Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The DC SD is extremely bad. Horrible compatibility, and if a game does work, it has insane load times and pop-in. Do not buy it to play games. Just buy a spindle of CD-Rs if you want a cheap way to play games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

mike12345 posted:

How is the 3D gamepad for Saturn? I'm really impressed by the standard Saturn gamepads, they're my favourite, so I'm thinking about buying one of those as well. They look goofy & cool.

It's good for what it is, but the 3D stick isn't terribly compatible with that many games. It works great with games that explicitly support it well like Nights and Burning Rangers, but it's really awful when it comes to controlling the games that it's "technically" compatible with, like racing games or Panzer Dragoon. But if you need a second controller, it's got a better D-Pad than the original garbage USA Saturn controller, and it's a gaming buddy's preferred controller for Saturn fighting games, so it's definitely not a bad thing to own. It feels comfortable enough in the hands, anyway.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Are PVM-style LCDs (specifically the Panasonic BT LH1700WP or its ilk) good for hooking up older consoles to, or are they a sorry substitute for a CRT equivalent?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Speaking of d-pads, has anybody else had issues with the Neo Geo CD gamepad's joystick? I feel like every one I've ever used has issues with the directional contacts getting rusty. I love the feel of it, it's just a shame it's so high-maintenance.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I genuinely love both games and I disagree. DK Jr's chain stage is the best stage in any of the games, and the spark stage is better than the pie factory, but Donkey Kong is an altogether better package.

I also like Donkey Kong 3. Popeye, however is a stinker.

You know what's the worst Nintendo arcade game? Punch Out. It's confusing and the constant screams of "Body blow! Body blow!" are enough to drive anyone nuts.

Surprisingly cool Nintendo arcade game? Vs. Balloon Fight which is an even bigger version of Balloon Fight. I still like Joust better, though.

It's messed up that they never gave Arm Wrestling the Mike Tyson's Punch-Out treatment

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

UnhandledException posted:

Never knew anyone that owned a Neo Geo, so that makes sense. The way emulators displayed on my CRT TV was just not authentic enough, 240p over a PS4 seems like the right decision.

Added to my queue!

I'd also recommend Street Hoop (aka Dunk Dream), a very fun basketball game. Not quite at the level of Baseball Stars 2, but still extremely fun and definitely worth playing.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Vertical force is fun

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

wa27 posted:

Stopped at Goodwill today and they had a Master System for $50:

Normally $50 is too high for a Goodwill purchase for me, but I've never actually seen a Master System in real life before. And it's in nice shape - even still has the film on the console and the stupid screw-in thumb sticks.

Unfortunately I can only play it with RF right now because the HD Retrovision cables, while they do work with the console, it doesn't play nice with my TV on the Master System. Guess I'll have to finally buy a Sega AV cable.

Cool find. Don't forget to play Snail Maze

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

:staredog:

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

If my SNES is compatible, is there any reason why anyone should buy one of the ~$15-20 SCART cables instead of one of the $3 ones? Or are the $3 ones totally fine?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Also it wouldn't make sense to use FDS sounds from Doki Doki Panic because it has different, worse music than SMB2.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

"Grrr.... gently caress playing for stars in Game and Watch Gallery 4! It takes twenty minutes for the games to speed up to be challenging but at that point you're only one fifth of the way to the required points! I'll get get an Action Replay or Game Shark so I can unlock everything...

":eek: When did cheat devices for the GBA become absurdly expensive?!"

I've played that game on and off since it came out, and by last year had like 80% of the stars in that game and was starting to unlock more and more secret games, primed for 100%. Then my save got corrupted and I now have no will to touch it any longer.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt it'd be something portable. If the main draw was going to be playing on the toilet you could already do that with the Jaguar.

:golfclap:

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

Whats the best 'end of life' game to showcase the Genesis' ability? Monster World IV?

I always think Panorama Cotton looks very cool. I'm impressed by all of those Super Scaler style games, though.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

They are perfect and probably the last chance you'll ever get to get a brand new GameCube controller for a sensible price

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

You've got to play Die Hard Arcade. With a buddy if possible.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's extremely easy to convert PS1 isos to eboot files which will run on a modded PSP. The only hitch is the savestates/suspension. I think you can just suspend the PSP and pick up where you left later, but I'm not sure.

