Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Star Man posted:

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: the Fighting Edition is a pretty okay licensed IP game.

I remember liking this, though I only ever played it at a friend's house. I had the Genesis game, which was also a fighting game. It's probably not worth playing these days, but it was good enough to not disappoint me at the height of my Power Rangers obsession. Even then I knew the original SNES title was awful, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Journey to Silius belongs to a class of mediocre-at-best games elevated closer to greatness by awesome soundtracks. See also: NES Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Genesis versions of Midnight Resistance and Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. And Chrono Cross for a lot of people, though I love it warts and all.

Way back when the quality of NES emulators was a lot less consistent, I used Journey to Silius to evaluate them. This is why I stuck with the Mac emulator GrayBox for a long time despite awful mapper support and a lack of features. It just didn't sound nearly as good in any of the other available options.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 27, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The only Rot3K games I've really gotten into were 4 and 6, and the only one I've ever finished a playthrough of was 6.

6 almost felt like it was strictly an upgrade from 4, but the foreign tribes completely dictated how every game would go. They had the most powerful unit types, had no officers you could capture/execute, and fully refreshed their population of soldiers at a rate faster than any ruler could. If they attacked your city, and you didn't have an army that could completely wipe them out, and have enough troops to retaliate and conquer them on your next turn, the only sane option was to abandon your city and not even attempt to fight them. The AI rulers would always attempt to engage them in battles of attrition, and thus had no hope of developing a force that could oppose you. Many of the most important rulers and officers would be dead before they had a chance to do anything. Knowing this, you could start as the weakest ruler on the map, make your top priority acquiring enough officers/soldiers to conquer the nearest foreign tribe (and thus able to recruit armored horsemen/hillmen), and be in a position advantageous enough to make the game effectively unloseable less than a year into your campaign. You get to conquer China at your leisure as the AI repeatedly wipes itself out.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Though they were ultimately unsuccessful, I applaud Working Designs' attempts to make Vay an interesting game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

wa27 posted:

I don't even know what color the sky is in SMB.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/2068-50/victorian-trim?color=2068-50

Edit: It's a great idea if you don't mind answering the question "is your wall supposed to be that color" from anyone who doesn't immediately recognize it. Also it looks awful in warm lighting.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 6, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Death of Rats posted:

I was given a PAL NES the other day, and subsequently bought an Everdrive N8 to go in it. So, once I'm done with the classics (Mega Man, SMB, Kirby, Zelda et al.), which of the other ~300 UK released games should I actually play? I don't really have the patience for a NES-era RPG, but other than that I'm happy to play anything.

Ufouria is probably the best NES title that was released in Europe but not the US. It's a cute Metroidvania sidescrolling adventure that's held up really well, aside from one really frustrating section.

I'm not the biggest shmup enthusiast, but Over Horizon has to be one of the very best on the system.

Rod Land is a pretty good game that's similar to Bubble Bobble.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

Also played some Lufia: Fortress of Doom tonight and holy poo poo that game is grindy as a whole bag of gently caress.

This was one of the first RPGs I fell in love with, so every time I go back and try to replay it I realize I've forgotten about this, as well as inconveniences like the lack of automatic retargeting. But it's still a totally charming game with a lot of character, an unforgettable ending, and an intro that's so good they made a prequel out of it. What I'm saying is it's an absolute blast if you're a 10-year old with all the time in the world who hasn't gotten bored of JRPG conventions yet.

For everyone else, just skip it and play Lufia II with the bugfix patch.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 24, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I've always felt that the overworld music from Final Fantasy Adventure is one of the best and most unforgettable themes I've ever heard in a game. Like, it feels like it would be considered one of the most iconic pieces of game music if it were attached to something with Mario/Zelda levels of popularity.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
YouTube is blocked for me at work, but I don't have to click the link to know it's Crystal Castle.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

FilthyImp posted:

or how to unlock ERMAC in MK2.

