Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

d0s posted:

hey if any of you stream retro games post your twitch links or whatever and I'll put a section in the op for people to watch you play video games

We stream an older game typically on Thursday nights over here: http://twitch.tv/cathodecontraption

There's not really much of a focus here, but the main gimmick is that we typically play on a CRT monitor while splitting the signal and upscaling through a Framemeister just for the stream, which is very nice.

But I also am an easily bored person so we do some weird stuff sometimes. The last thing we did (which you can still see the end of) was what I called The Secret of Monkey Island: Despecialized Edition. Basically we ran the EGA and VGA versions simultaneously and switched between them using a VGA switcher and talked about the differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

fishmech posted:

The "Harmony 2"/Concerto is soon going to be in wide availability for the 7800 and is your only other option other than the long discontinued Cuttle Cart 2 - some people already have early units.

YMMV but I thought I should mention that I got an early Concerto and a 7800 and spent a weekend playing the entire library, and...there's basically nothing there for me. The only good games are arcade ports that you should really just play on MAME instead, and the small handful of original games is occasionally interesting but never good, and mostly feel like halfhearted attempts to make games that are like NES games. I ended up selling the cartridge to an excited guy in Canada, and I *never* sell flash carts. But the library was so devoid of anything I wanted to actually play that I felt like I was wasting space having that stuff in my house.

My favorite game, which I'm mocked for, is Super Skateboardin' - it's like if Pitfall's difficulty was cut in half and Pitfall Harry was on a skateboard. I solved it in about two hours and had a nice time, and will probably never play it again.

Djarum posted:

I have to say the Elgato is a pretty impressive little piece of hardware and have been nothing but impressed with it since I got it. My only complaint is they recently added some weird audio thing to their drivers which I don't want/need. I have to do some work to remove all that nightmare.

I replaced my Elgato with an internal Micomsoft card and never looked back. Elgato is okay, but it compresses the heck out of your video, and sometimes does strange things. Like, when we streamed Raw Danger, the audio (even from our microphone) would cut out for about 1-2 seconds whenever the screen went completely black.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Kid Fenris posted:

I always like it when people say they "solved" a game instead of "finishing" it. It's quaint and amusing, as though they figured out who murdered Bowser or deduced who stole Peter Pepper's retirement money.

It applies to this game though, it is one puzzle that you solve, which is "how do you turn off all of the electricity in this building?" After that all you can really do is do it faster.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WaitsUp posted:

Getting a PVM-2530 that's been sitting around at work. It works, has good colour and no ghosting. Anything else I should know?

You need this to put RGB SCART on it: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter?search=pvm

It has no speakers, but it has speaker cable output. The official speaker model that attaches to the sides and folds in is APM-X5A, but all you can really do is keep an ebay watch and be patient if you want those (I like mine a lot FYI)

Easier/cheaper method maybe: each RCA audio input also has RCA output.

Adjust geometry and stuff with the 240p Test Suite ROM. You have to open the case and adjust the pots. Warning that all RGB input is shifted to the right, so if you adjust your pots for that, all of your composite inputs will be shifted too far left.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WaitsUp posted:

Thanks!

Actually had two working speakers with brackets attached to each side.

Good notes about the geometry.

Now just have to find a stand that can take the 120lbs of this monitor!

Sure. If you think you're going to be doing a lot of composite *and* RGB, I recommend adjusting everything for composite and getting a cheap Extron RGB interface from eBay, which will let you move the picture horizontally. The cabling can be a pain in the rear end, but once you've got it set up it can just be a permanent part of your RGB chain.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

univbee posted:

Not sure. I'm pretty sure it's not parts from gutted consoles, but at the same time it's apparently not an FPGA solution or anything like that.

Here's a video of it in action, the sound is wrong, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1DpyU5qphI

I've had a prototype for over a year now and never noticed inaccurate audio (playing very casually), but that video does sound wrong to me somehow.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

univbee posted:

The channel which handles the explosion noise sounds wrong.

The appropriately named Noise channel.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

I spent a lot of time with an MSX2 at a vintage computer show this weekend and now I want one real bad. My heart is in the Famicom/PC Engine era of games, and this feels like the missing link for me.

