Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I know the OP says that most retrogaming enthusiasts here use original hardware, but I've gotten into using a Raspberry Pi as a Neo Geo emulator given how loving expensive Neo Geo stuff is. Is there a USB arcade stick (not normal handheld controller) that is relatively cheap but also considered good? I know I could use one of the big expensive ones that competitive fighting game players use, but I don't need something with that much accuracy and that high of a price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Literally The Worst posted:

what's a relatively cheap usb controller that would be good for retro-ing

Retropie people seem to fawn over this one but I just use an old 360 controller.

Back to my arcade stick question, I'm now thinking of just making a project of it and building my own. More expensive than going with a cheapie like this one that I found but also cooler.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If I remember my teenage years right, the SP was a hell of a handheld. Is it generally considered the best GBA? How have they generally held up over the years?

Was there region-lock on GBA games? I seem to remember the DS didn't have it, but the 3DS does.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Crimson Harvest posted:

I ordered the parts to set up a RetroPie, anyone have any gotchas I need to look out for?

It's super simple nowadays. Just never ever unplug your Pi without shutting it down first, otherwise you'll corrupt your microSD card. In fact, once you get everything set up the way you want it with all of your roms and emulators configured perfectly for your tastes, immediately make a backup of the microSD card image to your PC or laptop. That way in case it ever does go corrupt, you can restore it within a matter of minutes.

Edit: don't bother trying to get N64, Saturn, or Dreamcast working until you've got some more experience with the Pi under your belt. All three require overclocking and even then they generally don't work well. In the N64's case I'm not sure if the problem is the hardware so much as it is that N64 emulation itself generally kinda sucks, but maybe it'll be better whenever we get a Raspberry Pi Model 4.

It's an absolute dream for running PSX and earlier though. Also MAME stuff.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 4, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cliche Guevara posted:

Pain in the rear end to assemble and setup though? Will have to look into it. Would love to play some of these old gems in the N64 and PS1 libraries!

Like five posts above yours talks about how you shouldn't get your hopes up to emulate N64 stuff.

I haven't tried a lot of PSX stuff, but what I have tried has worked pretty well though.

And it's absolutely not a pain in the rear end to setup, especially if you've only got NES/SNES/GB/Sega in mind. It already comes pre-assembled, all you have to do is put it inside a plastic case (takes thirty seconds, and honestly is totally optional if you don't mind just keeping a bare motherboard sitting out). Then you download the image file for Retropie from the official site, stick your microSD into your PC, format it, and install the image on it. Take it out, stick it in the Pi, plug in a controller, and turn it on. Move some buttons around on the controller to configure it, takes ten seconds. Done. All that remains is to load up your ROMs onto the machine and (completely optionally) scrape the metadata for them. The entire process from opening the box your Pi comes in to playing a game should take no more than a half hour at the absolute most.

It only gets more complicated if you want to do systems that require you to load the BIOS for the console you want to emulate, even then it's just a matter of getting the BIOS and loading it into the Pi. Or if you want to do more advanced personalization of control schemes per-game or per-emulator, or set up MAME stuff. Everything is very well documented, all of what you will need to know is in an easy-to-use wiki, and there are a billion guides on Youtube.

Drone fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 5, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ofecks posted:

The best 2D golf game is Neo Turf Masters, by a wide margin. There are plenty of others to try, but this one is the easiest to play and the most stylish. Made by Nazca, same ex-Irem dudes who went on to do Metal Slug in '96.

Seconding this, it's a fantastic golf game. Unfortunately it's also incredibly loving expensive (if you want the AES version anyway, which I'm seeing an ad on eBay for 16,000 Euro). The MVS version is pretty cheap all things considered though, and you can always emulate it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

Pokémon Uranium released, get it before Nintendo DMCA's it in about 5 seconds.

http://kotaku.com/after-nine-years-work-fans-release-their-own-pokemon-1785061831

And it's already gone, unless the hosting died from the traffic. :(

Edit: ah no it's just the link at Kotaku that sucks. I just started the download though and it's an .msi.... is that in any way legit?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

david_a posted:

Buy a complete kit like this one and put RetroPie on it. No soldering required and documentation for installing RetroPie is decent. Be warned that it is not entirely plug-n-play - it's still Linux so stuff like getting sound working can be a pain and the overall fit-and-finish is not up to commercial standards, but you aren't going to get anything better in this space.

I'm not sure how long ago you set up your RetroPie, but I just re-imaged my SD card and started with the newest installation (last time was a few years ago), and the image works pretty much right out of the box now, aside from configuring a controller (dead simple from within EmulationStation) and loading ROMs onto the device. You'll only really need more advanced knowledge if you need to troubleshoot problems, but even then there is enough documentation and support out there via Youtube or the official RetroPie forums (or here) that you can work through most problems really easily.

