Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

Posting a reminder to myself to do a mega post on Japanese PC emulation because that's a brick wall to dive into.

Yes, but Totally-Original-Property-Starring-Two-Tough-Anime-Babes-In-Sci-Fi-Antics-Not-At-All-Inspired-By-Dirty-Pair game Trouble Shooter on Genesis is pretty good.

It might be better for the Retro Computing thread. Never not Falcom dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

It's hard to understate how expensive reproduction costs were for the first twenty years of video games. Those chips in your carts were not cheap. Not to mention the additional packaging and shipping costs. Those N64 carts cost about $15 to $20 to manufacture. Sony, OTOH, could press the disks for about $1 each and use standard CD manufacturing equipment to package them up. I doubt total manufacturing and shipping costs were more than $2 a game for Sony.

It's why nearly everyone went cd but Nintendo. It was cheaper. Yeah Japan players would pay 100 bucks or so for a Dragon Quest game in the early 90s and a handful of game starved Jrpg geeks might pay 75 for a SNES RPG. Most people would not. And still won't. Even in the computer space nobody paid 60 bucks msrp for an Ultima. They were 40 bucks Mail order and like 50ish at Software Ect.

And now with stuff like digital downloads and emulation there is far less need for expensive pricing outside of those people who must have legit game on legit hardware. For every one person happy to pay 140 bucks or so for R Type Delta there are 99 more who won't. ( They had it right next to RTypes which was 30 and I bought today. Rtype 1-2 for 30 is good if you want legit physical as opposed to whatever idiotic pricing getting them on the PC Engine would cost. Same store has had Rule of Rose for about the same price for months now. It ain't moving. Saturn House of the Dead however went fast. I just bought the graphics and game mode superior Win 9x version online for 15 shipped from Europe. I wasn't paying 75 for TG Dragons Curse. I'd be hard pressed to pay half that. Because I am cheap and have enough games to last me a lifetime anyhow.)

I went in for Donkey Kong Country for 20 as they had 3 copies a few weeks back but all were sold out. It was a sign to get one of my Psx hunted titles. I doubt I'll ever see Carnage Heart in store. They do have SNES Rampart and Civilization for 15 each I might grab finances depending in the next month or so. Hot Water Heater being replaced is a bajillion times more important than time wasting video games fun as they can be.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Cubey posted:

If/when you get around to adding the 2600 to the OP, make sure you include Atlantis in the 5 great games list because Atlantis owns bones.

Also include it in the Intellivision list if you ever make one (I mean you did write-ups on the 3DO and CD-i so might as well).

Or hell maybe I'll just do the write-ups for both since I'm seemingly like the only dude in these threads who gives a single poo poo about that era of gaming.

Do it. Because I don't want to. ( Also the easiest answer for good pre crash games on consoles is : pretty much every worthwhile pre crash game was made by Activision, Imagic, Parker Brothers, and some of the console makers on their home system. Although many of these games are superior on the home computers of the day. )

Also the Vectrex is your god and master and all should praise it.

Edit: if I had to make a quick top 5 for the 2600, Inty, and Coleco:

2600: Pitfall 2, River RAID, HERO, Cosmic Ark, Berzerk

Inty: Snafu, Space Battle, Astrosmash, Microsurgeon, Burger Time

Colecovision: Gorf, Montezumas Revenge, Zaxxon, HERO, Frenzy

For the 5200 I just recommend an emulator or the Atari 8 bit computers because the machine is unreliable and the joysticks come from Satan's taint. But 5 for it? Gremlins, Berzerk, River Raid, Miner 2049er, Pac Man. ( Serious DO NOT PLAY ON STOCK 5200 THAT WAY LIES PAIN.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 3, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The 7800 is the Uncanny Valley of game systems. It's got arcade and computer ports that are close to the originals but just different enough to feel... WRONG. Like the earlier consoles are weak enough that even ports had to be different and thus have a point, and newer ones could do the classics perfect. 7800 is in some middle ground. And unlike the NES and SMS Tramiel era Atari wasn't about to spend proper money on cart chips or really give developers the time and money they needed to make the hardware shine. ( And it can apparently push the gently caress out of sprites compared to the other two.)

This Atari would repeat these mistakes with the Jaguar. Decent hardware but devs didn't get the time and money to make you see what the machine could do. Don't believe me? Compare 1983 Famicom titles to say.. 1990 ones. Some chips and money/dev experience can do some stuff.

What I don't get in the same vein is the Colecovision Super Game Module. Go through the effort of buying one when they are put up for pre order to... Pay 50 bucks for MSX ports and NES games, the latter of which obviously are cut down. ( And you know, dubious IP legalities. To have single colored alien Galaga. IDGI.)

Apparently similar is in the works for the Intellivision. Hopefully it's at least ORIGINAL content.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

On another note about Nintendo taking down the NP mags and Metroid alterations: much like Blizzard serving C&Ds to people running vanilla WoW servers against the cries of its fanbase, the matter was "protecting their intellectual property rights", trying to discourage others from doing this, instead of condoning by means of inaction.

It makes sense, but it makes them a business, not an rear end in a top hat.

But Nintendo's way of doing business has always been high on the rear end in a top hat Scale. poo poo, they have always been like this. It's why I have many many issues with them as a company. They want to control everything and everyone else can gently caress off or start licking their sack. The Playstation 4 is pretty much in existence because of the poo poo Nintendo pulled. The HuCard. Tengen. It's how they do. They are a bit like Games Workshop only they generally make quality products. Albeit with multiple revisions and a long list of gimmick hardware add ons nobody likes. And they rarely support. ( Unlike Sega and Nokia the Big N gets away with it. Mainly because now and again we get a Super Game Boy out of it. Most of the time it's Super Scopes and E Readers far as the eye can see.. )

I mean they basically tried throwing Sega under the bus during the 90s hearings, fought tooth and nail to keep games from being rented, and their own attitude basically helped create Commander Keen. ( Which much like the HuCard and the Playstation is perhaps proof there is a divine being who doesn't completely hate us. Just mostly.)