Anyone have experience with the system? It seems like I should be able to play just about anything with an MSX2 and a flash cart, but there are so many options I'm getting confused. I also don't know if I need a 2+ if all I care about is playing real games from back then?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

d0s posted:

dude I used to have an MSX2 setup and a shitload of games and sold it all when I lost my job a few years ago, it's so loving upsetting now. you generally don't need a 2+, just get something like a panasonic fs-a1 and a flashcart

That one doesn't have a disk drive, can I do all the disk games through a flash cart? Do they handle disk swapping?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

I played through the first level of Psycho World on the MSX and I want it in my house now. Also those Compile demos look amazing.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Kid Fenris posted:

What was it about Psycho/Psychic World that won you over?

I didn't like Psychic World on the SMS because it was very cookie cutter, but in the original MSX games you explore the map and find secret rooms. Also the first screen in the game you can climb a giant ladder and when you get to the top you see all the levels for the whole game off in the horizon, and that owns. Also the FM music is really good.

Basically it has a lady jumping around killing monsters and finding secret places, and that is my video game aesthetic.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Wizgot posted:

Has anyone realized how amazing old video game magazines are? I've been looking through publications like EGM, Super Play and Video Games and Computer Entertainment. I didn't grow up with this stuff but its just so interesting to look through all the articles and think, "this was the only stuff these guys had to get information". The advertisements are sick too.

Yeah they're cool. I don't collect old games because flash carts exist, but I have what I'm guessing is one of the largest collections of video game magazines in America. I focus on post-crash (so, 1987) because the older stuff is all online, and I cut off at December, 1999 to save space (I figure all news and previews after that is online somewhere). Up to 12/99 I have complete runs of:

Nintendo Power
Game Player's
Ultra Game Players (formerly Game Players, formerly Game Player's Nintendo/Sega, formerly Game Player's Strategy Guide to Nintendo Games, etc.)
Game Player's Game Boy
Game Player's Sega
EGM
EGM2/Expert Gamer
VideoGames & Computer Entertainment/Video Games
Sega Visions
Super Play
GamePro
Next Generation

I'm missing a only a few GameFan (though I have the super rare one that was never mailed out!), and I've got a pretty good majority of Official PlayStation, Dimension P.S.X., Q64, Sega Challenge, Fun Club News, PSM, Super NES Buyers Guide, Mega Play, a bunch of the weird GamePro spinoffs, etc.

I have a shameful collection of the TurboGrafx stuff in comparison because they're hideously expensive.

Oh also the computer game-specific magazines are too hard to find. I mostly let Computer Gaming World go because they're all scanned, but I have maybe a 75% complete run of Computer Game Review (Sendai's magazine) and maybe 50% of PC Games/Electronic Entertainment (IDW's) at this point, and some scattered issues of the Game Player's PC stuff. Oh and I've also got a bunch of Game Developer (including #1).

Anyways, having all of this, my opinions are:

- Early Nintendo Power has layouts that I still admire, I have the most fun reading these

- Game Players/Game Player's is a really confusing magazine, but if you're like me and you appreciate these magazines as reference material, they were surprisingly good with news coverage, and the writing was pretty smart occasionally. I think it's really underappreciated, probably because those early issues were ugly as hell and printed on awful paper.

- Everyone remembers VideoGames & Computer Entertainment as being this sophisticated magazine for adults, but I don't think it holds up. It focuses on stuff nobody cared about way too much, to the point where I actually get suspicious about some of their choices. Example: there's literally a U-Force cover story. Also, they had writers on staff who designed games on the side, and then talked about those games in articles without disclosing that they worked on them, which is...no.

- EGM was really fanboyish, but lord do I appreciate how dedicated Ed Semrad was to photographing screenshots of every game at every trade show. Sometimes literally the only information we have about a game that didn't ship was because of his photos.

- I can't read GameFan. The layouts hurt me so much that I don't see the words.

EDIT: I take scan requests as often as I can manage them (for specific things, not entire issues!), so if there's anything you really need that you can't get online, let me know.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 16, 2016

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

d0s posted:

What do you know about a magazine called Intelligent Gamer? I had a subscription for it around the N64 launch and it was really good and not snobbish or weird like the title would suggest, I always wondered what happened to them because for a while it was really good. I still have my old issues somewhere and I remember scanning one of them because it had a giant article on Sonic Xtreme that people on sonic cult wanted

e: wow they still have my "scan", totally forgot it was just a photo http://www.sonic-cult.org/imagebin/xtreme.jpg

