Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the best home version of Burgertime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I'm not sure I've ever seen a neo Geo console in person.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
There was definitely an Ultra 64 news release like that in either Nintendo power or egm because I felt really cool telling my mom that the SNES successor was going to be called the Ultra super Nintendo before that magazine came out.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I used RetroArch. I moved the directory for save files and then moved it back to default and it never read those files again no matter what I did.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I am looking for a solution that may not exist.

I want to play PS1 games, mostly RPGs, in a portable format that accepts savestates or suspended states (like closing the lid on a 3DS). My playtime is very limited and I can't spend a lot of time rushing to get to a save point when I need to finish.

Is there a way to do that with modded PSP or Vita, or some other handheld device? Especially if buying games through PSN or something is an option.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Spoderman posted:

You can definitely suspend with a PSP. The PSP Go had a savestate-light feature (pause game), but it's poorly implemented. But a modded PSP is a perfect handheld PS1

Is there 100% compatibility with PS1 games or will I run into a bunch of BS issues? Any forum posts from GBATemp I can find about like a hundred years old at this point.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

GutBomb posted:

Well there are control issues, there are no analog sticks on the psp where some games for ps1 use two. The "analog stick" on the psp is really just a different feeling d-pad, there's nothing analog about it. There's also no r2 and l2 triggers, analog or digital. So from that perspective there is not even close to 100% compatibility. As for how things run, it's not janky and everything I've tried runs and looks fine, beyond the control issues.

You'll want one of the earlier psps if you do go for it because the newer ones (and the Vita) emulate ps1 through software rather than hardware. On the vita you're also looking at third party emulators for ps1 that do introduce some jankiness.

Not having the R2/L2 seems like a huge dealbreaker. How do you work around it?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Wipeout XL was the best soundtrack ever.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
If you didn't wake up at 6 am on Saturdays to tape Dragon Ball Z because it wasn't always on at 6 (sometimes 6:30, sometimes not at all) and you couldn't rely on your VCR's timer then you weren't a kid of the 90s.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I remember watching the original Dragon Ball series every day at like 1 pm in the summer and then after it got to a certain point it just started over at the beginning because they hadn't translated any more episodes to that point.

Similar memories are trading nes games with people and it being newly impossible to get them back. I'm sure my parents loved that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
If I buy a used PSP on ebay with the intention of modding it and playing games off of the Memory Stick, what should I be aware of in terms of condition? Seems a lot of the options have broken UMD slots or are "untested" and buy at your own risk.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Ys - pronounced Ease or Wise?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

worthless. posted:

What, you don't get a mad b**** when you talk about R*B **S?

I do get a mad blood when I talk about ROB NES

Because I didn't buy the huge stock of those robots at a going out of business Woolworth's 20 years ago for $10 each.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Djarum posted:

I wish Twitch would encourage people to view stuff that isn't the biggest newest thing. It is incredibly hard to find people playing more obscure/less popular games.

Speed runs live.com

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Any version differences to be aware of with psp games? I read something about FFT European version being superior.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I owned SF2 and when SF2 Turbo came out my mom took me to the video store to rent it, and we got towed out of the lot so the total cost of renting it was about what it would have been had we just bought it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I've played FF6 a million times and I agree that it starts slow, and the 3 way party split is a very boring section of the game, especially the Sabin/Cyan part.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I shamefully admit to only beating Resident Evil 1 with a friend over, and the strategy guide. Too spooky.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Rare prototype of Mario vs Sonic that my uncle at Nintendo said was totally awesome!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

univbee posted:

Wowzers, Nihon Falcom tweeted out "hey, we found these and are going to throw them out."

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/852781197021163526

They apparently didn't realize what they had was actually pretty rare.

Fortunately, enough people tweeted them that they are instead being donated.

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/855301988711518210

What is this exactly, just unreleased/NIB copies of games that are long out of print or something more interesting?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Celebrate the Magnavox Odysey 300 on this page.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao holy poo poo

Cruise ships always have wii sports on the big screen. They schedule it for like 1-1:30 in between the trivia and bingo sessions.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

al-azad posted:

This is why I find Tales games to be easily pick-up-and-play. They all have some kind of in-depth diary of events and characters to catch you up. My short but growing list of "mandated RPG features"
1. Save anywhere
2. Monsters that die in one-hit should either be auto-defeated or run away
3. Recap my adventure somewhere
4. All cutscenes should be skippable
5. All text should be instant

Battles should have a speed up mode and/or be extremely fast in the first place like dragon quest.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Shadowrun should be on there.

And Sim City.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

The Machine posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_Mouse

The list of SNES Mouse-compatible games is way larger than I thought.

I'm pretty sure I used the mouse to play Civilization and it was awful, but that port of the game is terrible anyway.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

FireMrshlBill posted:

I can see that, kind of like how when many people think of "the internet", it is the post dot-com era. Many people don't think of pre-2000's when they think of "the internet". Like many gamers don't think of pre-1985 when it comes to gaming. You ask them what the first gen is, and they would say NES era (most in the US wouldn't even say the SMS).

Gaming's 1983 crash is to the Internet's 2001 bubble burst or whenever it was, and the aftermath defined what it is today.

Is Alta Vista the 2600 of search engines? Or Yahoo? Well, didn't Yahoo use AltaVista? So is Yahoo the Sears Telegames?

Ooooh the Ngage is Infoseek.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Nate RFB posted:

Earthbound is probably the one white whale that I'd love to have in my collection but probably never will. It's an archaic game in a number of ways that makes playing it in 2017 kind of frustrating, but I still more or less enjoyed my time with it. Having played it on the VC, Shantae on the other hand is nowhere near good enough to justify the cost IMO.

When I bought my Dreamcast at a Meijer back in 2000 they had glass case completely full of Earthbound. There must have been 30 of those huge boxes, all for $15, and I didn't buy even one because I spent all my cash on the Dreamcast.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I remember going to ebgames in 2001 and buying probably 20 n64 games for less than $50 total. Good games too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Dragon's Lair fuckin owned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l464ZF5jK3Y

• Locked thread