Though does this make them the only douchebag game company? gently caress no. #fuckkonami exists for a reason. EA has always tried to be a shitlord since ah.. Like a month after the Madden Football series started shipping on the Genesis? Activision has gone even further from their noble beginnings into douchebaggery. Ubisoft and the terror of Uplay. Ocean and LJN/Acclaim rushing to see who could ruin more children's birthdays and Christmases with lovely licensed pap. ( Bandai and Takara in Japan would have but with different holidays I guess? I mean Ocean's Transformers game is poo poo. Takara's is more like Goatsce in videogame form. And probably cost 5x as much as a tape load game even the guy who did art for says was Garbo.)

Companies are bad. Big companies have bigger amounts of bad in them. THEY ARE HUGE AND HAVE HUGE GUTS RIP AND TEAR. ( Especially the fanboys like those people who cried when noted idiot shitlord Steve Jobs died. I'm sure Jack Tramiel is kicking his rear end daily in hell after he curb stomps some Nazis. :metal: )

Edit: So just play fun Videogames but accept the companies behind them are generally run by giant chodes. But the same can pretty much be said for most companies. Which is why I have a saying: "Never trust anyone with an MBA". I've even had one agree with this statement. He was pretty :smith: about it.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 9, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Shadow Hog posted:

Mmm, nah, even as a huge Sega fanboy, I have to concede the DPad for the stock three-button pad is pretty overly stiff. The six-button apparently uses similar internals to the Model 2 Saturn pad, and it definitely feels nicer. Smaller pad, though.

Just get either of the Arcade Sticks Sega made. Might want to swap the ball topper though. The ball is too big. I generally switched out a Turbostick topper. They are still relatively cheap. gently caress, my primary NES and SNES controllers are Advantages. And I've been playing Ur Quan Masters with a SF4TE stick lately. I prefer joysticks to control pads by and large.

Course I prefer American 90s bat tops so ymmv on the topper.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
My mag of choice was Videogames and Computer Entertainment. It was made by the people who did Electronic Games in the Pre Crash era and I would say Next Generation was the closest thing to a successor. Except unlike NG there was no hint of Wired like pretension.

They were critical of the game companies and would report the stuff they pulled. The mag initially reviewed games without scores and were more interested in talking about what's out now as opposed to poo poo IN THE FUTURE YOU PROBABLY WONT GET BECAUSE ITS A GUNDAM GAME IN 1990 type stuff.

They were talking up how great the Vectrex was even back then. Things like sex and violence in games. It wasn't trying to appeal to the small children that Gamepro was nor did they pander to console players and preview crap like EGM did.

Sadly the market liked EGM and slowly the magazine became more and more like that poo poo rag. ( Nintendo Power was propaganda but in those days their maps and walkthroughs alone made the publication worthwhile. )

I also loved Computer Gaming World for similar reasons but yet again Ron Paul's Free Market decided aiming for younger and dumber was better and PC Gamer won out there. :doom:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

univbee posted:

Nah, original media was always write-protected and you needed a set mind to get around that. Disks were always stupidly-fragile and I had a few games which specifically included a mail-in coupon you could send in with like :10bux: or something for a 2nd set of legit disks because they were extremely failure-prone.

Not always. Not even remotely. Lots of games didn't have separate save disks or play disks and expected you to save to the original disk. This could lead to problems though so eventually most publishers made systems to create play disks. A year or two ago a power issue caused my Atari 8 bit version of Autoduel to fart up because of such things. :smith:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Caitlin posted:

are you trying to compete with captain rufus now or what

Don't use my name in vain. Not my fault some of y'all don't even have the attention span to watch a goddamned Vine at this point. My posts are quality and full of knowledge, wisdom, and balance. I even break them up so as to keep thoughts organized and somewhat clearer to read. ( I used to make comic book style things but that requires effort and giving enough of a poo poo.)

ALSO N64 AND NO MENTION OF PAPER MARIO? The gently caress is wrong with y'all? It and Doom 64 are pretty much the reason I keep that thing around. Not that I want to play them on the actual machine mind you but it means I can also have Ogre Battle, Starfox, and Robotron plus Pokeymans Puzzle League which is Tetris Attacks on Crack. With Pikachu.

Then again I mostly want a PS4 just for the English subs in a couple Super Robot Wars games and would buy like Bloodborne and Little Big Planet 3 while I am at it....

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
https://youtu.be/0mn-4y8YrU4

A video by Guru Larry covering a few of these games that you can't complete because reasons. Unsurprisingly Ocean software is involved in a few. Because much like LJN/Acclaim, and Takara and Bandai their existence was based around ruining the joy of children.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Allen Wren posted:

Ugh. Now I'm depressed. I clicked on a stupid clickbait listicle because I was bored. It was "the most popular game the year you were born", so I figured I'd look at it, find its picks hilariously wrong, have a laugh about it. I click on the thing, bring up the first item.

It starts in 1982. I was born in `81. I'm old and irrelevant.

If it helps any DnD came out the year I was born. But yeah CRTs are really only needed for light gun games. But ya need at least a 19" set or it still sucks. Especially with Guncon games as they require and reward precision shooting. ( And now that I'm not IRCing Kthulhu5k can't try to get me to buy PMVs and various forms of Apple Hardware. It's much harder to enable me now. My spend shaming self hatred can't be eased as much this way! )

Everything else I generally just say gently caress it and emulate if my Composite Commodore monitor can't handle it. Madcatz SF4 TE stick for all the stuff. Ok Vectrex needs it's screen but it's built in. And owns. gently caress modding everything, spending poo poo tons of money on flash carts and controllers, and XRGB/Pmv shenanigans. I just want to play fun games as easily as I can and could give a deck of poo poo about scan lines. But I like owning legit versions of games so I'd rather my time and money go there as opposed to hacking poo poo to be what an emulator can already do.

