Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Are you good with spending way too much to make your collection kind of look like a Betamax video rental shop?

If so
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/bitbox-game-boy.html

Also, when the gently caress did theu come out with a NeoGeo SD card multicart?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

financially racist posted:

excuse me sir but clearly the secret to making lots of money with your cg movie is to have your lead cg 'actress' appear in a swimsuit in a magazine
I may have had the Maxim that appeared in or whatever.
But Aki was supposed to be the start of a Digital Actress -- they had plans to reuse her in other Square Film works after Spirits Within. And to be honest the tech was pretty good for the time. It wasn't until Gollum that we got a nice CGI 'actor' character.

Random Stranger posted:

It wasn't a good movie then. I saw the opening matinée and left disturbed at what an incoherent mess it was.
Part of it was that you had a narrative set up to make the protagonist look like a loon, but then a lot of the world was predicated on what they were expounding being right. Like Dr. Cid's orange barrier poo poo WORKS at repelling the Phantoms effectively, so there's something behind his methodology that makes sense no matter how crunchy his new age spirituality may be.

You'd also think that x-many years after the initial Phantom encounters, you'd have a military that realizes that shooting force ghosts doesn't do much unless you're using Cid's Holistic Gaiatech.

Of course, the most egregious error was going Full Sci-Fi when most of the games' fans had played High Fantasy/ Retrosteam Fantasy games. Hell, they could have made the Gaia-extraction subplot result in dumb "crystals" as a nod to the original set of games.

al-azad posted:

I remember Spirits Within being boring as poo poo with little action and a lot of bad dialog. Something about unkillable aliens that steal your soul by touching you and there's no real way to fight them, not an interesting concept for me. I remember Titan AE more vividly than Spirits Within.
The idea of an exploded piece of planet being soul kryptonite was interesting, but it comes way too late in the story to be worthwhile.

Oddly, I remember watching it shortly before 9/11, but it looks like it was released sometime in July. There's a timeline somewhere that has Spirits Within the worst tragedy of 2001.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 27, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ill buy em if the cans mold is sourced from that one handed snes control.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Uhhhhhh. Thats gonna be one hell of a letdown compared to the first pack.

IIRC, Sleeping Dogs was supposed to be one of those True Crime or whatever games and then they just decided to make it its own thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kid Fenris posted:

What's more, Rayearth went through a bunch of delays beyond the usual Working Designs process: some of the source code went missing, and Sega and WD bickered over the localization. Sega initially wanted to use the character names (Blaze/Luce, Marine, Anemone) from an Americanized version of the TV show that they hoped would be the next Sailor Moon.
Oh weird. I remember watching bits of it while visiting relatives in latin america. Their translation had Lucy, Anais, and Marina. They also had a clunky as gently caress translation for Magic Knight/Swordsman (espadachin magica) to my americanized ears.

But I still remember a bit of the theme song: "Lucy, Anais y Marina / Lograran salvar/ a Cefiro del mal! / Luchando juntas / nadien las podran derrotar!

It's too bad it never got a stateside release. It seems like the perfect halfway point between Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya.
VvV
Sorry, I should have said "too bad the anime never got a chance in the states"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 27, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ofecks posted:

I'm not much of an anime nerd but I liked the Love Hina series. I got fansubs off Kazaa in 2002-03ish. Using dial-up. Took forever and the vids were 512x320 or something tiny. Pretty sure there were dvds available though, and the person I was living with bought some of the manga, which I read.
Ok weird, but I just some nostalgia idleness (and realized my anime collection is lame) and ordered the series (minus the special holiday OVAs) last week. No blus, but DVD is fine right?

I have become crazy spoiled by HD quality anime, even if it's something like Ranma 1/2 or Sailor Moon. The video quality looks atrocious, and the DVDs have the most cringy "Please don't judge me by what's printed on the top of this disc" thing going on with characters clutching too-small towels to cover up. It doesn't help that the first dvd had to be loving Shinobu, too.

Anyway, my buddy had the series on download in 2001 and aside from being entertained at watching an anime on my computer from digital files, I remember the DancinHomer encodes being the worst piles of poo poo ever. Blocky, jerky poo poo. Realmedia probably would have been a more watchable codec.
Kind of wish I still had the disc he lent me. Would be fun to watch 2000s era digital files. Maybe they'd even be bigger than a postage stamp

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Whatever threadbare curation the industry had (if only because decent money was on the line if a title or series flopped) was blown away to basically nothing.
I remember my "this is unsustainable" moment came when I was checking the anime aisle of Best Buy and there was a super special collector's edition of (whatever the gently caress) that had a pair of panties as the collectible. Not a shirt or artbook or anything.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 27, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Light Gun Man posted:

edit: I could never understand how people were watching love hina or similar "grounded" harem shows when like, Tenchi is right there man it's got anime girls AND robots and spaceships and lightsabers it's clearly the superior choice
Tenchi switched up every 12th episode or someshit. Oh cool he released Ryoko from her prison accidentally and now this demon is haunting him because reasons. Wait what? She's actually an outerspace pirate? And Tenchi is the heir to Jurai? His lightsaber channels extradimensional energy and is a shard from the original Treeship? He can use the Light Hawk Wings when he has his sword? What? How many episodes did I miss?!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I recall that some complete spruced up DVD release of the Evangelion TV series was somewhere in the range of $800 to $1000, back in the early 2000s?
There was a Platinum Edition (i think) set that gave the entire series an overhaul and was contained in an Orange LCL-looking case that went for loving ridiculous prices.
But Eva stuff in general is damned costly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ghost Stories is awesome. Some of the funniest con moments i remember is watching that at AX.

As was the weird forgettable card game dub for Adult Swim.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rirse posted:

In non degausing news, what is this game featured on the Everdrive video on My Life in Gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHA3k-y6PE

Should be at the 25:47 mark as it not putting the timestamp in right.

Uhhh...

Oh wait, you're talking about the Strider-like! That's probably RUN SABER

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 28, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

widespread posted:

But then again, I'm wagering it's gonna require some mechanical knowhow.
The tool is really easy to use and dumps a copy of what was on the mini originally (in case you want to revert).

If you can download a program and hook a usb into your PC/Mini, you can get it working. The hard part there is finding the roms you want, the correct Box Art and date of release.

If you want the mini to play NES and GameBoy and Genesis games then yeah that gets more intricate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's not too bad to just add more roms. Like I said it's mostly some data entry for the dates and finding the cover art image you want.

Adding NES support means fiddling with Retroarch cores. It's pretty well documented as far as I know.

I dont think the thing supports actual Genesis games but gently caress me cuz stranger things have happened.

Elliotw2 posted:

Never buy a Genesis clone console.
Yeah those things are a step below the Atari all in one joystick systems. Just get the emulated released off of Steam.

• Locked thread