NeoGAF suggested this one, though I haven't tried it myself to vouch for it. Somebody in the prior SA thread went ahead and bought one, but I didn't hear back on their opinion of it. This unit does get bonus points for having the audio-out built into the unit, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ooh, that's pretty rough. Though, didn't know the Toro guys were making a SCART to component box - that oughta be interesting.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Shame you can't upload poo poo to the level servers with that version. Seems like a really bizarre handicap, regardless of their stated intention of making it more about local experiences.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Less awesome: Nintendo nuking 562 fangames in a single DMCA takedown.

Probably smarter to do them in large batches like this instead of individually, now you're not making recognizable martyrs. Still, even with the caveat that they're totally within their legal right to do so, :wtc:

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 1, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

At least Mario's Super Adventure lives on.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Actually, apparently projects hosted on GameJolt were receiving 30% of ad revenue for their project pages or something... in which case, if true, that's violating one of the tenets of the fangaming scene (ie: don't take money for your copyright-infringing product you morons), and makes me feel better about the situation in general.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

They're clearly cheesing it by using Japanese release dates - SMB3 in 1988 and Pokémon Gen 1 in 1996, for instance, instead of their Western release dates of 1990 and 1998, respectively.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As far as weekend games go, I played the demo for Dungeon Siege to completion three times over while I wait for the copy I ordered on eBay to get here (yeah, I could buy the Steam version, but that doesn't have the expansion, plus physical media is nice), mostly spurred on by repeated watchings of the episode of Ross's Game Dungeon covering the game making me curious.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also: I should just try Diablo already, it's not like I haven't owned copies of the first two games/expansions that I picked up from thrift stores for years now.

Like, yeah, sure, it doesn't have Dungeon Siege's eight-man wrecking crew, but still

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cloks posted:

"it is graphics"

Go back to journalism school, James Rolfe.
I sort of expect he was in school when he wrote that...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I guess I'm Sega system then

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'm gonna be 64 bits with big tits, "Nude Raider" instead of "Tomb Raider", and with cusses and blood out your loving rear end. I'm gonna be the 64 bit console your mama warned you about and your daddy secretly wants to get down with.
So the Jaguar, then

Yes I know Tomb Raider never came out on the Jaguar shut up

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I suppose I should ask him where he learned to fly...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm nitpicking, I suppose, but the KS page makes it clear it's a DOS game throwback (Apogee, specifically), not Amiga.

Granted, nothing about that trailer makes me think "DOS", but it's what they're trying to go for, anyway.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I bring this up every time people mention pushing the envelope but holy poo poo have you people seen Jungle Book for GBC:

Disney's GBC stuff was really impressive. Alice in Wonderland is also very impressive looking, and so is Toy Story Racer, even though Toy Story Racer was made by Tiertex, one of the legitimate claimants to the "worst videogame programmer/publisher ever" throne.
I feel like GBC is an under-examined aesthetic, all told. It's sort of like the NES, except where that had four BG palettes of four colors each (three unique, one shared between all four) and four sprite palettes of three colors each (technically four, but the fourth is always transparent), the GBC has eight of each. The NES can only pick from a set of ~50 predefined colors (which don't even have set RGB values), GBC you can set them to any 15-bit RGB color you want. NES BG palettes are done on a 16x16 grid, despite graphics being on an 8x8 grid; GBC does away with that and lets you set the palettes on an 8x8 grid as well. Pretty sure GBC also has a mode that lets you say "to hell with this" and display images that show off more colors than those 16 palettes should reasonably accomodate, but it only works for still images; I don't know the specifics behind it; I think it involves swapping the palettes every scanline or something? (I suppose that's less a "mode" and more programming wizardry as a result, but still, it looks pretty.)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 8, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dr. Dos posted:

Crossposting from the PC thread: A beta version of Warcraft Adventures has been released

https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/774650979618807808
Did anyone nab the links from the post in the first URL there? I already nabbed the second one last night, but the links in the post for the first URL were up when I first saw them on my phone, then were edited out when I got on my desktop to actually DL them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't immediately port the entire virtual boy catalog to 3ds.
I've been wondering this, too.

At least port Virtual Boy Wario Land, criminy

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As I recall, SSF doesn't directly support disc images, either, but it's Japanese so I just assumed it's how their emulation scene works.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wizgot posted:

I had a friend tell me Metal Slug was a better game than Super Mario World. He even had the balls to say they were both platformers.
I have a friend who swears up and down that Mega Man and Castlevania are not platformers.

Instead he ascribes them to the (even more) nebulous genre of "action" (if not run-and-gun, in Mega Man's case).

I don't know.

I also don't know why I would consider Mega Man a platformer, but not Contra. You do platforming in both! It does feel like there's more focus on it in Mega Man's case, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ridge Racer on the Vita let you use the Hornet from Daytona USA, so that's automatically the best one in the series.