(Even if I love having an original Atari 800. It's a giant ugly rear end beast of metal, metal, and more metal surrounded by shades of beige and brown. And I have a 130xe model too. I'd get a XEGS and an 800xl if I could rationalize such stupidity. I cannot. )

Light Guns and other gimmick controllers are really the only draws to original hardware and CRT stuff. Or ease of use/times where I don't want to turn the Windows 7 rig on. A quick hour on the Mac Plus? Sure! The main PC isn't turned on unless I have 4-5 hours of time for it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wii-style are more like moving a mouse cursor and clicking rather than actually aiming and hitting a target. It works fine with how it's generally used (a big honking crosshair on screen), but it's not quite as satisfying as shooting a falling leaf or UFO before your friend does.

It works ok in House of the Dead Overkill where if you have the right seating setup it's like you are Sex Machine in From Dusk Till Dawn and are shooting zombies with your gun codpiece but yeah.... Not exactly proper Time Crisis or Virtua Cop play.

It's a little like trying to emulate/simulate spinner paddle or trackball controls with a mouse. It works most of the time but.. It's still wrong and deep down your lizard brain KNOWS IT. "Uncanny Valley" of game controls if you will.

I guess for some folks that's why they need original hardware and CRTs to begin with. To their brains things feel off. To me it doesn't but given my first lookups on 1997 internet was pretty much emulation I have clearly been cool with that aspect of gaming. But I have never really had platform zealotry anyhow. IDGAF. I have always just wanted to play more fun games. ( Doesn't mean I don't have issues with most of the companies that made all this stuff mind you... )

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

absolutely anything posted:

lmao @ everything al-azad's posted in the last couple of pages

Yeah. How DARE he not like thing enough to tell all the distinctions!? What a goddamned monster.

But I am sure if y'all scream and yell and insult him why I am sure he will totally see y'all's point and not instead ignore anything you might have to say about a genre of Videogames. (Not everyone likes every genre or even every game in the genre. Others might just like one game in said genre and not give enough of a poo poo to explore the genre or even one series to see the differences. This could be to their own detriment but we all only have so much time and money. It's cool really. Sometimes sad and disappointing but.. It's ok. Really.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
If they are gonna bring back old classic arcade SHMUPs/franchises of such can I vote for the Cresta series?

(Moon, Terra, Terra 2.. possibly more.) Basically the second game which is like the most well known (ish) involves a fighter shooting at stuff including dinosaurs that can combine with other ships it finds as power ups to either be in a combined mode for extra hits and firepower increases, or spread apart forming a giant fleet of dakka. Get all the extra parts and form TOTALLY NOT PHOENIX MODE FROM GATCHAMAN (Battle of the Planets/G Force/Eagle Riders). The second Terra Cresta is a PC Engine SHMUP so it's prices even a couple years ago was 200+ so yeah. Terra Cresta had a NES port which obviously wasn't gonna match an arcade cabinet from the mid-late 80s, and it was one of those Arcade Center PS2 game releases which are also idiotically priced nowadays. (I know because it and Haunted Castle are ones I have had my eyes on.)

As a historian type and an arcade geek I really get salty in how many arcade releases that are as perfect as they reasonably could be got put out there but Japan only. I am lucky to have even gotten Sega Ages Memorial Selection 1 on the Saturn at a sane price. And I did that just for UpNDown. Because Flicky is bleh and who cares about Head-On? (I'm cool with Pengo on there though.) Volume 2 is even rarer and more expensive. And let's not even get into some of the PS1 and 2 collections like the SDI/Quartet one, or the Konami MSX Antiques.

Its fukken bullshit man. :doom: (Does remind me I still have to do that Antholgies effortpost one of these days. Maybe tonight if I can stop playing Fallout 1.5 for more than 30 minutes at a time. http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-15-resurrection I am playing a bruiser/heavy weapons specialist and it isn't easy going. But I finally can afford a Minigun and am about to enter a mission where I get chainswords and should have enough gear to sell afterwards to go get myself Combat Armor and can then go kill a fuckload of criminals...)

Beauregard Fitzgerald Kensington is growing up so fast. (His friends call him Beef, but the ladies call him the Big Kielbasa. :smug: )

vvvv Goddamnit! More reasons to buy a loving PS4 now. Bad enough I want it for Super Robot Wars OG MD and Bloodborne. vvvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 9, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

DoctorWhat posted:

99.99% of turn-based RPGs are bad, including every Final Fantasy that uses the formula.

The good turn-based RPGs that exist
>The Mario RPGs
>Chrono Trigger
>Earthbound*
>Mother 3
>Undertale I guess maybe but it's a stretch to count it
>Pokemon, arguably

*Combat is actually really mediocre, verging on bad, and the presentation is what just barely saves it, incl. auto-victory.

The entire genre is founded on gameplay mechanics that are user-hostile and the only way to make a good one is to break as many of those cliches as possible or massively underemphasize them in favor of more engaging mechanics - such as action commands, visual novel progress, raising virtual pets, or watching paint dry.

Turn based RPGs are the best RPGs. It's where Ultima 5, Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 4, and the first 2 Fallouts hail from. Also AdnD Gold Box, Wizardry, FF Tactics, Vandal Hearts, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, and many many more.

Real Time RPGs are BAD TIME RPGS with very few exceptions. (Legend of Grimrock being the only real notable one. Maybe PSO.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Allen Wren posted:

I never heard of Final Lap Twin until this exact moment and now I've never wanted anything more in my life.

