Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
_____!
May 2, 2004

My Super Nintendo multi-tap may not be shaped liked Bomberman, but at least I have some solace that I can look at the Hudson bee on the sticker:kiddo:. Man I just had a flashback to ordering that and Super Bomberman 2 out of one of the listings in the back of EGM circa '97.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_____!
May 2, 2004

flyboi posted:

No. VA6 is HDG and you can tell the difference based on the FCC label at the bottom as it's shorter and has a silver box inside of it. It is the only TMSS HDG revision.

The non-HDG TMSS with the EXT port covered is VA 6.5/6.8.

Seconding that this is true since my model 1is a VA6 and has the High Definition Graphics text, TMSS screen and the ext port in the back. Well it had the ext port until I needed room for S-video/line out audio jacks. :getin:

_____!
May 2, 2004

GutBomb posted:

My 11 year old daughter is obsessed with Undertale...I set up a SNES emulator for her and she's been playing Earthbound a ton over the past couple days. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

cosmicjim posted:

My 10 year old daughter just finished Day of the Tentacle...My new proudest moment at as a father. Not that she finished it(because I helped her), but because she enjoyed it.

Both of you receive joint custody of the "greatest parents award". Raising those children right. I look forward to their posts in 6-8 years complaining that someone sniped an auction for a SNES game and the subsequent post by either of you about the great deal you got outbidding them. :D

_____!
May 2, 2004

mike12345 posted:

How is the 3D gamepad for Saturn? I'm really impressed by the standard Saturn gamepads, they're my favourite, so I'm thinking about buying one of those as well. They look goofy & cool.

If you are going to play games that use it I'd say go for it with the caveat that the standard pad is going to be much more comfortable for everything else. You can't beat the perfection of the regular pad basically, but hopefully someone who actually plays more Saturn than I do can weigh in.

fishmech posted:

It's basically the Dreamcast controller, so if you like those you'll like the 3D pad.

I like the Dreamcast controller but the Saturn 3D pad seems slightly more comfortable.

_____! fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 8, 2016

_____!
May 2, 2004

d0s posted:

Agreed, it does suck. The 6-button pad I posted is way better. It's the pad that came with the model 2 and CDX

http://segaretro.org/Six_Button_Control_Pad_(Mega_Drive)

The six button you linked to? As everyone knows it is fantastic. I love it; I use one as my main Genesis pad. It feels like a smaller version of the good Saturn pad.

I also have this six button pad which is not fantastic. Lower quality plastic? Check. Awkward three button shape? Check. Hard edges to dig into your hands? Very check. At least it has turbo. That pad only comes out if I want to play co-op Streets of Rage 3 which obviously happens less than playing co-op Streets of Rage 2. That other six button pad looks like a dream compared to this one!

How a controller specifically for the Brazilian market released late in the console's life made it's way to a New Hampshire pawn shop is beyond me.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I love when I randomly come across the Super Nintendo being mentioned in mainstream popular culture: http://teamcoco.com/video/celebrity-nudes-hacker-gets-hacked

drat it Conan you're better than this, that is clearly a PS2 controller for the auto-erotic asphyxiation nor is the SNES yellow enough to be legit!:q:
edit regarding below:I didn't notice that but now I also see that the PS2 controller has a USB plug!

_____! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 15, 2016

_____!
May 2, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Also the power button is on

I didn't notice that but the power has to be on to really get a great jack-job from a Super Nintendo. I also see that the PS2 controller has a USB plug.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Excuse me, that's a PS3, controller. Please turn in your nerd card and leave the building.
:doh:
Anything made after 1995 looks the same to me. Back in my day controllers were rectangles!:corsair:

_____!
May 2, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Ohhh, I own Ikki! Wikipedia tells me that that is where the term "kusoge" comes from. Lucky me.

When I ordered my Famicom I made sure to include Ikki because of that.

rdbbb posted:

booting Outrun 2006 on Steam is the most alpha thing I do (and I'm pretty alpha)

I feel sort of dirty but I play it with a ps2 steering wheel looking like this (well at 720p because this 2011 laptop can't handle that at 1080p).:
check it at full size for the full effect
Text and menus looks like poo poo but the game itself looks pretty cool. I used SweetFX to do that (and I'm sure that image is going to cause at least 2 people in this thread to have a tremendous heart attack. It feels like a tiny bit of sacrilege.)

edit:image size fixed.