I know about the whole Ermac/error macro thing , but it just now occurred to me that the eventual character's weird fighting style (gravity manipulation, uppercutting multiple heads off his opponent) was probably inspired by glitches.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

I can promise you that Gauntlet 2 is not the worst NES/Famicom game (I still give that title to the Japanese game about a real-life sexual predator rescuing real-life 12-year-old girls), though you're probably the only person other than myself who prefers NES Gauntlet 1 to its sequel.

Wait—what game is this?

Also I'll always have a soft spot for Gauntlet 2 because it was my introduction to the series, and it was one of the NES games I played the most with my best friend at the time. We stayed up late trying to finish it one night and eventually noticed that the levels had started repeating at some point.

Honestly, I like a lot of the NES games commonly regarded as bad.

Clunky, punishingly difficult action adventure games have always held my interest, so Hydlide, Deadly Towers, Castlequest, Milon's Secret Castle, etc. wouldn't even make it on my list of the worst NES titles.

Spelunker is downright addictive once you get used to the notoriously fussy controls and ways in which it defies common video game logic—and recent revivals prove there were always the elements of a good game there.

My picks for the worst of the worst would probably be the hideously incompetent ports like Micronics' Ikari Warriors II and Ponycanyon's Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny. (I'm a fan of their versions of Ultima III and IV, though.) Or if unlicensed titles count, the worst has to be some Color Dreams/Bunch/Wisdom Tree turd like Robodemons or Castle of Deceit.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 31, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Oh, get Ys 3 anyway and just listen to the sound test. :v: Also Ys 3 isn't a truly bad game so much as it is a really shallow one. It's not compelling, but it isn't at all painful to play.

I played through Beyond Oasis for the first time a couple years ago and had a blast, so I'd say that's a good sign it's aged well. It's not too long, and has a surprising amount of obscure hidden stuff.

Also on the action RPG front, I would recommend Light Crusader. It's too short and has always existed in Landstalker's shadow, but it's fun and still inexpensive to acquire.

Mak0rz posted:

SMW, Yoshi's Island, LttP, Super Metroid, and SMRPG.

My parents didn't let me have a lot of games but at least I had good taste. Their money was not wasted!

I still kinda feel bad about my parents buying me ACME Animation Factory at full price. :doh:

Also I've never owned SF2: The World Warrior, but that's just because Turbo was already out when I got into Street Fighter. Super SF2 was the first video game I bought on launch day.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 7, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
If you're enamored with Laser Lords for some reason, don't forget there's also an Alice in Wonderland game on cd-i that plays just like it.

I do wish more games made use of that keyword-based conversation system. The only other ones I can think of off the top of my head are SNES Shadowrun and, uh, Final Fantasy 2.

The PSP release of Final Fantasy 2 had a huge bonus dungeon based on the keyword system and I kind of loved it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 23, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

TheRedEye posted:

I kinda like having an avatar with what is probably the most obscure Nintendo character possible.

"Alice & Ape III" kinda sounds like a weird/bad Amiga platformer, and I'd assumed it was something along those lines until I happened to watch a playthrough of Arm Wrestling.

I personally would've gone with the hobo-looking proto-Wario from Wrecking Crew.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 28, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Oh, man, nobody's said Baten Kaitos yet. Get Baten Kaitos if a beautiful JRPG with CCG mechanics and a prog metal soundtrack sounds like it would be up your alley.

They drastically changed the battle system for Baten Kaitos Origins and I didn't like it nearly as much.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I don't understand why you'd want to torture yourself playing 2D games on a GameCube controller even with the buttons mapped properly. It's the only Nintendo controller I can think of with a lovely d-pad too.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 30, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Discount Viscount posted:

Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II Turbo

I almost bought two of those 3DO Capcom Soldier controllers back when you could still place international orders with Surugaya. You can't remap the controls for SSF2 Turbo to work right with the more common 3DO 6-button controller, and—taking a quick peek at eBay—$170 just isn't worth it to have something worth playing besides CPU Bach and a burned copy of Lucienne's Quest.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 5, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Wamdoodle posted:

Mercenary Force lets the player have WAY more input than Bokosuka Wars ever would. Was this ever posted?

https://majornelson.com/2017/02/23/bokosuka-wars-ii-is-now-available-for-xbox-one/

Yeah, I was going to say, Mercenary Force looks nothing like Bokosuka Wars. Reminds me more of a sidescrolling Knightmare or King's Knight. Neat, though.