The TG even has a Tennis RPG. World Court Tennis. You play Tennis rounds as combat. And there is a Tennis King. Because that is his name. There is some really odd poo poo on the Turbo. Sadly this platform has now become Neo Geo 2.0 in game pricing because Bougies ruin everything. On the upside my Godzilla game is worth like 400 bucks which could be used to buy many better games or even finally get a goddamned Vectrex. I've only been wanting one since 1983 or so. Playing on one at Retro World Expo 2015 didn't help any because now I want it more.

Someone needs to like make a Vectrex Truxton for Classic Game Room.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Caitlin posted:

lol "bougies"

Listen I am cool with idiots spending triple digits on old Videogames and other dorky nonsense. Because I can both mock and exploit dipshits with more money than sense. (Or more likely debt up to their goddamned eyeballs. Aprs are one goddamn Bitchass motherfucker.)

Like Turbo CD Godzilla isn't worth 400+ bucks. It's barely a game worth 20 dollars IMO. poo poo, Panzer Dragoon Saga is a good drat game but it was barely worth the 50 msrp I paid for it. It's maybe a 25 hour long game tops.

I just don't understand the appeal of spending fucktons of money just to have THING when there are equal if not superior things for much cheaper up to and including FREE when it comes to Videogames. (Legal free nonetheless. Even more so if you laugh in the face of copyright law.). Outside of people showing off what's the point? I can only speak for myself but I just want to play and enjoy more fun and interesting games. It would be rad to like, have a complete us SMS collection but I'm not paying 80-120 bucks for a complete in box ALF. Or 2-3 times that for Buster Douglas Boxing. Especially in the latter case when the renamed UK version cost me like 15 shipped from the UK and I beat the drat thing in less than an hour the first time I played it.

But poo poo, some of y'all that do love to drop fat stacks chime in. Help me understand why you do what you do. Illuminate me. I still probably won't agree but I would love to at least understand.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Caitlin posted:

listen, here's some perspective : people are gonna spend their money on things they like, and they may like those things for all kinds of reasons, but you're not a loving prole for yelling about someone else buy a $400 game that you're mad is out of your price range

Try reading. I own said 400 dollar game I paid like 30 or so from Turbo Zone Direct. I find it insane that it's worth that having owned it since the late 90s and am trying to at least understand why someone would pay that much. BECAUSE doesn't help much.

On the other hand meh game could help pay off some appliances that do poo poo in my house. drat thing costs as much as a hot water heater or washing machine.

Which is pretty :getin: I suppose.

Edit: vvvvv. The collector in me is raging at your Sega CD photos. I know SCD cases aren't the smallest or most reliable things but.. IT HURTS ME. Vvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 16, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

mariooncrack posted:

So I've been listening to a lot of old retronauts episodes and now I want to go back and play some old Playstation games.

What is the best play to PS1 games on a HDTV? I have a slim PS2 and the smaller, redesigned PS1. I was thinking about just getting a component cable for the PS2.

A ps3. Also you then have unlimited save data pretty much. Component off a ps2 is ok but not über.

Ideally ps1 is best in an emulator and everything can get super sharp. Burn the disk to your hard drive and no loading times either really.

And on mascot platformer chat: Castle of a Illusion on NTSC SMS is the best one. Klonoa 2 on the ps2 is also quite legit.

And Ys Oath in Felghana is THE PSP game bar none. Valkyrie Profile only legit contender.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I just had the worst Facebook discussion with a friend. Pat the NES Punk did a video on Wolverine and the digital war crime known as X MEN. You know, one of the worst commercially released NES era Videogames ever loving made that was released in the USA. LJN deciding to ruin every comic book and videogame fan's holiday with this abortion that singlehandedly proves the Nintendo Seal of Quality was complete horseshit.

My friend was upset and is DEFENDING this game.

Jesus loving wept. I mean infamous Kusoges like Friday the 13th NES, NES Spelunker? They have potential and some good ideas mired by critical flaws but X Men? Only the slow torture of everyone who allowed that weekend ruining pile of Nurgle's Rot until they plead for the sweet release of death that should never be granted no matter how many bloody tears they shed would forgive that evil unleashed upon the world. :doom:

(Course my friend is one of those who thinks everything he loved as a child is automatically great now and forever in spite of all evidence proving that like all of us he had generally terrible taste as a kid because we all didn't know any better. And he also has shared dumb poo poo a minute's Googling would lead to Snopes and prove false. And then not even go "Oops my bad!". Guy is one of the genuinely one of the loveliest people you will ever meet but ye gods can he be dumb as a goddamned brick. :smith: )

Defending NES X Men. I've seen it all.

Vvvv geez. You sure do get salty on a fuckload of people in this thread don't you? vvvvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 19, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

I have more reason to be angry over the NES X-Men game than any person in this thread and I thought that was a bit much.

I was kind of exaggerating for comedic effect. (As I am wont to do.) It's a very very very bad game. So bad. Like Hydlide is better. Spelunker. Arcade Pit Fighter. Time Killers. No for the record I did not post my rage hate on my Facebook when I linked to the Pat video. Which I merely did to my own wall as it was nice to see someone who also suffered through that pos. I think AVGN also might have endured it? Or Projared? My friend did not really approve. But he is pure nostalgia goggles for everything. But watching him see or play things from his childhood causes him to try to excuse their awfulness. One thing I shared directly with him was the recent Phelous Transformers stupidity countdown. He tried to defend CARBOMBYA. It was not good. Yet he hates Beast Wars because it's not G1. Which is heresy. (He makes amazingly dumb excuses when he fucks up. Something he used to do quite often. Instead of apologizing when he pissed us off for his latest derp.)

