Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fatcat214 posted:

Is the model 1 Genesis usually a fickle bitch when it comes to reading games, or is it just my console?

My model 1 and my 32x never complain about carts, but all my carts are clean and the pins are clean in the 32x (and game genie, and sonic and knuckles), there were a lot of things that you could plug a Genesis cart into

That actually boots and runs fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

32x owns for arcade ports. I also played the poo poo out of doom on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

No hole drilling needed. There is already a hole there; just poke a tiny screwdriver through the back label. I guess Nintendo wanted to be able to adjust the pot with the screen on as well. I remember this because back in 2001 everyone on the internet thought they discovered a hidden secret to making the screen brighter.

Is that pot on the gba sp 101 as well?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rig up a PC power supply?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rirse posted:

Played Streets of Rage 2 for the entirely last night on the VA7 Model Genesis I bought. I am honestly not hearing the suppose horrible sound, and SoR2 has some of the best music on the Genesis. Granted I am playing on a mono tv, so I imagine if it does have issues with sound it would be the stereo side.

SoR2 audio is so good it overcomes the limitations of anything it's played on

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oops I accidentally typed 50 instead of 100 multiple times, through multiple prompts, and then didn't edit it for however long, and now I want 2x the cost once I realized the value

I'd tell him to get hosed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

N64 Mario golf for life

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just use ps4 controllers people, they are nice and the d-pads are good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The dark backstory to cruisin USA that you never knew before: http://www.clickhole.com/video/heartwrenching-video-game-shows-what-its-be-immigr-4785

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lets all just play old video games and not get snobby about it? :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I AM THE TOILET posted:

You guys realize the next logical step is for people to "rescue" repros and convert them back to the games they originally once were, right? Big long overproduced maudlin YouTube videos.

Or or or! Some guy does the Michael Moore thing and videotapes himself confronting one of these store clerks for selling a StarFox 2 repro.

"Oh wow, StarFox 2; I didn't know they actually came out with this. I didn't know that it was actually released. *picks it up* Wow, an official Nintendo release. Right? This is official?" *waggles it @ clerk*

skip ahead 3 minutes

"Do you have the right to sell this, sir? Did Nintendo give you permission to sell StarFox 2? Actually, I don't have to leave. I don't. This is being recorded. Get me the manager, please"

and so on

Lol if you don't do this already.

I also take rare carts and put madden roms in them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doc Morbid posted:

I don't actually own a copy of Super Mario World. :eng99: I know, that's pretty shameful but I don't feel like paying 30 bucks or whatever it costs on ebay these days. (okay well it's generally not quite that expensive yet but still)

I played some Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country instead.

Please buy the super Mario world + All Stars cart, justify the price and have it all

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More like no one listens to ICP

But my non-lovely answer is that those do sound very similar if not the exact same

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

al-azad posted:

Wasn't there a browser based NES emulator in 3D with games built in? Is that still up?

What? I would love to see this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

I want a new, hd, 2d focused console.

Rather than that, devs should just make good 2d games for current consoles.

I have really only loved one 2d game this generation, and that is BROFORCE on the PS4, which owns and you all should play it despite its terrible name

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

Get a Dreamcast and two keyboards for two-player Typing of the Dead

Extremely this. TOTD is awesome and absolutely worth owning both a dreamcast and a dreamcast keyboard for

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ofecks posted:

Whaaaa? That's really disappointing.

I mean, when you think about it, the wii-u doesn't support N64 carts, and the Xbox one doesn't play Windows 98 games, that's the same level of generational jump

Much of the psx capital lectionaries is up for psp and Vita though if that's your thing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

I wonder if the MAME project is working on emulating the old Virtuality arcade games for use with modern VR systems

e: apparently people are doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFP5OmKxVM

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't immediately port the entire virtual boy catalog to 3ds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Clearly the concept was sound, the 3ds is popular and is essentially a very advanced version of what the VB was trying to do

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nesticle owned and it has been all downhill since

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It works like poo poo in the devices where you need it to work well the most, I.e. 3ds and vita. There are no other options besides retro arch on them for many consoles.

If a dev reads this, please unfuck retroarch on the 3ds and vita please

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I joined the ranks of retrogamers who have desecrated their SNES to play Japanese carts. I was faced with buying SF2Turbo in US form, or JP form, and the cost was half as much in JP form so I went for it. Delightfully, my cart even includes some sharpie scrawl from glorious nippon

Anyone know what it says? I'm assuming its someones name, but who knows

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Minidust posted:

Seems I'll be getting a hand-me-down DLP television from my uncle. I don't really know much about these. Would the video lag any better than a flat-planel plasma? I'm just assuming it's worse than an standard CRT. It has that tube television fatness to the back, but it's way less heavy, I was confused when I picked it up and it ended up being so light.