Especially if you're only looking to emulate NES/SNES/Genesis, it's super easy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

My Lovely Horse posted:

Welp, setting up a Retropie was just about the easiest thing I've ever done with emulators. Even homebrewing my Wii was more complicated. Someone said earlier they were apprehensive about it and as someone whose Linux skills are limited to knowing that penguins live at the south pole, and not to mess around with rm -r, go for it, you almost can't do anything wrong. Even my kludges controller solution works out of the box.

Granted, I did mess up the overscan settings to the point where I now have to dig around in some config file or other, but I guess I'll learn something in the process.

Once you get everything set up the way you want, immediately make an image of your microSD card and store it on your PC. T hat way if anything fucks up, all you have to do is flash the image to the microSD card again and you're golden.

When I first got my Pi, I was a dumbass and corrupted my microSD card like three times by improperly powering down the Pi. Lesson learned.

I ended up buying that Hori Mini arcade stick yesterday :toot:, it should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to testing it out on the Pi with some Windjammers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Not a Children posted:

Set up a Retropie yesterday, is great. I just wish I didn't have to adjust the settings to reduce input lag every single time I start up a game. Hoping that upgrading from a 2A to a 2.5A power supply might help a little.

What platform(s) are you emulating? Another common solution to the input lag problem is switching your TV over to Game Mode, if it has one. Modern TV's have so much post-processing built in that it introduces a not insignificant amount of lag. For whatever reason it's especially noticeable when playing SNES games like Super Mario World.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gio posted:

The games I bought (all complete):
Ultima IV
Ultima V
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Planetfall

I'm no expert, but a few minutes of cursory eBaying would indicate that you should be able to make money on the purchase, assuming you can move them. Ultima seems to hover around 30ish each for the disks alone, much more if it's boxed. I saw a couple of HHG2TG disks ranging anywhere from 10-30.

If they are still boxed and have all the manuals, that will help a lot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

al-azad posted:

Generally speaking yes. Hardware can have the caveat of being "as-is" but I don't think games are covered by that. eBay favors the buyer so all it takes is someone upset to force a refund. Given the target audience I think you'll be safe, most people buying computer games that old just want the packaging, but there's always a risk.

Isn't there also often as much demand for the "feelies" that come with those games as for the games themselves?

Man, I wish games still came with feelies. Also big thick manuals and posters and poo poo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

3.5" disks had a little black plastic square which slid to expose a hole to indicate write protection, and likewise retail software just straight-up didn't have the square to slide around so overwriting them required tape.

Oh man, now I'm getting flashbacks to using the tape trick to overwrite cassette tapes for my TalkBoy as a kid.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I assume Apple II's are still commonplace enough that you could probably just hop on Reddit or something and find some computing enthusiast local to you who still has one to test them out.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 17, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gio posted:

Would you happen to know of a subreddit that could connect me to some locals in Metro Detroit? :allears:

I wouldn't know where to start looking.

I googled "reddit detroit" and this was the first result: https://www.reddit.com/r/Detroit/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I got this arcade stick for my RetroPie setup, and it works like a charm on my Neo Geo / MAME stuff. Does anyone happen to have a recommended keybind for it? I never played a ton of arcade games when I was younger (for lack of quarters), so I don't recall what a good setup would be. Would it generally be:

pre:
- - - -
A B X Y
or

pre:
X Y - -
A B - -
?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DeathBySpoon posted:

I just finished stuffing a Raspberry Pi inside a DMG case and I'm pretty happy with how it came out:

Full build album here. Has anyone else done this? It was a fun project but definitely challenging.
(I hope this is retro enough to be on-topic)

As a huge fan of my Raspberry Pi 2 + RetroPie setup at home (I just spent the last two hours playing Tetris Battle Gaiden on it), I love seeing these. And yours looks really nice and clean!

What kind of battery life do you get out of it? That's always one of my biggest push factors away from trying a project like that myself. While they definitely look and feel cool, I don't see the point if the battery will just die after three hours. And without some kind of battery monitor, I'd be terrified of the power just abruptly dying on the thing and then corrupting my microSD.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

It begins

Looks pretty skeevy but to be honest I love the fact that this exists. It gives me the warm fuzzies of nostalgia.

Edit: also it's pretty dumb that the new NES doesn't come with two controllers by default.

Have they hinted at a SNES Classic yet? I get the feeling that will far outperform the NES Classic.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 1, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

A bunch of games which internally have pics of the controller pretty much forces their hand on this, although that raises the question of what they'd do for Europe in that case.

