Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Wavy, uneven US Sega Saturn and US Sega CD spine paper drives me crazy, especially since you can only see it from an angle. I am alone here

I swear every copy of NBA Jam TE I've seen looks like someone took out the spine, got it wet and then stuck it back in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Only Shallow posted:

Mega Drive is one of the systems that never worked properly with my lovely SCART -> BNC fanout cable w/ LM1881, along with MSX, Atari 800, and a few others. They always gave a black screen with rolling diagonal lines and I never cared enough to figure out why since S-Video looked okay. Now that it works fine with the gscartsw I know what system I'll be playing all weekend :3:

IT'S YOU !!

That IIDX empress tapestry is :allears:

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

xamphear posted:

This is such a great book, and everyone who wants to understand the NES/Famicom at a more technical level should read it.

I am in the process of reading this now, and seconded. I smacked my head figuratively when I read the NES controller purposefully
has 8 button inputs (Up, Down, Left, Right, Select, Start, B, A) to equal 1 byte of data being sent. Any more buttons would have required 2 bytes and been wasteful.

The amount of optimization that went into SMB is admirable.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

xamphear posted:

Can confirm. I have an NES30 and an SNES30 and the SNES30 has a higher build quality. The NES30 isn't bad or anything, it's just not as good. My NES30 also has a mushy D-pad Up, so I'm going to swap it out, hoping that's just a one-off defect.

The receivers both work great and accept the same controllers, so you could use an SNES30 with the NES receiver, or the NES30 with the SNES one. Or a Wii U pro controller, or a Dual Shock 4. I hope they keep making more receivers. Genesis, N64, Gamecube, PS1/2... It'd be great to play PS1 and PS2 games with a Dual Shock 4.

Has anyone else experienced a slight buzzing with the NES30 plugged in? I haven't tried it on my setup yet but a friend had noticable audio buzzing as soon as the bluetooth light came on.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I totally get that, I hope that my post didn't come across as trying to find some secret steal at these events. I'm mostly going because it's in my hometown and I haven't been back in a while, so it works out for me. I don't expect things to be stupid cheap, but just not overly price gouging like some of these kinds of events can be.

Look on the website and see if sellers have to pay. If yes, prices will be what you expect. The only time I have found deals is in local swap meets that had free admission and free dealer tables.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Nyko-Joystick-Controller-Ultra-Rare-/370489239041?hash=item5642e12601:m:m8Aa2hCD1iBbR3jnHJ34-Kg

:wtf: is happening

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

fruitpunch posted:

Speaking of GBAs, anyone know a good place to get an OG GBA with a backlight these days? I see kits to do it myself but I don't trust my abilities in the slightest and i'd much rather either pay for one that's already done, or find someone to whom i can send a GBA for modding.

I got lucky on Etsy, but haven't looked recently.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

On the subject of game soundtracks I've recently been wanting to talk about two songs in particular that just really bring me back to the time they were around. These are songs from two games that I never played, and never heard of, up until a couple years ago. I don't know what it is, but they really stood out the first time I played them. The first song is from Astal.

https://youtu.be/tBOuuI-htzE?list=LL8THfCDgBfurdycMYJ_nnRg

What gaming music immediately brings you back?

Astal is hands down my favorite Saturn game. It feels like a piece of some alternate dimension showing where 2D games could have gone in the 32-bit era. I sit down and clear it every year or so. It's not perfect by any means, but it helped bridge the gap between Genesis and Saturn in my mind. Then I played Virtual Hydlide :(

Into the Darkness is great, but I raise you with Sea of Clouds, which makes my hair stand on end every time I hear it

https://youtu.be/5YweLBAh0nE

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

https://youtu.be/BQ9ETYg5-o4

Tales of Destiny PSX port town
The seagulls remind me of Cedar Point / driving around the Great Lakes

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

The Columbus Gaming Expo was pretty fun. Always nice to play a free game of DDR Extreme and shop for retro games.

I forgot the Euro 32X games come with frozen dinner trays:

Copy of Sonic & Kunckles I picked up has some way past cool merch:

Ditto for Virtua Racing. Check out the sick competitor for the Apple Watch, and that denim jacket

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

PSP chat and no mention of DJ Max Portable Black Square and/or Clazziquai :( If you like music games (read: portable Beatmania) check it out.