_____! fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 16, 2016

_____!
May 2, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE

And people wonder why the hoarding mentality exists in this community. This is why people buy every N64 they come across at garage sales/thrift shops since they'll just wind up on the street. That Gamecube has clearly seen some poo poo.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The box art for the Super Famicom version of Super Strike Eagle is extremely :wtc:

I feel that's almost US Phalanx levels of "Why would you put that on the game box?" except in this case we know why they chose that image even if it doesn't make any sense.

Well CLEARLY there must be a boss in that game who is a giant semi-nude floating lady. I just realized that sounds like I'm talking about Parodious.

Or its just Boomer in a costume.

_____!
May 2, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

The local retrogames meetup group closed recently, and I was thinking about starting a new one, but with a twist. It would be specifically a handheld gaming meetup. I figured it would be better since there would be less equipment to haul and you could meet in parks instead of people's houses. I really don't want some of those people in my apartment.

Does this sound like a good idea, and if so what games would be good? Def. MKDS, but I was thinking also the handheld Mario Parties. Multiboot games would be great, so not everyone needs the game.
All I can imagine is this devolving into a swarm of people moving around like an amoeba interconnected by Game Boy link cables playing 16 player Faceball 2000. I see nothing wrong with that.

Seriously though that sounds like a great variation of a retro game meetup. There is also the bonus that it is more ambulatory with (presumably) less barrier to entry, as you mentioned.

_____!
May 2, 2004

I just got my copy of Kira Kira Star Night DX for the Famicom. How does this not have a sound test? :psyduck:

I also thought this was new but from some searching it looks like it came out in 2013. Did they just decide to reprint it or is this somehow different? Either way it has some rad music.

_____!
May 2, 2004

The dick boss in particular is gonk to the extreme. Great horizontal shooter.
Is that the normal label for it? I have it for Mega Drive (where it is called Gynoug) and the label has art and looks normal.

edit:I'm referring to Wings of Wor and did not mean to imply Snail Maze had gone X-rated.

_____! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 8, 2016

_____!
May 2, 2004

If you are familiar with de-soldering it shouldn't be a big deal. From some cursory Googling it looks like it uses a tabbed version of the CR-2032, but you'd want to check what kind it says on the battery itself if you can open the cart up since a lot of the battery backed up games (on other systems at least) used a rechargeable version of the 2032.

Don't take this as fact until someone else backs this up but it looks like it isn't rechargeable and this tabbed version should work judging by the listing's title: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CR2032-Lith...DwAAOSw-dBTuEyP

_____! fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 8, 2016

_____!
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There were quite a few something-den games at the time featuring ghost samurais. Konami's Getsu Fuma Den and Namco's Genpei Toma Den series being the most prominent. Kenseiden in particular looks a lot like Getsu Fuma Den

I'm playing Getsu Fuma Den right now. I am not looking forward to seeing if I correctly wrote down the Katakana down correctly for the password.
I'm enjoying it so when I'm done I'll have to load up Kenseiden on the Genesis flash cart. Always good to get recommendations that are similar to what you're playing now.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Have you been collecting them to get a 1-Up? That only works if you have a punk hairstyle.

_____! fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 6, 2017

_____!
May 2, 2004

I remember the awkward time I was reading a preview of Ballz and was confused about what one of the billboards said in the the background. "Mom, what does 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am' mean?" and then she gave a chipper, but short and blunt explanation.

She was also one of the Dr Mario Destroyers. Just constantly running train on level 24 over and over. On the flip side she played with the music off and thus is not privy to the wonder of Fever nor Chill.

I'm not a huge Jaleco fan but count me in for those compilations. I only have a few of those on cart. I definitely don't feel the need to play through Astyanax again. I played through it at a friend's bachelor party (read as: a bunch of nerds bringing TVs and games). I told the bachelor that instead of joining in multiplayer shennanigans I would personally do my best to play through the entirety of an an NES game I hadn't yet played through to slog through and show him the ending. And yes I had migraine cooling pads.

_____! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_____!
May 2, 2004

Quiet Feet is making me regret not picking up one of those sealed best seller F-Zero carts from Amazon a couple years back. The closest I've come is taking some shrink wrap off of a thrift store copy of Solstice that wasn't sealed. If there is ever a New England retro game goon meet I'll make sure to scowl at you from a distance.

Also I do not need another copy of Astyanax, one is enough!. I wouldn't mind trying the arcade version though! Mostly I remember Jaleco from the Fortified Zone series since there were maps in the first issue of Nintendo Power I owned.:3: I probably shouldn't have said I wasn't a huge fan of Jaleco, I meant that as they aren't my favorite but they are good.

• Locked thread