Not much. I know it's really hard to find (in fact, I'd want yours if you don't want them anymore...), and that it was the fourth and final iteration of the Sendai/Ziff magazine that I don't think they ever knew what to do with. It started as the awkward 90s relaunch of Electronic Games, which became the more "multimedia"-focused Fusion, which got tied in to Ziff's Intelligent Gamer website as "Intelligent Gamer's Fusion," and then finally was just Intelligent Gamer. My guess based on the one issue I have is that Intelligent Gamer was Ziff-Davis' answer to Next Generation/Edge.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

d0s posted:

If you want them to archive or something I'd gladly send them to be (non destructively) scanned but I'd want them back because they're kind of nostalgic/sentimental to me. I think I have around 10 issues

Yeah I might take you up on that someday. I wouldn't slit the spine or anything but I would press down flat to get those margins as best I can, so they might come back a little bit floppier.

I've also been trying for like a year now to arrange being able to use the Internet Archive's book scanners, which would make things go way faster. I'd really like to have everything online, even if it's not in ideal form, and let the proper scanning groups of the future worry about going back and doing it right. Yeah because I want people to access this stuff, but also I just want all my poo poo OCR'd so I can search it.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Japanese gaming magazines need to get scanned for the internet ASAP far as I'm concerned. They have decades of poo poo we probably don't even know is there, countless tie-in manga we've never seen, etc. There's barely any effort into that field at all other than like some of the PC Engine or Neo Geo communities maybe.

FWIW there's at least a good collection with these guys: http://gamepres.org

They don't do the actual scanning, but they're not opposed to someone else doing it I'm sure. They've even got public access to it on weekends I think.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

FireMrshlBill posted:

If you don't already have a CRT TV with Svideo, I guess it wouldn't be bad. I'm still waiting on SCART to BNC cables to try out RGB on my 14" PVM, but am using it for s-video in the meantime. It is good, definitely sharper than my 27" CRT TV, but I'd still choose my TV over the PVM right now just because of size.

So ya, if you already have a 20" or bigger CRT TV, I'd skip without RGB. If you don't have a CRT already, it probably wouldn't hurt to try and offer a lower price to see if they take it. You could always upgrade and resell later on and break even.

Honestly though if you've got the space and you think you might want to play with some PAL stuff, this might not be a bad backup to have, since it supports PAL, NTSC, and SECAM over S-Video. You can play some weird Euro-only PS2 games without cutting any of the picture off, and they'll probably look pretty good on it.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Just a heads up that Everdrive GBA seems to not work with like, the majority of micro SD cards that exist. Hopefully a firmware update can fix it (I'm 0/2 so far), and hopefully I can actually update the firmware considering that it requires, you know, reading off of an SD card.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

xamphear posted:

This is a problem that's plaguing all of Krikzz's MicroSD-only carts. The new Mega Everdrive v2, the EDGB and the EDGBA. They all seem to hate the same brand/models of cards, and work with the same ones. This one works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5HCK/

Krikzz has been pretty unresponsive on the issue, just telling people to try other cards. I spent $50 on various cards just to find one that worked.

The card from my Everdrive GB doesn't work in my Everdrive GBA, it's something else.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And that Super Mario Bros 1 prototype TheRedEye almost got recently. I wonder what the minus world glitch would have done in that version. :allears:

My guess is that it's nearly complete, so the minus world is probably the same. It's probably the final game with a couple of minor bugs.

Cliff Racer posted:

TRE, is there a reason you only got four of them? I know you suspected a scam earlier on, is it possible to go back and pick up the rest? Its odd how little excitement there is about finding prototypes of early HAL/Nintendo second party games. For all people like to catalogue Nintendo stuff shouldn't there be more interest?

As soon as the seller listed one that had an obvious difference in the screenshots, thus verifying that the fishy-looking things might actually be prototypes, we bought all of them. The only one I let someone else get was Mario Bros. (the arcade port, not Super), because the manufacturing dates on the EPROMs came after the game was published, so it seemed safe to assume that it was just the final game. Maybe I should have gotten it anyway but I am not made of money, and quick decisions had to be made.

As far as "shouldn't there be more interest," I'm sure there would have been a ton of interest if more people saw these auctions.

UnhandledException posted:

I can't help but think these are elaborate hoaxes. Misspellings in Joust is pretty low effort. I've seen that Super Mario scrolling bug in bootlegs and emulators. If that's the only difference, I'd be suspicious.