Bokosuka Wars II I'd probably actually buy if it were available for a different platform.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Caitlin posted:

Deja Vu and Univited are so, so much better than Shadowgate. I still own and love all three, but dang. I'd pick Univited anyday.

I also want to say Uninvited is the best of the three, but it might just be my affection for the haunted house setting. It's also the only one of the three that I finished without using a guide.

There's a rather nasty potential dead end (the ruby), but it's not too hard to figure out, happens pretty early on, and is probably the coolest/creepiest thing in the game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I still have a soft spot for the original Wizards & Warriors. It's not great, but the infinite continues certainly helped offset some of the bullshit difficulty that was common in games of its era. Plus the title screen music is the first piece of video game music I remember really loving.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Ofecks posted:

Apparently we got reverse-PAL'd - they run 10% faster than they should on NTSC consoles.

Oh my God, this makes so much sense.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

"What the gently caress did I just play?"

Thank you for sharing this. This is amazing. :allears:

Also that reminded me that despite wanting one for—oh god—over half my life now, I never did get a modded PS1. Just used a softmod for a couple of Japanese DDRs and Castlevania Chronicles, back when it seemed a 100% certainty that that wouldn't be localized. I should look into it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Here's a fun question for you all: what is the strangest voluntary-yet-compulsory behavior you find yourself doing in video games?

Super Mario Bros. 2:
1. if you get a Starman, enter subspace, and leave at just the right moment when the star is wearing off, the subspace music will continue to play. I do this whenever possible.
2. Running and jumping everywhere while crouching. This is most fun with Luigi and Princess, on ice.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
1. In the Slogra/Gaibon fight, trying to kill Gaibon first without touching Slogra.
2. Killing that Discus Knight in the Catacombs until he drops the Chakram, and using it as long as I can tolerate it. It's pretty much an immediately obsolete weapon, but it's neat, and there's very little else in the game like it.
3. Divekicking my way across Dracula's castle.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

I found these while on vacation in Santa Fe, and they're pretty rare, I think?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

absolutely anything posted:

well i meant genesis games yeah obviously sonic 06 is the actual worst thing with the word sonic on it, but as bad as wacky workbench is boy fuckin sandopolis is just the loving worrrrrrst

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of my favorite games of all time, but to this day I'll sometimes get stuck in a loop in Sandopolis Act 2 until I time out. Even so, I don't think it's a terrible level, just an unusually stressful and confusing one. It almost feels like it belongs in Donkey Kong Country.

Labyrinth Zone was where Sonic 1 ended unless I used the level select when I was a kid, but I actually really like it now. Scrap Brain Zone still messes me up, though.

Your enjoyment of the Sonic 2 special zones depends completely upon whether or not you're playing as both Sonic & Tails.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The GBA version is still the definitive release of FF5, isn't it? I never played the mobile/PC releases of the SNES FFs, but I know they're not highly regarded, and I don't know if there's more to that than the updated graphics being kind of lovely.

I think from a gameplay perspective FF5 has held up the best out of all the classic FF games. And I find the story charming, though that doesn't really come across in Square's original translation or the fan translation.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 23, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I could not find which one was regarded as the definitive version but the one or two results I found from google were that the RPGe translation patch for the SNES is the best one, followed by the GBA one, and the PS1 version in last place. This coming from a guy who played all 3 translations. I know there is a patch called DeJap as well but I think that's the one from the 90s so it might not be as refined as the RPGe one. I do not know any of this for sure, though.

Speaking as someone who's played the fan translation, PSX version, and GBA version, the GBA version is definitely the way to go then. The fan translation wasn't cringingly bad like the PSX version's translation (in which one of the main characters talks in a bad pirate voice the entire game), and I don't remember it being wannabe-edgy like a lot of other fan translations, but the GBA version's translation is excellent, and the content they added to the GBA version (including a couple of new classes) is all good as well.

