Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are the Robert Broglia emulators still the best bet on android? Or has something overtaken them?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

While we're on emulator chat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are the Robert Broglia emulators still the best bet on android? Or has something overtaken them?

Anyone?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol @ the Wii U being current gen and retro simultaneously.

I still love my dead gay console though :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only PS3 games that are coming out in recent months are riding project inertia and didn't make the jump to PS4 instead for whatever reason, they're not newly-planned things. It's a dead machine :rip:.

I love the WiiU, and it would've been the perfect retro box if they'd gotten Gamecube games working on it (VC or discs) without user hacks.

I feel like the Wii U will be remembered like the GameCube. A good, solid system that didn't light the world on fire like its predecessors did.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please understand that if you don't own San Francisco Rush on N64, you are missing the best 3rd party racing game on the system.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Yeah like Virtual Console selection still loving sucks and there's no excuse after like 11 years of it.

Plus we're at the point where the web browser on the Xbox One can run HTML5 based emulators at full speed, it's crazy. (This also works on PS4's browser too I think, but I don't have one to test with). No need to even hack poo poo, it's just right there online. This won't let you run like N64 games or newer but it's still nice.

What? Liiiiiink please

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

https://nesbox.itch.io/x1

This is the main one. It's optimized for the controller and can load ROMs from your OneDrive storage.

It does NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. However GBA and some SNES games have speed issues. There's also a bunch of other random HTML5/javascript based emulators out there, but this is by far the best on the Xbox One.

(There was a javascript Game Boy emulator up for a while that ran fine on the Xbox 360's browser, but it seems to have been taken down)

Nice, is this the same one for PS4 or is there a different one for that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I inherited a PS1 today. I'm not super interested in collecting for it, since I never had one when they were current-gen, but there are a few games I'd like to play.

Is a modchip the only way to get a PS1 to read CD-R's or is there some other way in these modern times?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat, do the make those for the 9001 models? That's what I have and there is no wide serial port on it, just the small one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UnhandledException posted:

There was an "import" boot CD out there called Breaker Pro that works on the original PS2 (for PS1 games), 9xxx, and PS One models. It even came with all the tools needed for each of those consoles to trick the CD drives.

I'll check that out.

Uhhhhh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

al-azad posted:

It's pretty easy to hack the PS2 once you get the equipment. I found a network adapter discarded behind Gamestop and then $30-ish worth of stuff and I was running. This method only works for the fat model

You'll need a PS2 network adapter of course
SD to 2.5" IDE adapter
2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter IMPORTANT you specifically want this one or one where the power cable terminates parallel with the connector. The first one I bought had it perpendicular and there's zero clearance on the PS2 network adapter so you can't actually connect the cable.
Copy of Swap Magic for PS2. This is the most expensive component but it's worth it
Free mcboot to crack the software. I can't be bothered to elaborate on this but a quick Google search of "free mcboot" brings up the instructions and links in the very first hit. You'll also need special formatting software for copying over games to your "hard drive" (read: sd card) but it's all easily located.

It took me a rainy Saturday to set everything up but now I never stick a disc in my PS2.

I do have a copy of HD Loader, and I have a network adapter and hard drive already set up. Can I install freemcboot through hd loader?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

xamphear posted:

My guess is that thing isn't even a modded 2600. It's a 2600 that someone hot glued something like a rPi into, tied into the power and controller ports, and added an HDMI extender to the rear of the case. The 2600 mobo is probably doing nothing, likely not even getting power. The games might probably connect into the rPi via the 2600's actual socket, and likely just use 2 or 3 pins as a simple set of switches to tell the rPi which game to load.

Not saying it's not cute or cool, just that it's really unlikely that someone performed an HDMI mod on a 2600 and then coded actual 2600 games to run on it. All for some fast food marketing gimmick that they only sent to a few places.

Of course that's what's going on, dennys didn't contract out someone to reinvent the wheel and make the 2600 spit out hdmi

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Headhunter was cool because it was one of those "wow I can't believe the dreamcast can do this" moments for me. It was also a "Wow I can't believe they built this amazing framework and forgot to make the game fun" moment

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I hate the MGS series and I can firmly say that Winback and Headhunter were not for me. :v:

Same, not a fan of any of them. I can see why people like them, I just don't.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Am I reading that right, it's only 710 yen? That can't be right.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What's the opinion on the DC-SD these days? I see they're like $15 and I'm afraid my drive is dying in my current dreamcast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

At what age does finding somebody's video games go from "oh, here are his video games" to "I wonder why he had this"

I think it's less the age of the person and more the era they grew up in. For 80's kids and later, when their grandchildren find their NES in 2090, it will be probably pretty normal.

MESSAGE FOR MY FUTURE GRANDCHILDREN: Don't touch my NES. Bury me with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SwissCM posted:

I've always found Kawasaki Superbike Challenge to be pretty impressive, it's polygonal without any additional hardware (though with some cheating, the road is parallax) and it even has split screen.

The later Disney games like Pocahontas and Pinocchio look great, though aren't that amazing to play.

An oft overlooked game is one of the last ones released on the system, Jurassic Park The Lost World. It's quite a bit of fun with two players and makes good use of shadow/highlight effects in order to squeeze as much colour from the system as possible.