It still blows my mind somebody could like that game at all. I will have to ask him how old he was when he first played it and how long has it been since he played it last? I am betting 10 years old played it and 25 years ago.

I mean it's just pop culture poo poo either way so it's just harmless fun really. He can like it if he wishes. Imma still give him friendly ribbing over it. I did show him the AVGN Festers Quest video back in the day because he said he loved that game. His reactions were adorable.

That's Rufus' lesson for the day kids: your childhood loves were probably stupid. Cherish the memories but don't try refreshing them. That leads to pain and wondering why you were supposed to root for the Nerds in Revenge of the Nerds. :psyduck:

Edit : vvvv. I'm not. I'm more mad at people mad at me bemused at a friend who is kinda mad at my sharing the opinion of an ok Youtuber that an LJN NES game was quite awful. What does it all mean? I dunno! Nobody should give enough of a gently caress to figure it out. And all of my extended circle of people IRL should quit trying to help my friend have good taste in irrelevant entertainment choices. Like the dude actually liked the Jem movie. One of the biggest flops of 2016 except without the internet trainwrecks all the higher profile failures had. Vvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 20, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

flyboi posted:

Never ignore anyone and Rufus is cute. Peeps that get triggered from their forums experience should look at Facebook or other social media and reflect how inconsequential his rants are.

We could've had a great discussion about ljn games and my love for jaws but you all too blinded to shift discussion. :(

Dawww! Honestly I still don't know why people both take me so seriously, take opinions on games that anyone makes that seriously, or why it always devolves into insults as opposed to actual discussion. That's some Sean Hannity poo poo. I'm cool with different opinions. Its fun discussing this silly poo poo. My ranting is 2/3rds comedic effect and overreaction because its amusing to me. Plus its VIDEO GAMES. It ain't important. Its just stuff. Usually fun even if the fun in NES X Men case is coming up with new ways of expressing my hatred for the game. Feels good to vent about doofy things. Not like its politics or religion or any of that. (Though some folks treat their games and platforms and publishers of choice like a religion. IDGI.)

Anyhow I did a thing while I was reorganizing my NES collection and doing a Dragon Quest collection thing (latter in the DQ thread, bottom of a page). I took pictures!

Most of my totally loose cartridges. Some light gun fun, some of my collection themes (helicopters, Godzilla, computer games gone console, JAWS) and some actually good games in the mix. I like to keep price stickers on as a reminder how much I paid for these silly things. And in cases like Friday the 13th seeing the rental store sticker and what looks like all the effort some kid probably put into making the entire cartridge case black with permanent marker gives it charm! (Also leaving pricetags on makes Dos mad. Which also amuses me in a childish way.)

The rest of the loose cartridges, ones in a case with their maps and manuals, the Famicom version of Ultima 4 for my Ultima collection just like 3 (aka Exodus) there, the manual to the third TMNT game in spite of me having no idea what I did with the actual game, and titles for various collection themes like Batman and 2d Castlevanias.

My four boxed games from back then and my controller of choice, the godly NES ADVANTAGE that helped and still helps me complete many a game. And sometimes without abusing Turbo and Slow Motion features! My one remaining NES pad I never really liked is there for the odd 2 player time, the Arkanoid Vaus controller so I can play Arkanoid right, and the original launch era Zapper for CRT shooty bang bang.

Cluebooks and tip guides! Always helpful in the pre Gamefaqs day! The Official Nintendo Player's Guide was practically a must own for any NES player in the early days. The Ultima 3 clue book is lovely and well suited for most versions of the game (and like a tenth of the price of the original Origin one that is both rare and has all it's maps done in black and white ASCII text. Seriously.), and the Gamepro book is mostly NES titles and sometimes good in house art. There is an excellent Phantasy Star 1 cast painting in there. It isn't actually covered in the book but.. I appreciate it!

The New Games section is more or less previews of recent titles but the rest of it is full of cheats, passwords, and various bits of help to get you through the games covered. For those who are counting the vast majority of the book is NES so that is why it is here.

But there was a reason a one dollar (REALLY) 40 page black and white comic book was shown. The last few pages are a guide and some maps to Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode! Which is quite helpful, and even moreso back then. You get a 33 page comic of Manga's most famous assassin killing some dude with an M16 from like a mile away, and a walkthrough of the game I presume this comic was released as kind of a tie in for.

As to what games I want but haven't gotten yet that as far as I know haven't reached FULL RETARD price yet? Top 5 would include Wizardry 1 and 2, Destiny of an Emperor, Ghengis Khan, Journey to Silius, and Pro Wrestling. Collecting theme goal wise I need AD&D Dragonstrike, Batman Return of the Joker, Silkworm, a bunch of computer game ports (Rocket Ranger, Platoon, Cybernoid f'rex), and whatever other games have you playing in a helicopter. (Honorable normal game mentions include Double Dragon 2, Pro Wrestling, Baseball Stars 2)

Also there are like FIVE different Jaws games. I kinda want them all. The Commodore 64/Amiga one (or possibly two), the 3ds or Wii Ultimate Predator game which is supposed to be even more butt than Jaws Unleashed is. As seen I have NES Jaws based on a very bad movie I actually saw in theaters with my parents. My only Jaws in the theater and its loving JAWS THE REVENGE. :argh: I believe in living every week like it is Shark Week and thus I need shark games even if they are bad. I just won't pay a lot for them. (Also Depth on Steam is a GOOD shark game. It is an actually scary assymetrical PvP game: )

Edit: Heck, while I am cut and pastinating might as well show most of my retrogame pickups over the last 4-5 months or so. Buy 2 at 8 bucks get a third of that price or less free is handy when you are cheap and enjoy the odd bit of mediocrity in your old games!