If these are hoaxes they're masterful. Of the five we got (a friend got F-1 Race, which has different colors on the title screen among other changes), four were different. It's not just the text, there are hex differences all over the place, which I'm sure are just bug fixes and minor tweaks. So, if it's a hoax, they kept Soccer identical to add some legitimacy to it I guess? Also, if it's a hoax, they were very careful to only use EPROMs with manufacturing dates that preceded the release dates of the games (pretty difficult to source these days), EXCEPT for that one Mario Bros. cart.

I've been dumping NES prototypes for literally 18 years now, I know what I'm doing!

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

You said there were 16 carts on NA, or were you talking about past sales?

There were 16 total, sold one at a time, and several were sold before we saw them.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Something I don't hear talked about with bootleg cartridges is how a lot of them were free hacks and translations done by the community, sold by someone else for a profit without permission. It's one thing to bootleg a commercial game that a company already made its profit off of or whatever, but it's another thing entirely to poo poo in your own community pool like this.

I used to be kind of upset that people were bootlegging the unreleased games we spent a lot of money to make sure people could see, but I'm over it now. I'd rather people profit off of my money than profit off of someone else's months/years of labor.

Miles McCloud posted:

There's a pretty big distinction between a reproduction and a counterfeit. A counterfeit is something intended to maliciously pass off as an original, a reproduction is meant to be a known copy. That's the reason people who make fake cash for movie use don't go to jail. I'm completely against making a repro so authentic that it could pass as an original.

"Reproduction" implies making a new version of an existing item, like if someone were to make a copy of Stadium Events that could pass for the original at a glance. These dang things are bootlegs.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

plasticbugs posted:

I ran into this with a 16GB Sandisk, and had luck with a 32gb Transcend card (class 10) formatted with a 32k cluster size. I have an extra because it didn't work in my Everdrive GB - happy to hand it off to you somewhere in the city if you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015J44R0U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_P--TxbFYXBTMS

Thank you so much for the offer, but the BART price for coming to meet you to get it is like $1 less than just buying it with free same day shipping, so I'm hilariously going to pass on your offer to give me the thing I need for free.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

The Kins posted:

A friend of mine interviewed a former Maxis employee who headed up the somewhat controversial SimHealth and the Chevron training tool SimRefinery. Here's a sentence from that interview that will cause TheRedEye to spontaneously combust in fury.

I ain't mad, that's really cool though.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Hi hello here's a fun thing I did:

http://gamepreservation.tumblr.com/post/150411590134/every-earthbound-review

I pulled out and scanned every review of EarthBound to get a feel for why it didn't catch on. Them 1995 gamers were REALLY MAD at the art style. Literally all of them.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

I don't want to ruin anyone's fun but component video scaled through a modern TV still looks like artifact-filled garbage to me. You're cleaning up the source signal but you're still running that source through the wrong scaler, so you're getting a lot of artificial artifacts that shouldn't be there, and you're probably getting some pretty bad input lag too. I don't know if there are good solutions out there for this, but I actually think you'd be happier with plain old composite through a good scaler, it looks surprisingly good for what it is. I have had some pretty good results with a stock NES and a Framemeister.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

mikeycp posted:

I play stuff through a $10 hdmi scaler that works decently well. Its good.

That's kind of what I was getting at. If you're playing on an HDTV, I'll bet you composite through a scaler is going to give you better results than buying special component cables for your snes. If you're happy then good for you I guess, but I legitimately think you're misinformed and going about this the wrong way.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

wa27 posted:

If there is some cheap composite scaler that will clean up the image so well that I can see the dithering in Genesis games, someone please post it. I still have several consoles that I'm stuck using composite with.

Well, no scaler is going to make the source material better, but I'd also encourage people to post about their experience with cheaper scalers. I think most of us who talk about scalers are the hardcore types who want the best, but I'm guessing there's quite a few reasonable options out there that scale 240p way better than modern TVs do.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

wa27 posted:

Cool, thanks. Does it maintain aspect ratio?

I'll have to think about it because I currently use a component switchbox that works with both composite and component (my tv has shared inputs and auto-detects the signal). I'll probably need to get another switchbox for this, unless I could split the output of the switchbox to go to the TV and scaler at the same time.

From what I'm seeing in the reviews it looks like it depends on the system/video output, but you can always force your TV into 4:3 in the settings.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Captain Rufus posted:

One thing I'd love to see someone do is cover the same license that had entirely different games in the same time period on different platforms.