Even taking into account my massive nostalgia bias toward FF6 and 7, I want to call 5 the best game in the series. It's just really fun, and you'll probably never play it the same way twice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

EnvyJ posted:

Due to limited funds as a child and not caring I skipped over all the SNES RPGs and have only played through some of Super Mario RPG, please suggest where I should start!

TeaJay posted:

Chrono Trigger.

Also Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, but it's essential that you use a ROM with the bugfix patch. Prioritize this even over ChronoTrigger if you like puzzles a whole lot.

I'd recommend reading a Let's Play of Earthbound rather than actually playing it yourself, unless you have a lot of patience for grinding and strict inventory limits.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 24, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

al-azad posted:

I also think Shadowrun is worth playing as it's the most unique RPG on the console from a design standpoint. It can get hard and obtuse at points but my rule for playing basically any RPG pre-PS2 era is with a podcast on and strategy guide on my phone.

There's so much I love about SNES Shadowrun, but it drags really, really badly after about the first 1/3, and I burned out trying to replay it recently. Bremerton loving sucks, and that's not even one of the parts that I remembered being particularly bad.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Not that I have any desire to ever play it again, but was any reason given for the conspicuous absence of Mega Man & Bass?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Not just Robin Williams, but specifically Robin Williams in Toys.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Roll-jumping with Diddy was definitely a thing in DKC1—I remember having to do that a lot. For tricky jumps like that in DKC2 you'd just use Dixie instead.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

mycophobia posted:

that's the thing: these secrets are random; they just pop up like its a board game. whereas smw's secrets belong to the world you're traveling in. basically in the long run it contributes more to an immersive game world to be told that you can explore and find hidden routes than it is to just randomly collect all the coins in 1-4 and have a bonus game pop up.

To this day, I still have never had a white mushroom house appear in SMB3.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

Really? I get a few when I just play normally.

I don't remember if the old Mario Mania guide didn't tell you the precisely correct way to get it or if I couldn't follow instructions properly, but I was never able to get one to appear when I was a kid even when I was trying for it. Never accidentally triggered one either, though I've had the coin ship appear lots of times.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Novasol posted:

1) What would you do when confronted with this scenario and needing to come up with a completion criteria for this game?

Give up and move on unless I am being paid to be angry at games on the internet.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Novasol posted:

About that, I've been streaming it, so, :negative:

Okay, then, how entertaining is your continued misery vs. just playing another game? :v:

Maybe change your criteria so that in exceptional circumstances you can put a game aside and come back to it after x number of games? That way you're not technically abandoning it, and maybe in the meantime you can practice it off the stream and see if you can't figure out a new strategy that works.

Edit: If it's truly impossible, find an entertaining Game Genie code that makes it winnable.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 21, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Fire Striker might be the best co-op game on SNES, and checking eBay prices, I see people have finally figured that out.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Allen Wren posted:

Battle Hunter is good if you get three other nerds to play a competitive/co-operative anime roguelike boardgame.

I so badly wish they let you actually progress through story mode with more than one player. Or that the game didn't routinely generate boards where one player has an enormous advantage because of their starting position. Battle Hunter is a frustrating mess that comes so close to being a truly great game, and it's just infuriating.

As far as the rest of the A1 Games releases go, Star Sweep is excellent, Crossroad Crisis is decent, Billiards and Chess are adequate, and I've heard good things about Top Shop and Sanvein but haven't played them myself.

Edit: Other PS1 hidden gems—

Adventures of Lomax - very pretty Lemmings spinoff 2D platformer
Geom Cube - It's 3D Tetris. Absolutely guaranteed to give you a headache.
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns - I'm not sure how hidden a gem this is. I think it was pretty popular on PC in its day, but I haven't seen anyone mention it in ages. The PS1 version has remixed music and extra levels, and at the very least it's another good game with a level editor.
Viewpoint - The only isometric shooter not named Zaaxon that I can recall off the top of my head. Interesting, but extremely difficult, and I think it doesn't run properly on PS2 and/or PS3.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 28, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
In complete seriousness, does there exist a better game that's along the same lines as Battle Hunter? Because I desperately want to play that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm redecorating my nerdroom. Anybody know of a not-hideous way to display loose Game Boy carts?

• Locked thread