You can definitely suspend with a PSP. The PSP Go had a savestate-light feature (pause game), but it's poorly implemented. But a modded PSP is a perfect handheld PS1

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Not having the R2/L2 seems like a huge dealbreaker. How do you work around it?

The little thumb stick acts as the L2/R2. Pushing left or right uses one, pushing up uses both at once. It's not as bad as it sounds for most games (games like MGS or Power Shovel are totally playable and you can come close to forgetting that you're using a hanky control scheme) but I would never play Megaman Legends on a PSP or other games that require the D-Pad and the 2nd shoulder buttons at the same time.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Cliche Guevara posted:

I really don't get what the hell Nintendo is doing these days. The NES Classic was such easy money, why shoot the golden goose so quickly? Do they feel that the Switch is good enough that they don't feel they need to "exploit" their consumer base or something?

Someone please explain. I'm clearly missing something.

Somebody in the thread made a pretty good guess: the device stopped production exactly six months after its introduction, so it seems like one of the third parties on board (maybe Capcom, maybe Konami, maybe Namco, maybe all of them, who knows) had negotiated strict terms and didn't want Nintendo indefinitely selling their games for what must have obviously been a pretty low price, considering how cheap the Classic retails for. Six months is a timeline that sounds straight out of a contract. Once it obviously became a huge hit, one or more of the third parties probably tried to renegotiate for a bigger cut of the profits, which left Nintendo in the uncomfortable position of doing one of three unappealing things:

1. Paying a larger cut on licensing and either breaking even or losing money on each unit sold. This would be dumb.
2. Raising the price on the Classic. Though this might make sense on the surface (these resell for $150+ on eBay), pricing psychology is more complicated than that. If the Nintendo Classic raises its price, consumers might feel like they're getting ripped off. Then there's a chance that Nintendo and retailers are stuck with these things rotting on their shelves. This is super risky and may hurt their image.

3. Nintendo making a second NES classic with different, cheaper games. If they replace Mega Man 2 with Clu Clu Land, people will feel cheated, get confused and upset with their purchases, and may not buy the new Classic. OR if the new games are too good, people will be mad that they bought the original and Nintendo loses good will. Nobody wants this to happen.

It's all speculation, but all it takes is one third party to bring the whole thing down.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

If you have a Model 1 Saturn (oval buttons), the swap trick is beyond trivial and doesn't require any additional hardware. But probably just set up the Pseudo Saturn, the extra RAM in the Action Replay lets you play all the best import games.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Jaguar:
Tempest 2000
AvP

CDi:
uhhh the zeldas, ironically?

3DO:
Way of the Warrior, ironically?
...Zhadnost?

I heard that the 3DO Road Rash is good

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Please play Penguin Land

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/866285758428176385

This ad made me wonder if there's ever been a shmup that uses a trackball to maneuver.

Does Centipede count as one?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

All New Sonic posted:

Not the worst game I've ever played, but the Earthworm Jim GBA port was the only game I've ever returned to the store.

Bad ports are their own brand of awful because you know what you should be getting, and you know you're not getting it. Not quite retro, but the 3DS Rayman Origins port might be the game I've hated most immediately. Less than a minute in, and I realized I'd been duped. It feels like you're playing a low-res Bink video.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I've been getting in to Virtual On for the Saturn, and I like it, but I find the controls wildly janky. Should I just power through it (and is there a suggested control scheme? I'm using E, the one that replicates the twin sticks using the buttons as a second d-pad), or do the PS2/PS3 ports do a significantly better job of replicating the way it's meant to be played?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

My eyes made a beeline for "Snake" and I was not disappointed.

Also, kinda cool but surprising that the list includes Master System games like "Fantasy Zone" and "Fantasy Zone: the Maze." Maybe it'll accept the Power Base Converter...

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Wizgot posted:

What are the best 2-player games on the SNES and Genesis?

Toejam and Earl
Contra III

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Wizgot posted:

I want Toejam and Earl so bad but I'm not willing to shell out 50+ for a CIB copy.