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 21, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

d0s posted:

playing 240p content on a TV with a native resolution of 1920x1080 through a $50 cable would trigger me so hard. like if I went to somebody's house and saw that poo poo I'd come back here and post a 3 paragraph rufusesque rant about it, not even joking. I'm seriously jealous of anyone who can look past it, jealous of your healthy brain

My rants are mostly comedic in nature and not entirely serious though. Also could you stop using my name in vain? I mean folks know and have said you are all Tsundere and poo poo for me, but I go for Misatos not Asukas. A woman whose idea of breakfast is cup ramen and beer? Alleyway fucks after barfing? NOW THAT'S A LADY!

But different people want different poo poo out of their Videogames and much like your average Audiophile most people aren't going to spend 100s if not 1000s of dollars to make their entertainment media players do things most people cannot tell the difference of anyhow. Especially not just to play some Mario or Pac Man.

(And just like audiophile stuff most of the times the difference is practically to actually nonexistent and it's just a way to snob out about your setup or get the Monster Cables of the world to laugh at ya behind your back while they count all the money they swindled you out of.)

Are there differences? Yeah but there are diminishing returns and for most poo poo like the time, effort, and money to Framemeister or PVM isn't remotely worth it. YMMV. It's not a competition and only dummies should care if their setup is more badass than the next person's. It's the videogame equivalent of Prada and Rolex.

Vvvv What are you an Asuka fan? Shameful! Vvvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 22, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kid Fenris posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion correctly predicted one thing: in the year 2015, only depressed, isolated people would play the Sega Saturn.

Only depressed Saturn owners are the ones that want any of the good games in English that didn't buy them back in the day. Also see Turbografx people. (Why Sega can't just rerelease some of their stuff in an emulator wrapper instead of the usual Japanese excuse of DUUR WE LOST THE SOURCE CODE IN A FIRE which seems to be how they lose everything. Maybe all those Super Sentai things are right and the Monster of the Week battles just keep destroying their enormous warehouse districts?)

Why it is in our modern age that Saturn Bomberman becomes actually viable with our giant fuckoff screens! And I would not wish to live in a world where Saturn Bomberman isn't viable.

And c'mon Kthulhu5k. You aren't doing this to replace car parts. It's so you can build your own fortress of PVMs. Don't lie to us like that! :v

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 22, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

It does have an amazing soundtrack, though. I can only imagine they go up to Tim Follin and say "hey, we need a soundtrack for this lovely licensed thing we're not telling you the name or details you have a month" and he turns in a prog rock masterpiece each time.

One thing I'd love to see someone do is cover the same license that had entirely different games in the same time period on different platforms.

Like Aliens has TWO C64 games that are totally different and then an MSX game that is different still! Batman 89 has.. 4-7 different games based on it! Returns even more! Transformers had 2 C64 games and the infamous Famicom Mystery of Convoy. (I used them as examples since I collect games for all 3 Ips. I almost won a loose but complete MSX Aliens to basically complete that theme. Almost. It's a lovely game though.) There are 2 different Friday the 13th games, 2 Nightmare on Elm Streets, 3 Gremlins. 2 ETs. 2 Predators and 3-4 Predator 2s! 4 Alien3s!

It's a cool thing I'm surprised people haven't done as a style or theme for projects.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

TheRedEye posted:

Mostly this is limited to people who pretend that Genesis Aladdin is better than SNES Aladdin.

Why not just play both? A lot like the stuff I posted being licensed games it's cheap to buy. Like under 30 shipped can get one both Aladdins. Even less if you use GOG for the digital Genesis Disney releases and or are fine with loose carts. (Though SMS Castle of Illusion is the best Disney game I have played. It's so damned good and charming.)

I'm biased towards Sega but good is good. (In Alien3's case the SNES version smokes the Genesis/most other platforms version.) If slightly later release ports count I will take Master System versions over the Commodore 64 ones any day. (Though when it comes to NES on C64 and vice versa? Play the original versions. C64 Castlevania is about as bad as NES Defender of the Crown. Two of my favorite games ruined when ported. But those are ports and not same Ips but different games.)

Platform Warrioring is kinda dumb. Most machines and the companies behind them have their good and their bad parts.

Speaking of Nintendo I should have a SNES collection photo thingie done sometime tonight. Every few years I need to update collection photos and get poo poo reorganized and alphabetized.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

I think the ultimate troll is coming from Genesis Aladdin to SNES, seeing that he has a sword on the cover, but instead you're throwing apples and vaulting off people's heads.

It's a better designed game I guess but so easy and boooooring. And the music is my poster child for how echoey and reverb-ery a SNES game can sound but it's not fair comparing it to something like this.

I generally prefer synths over samples these days myself. SNES sound is a lot like Amiga sound that in many cases it is more or less the Uncanny Valley of audio. It sounds too close to real to be right, but not far enough to be right. 420 SID Chip EVRYDAY.

Anyhow as promised SNES collection photos for ya'll to ponder.

Oddly enough the reason I only have two of these loose SNES cart photos is because back before retro gaming and collecting got big I was snobby and mostly only wanted boxed games, or at least with manuals. And as can sadly be seen most people never really took good care of their games. I have seen things that would turn one's hair white. CD/DVD based games just thrown loose on a table. Drinks on top of electronic devices. Games and controllers thrown about. Horrible things.

Zelda there came with my SNES in 1995 and can show you how I kept my stuff good. It is clean and fancy. Even UN Squadron I bought in early 1996 looks better than most of these carts because I take decent care of my stuff. (I just need to dust a lot more often.) And I have indeed actually done some light cleaning of most of these loose games. That is how poorly people take care of their property.