Even though it's also a shell of a game that you have to buy tons of DLC for to make into a proper release, which automatically makes it the worst one in the series.

And also, it's on the Vita, which means nobody will ever play it anyway.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Genesis Aladdin > SNES Aladdin, but they're both good and it annoys me that people make it out like you can only like one of them

I can't really comment on Master System/Game Gear Aladdin, though, couldn't quite figure out where to go in the second level. Seems like an okay Prince of Persia clone, I guess.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

this side out of what??
The console? Official cartridges have that too...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe is a pretty decent port of SMB1 with The Lost Levels included as a bonus (well, Worlds 1-8, anyway), and some extra modes besides (like "Vs. Boo" races or a Challenge Mode where you have to locate five red coins and a Yoshi egg).

Metal Gear Solid (aka Ghost Babel) is a pretty decent little adaptation of the PS1 game's gameplay (or maybe the second MSX game's?) to the Game Boy Color. Haven't bought this one yet myself, but want to.

Get the Wario Lands. Just do it. Both of them. Fun little puzzle platformers. You can't die in them, so it becomes more of a matter of finding the way forward with your various transformation abilities. 3 is more of a Metroidvania than 2 (you start out weak and get stronger as the game goes on).

Pretty much every Zelda on GBC is a good one. Heck, I'm still partial to the DX version of Link's Awakening...

Random Stranger posted:

Gambit: worst X-Man gets the worst X-Men stage.
And yet gets the best music.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Maybe you can still source a Retrode, somehow

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The one I kinda wanna get is the StarTech USB3HDCAP - which is a USB 3.0 dongle variant of Micomsoft's capture cards (in fact, you'll wanna use Micomsoft drivers instead of StarTech's, from what I've gathered), and supports 240p over component (I mean, of course it does, Micomsoft's the XRGB guys), meaning you can play PS1 games on your PS2 within a window on your PC, too.

For me, though, I'd probably want a laptop with a USB 3.0 port to use it with, since my work laptop doesn't have such a port, and my desktop (which does, though I think Windows 10 disabled the add-on card that let me add them) is in a separate room from my old consoles, and moving consoles back/forth sounds like a pain.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yes.

Some other games.

Like Pulseman.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

So here's an interesting thing that will come out next year:
Said it elsewhere, so I'll say it here: it's still digital-only, so this package pretty much worthless to me. I can already get a digital copy of the game, and for much cheaper than that, so the price difference is just for a bunch of Sonic-related tchotchkes that I don't have much use for.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

You say this like it isn't true of every collector's edition? That's kinda the point.
Those collector's editions had physical games to go with them, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

For a lot of games? Not really, in recent years.
Well that's a waste. Twenty years on, servers have long since been pulled, you can't buy the games anymore - but hey, you can still buy the useless tat we trotted out instead of a proper physical release you can use later down the line!

Really, that's what I'm angry about; not the price difference being solely for the tat - that's just standard collector's edition fluff - but rather that they had an opportunity to offer a physical version so that problem could be averted in the long-term, but decided "nah, our physical release won't have a physical copy of the game, sorry".

This poo poo's already basically completely ruined the physical PC market (everything's a one-time code that's permanently tied to a Steam account now, so why are you even bothering putting out a box again?), and it annoys me to see it creeping to other markets as well - especially given the gaming industry has serious problems with making sure you can play old games on modern hardware, as Red Eye illustrated with his Uncle Buck analogy. Maybe if they got better about that last bit, I'd care less.

Plus, I dunno, the standard collector's edition fluff just feels sillier when the game isn't available physically at all.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mmm, true. With PCs, that's less of an issue since you can always separately download patches for older games and be good, but I don't believe consoles have ever offered a similar kind of system - either you've downloaded the patch from the official server, or you're hosed.

Kinda feels like the 360 and PS3 tried to make console gaming more PC-like, without thinking of how to keep that system working after the relevancy has faded like PCs generally do.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am in 100% agreement with this and it's why I have zero guilt when I mod my 360 and PS3. But can you explain what TheRedEye's "Uncle Buck" analogy is? I'd love to read it but I am not sure what you are referring to. Thanks!
It was at his GDC presentation this year, where he compared availability of original versions of video games (as opposed to ports and remasters) to availability of original versions of films; starts about here.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Funny, I just started using RetroArch myself since it seemed like the sanest way to try and interface with Mednafen, try and experiment with its PS1 and Saturn cores. Even took the time to download all the PS1 Classics I'd bought offa PSN onto my computer (by way of my PSP) to mess with it, since it supports those EBOOT.PBP files.

Technically, so does ePSXe, but my attempt at getting that to read them gave me naught but black screens.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean... it's a Treasure game.

And was probably specifically a licensed game because they needed funds for Gunstar Heroes et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've never played FFVIII (despite owning it on Steam), but I have played the card game (Triple Triad) by virtue of its inclusion in FFXIV and it's pretty fun, yeah.

• Locked thread