Wow! When did it get so expensive?? Did some sleaze with an insufferable voice make a youtube video about it? I remember that game being only slightly less common than Not for Resale Sonic 2 and Madden games.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

IMO hands down the best 2P co-op game from that era is Goof Troop. Toejam and Earl is a lot of fun too. There's also Seiken Densetsu 3 (and possibly Secret of Mana?) if you want to buddy up for an RPG adventure. I don't recommend FF6 for this because the second player spends most of their time waiting for player 1 to get through plot poo poo.

FF6's 2 player mode is more of a 'little sibling' mode akin to playing as Tails in Sonic 2 & 3 as opposed to a full-fledged co-op experience.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Rirse posted:

After a few misfires, I managed to get backups of PS1 games working on my PS2. Now the thing is...what some hidden gems for the PS1 beyond some stuff I been wanting to play again like Brave Fencer Musashi, SaGa Frontier, Tobal, and Star Gladiator?

Warhawk, Hearts of Darkness, Crusader: No Remorse

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

wa27 posted:

Classics of Game has started posting videos again after disappearing for two years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhVRiADLyB8

Thank you and God bless

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There's also a floppy disk version of Dragon's Lair for the PC (I don't think they did Space Ace) which I recall being surprisingly functional.

The floppy disk version for 68k B&W Macs is the most insane port imaginable. It's also completely functional and unquestionably Dragon's Lair, but it's so bizarre and uncanny to play a hand-drawn laserdisc game in 1-bit dithered color that I'm not sure who the target audience was. Also, I remember it going way overboard with the manual-as-copy-protection, so you couldn't really get into the flow.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

xamphear posted:

Thank you
Thank you
Not you
Thank you
Thank you

The George Washington Bridge and Federal Hall are must-sees for any Metal Gear Solid fan. Also, it's not in Manhattan, but if you go to Brooklyn, the Lower East Side ecology center has an Apple IIe where you can play any cassette games you want for free, like a cracked Burger Time or a bootleg Pac Man

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Anyway, I have been playing some Neo Geo Color games. It seems like it was an interesting system. Like the missing link between the Gameboy and the Gameboy color.

I just picked up a copy of Densha de Go 2 for the NGPC. It's extremely impressive. It misses very little, and it's a much, much better port than I expected. I'd recommend it for Densha de Go fans looking for a fix on the go. But it's got serious palette issues in that it's a very hard game to actually see on the NGPC's non-backlit screen.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I know it's because of the classic appeal of vanilla SF2, but what bothers me most is that for $100, it's not even Turbo.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

This happened with my TV whenever I played a Neo-Geo game on the Wii.

You've probably worked past it at this point with an XRGB, but if you haven't, or if anyone is wondering, there's a trick to make Neo Geo games on the Wii output at 480i instead of 240p: press the home button, go into Operations Guide, connect a nunchuk to the Wiimote and press the Z, A, and 2 buttons at the same time. It'll stay that way for any Neo Geo games you play. To switch it back to 240p, press Z, A, and 1.

While I'm on the topic, one other neat hidden trick on the Wii Virtual Console for anybody who cares is if you want to play Dracula X Peke, the hidden goof game included in Rondo of Blood if you used the wrong System Card, open up Rondo of Blood, hit Home, press up+left on the dpad, hold 1+2, then select reset with the A button.

Edit: welp, at least I included the other trick

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Rirse posted:

Okay yeah I see what you mean about the VMU working just fine in the controller. Also got my Dreamcast working on my five dollar classic CRT monitor, which it looks CRAZY good on it. Only thing is, I heard some games don't work in VGA mode, is there a solution besides RGB which I just waiting on the HD Retrovision Dreamcast adapter for that.

Only like two games don't work in VGA mode; just use S-Video.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Not really retro but I just bought a PS3, can’t wait to dive into the library. Staying a generation behind is the way to go.

Just got mine last year, love it. I highly recommend the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, the Yakuza games, Catherine, Binary Domain, and both Hot Shots Gold games. Staying a generation behind is the true way of the thrifty retro gamer.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Tree Dude posted:

Do you think the emulation on the SNES classic will give the scene any clues toward getting games like Star Fox and Mario RPG running properly?

Unlikely; if the SNES Classic is anything like the NES one, the emulator is written extremely close to the hardware in assembly code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Also IIRC it's one of those unusual cases where the Japanese version is actually easier than the English version.

Is that unusual? I thought all the American versions of games were much harder back then to punish people renting video games.

• Locked thread