The first of my three images of my boxed games. This sort of explains why I was also a boxed snob. Most of my existing games in the early days of Ebay were such so why would I buy loose? And it wasn't like there were a ton of retail stores carrying old games at that point. SNES was in the midst of being phased out of video rental stores and the normal game shops of the time. But I got a few choice morsels. And thanks to a few budget reissues a couple more titles.

Pilotwings is on top because technically it is the actual box cut up and placed into a plastic case of some kind. It is a reasonable price. Now if only we could get the true successor to it (Disney's STUNT ISLAND for DOS) reissued or remade. It is everything Pilotwings wanted to be and MORE.

The final suite of boxed games. All three Super Star Wars games boxed. And a sought after rarity. And a game mostly known as a donor cartridge for reproduction and overclocking projects.

From what I understand the Chrono Trigger cluebook is also sought after. And while I may have gotten rid of the box my SNES came in (you can only transport so much on an airplane after all!) I still have all the paperwork in there. Even if it isn't really needed. The little thing at the bottom is a fancy save state/convertor cartridge. Plug it into your SNES, plug the game in and you can save state in most spots in most SNES games. And the design allows for Japanese Super Famicom games to be played without having to do any sort of chopping to your machine!

My controllers. The Super Advantage because I enjoy such things as RAPID FIRE and joystick controls for my videogames, a stock pad because sometimes shoulder buttons have their use (and you know, it kinda came with the unit), and the SNES Mouse and Mouse Pad for Mario Paint, Arkanoid, Super Game Boy, and a handful of other games should I get them in the future. The joystick got a nice scrubbing after this photo was taken.

Where is the SGB then? Well I showed it in an earlier collection update covering the Game Boy but.. here it is again:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 23, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Elliotw2 posted:

the SNES game called "Mechwarrior" is a pretty faithful port of the original DOS Mechwarrior, with redesigned mechs for whatever reason. The Genesis game called "Battletech" and it's SNES verison "Mechwarrior 3050" is Jungle Strike in a Mad Cat but bad.

Its not faithful AT ALL. Its the same basic story but that is pretty much it. The gameplay is seriously different, the combat and construction rules are different, the graphics go from polygons to Mode 7 world with sprite mechs, and the mechs are all different. You can at least modify your mechs in the SNES game however. (Yes the mechs are pretty much different because of our pals at Harmony Gold. But we shouldn't call them pals friend.)

I have completed both the SNES and the PC DOS Mechwarrior 1s. They share the same central story conceit and are both first person mech combat sims where you are a merc. I am not really sure either is worth going out of your way to play these days. But Mechwarrior 4/Mercenaries is my first person mech game of choice so YMMV. (That being said I would cut up a motherfucker if someone would use the Mechwarrior Online engine for a proper single player game. Course I thought the same about City of Heroes too.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

Gambit: worst X-Man gets the worst X-Men stage.

Gambit in NES X Men. Would it create a black hole and suck up the Earth in its sheer powers of sucky suckness? Could mankind survive? And how many times would we end up with character marriage destruction, event crossovers, and Jean Grey deaths/resurrections/not really dead retcons? (Also Deadpool specials making fun of it?)

I don't think we want to know. It is the true Lovecraftian horror.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Soul Glo posted:

Give me your best arcade collections that were put out on 360/PS3, I could stand to pick some up.

In particular, did TMNT: The Arcade Game ever see a disc release?

I've been meaning to do an anthology/collection post for almost 6 months now. I should really get to that.

And the 2 arcade games are unlockables on the early 00s Turtles games based on that series. Mutant Nightmare 3 on the Xbox has Turtles in Time on it. 15 bucks got me the arcade game (I presume) and an entire 05 era TMNT game as a bonus. Which beats the price of either the SNES or Genesis versions go for by like a factor of 3-4. I think the previous one has original arcade game on it. But I bought the XBLA version so I haven't been as hot on getting it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Just dl the carts you own? Then like just get a cheap Android device and a controller and tv cable? 30 bucks for a cheap smartphone and like 35 more for a FC30 gamepad and I have a cheap portable mp3 player, wifi internet, and emulation device that fits in my pocket. Ill be buying and testing video out tonight when I buy a cable. The emu stealing keeps me from the Retron. There are also Raspi solutions too but less easy to play Pocket Pool see what I did there?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
To be fair there are a lot of home brews out there but oddly less for the NES than say the pre crash systems. At this point there might be as many homebrew Vectrex game releases as there are original ones! The Intellivision and Atari 2600 do well there too. (If we count 80s computers it gets ridiculous. Like physical copies and everything.)

Hell, the Colecovision has titles designed for a fan made enhancer that is intended to be a thing Coleco never made in the day because they were too busy loving themselves in the rear end with the ADAM, the only thing to make even the 360 look reliable!

Now some of these titles are just ports of other games, many of which have no point because Galaga on the CV isn't gonna compare to even the NES one, much less all the modern arcade collections! And then take in the fact that many of them are clearly infringing on IP to do so and it becomes VERY iffy as to why anyone should give them money for it.

Like repro carts but with more work involved. Now paying fair prices for original new games or clear inspirations but improved and not just IP theft? I'm cool with that. (Or if they just release their fan port for free on emulation/flash carts. Just don't charge money for your Donkey Kong remake or your Asteroids on X System thing.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I don't have the link handy but Play Asia has some upcoming US style game cabinets in 1/12 scale coming out soon. Namco titles only IIRC. So there are more choices for silly projects. I'd personally just say to chop up those new Pac Man and Space Invaders LCD games TRU and Walmart has. Not arcade authentic cabs but more room to putz with and make something nice out of.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh man I can't wait for these. Since I will never have a full-size Pac-Man machine, I could always hope for a miniature one (not that crummy one from the 80s). Please please please post in this thread when they are available to buy!

http://www.play-asia.com/namco-arcade-machine-collection-112-scale-pre-painted-figure-ral/13/70ajqv

Well here is one of them. On mobile so yall gotta go to the site to find out more information.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
It's what I do in the thread. I just post collection pictures and try to update them every few years or write down poo poo I need the most. Only the SMS where I would like to have a full collection has something resembling a record. A printout of all the games from an SMS site and a pink hi lighter covering games I own. (A green check mark for ones in transit. Back when money flowed and home appliances weren't crapping out on me.)