Just be careful if you :filez: Black Square, the copy protection deletes itself and any other DJ Max save game it finds unless you patch the iso.

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 18, 2016

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

The Saturn could, though, right? That's the code base I assume they used.

Saturn can do transparency, but most developers didn't bother

https://youtu.be/f_OchOV_WDg

edit: beaten

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

He better be monster buddies with the caco plush :dings:

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Is there any way to buy a model 2 VA4 Genesis? I've been scouring eBay and looking at / requesting pictures but I haven't had any luck yet. Local shops all seem to have VA1 or VA3.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

falz posted:

I think I have two VA4s if those are the ones with the stubby motherboard visible from the bottom. I'm actively using one now but the reset button doesn't work, I need to tshoot this first to see if I need to switch to the other. No promises on a timeline here I guess, but maybe later.

Yeah, VA4 are these guys. Metal plate stops halfway-ish, and two square ventilation holes on the plate itself. If you have two of these I would buy one even if the reset button is broken :henget:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You could put up a WTB ad in SA-Mart, or on one of the bigger enthusiast boards (SHMUPS, maybe?). Otherwise, you'll either have to pester the hell out of sellers and hope they're willing to respond and go to the trouble, or roll the dice on various purchases. I think the VA4 version of the Model 2 had a short motherboard that didn't expand out under the ventilation slots, if that helps? I could be wrong, and not really care if I am, since I have no love for the Model 2 Genny anyway :colbert: .

I will try both of these suggestions. I know Model 1 is technically better but i am hard nostalgic for Model 2.

In unrelated news I am moving to California and I am super hype to be near a Round1 and Book Offs.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

They have stuff like Dodonpachi tucked away in corners at Round1. It's not their primary focus but you can find a few things here and there.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The reason people look for that particular revision of the Genesis 2 (the vents with the em shielding that doesn't go all the way across) is that it has a bit better sound than the other models. And considering how the Genesis usually sounded, it needed all the help it could get. :v:

You are quite the villian sir :mad:

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I know people were talking about a classic gaming bubble a year or so ago, but does anyone have opinions on whether the market has peaked yet?

I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for $500 at a local shop 6 months ago and sold it on eBay for $620 two weeks ago. I was very surprised to flip it for that much profit. I started it at $100 with no minimum and no Buy It Now expecting it to land somewhere around the norm.

I don't know about overall trends but every Saturn game I bought less than a year ago sold for 10-25% more a few weeks ago. Not sure if that is just a temporary spike due to the holidays or part of an overall trend. I wonder if Saturn prices will fall when the CD-less Saturn flash card is released. I thought Guardian Heroes being released on XBL would have lowered the Saturn price a bit but it didn't really seem to slow it down.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

GB and GBA emulators with a front end?

I loved the DDR knock off DC home brew:

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Think of all of the money you'll save not buying carts.

*continues buying carts*

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

The camera isn't one of Freedom Planet's speedrunning problems. Dropped frames during enemy parries and input bugs are.

https://youtu.be/ZdZmnlYOQrA

https://youtu.be/-8L9KX8ahdY

https://youtu.be/iaahc0eGqBE

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

People unwrapping new CIB retro video games is my new ASMR

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

I couldn't find a Popful Mail iso (only .bin and .cue) and after converting it never matched the MD5 they insisted you need for the patch to work. I gave up after an hour :(

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Does anyone have any advice for buffing out / removing scratches from arcade cabinet glass? They are relatively minor but I figured I would ask here before trying metal polish or something.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Unfortunately, Game Sack may not be For You

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Panic Restaurant posted:

Alrighty, so based on no one mentioning it I'm going to assume it's not worth trying to fix the screen on a PSP. The Go is tempting, but I have a pretty decent collection of UMD's because I am a rube. So I'll probably just use this as an excuse to upgrade to a PSP-3000. Thanks for the help!

I had an iPhone fix-it shop that was willing to replace my PSP-2000 screen when mine began to fade around the edges. This was after breaking the tab on my already dead spare on a trial run. Be gentle when you open it / pull out the LCD ribbon.

• Locked thread