Like Aliens has TWO C64 games that are totally different and then an MSX game that is different still! Batman 89 has.. 4-7 different games based on it! Returns even more! Transformers had 2 C64 games and the infamous Famicom Mystery of Convoy. (I used them as examples since I collect games for all 3 Ips. I almost won a loose but complete MSX Aliens to basically complete that theme. Almost. It's a lovely game though.) There are 2 different Friday the 13th games, 2 Nightmare on Elm Streets, 3 Gremlins. 2 ETs. 2 Predators and 3-4 Predator 2s! 4 Alien3s!

It's a cool thing I'm surprised people haven't done as a style or theme for projects.

Mostly this is limited to people who pretend that Genesis Aladdin is better than SNES Aladdin.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Stadium Events is $0.29 :lol:

What a lot of people don't realize is that some of us actually knew about Stadium Events back then: it was listed for cheap, but it didn't really exist in any inventories. I ordered a copy from Funco online for $0.29 in maybe 1999 or 2000 but it was "backordered." I'm still waiting for it.

I have some newsletters from about 1989 where there's one guy in the classifieds every month advertising looking for Stadium Events. He may be a time traveler.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

Buy him the cheapest beer you can find. It has the same alcohol content so it must be just as good.

I mean, we're wine snobs. We're the equivalent of wine snobs.

I usually say film buff but I think I like that even better.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Actually I'm going back to the film buff analogy, at least for me.

Film buffs want to watch the best print possible of a movie. Lucky for them, technology has evolved so that the home theater experience is only bringing them closer to the ideal of being able to watch the movie "as it's intended," i.e. on a theater screen. I think most people are capable of understanding why a film fan would prefer to watch a blu-ray of a film on a good screen/projector instead of on a DVD on some Wal Mart TV.

Game "buffs" or w/e want that pure experience too, but new technology has made old stuff look worse, so we have to retain old stuff instead of upgrading to new stuff.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Aren't PAL GameCubes the good ones?

PAL Gamecubes are the ones that can do analog RGB out natively, but you don't need to have a PAL display to use it. Use your homebrew loader of choice, and have Swiss load your games in NTSC standard resolutions. I have Swiss auto load when I turn my Gamecube on, so I just turn the system on first, wait like ten seconds, then turn my monitor on.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So Double Dragon IV is going to be a thing and they're sticking with NES style graphics I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f8RV4Q8t4

PS4 and Steam.

I hate the color palette a lot. That's not NES graphics, that's early NES emulator graphics.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Yeah, even with the component cables, GBA games look pretty assy on the GB Player. You need TheRedEye's 240p hack to make it worthwhile. It was posted here a long time ago, so I'm sure someone has the link handy.

I do RGB (not component) so I do homebrew loader > Swiss > Game Boy Interpreter > RGB out on a PAL Gamecube, because only PAL supports RGB natively. It works because you're not ultimately spitting out a PAL signal, you're spitting out 240p.

You could do the exact same with component cables on an NTSC Gamecube if your target supports 240p over component (most late CRTs, Framemeister).

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

That Jaleco multicart would be cool if it didn't use the same "launch-era NES black box design except worse" layout as every other retro video game product released in the last 20 years. Like, Jaleco had an aesthetic on the NES, and it looked cool. White backgrounds with blue text and stuff. Do that!

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Monitor Burn posted:

Any recommendations on where to pick up a PAL gamecube in the US?

Nope. I just posted a WTB ad on NintendoAge and got lucky that someone stumbled into one that they had no use for, they sold it to me for like $20. This was also a bit before people generally knew about this method for getting RGB, so they might actually be in demand now...

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Reminder that you can still luck into a first gen PS3, which has native compatibility for PS1 and PS2 (instead of emulation). If your local GameStops have these $40 PS3s, might want to go look for those.

As an aside, there was also a "test" version of this unit for QA and game reviews and stuff that played games for any region for PS1, 2, or 3, original or burns. It's a magic device that just plays any PlayStation thing you throw in there and has HDMI out and, gently caress it, plays blu-ray movies too.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

univbee posted:

A few corrections here:

- All ps3's will play ps1 games, this was never taken out.
- The test ps3's can't play commercial dvd's or blu-rays, they don't have a playback license.

Prettttty sure later models emulate PS1 rather than play from real hardware, anyone know for sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

All PS3's emulate PSX games.

Even the early models that do native PS2? I guess I always assumed native PS1 came with that.

• Locked thread