Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

I'd say Mystic Quest is worth playing. It's baby's first RPG but there's zero grinding and the music rocks.

I also think Shadowrun is worth playing as it's the most unique RPG on the console from a design standpoint. It can get hard and obtuse at points but my rule for playing basically any RPG pre-PS2 era is with a podcast on and strategy guide on my phone.
Mystic Quest is IMO one of the most underrated FFs. Yeah it's easy to a point that's almost insulting, and the story is the most boilerplate, bog standard FF/JRPG affair, but the music is rad and it's surprisingly charming in in its setting. I love being able to change the seasons by beating the bosses in each area, and how that ultimately unlocks new areas or abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the look of at least DKC2 more than tropical freeze, which had a very boring asethetic IMO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm starting to learn that the Blinking Light Win mod for the NES, while dramatically increasing the success rate of getting games to play, is still liable to both humidity/heat and the generally thick PCBs of NES games and need to get bent back inwards with pliers or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was honestly shocked how much better RGB/XRGB systems looked compared to their counterparts on the VC. N64 games I would imagine still look best on the VC though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Man, I just got my Framemeister (no room for a CRT in the apartment I'm afraid) and even running straight RCA I'm pretty pleased with the results over the garbage mottled sprites I got with a direct connection. Now I just need to get this N64 modded to spit out RGB and I'll be set...
Don't be like me and spend several months with the Framemeister not set to output 1080p60.

Also look up the pre-made profiles, they'll save you the trouble of having to worry about individual settings.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought the original reason that the XRGB was discontinued was that Micomsoft was going to come out with a 4k upscaler or something of that nature.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The XRGB news is actually quite unsettling, because sooner or later 4k TVs will presumably replace their 1080p counterparts more or less across the board. While I assume/hope that the upscalers in these 4k sets are a lot better, and going 1080p->2060p using the existing XRGB is still probably an improvement over say trying 240p/480p directly into the TV, that's still some extra lag being introduced. I hope somehow, if not Micomsoft, still steps up the place down the road with a 4k upscaler.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I think 4k is a good size for upscaling because it means the pixels will be the correct size but I don't think it helps with lag or anything.
Exactly, I wasn't aware of any sort of "hit" to the process of not having it be a clean integer multiple other than the resulting pixels would have to be a bit blurred to fill the screen and not have that super clean/sharp look. The set's lag in its upscaler would be unchanged unless I'm grossly misunderstanding the process. The XRGB itself of course also introduces lag but it's supposed to be far less than the 1080p sets of the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Earthbound is probably the one white whale that I'd love to have in my collection but probably never will. It's an archaic game in a number of ways that makes playing it in 2017 kind of frustrating, but I still more or less enjoyed my time with it. Having played it on the VC, Shantae on the other hand is nowhere near good enough to justify the cost IMO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You'd best watch what you say about the best version of Tetris

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sir Tonk posted:

:stare:

I guess maybe it isn't all that great if you don't have any friends.
It has been the #1 crowd pleaser at every party I've hosted

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I also had one of these and preferred using it over my Nintendo controllers, because by a certain point all of those control sticks had been ground to dust.

But that said it did develop its own debilitating flaw for me: the Z button stopped being able to "click" in and instead just became very mushy, eventually become somewhat unreliable in terms of the button presses actually registering. A controller like this but with the original Z button would be the ideal N64 controller IMO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How "old man yells at cloud" is it that my first reaction was that I liked it a lot more in 16bit?

Honestly the only Mana news that could get me excited was some sort of official English release of Seiken Densetsu 3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The heat death of the universe will occur before SD3 and Mother 3 come out in English officially.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nephzinho posted:

Did anyone besides for me love Quest 64?
I decisively do not love it, but something about that game hooked me when I rented it to an extent that I felt I had to go out and buy it almost immediately. It did not take long for buyer's remorse to set in afterwards.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
AM2R is legitimately one of the best Metroid games ever made. I'd still say Super is better but that might just be nostalgia and it's more than a good fight between it and Zero Mission. It doesn't do anything particularly revolutionary or different other games in the franchise do, but it clearly knew exactly what elements do and do not work and is well designed around them. I am sure the 3DS game will be fine/great but Nintendo would be right to want to sweep AM2R under the rug as a point of comparison.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I use Gambatte or whatever it's called in Retroarch and was super confused why it wasn't working since it still plays juuuuust enough to make me think the patched worked. mGBA works just fine after all is said and done.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Other d-pads may be worse but I will always hate the 360's the most thanks to it becoming the defacto controller to use on a PC, which I struggled against for years by using a variety of 3rd party controllers, Joy2key, and even a DualShock 2 with an adapter. There was eventually a game that even that setup could not defeat (I want to say it was Ori) and so I finally buckled and it was beyond acceptable. Thankfully DS4Windows has solved that issue once again and I hear the Bone's pad is a lot better anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This happened with my TV whenever I played a Neo-Geo game on the Wii. Something like a XRGB should more or less make this problem permanently go away, until I guess 1080p has the same problem down the line.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still exclusively play DS games on my Lite. I dislike any of the scaling on the 3DS and while normally I don't care about black borders, it's awkwardly implemented when you also have a touch screen to worry about.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can confirm the UltraHDMI is cool as hell; de-blur is how I play pretty much everything. In my case my hand was almost forced because for whatever reason my TV just hated the standard composite/s-video/RGB output of my N64, and had a consistent stutter/artifact appear every 10 seconds or so. I eventually determined it was because of the synch/refresh rate being off just enough, but there was not much I could do outside of forcing it to 60Hz (which caused some issues of its own) or take the plunge on an UltraHDMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I've seen equal amounts of people on both sides of FFIV DS.

Personally, I love it, because I appreciate both the increased difficulty and the additional options you can do with the augment abilities. The latter unfortunately requires looking up where they are and how to distribute them, but having already played the game a half dozen times previously I didn't mind doing so.

My ideal FFIV would be the gameplay in DS with the SNES/GBA look.

• Locked thread