I'm pretty sure the controller layout is identical, it's just a question of the color of the ABXY buttons. I don't see how this would be a problem at all.

The biggest question is which console layout they would use: the blocky NA one or the smoother Super Famicom-style one used in Japan and Europe.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

Hell, because of how the languages work, they might have to stick with PAL versions too.

The NES Classic screws Europe in a way. All of the localizations are the NA versions, even for the Classic that is sold in European stores. Users can change the UI out-of-game into one of like 10 languages, but the games themselves are always in English.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

NikkolasKing posted:

I have been wanting to set up a retro gaming thing for a while but I am poor so it's not easy to justify all the money I figured I'd have to pour into it.

Do you already have retro consoles and games from when they were current, or will you be looking to invest in these too? I mean, any hobby is going to be a moneysink, but retrogaming is a fairly expensive one that is only getting more expensive as time goes on and as more and more people try to get in on it. You can get by with trying to find deals (like that TV) or random boxes of NES games at Goodwill, but more and more people are aware of what they have and are pricing it accordingly.

Edit: on another topic, how do people feel about emulators that introduce overlays or scanlines to try to replicate a CRT look? I haven't seen a CRT TV in action in over 10 years and honestly can't remember enough about how the picture looked to tell you if the type of stuff replicated here looks decent or like absolute poo poo. And I can't decide if I like it or not.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 4, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

NikkolasKing posted:

What I really want is a consolized Neo-Geo MVS. I know a couple places to get them and I frequent the Neo Geo Forums. I just want to play all the SNK classics like King of Fighters, Last Blade, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting....

I love the design, I love the combat, I love the music.... But I could never play arcade games growing up because I have vision problems .

MVS carts are still really expensive though compared to actual consoles. A quick glance at eBay says that my favorite Neo Geo game, Windjammers, can be had for the low, low cost of 150 euros. That cost + "I am poor" doesn't really seem like they go together.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

Generally speaking the way to go is to get 138-in-1-style carts from Alibaba and get any straggler games from there. There is also a flash cart but I think it's 350 Euros or some crazy price like that.

At that point, why not just spend 35 bucks on a Raspberry Pi? I mean, surely some of the appeal of the hobby of collecting retro games (not playing them) is that you have a collection that is genuine. Assuming you want to just play the games and don't really care about the collecting aspect of it, then a 138-in-1 or an emulation setup would be fine. If the goal is to actually collect them, a flashcart seems to defeat the purpose.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

njsykora posted:

I used it briefly on my Pi before I had an SD card reader to make a Retropie card and I would recommend no-one use it ever.

RetroPie uses Retroarch though?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"Make sure that the floor is strong enough."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I don't get with the NES Mini; If they're going to save a few bucks and not include a power supply (it uses USB) to minimize e-Waste or whatever, why the gently caress did Nintendo not just do the sane thing and use their goddamn 3DS power supplies instead? The ones readily available for about $15 Australian and used with most of the Nintendo handhelds for the past decade?

The worst thing about the NES Classic in my mind is the cord on the controllers is like a foot and a half long.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Posting to say I got myself two of those iBuffalo USB SNES controllers for my Raspberry Pi and those things are tight as gently caress for the 6 bucks each that they cost.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but whatever: what are the prevailing thoughts on the 8bitdo NES30/FC30 bluetooth controllers? I'm sorta kinda thinking about using one connected to my Nexus 7 for easy stuff on the go. And I hate the on-screen controls that most emulators on Android provide.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What's the "shortest" of the big 16-bit RPGs?

Background is that I've got a weeklong business trip coming up soon, and I'm gonna be bored out of my gourd in the evenings in my hotel room. I'd like to sink my teeth into something that's completable in around 15ish hours of play, if something like that even exists. Not looking for something massive like FF6, but something smaller and easily digestible.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kid Fenris posted:

If you need a good travel RPG around 15 hours and you have a PSP or Vita, I'd just skip past the 16-bit era and play the original Suikoden. Panzer Dragoon Saga is also that length, but it's not exactly portable.

Suikoden is also an option. I've been meaning to get into that but never have, but I was under the impression that it's anything but a short game. I thought 108 characters = long as gently caress epic storyline.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Phantasium posted:

My time on the PSP remake was just barely over 10 hours so that sounds about right.

That sounds pretty ideal then. Since I haven't played Star Ocean before, should I be doing the SNES version or the PSP remake?

I assume it's one of those things like FF1 where people just recommend to play the modern remake for quality-of-life reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I just need to get a lifting restricton from surgery cleared from a doctor and then I should be able to get it. Getting it in the basement.. will be a thing though.

You're gonna need, at the very least, two adults to get that thing.

• Locked thread