Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Since a few people mentioned streaming, I have been considering it for awhile, as well as getting some gameplay footage up on YouTube for games that are lacking good videos. Mostly just to give myself some structure in gaming, I have been sloppy in my game play lately, so I figure if I stream I'd be a little more intentional in my decisions/strategy and whatnot.

Anyways, my question is, I am considering getting the Elgato HD game capture unit. For older systems, is just using the Svideo adapter via AV-in good enough for streaming, or is an upscaler like the Framemeister really necessary? I could probably just use the Retron 5 via HDMI (though I'd prefer actual consoles), but for things like the N64 and GameCube I'd need to use Svideo until the GC plug n play component/HDMI adapters come out, if ever. Also, things like PS1 I'd need to compare using PSone (s-video) vs PS2 (component) vs PS3 (HDMI).

Thanks!

I think that for streaming it is fine, but obviously you will get better video quality from upscaling RGB trough the Framemeister. The same applies while capturing video to upload, with the added detail that the Framemeister will save you a lot of time as correctly upscaling 240p video to HD on your own can be time consuming and may requiere that you learn to use tools like Avisynth to properly deinterlace and upscale the video to HD. I mean, the Elgato can capture nice looking video on it's own, and you may find that you do not need to alter the video quality, but you can also get better results by tinkering with the resultant videos (HD stuff is fine without needing any modification).

I have not used the Elgato to stream S-Video stuff, only to capture to later edit in Premiere. If you are going to use the N64, or anything that outputs 240p, it will probably be best that you also include a CRT TV and a S-Video booster/splitter in your setup. The Elgato will attempt to send the 240p signal to your TV trough HDMI, so you can play in real time while the video is being recorded with a signficant delay in your computer, but it is possible that your TV might not accept this video signal trough HDMI or frequently black out during gameplay (this happened with an older Sony Bravia and a newer LG). In my setup, I connect the Saturn trough S-Video to the booster/splitter, then from the splitter one cable to the CRT and another to the Elgato.

Elgato includes it's own PS3 component cable that connects directly from the console to the device. It cannot capture video trough HDMI from the PS3. The benefit of recording PSOne content from the PS3 is that it will be nicely upscaled to High Definition, so you do not have to do anything for it to look as good as it can get. Please keep in mind that the Elgato cannot capture 240p content from component cables, only from composite and S-Video, so using the PS2 with the component cable will not work. Also, the S-Video cable for Elgato is sold separately (or at least that was my case a few years back).

Again, the Framemeister (or any other similar alternative device) is not necessary, and it is a very expensive solution, between the device and the necessary cables. It really depends on the video quality you want. The Retron may be the easiest route. It's going to depend on how the video quality feels to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Ofecks posted:

The best 2D golf game is Neo Turf Masters, by a wide margin. There are plenty of others to try, but this one is the easiest to play and the most stylish. Made by Nazca, same ex-Irem dudes who went on to do Metal Slug in '96.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color port is also pretty great.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
I was able to find for sale two Sony CRT monitors, the SSM-20l1 and SSM 20n5u. Both monitors do not have RGB input, but do have S-Video. Would it still be worth it to get any of these monitors? I already have a Sony TV KV-21FV300 with S-Video and Component inputs.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
Bought a Sega Genesis 2/SegaCD 2/32x combo from a local seller, with a controller, a joystick and 2 games, one of those is a CIB Toughman contest for the 32x. The SegaCD could not read discs, and made loud clicking noises. The other genesis game and the controller only managed to work after I cleaned them thoroughly. The seller took the console back, told me he cleaned the SegaCD and it worked again.

The combo was missing the 32x cable. Purchased online a 32x patch cable, but had to cut the 5v pin myself on both ends because the cable was not the one from Sega. Took me a while to find small enough nail clipper to make the cut on both ends. Tested for a while and everything seemed to work great, except now the AC Adapter for the Sega CD makes a buzzing sound whenever it is connected to the outlet.

Also, the SegaCD makes a loud clicking noise every once in a while, regardless of it being turned on, off or disconnected from the AC Adapter. It has done it three times while I type this. Is it haunted? It is probably going to be easier to find a priest to exorcise the console than finding another original AC adapter in my country or another Sega CD.

I purchased the SCART to component transcoder mentioned a few pages ago, the one with no pots. Mine only displays a pink heavily distorted image on my Sony CRT and no image at all with my brother's LG TV that can identify 240i or my old Sony Bravia. The seller tells me the device may not be getting enough power, told me to get a multimeter. Now I'm just waiting for further instructions from him. Never had this much bad luck buying retro game stuff.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Elliotw2 posted:

The clicking on a Sega CD model 2 is most likely just a noisy focus motor, though it could be dying and need replaced eventually. The Sega CD PSU humming is also pretty normal just due to the age of the coils, and if you want to replace it you can order a Sega Trio AC adapter or just find a Sega 1602 adapter.