FWIW it's a Samsung model HLS5087WX/XAA , but I wasn't able to find anything online about it. It has component and "PC" inputs, so I figure it might make a good home for my GameCube, PS2, and Dreamcast at least. S-Video and HDMI as well, though I'll be keeping modern consoles on my existing setup.

The light weight comes from the fact that the entire tv is basically a dlp projector shooting onto the screen. That's all they are and why they are so light. The entire tv is essentially blank space, with the projector unit on the bottom shooting up onto the screen at an angle (hence the depth of the unit)

I had one of these models. I also have some bad news.

The video lag was just ok. Playable for sure, but not the best. The worst part of it though was that the internal scaler was total poo poo. The tv can only display 720p, and will internally scale SD content up, and 1080 content down. It will smear and muddy SD content like no ones business. It really only does well with HD content over hdmi, so if you're using an external scaler that can output HDMI at 720 or 1080, then you're probably OK. Otherwise, it's pretty sub optimal.

Also, if it has any white pixels showing on screen, then the DLP chip is on its way out. This is a known failure point with them. If it's not showing them, then you either got lucky or the chip was replaced. If there are white spots, the chip will eventually die.

Mine also went out of focus after a while, and I never looked into focusing it, but I think that comes from moving it around, so be gentle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 31, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, the 3ds is effectively dead when the switch hits market. Nintendo always hedges their bets. See also: GBA and DS coexistence, and the fact that the n64 was a standard dpad controller with a joystick added on

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like once the mini nes comes out and those sweet wii compatible nes controllers hit the market, a modded wii will be back on top as far as nes emulation is concerned. Nes on the wii is super solid, not to mention SNES, Genesis, etc, and the component out looks great.

I guess I don't get spending $500 on an aluminum nes emulator when you can get one at GameStop for $65 that also plays wii and GameCube games.

But that's me :corsair:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 2, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not VC, emulated on a softmodded wii. They look like they should when you do that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Won't famicom games work in an nes when put thru a game genie? Or am I misremembering that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, hitting start without entering a code will just play the game as normal iirc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

Well drat. I hear Component is good too but RGB is supposed to be the absolute best I think?

For RGB you need to be more worried about the consoles, since almost all of them require modding to output RGB, and some of them (NES) can't even do it.

Also, if you are in the US, that TV definitely doesn't have RGB, it has component. As mentioned, RGB inputs weren't really a thing here except for on broadcast-grade gear.

Honestly I would concern myself with the consoles first and decide on the best tv afterwards.

Maybe start by telling us which consoles you want to play and we can tell you the best way to get them to look good on a budget.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retroarch is poo poo on all platforms and in general

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retroarch is especially bad on devices that don't have any other emulators ported, like the vita. At least on android and windows and such you have other options.

It's like as soon as a device gets unlocked, some idiot shoddily ports retroarch to it and then everyone gives up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who just bought an SNES a year ago, gently caress the game prices. I just bought the JP version of SF2T because it was 50% cheaper than the us one.

That basic everdrive is the price of maybe two big name SNES games, it's almost a no brainer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What. Please link to that. That is beyond cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao at the crt flipped sideways, that's dedication

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What are some good shmups on the dreamcast that aren't bullet hell memorization fests? Basically I'm looking for a game like Sky Force/SF Reloaded on the Dreamcast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nes games and specifically 16bit sonic games, I use a sideways wiimote

Everything else I use a wii classic controller.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don't boil the connectors, clean them and bend the pins out with a pick.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So uh, I don't know how many of you like Classic Game Room, but jesus that channel has suddenly gone to poo poo.

e: to clarify, I guess Mark has been going through some financial trouble or something, because he's been gating his full reviews behind Patreon, and on Youtube either only uploading small previews or deliberately making it look as garbage as possible. :smith:

:smith: that's unfortunate, I like that show and mark seems like a cool dude. Hopefully he can turn whatever this is around and right the intergalactic space arcade.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It had me at three part process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheMcD posted:

The uncommentated channel is also what to follow if you want the new stuff (i.E. new glitches) right off the bat, since the poor guy was completely overwhelmed by the success of the Watch For Rolling Rocks video and now only wants to put out commentated stuff if he puts the same amount of effort into it as he did with that, which isn't really happening. So the uncommentated channel is where all the activity is.

There's also a whole lot of stuff that isn't really related to glitches, but is interesting nonetheless. Did you ever want to watch a 15 minute video on how exactly HP works in Super Mario 64? Probably not, but there is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeGNpeFOOCY

This man is truly the ulillillia of Mario 64

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 24, 2016

• Locked thread