I looked up Kawasaki superbike challenge and it even seems to run at a decent framerate, which is doubly impressive

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm headed to Phoenix in a couple weeks. Any good gaming stops I should make while I'm there?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You know a better way to pay off the bill for a boob job?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Picked one of these up today at goodwill for a couple bucks: http://thefamicloneshelf.blogspot.com/2014/06/power-player-super-joy-3-super-joystick.html?m=1

It's so fabulously lovely, but I couldn't pass on the chance to own the FBI's most wanted famiclone that someone did real jail time for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is me all fuckin day

https://twitter.com/DNOpls/status/617620714795986944

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kelp Plankton posted:

I've been thinking about picking up a Genesis and digging into stuff outside of the things I played at my friends' houses as a kid. Didn't have one myself so my exposure to the system's pretty limited, just kind of the Sonic stuff and a few of the more well-known things that got ported to consoles and PC later on in collections.

Is there a specific model of Genesis I should be trying to grab or does it matter a whole lot for someone who's just wanting to get into it kind of casually?

Ideal world? A CDX and a 32x so you can experience everything the console has to offer, as well as get the better video out from the 32x.

Other than that, I have the OG non-"high definition" graphics model and a 32x and it works well enough, and I don't know the various board revisions that well.

Bare in mind that none of the models did s-video natively so you either have to deal with composite or mod a 32x for s-video. Or go whole hog RGB

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wamdoodle posted:

Also, I believe that was the only way to play portable Doom at the time. The Android port of Doom supports controllers and if you have a Nvidia Shield Portable, then it's pretty good. It even will run a good portion of mods but nothing too new though.

What is the good android port of doom? All the ones I've found suck or have major deficiencies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

I've actually never heard of this game, The Mexican Runner, nor NESmania before now but I'm absolutely delighted that someone learned the piano as a consequence of playing through every NES game. I would never have expected it.

I have the miracle piano complete with Nintendo logos and all but not the cable or the game cart. I hook it up via midi to my computer to dick around in fl studio sometimes but I've never actually played the miracle keyboard game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah they work for sure on Win7 x64, which you should be running anyway :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the cheap option for buying NES/SNES/n64/Genesis game cases in bulk? Ideally I'd like one case that can do all 4. I inherited a nice color laser printer from work and it's time to hit up the cover project and stop letting my carts rattle around in a drawer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

falz posted:

I've heard that a lot of people use these:

http://www.mediashelving.com/store/universal-slim-combo-game-full-sleeve

I have no experience with them but I think one type of game (nes?) Doesn't fit quite right or something.

Nice, thanks! I might get these and deal with cutting tabs since the other ones appear to be in a pre-order status, and I can't really complain for $0.69 per case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You know what I don't care about? Talking about acid police

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For me its Goldeneye and SF Rush on the N64 soundtracked by Outkasts ATLiens and Stankonia. I tend not to replace game soundtracks with my own unless its a game I've played so much that I need something else to listen to, which was the case for both of those games

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also if you were into drum n bass in the 90's the Destriction Derby soundtrack was pretty drat good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember slowly writing roms to a parallel port Zip disk. Holy poo poo 100mb of portable roms was mind blowing back then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GutBomb posted:

All of the Keith Courage talk prompted me to play it as I've never played it before and just got a duo R and an everdrive for it. It's pretty cool. As a bonus now I know what game the Frank intro in Pat's flea market madness videos comes from.

Here's my setup. I just need a dreamcast and the collection of consoles that are nostalgic for me is complete. (I never played a Saturn or an N64 so that's why I don't have those, and I have a PS3 with backwards compatibility in the living room on the HDTV.)

Peepin dat 32x-cd combo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

from arcade version:

OH! BIG

Vigilante on TG16 was my first beatemup. A long time later I got a toploader NES when they were being blown out at toys r us and when I rented Kung Fu I was like "oh snap"

I feel like this was a thing in 90's beat em ups

It's like boo! and Do Base Ball! Are forever burned in my mind

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ahn-ih-maye

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you use the pc->gameshark connection to upload saves on N64? There are a couple games I want to get 100% saves for

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

I believe you can do it with GSCC XP. GSCC XP also allows you to copy saves to and from the Controller Pak for sure (though it's a little unreliable, you sometimes need to try a copy twice, it also only addresses the controller paks in slot 1 and 2). You can also dump cartridge ROMs, take screenshots live from the N64, and temporarily freeze game execution entirely.

The software also works with Saturn and PlayStation 1 cheat devices with PC connections, and can do memory card copy and write on the PS1.

The downside is it really works best in Windows 98, although it'll still work in NT 4.x, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. You'll also need a real parallel port, the usb-parallel adapters they sell to use old printers don't implement the full port - though a parallel port on an ExpressCard, PCMCIA card (for older laptops) or general add-in card for a desktop PC will work fine.

http://fishmech.info/gscc_xp.7z Here's the program and associated files, since I'm sure the site I got it off of in 2002 or so is long dead.

Thank you for this! I happen to have a pentium D laptop with XP and a real parallel port just for this purpose! I'll try it out tonight because I am not 100%-ing goldeneye, SF Rush and Mario Golf again

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What are you looking to emulate?

Snap up OG wii's and mod them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll be there. What day are you doing the talk?

• Locked thread