I also have no idea what you mean by clipping the 32x patch cable, since any that fits into the socket should work. It's not a generic design or anything.

The generic patch cable I purchased had all of the pins, including the +5VDC. As a result, the 32x could not display anything, and could not be turned off by pressing the power button on the Genesis. I found a thread on the Racketboy forums (http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=471766) where they had this illustration and offered the solution to this problem. I honestly do not understand why a cable that seems manufactured in bulk had this flaw, but at least it could be fixed.

azurite posted:

For the buzzing power supply, I've been testing this with my PC Engine and Sega CD with success so far. Doesn't get as hot, and no loud buzzing to speak of (unlike the popular Velleman adapter, in my experience). It's also UL-listed, so it most likely won't burn your house down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: It's also worth noting that I've heard the plastic cases shifting as the systems got warm. Maybe that could be what you heard.

Looks good and can be shipped to my country farily cheaply. There is a local seller that is offering online the 1602, but if we cant reach a deal, is good to know there is an alternative. While I get a replacement, is it safe to continue using the buzzing AC Adapter? I plugged it into the wall without the console a few times today and did not made a sound.

I heard the noise from the console at least two more time during the night, and it makes sense that the plastic case is shifting, as I had not used the complete unit combined for more than a few minutes to test, and this time I left it on for a couple of hours, alternating between CD titles and the two carts. Guess I'll tell the padre to stand by with the crucifix until further notice.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
The Sega Genesis original 6 button controllers are increasingly hard to find in my country. Most are expensive and in bad shape. So I have began to wonder how good a replacement would be the wired Atgames 6 button pads that come with their consoles.

I know that the Hyperkin controller is okay, but has flawed diagonals, according to reviews, and that the Tomee controller is useless. For the price of a single Hyperkin controller or almost the price of a used controller in my country, I could buy a new older Atgames console with two controllers.

Would this be a good plan? Are the wired Atgames controllers better than the Hyperkin? How do they compare to the Sega controllers?

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
I have tried on and off for a while with basiegaxorz and then later it's replacement, SecondBASIC, both basic compilers for the Genesis. It felt pretty great to be able to create simple graphics on Photoshop and then being able to see them runing on Kega. Maybe once I get an everdrive I will feel more motivated to continue. I'm no coder, so even basic can be a bit of a challenge for me, and the community is (and has always been) kind of very small.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
I have been trying to get a scart cable for the Genesis 2, but retrogaming cables seems to have been out of stock for weeks, and have not seen retro_console_accessories sell them, either. Are there any other recommended sellers of RGB scart cables?

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
A few years back I purchased an ElGato HD since it can capture 240p over s-video and composite. Now that I have upgraded from composite to SCART and a YpBPr transcoder, I was thinking that in the specific case of the Genesis, it would be best to convert from YpBPr to S-Video so I can still gain some better video quality over composite.

Unfortunately I will not be able to afford this year a good upscaler or to switch from ElGato to the startech video capture device.

Is there an affordable solution to transcode from YpBPr to S-Video? Doing a mod to my 32x is out of the question due to my lack of technical skills, and being outside the US makes sending the console to someone to mod it quite expensive.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
Happy to see Master System recommendations, as I also recently received a Mega everdrive x5 too. Check the European library. Speaking of Double Dragon, Renegade is nice port of the arcade. Master of Darkness is fun Castlevania clone.

Is it possible to use a master system light gun with the mega everdrive? Some people say that master System games on the mega everdrive will not work with the phaser.

BTW was Power Instinct released on America? All the Roms I have found are from the Japanese version. The Genesis library does not seem to have as many fighting games as the SNES.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
Yes, it will work, but you will need to physically modify the back of the converter to fit the Genesis 2. The one I had was already modified, did not realize it until I received the package from the online seller many years ago.

There is an European variant that fits the Megadrive 2. And I believe there are third party recent alternatives that is just the board, so it fits any backwards compatible console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Shadow Hog posted:

Model 3s only support monoaural, don't support any add-ons (so no Power Base Converter, Sega CD or 32X for you), don't support all games 100% (Virtua Racing, notably, won't work) and doesn't even support RGB when all other revisions do.

I can confirm that Genesis 3 consoles do output RGB without any modifications. Bootleg Genesis 3 consoles may need it, tough.

Although mono audio only, it still sounds way better than the model 2 with long metal plate . Allegedly it's video encoder for composite is better than most Genesis consoles.

I wish I could do the mod to also run Master System games. I really like the model 3. If it had stereo it would be perfect.

• Locked thread