Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Hopefully the PS2 is considered "retro" enough for this thread! I looked and couldn't find any other threads related to it.

I'm looking for a recommended capture card for the PS2, either the composite or component cables; doesn't matter to me, I have both. I'm not interested in really recording video or anything, but I am interested in playing the PS2 on my PC in a window, as if it were any other program, and I'm under the impression that capture cards are the way to do that. There's a lot of options, and I can't tell what's crap because I have zero experience with this, so I figured I'd check and see if anyone had any suggestions.

I know that emulators are kinda the perfect thing for this, but I'm nothing if not nostalgic and would vastly prefer to play on the PS2 proper.

I also know that dongles like this exist which convert the PS2 straight to HDMI, but that would obviously take up the whole monitor and not allow me to use my PC on it, but that's what I'll just have to live with if I can't find a better option. Still a lot better than dragging around an old, heavy rear end TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

I haven't used capture cards in a long time, so they may have improved, but I remember them adding an amount of lag that would make playing non-chess games unbearable.

Yeah, that's what I read too; part of the reason why I was asking. I mostly play a lot of JRPGs so I guess input lag wouldn't hurt too badly, but on the occasion I play platformers or shooters too so that would be maddening.

Shadow Hog posted:

The one I kinda wanna get is the StarTech USB3HDCAP - which is a USB 3.0 dongle variant of Micomsoft's capture cards (in fact, you'll wanna use Micomsoft drivers instead of StarTech's, from what I've gathered), and supports 240p over component (I mean, of course it does, Micomsoft's the XRGB guys), meaning you can play PS1 games on your PS2 within a window on your PC, too.

:aaaaa:

Way out of my price range, oops. For that price I could just buy the component -> HDMI dongle and a separate monitor and still save money. Which, actually, probably isn't a bad idea now that I think about it.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, pretty much. I don't care about recording; I just want to be able to use my PC while I play PS2, without sacrificing one of my three monitors to the console or having a huge, old TV in my bedroom. Huge first world problem, I recognize.

Unless there's an option I missed (or this is a really bad idea for a reason I don't understand), at this point I think I'm just going to wait for payday, grab one one of the cheapo $80 monitors on Amazon and then this dongle and just have a dedicated monitor for my PS2.

Edit: Oops that upscaler won't work, I'd be piping HDMI audio to a monitor with no speakers and would have no audio. Fixed link to something that (I think) would work.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 29, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I've checked thrift stores in my city for games before, no dice on TVs either. There are two Goodwills near me that don't have a single television in them, and the Salvation Army had three CRT tvs, and were asking $50, with no testing them before I buy, as-is no refunds. And then I'm stuck with a TV that I'll likely never use for anything else; at least with a PC monitor, I can use it for, well, anything.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I guess that's a good point. This guy is on Amazon with Prime, and has HDMI/Composite/Component, for about the same price as me buying a monitor/scaler.

I'll probably just go with that. Thanks!

• Locked thread