Hmm.. Maybe I'll do a Turbografx collection post this Sunday....

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
FF8 came out around the same time as Fallout 1-2 did. (Plus the Baldur's Gate engine family.)

Not only was FF8 bad on it's own, compared to what Fallout was doing it made it look even shittier. Such a bad game I swore off JRPGs for years because of it. Course it was more a nail in the coffin after stuff like the Communist Choices in Suikoden 1 which was an entire game filled with BUT THOU MUST non choices from NES Dragon Quest. (Only you know, over 10 years later and 2 more console generations during the time where computing technology was advancing at an absurd rate and each new generation of consoles and computers tended to blow the goddamned doors off the previous one even in first generation software. As opposed to now where it isn't remotely like that. The layperson aint really gonna be able to tell a PS3 Souls game from a PS4 one. Even us geeks need to actually pay attention to tell in screenshots or videos that aren't doing super taxing levels of stuff on screen.)

But I generally prefer to create my own character and roleplay in my RPGs. Don't care as much in SRPGs though. I do like them to be good and not have a brilliant concept let down by execution though. :doom: Operation Darkness :doom:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-15-resurrection Then this is for you Code Jockey. Its drat good. loving hard though.

Also I picked up some stuff at Retroworld Expo yesterday:

I made one seller a bit salty because I wouldn't buy a Genesis game without the manual but for me? SMS and Genesis games must be CIB or they aren't worth buying. Anything less is heretical heresy. Same for any plastic case game really. But especially those two platforms.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

SnatchRabbit posted:

Right, but my main concern is having the ED out when I'm using the CD portion on the Duo.

You don't have to. Just put the Super System Card rom on your ED. PROFIT. Hell, try putting the Arcade Card on it and see what happens. And the CDROM 2 for the games that do stuff if you have that on instead of the Super as it wants..

Sadly Tennokoe Bank doesn't work so no hard save data.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Rirse posted:

Thinking of getting the SFC30 for the NES/SNES, but I am curious on how the buttons are on the NES? Are they mirrored on the Y/X and Shoulder Buttons, or they just don't work there? I was reading up more on the dogbone controller, but the part about how the buttons are angled makes games where you need to hold both A & B down sound like a pain on it, which that would be the same case on a SNES controller.

I've only got the FC 30 for my cheap rear end Android phone I don't activate because 30 dollar IPod Touch replacement with micro SD expansion wins. It's a nifty little controller! Sadly the android doesn't have the video out so no Atari 800 emulation on my HDTV.
(Too busy and cheap to buy the Broglia emulators right now. Colleen is a free emulator and owns. The free C64 emu did not own.)

I'd show a picture but iPad Air doesn't like to let Facebook images easily link.

Joystick thoughts: just get a RetroUSB Genesis dongle and buy either of the cheap but good Sega made arcade sticks. Or the Nintendo ones for Advantage sticks.

Vvvv the only things I find haven't worked were Atari Paddles and one of the Atari Trackballs. I don't have the SMS Sports Pad so I can't test it either. I think my awesomely ugly Sears Intellivision controllers don't work either. I doubt I tried the Atgames Colecovision controllers because I don't like them for the CV Flashback so why would I make life shittier for myself? Both Vision systems had well intentioned but generally poo poo default controllers. Obviously I don't have the CV optional controllers so no trying them either. I doubt I have done a few other DB9 devices I have because between the Genesis sticks, a 2 button Epyx 500xj, 6 button Genesis pad, the FC30 in USB mode, and the Madcatz SF4 TE stick, plus a wired 360 pad I am.. Pretty loving set on USB and DB9 to USB devices. Plus you know Atari Trackball and Paddles on legacy machines. Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I did say I was gonna show the FC30 in action:

It basically has a couple of start up modes that can make it a USB controller for PCs, a Bluetooth controller with keyboard emulation, an iCade mode, and a couple other. Its good and cute. They have a couple different styles of controller now and even dongles so you can use them with your actual consoles. I am not entirely sure WHY one would want this but you can. They have a near keychain sized controller, this game pad sized one, a SNES styled one, an Arcade Stick, and a Wii Classic Controller type with thumbsticks. Plus a LE model of mine with actual gold plating if you really like to show off your bougieness. For what I want and need it to do, a 4 button with shoulder buttons, and Start/Select is fine. The white bit is like a stand for your mobile devices but ones that basically don't have a case on them.

The device works pretty well. Sadly GBA4IOS doesn't acknowledge it because that program is a douchebag who hates fun like Apple does. Except the program at least lets me play Super Robot Wars J at the speed of ungodly slow.

You can use Bluetooth Keyboards with the Colleen emulator and they work decently. Funnily enough the cheap rear end rubber key Bauhn one I got for like 10 bucks at Aldi a couple years back that has a built in pleather case is actually BETTER for WASD gaming than the Logitech. Better arrow keys too. Who would have thought?

30 bucks and a fuckton better than an Ipod Touch. Plus phone capabilities if I want to be stupid(er).

But I have other portable gaming options. I got it imported from the UK to go along with my TRON portable of the same design. If I ever have money to burn I need to get the Tomy Scramble game to complete the trilogy. VFD displays are the best retro displays.

Wheelie doesn't like LCD games in 2016 with mediocre joysticks. Even for 18 bucks. :smith:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 25, 2016

• Locked thread