Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Two options:

1, if you can find them, are the WWE Brawl sticks, which are low-cost 360 and PS3 8-button arcade sticks. That used to be findable for like 30 bucks on clearance.

2. Also if you can find them are the USB controllers for the Neo Geo X, which are low-cost clones of the Neo Geo sticks. They're not fantastic but get the job done, and I think would be similarly priced (maybe up to $60), should be fairly easy to find.

I have a brawl stick myself and once you throw in parts they work great. They already have quick disconnects and everything so you can just drop in legit parts no problem.

If you're using windows I'd try for a 360 stick since it's xinput but the ps3 works great as a HID device even if the buttons are wired goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

Please do not learn a language exclusively to play retro video games with. Namaste.

I've never tried learning Japanese but I've played so many imports that I can recognize commands and navigate most menus just fine. It's decent enough that I can play most anything that isn't a RPG so :shepface:

Honestly unless you care about the story and have played enough games you can blindly figure out tons of Japanese games. Hell I did play through a Korean rpg on my PSP back in the day because there wasn't anything else to play on it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

al-azad posted:

I hope it was Astonishia Story. A part of me misses the day when a garbage basement game could get a physical release but I also struggled through that game (in English!) because it was a thing on PSP.

It was! It came out something like a year before US in Korea and there wasn't much at all worth playing on PSP at the time unless you liked really boring shovelware, Ridge Racer or Puzzle Bobble.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I drunk bought a Sega ST-V as-is board because hey why not ST-V SOUNDS COOL! $50 SHIPPED? YEE YEE!!

Well it shows a display things are coming up THRILHO--

:saddowns:

I tried a quick re-flow in the oven and it didn't fix it. I may try re-flowing manually with an iron but I don't know if I care enough. There really isn't much on ST-V to worth saving this over just using my Sega Saturn. Probably the worst drunk-purchase to date.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So it appears st-v requires 7a on the 5v line :stare:

Idk if I want to invest in that kind of required power supply

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I found a led inverter I could use but honestly I'm not sure I care. At this point it's just verifying the board works. It was a drunk buy because I always wanted one but the games I would play are also on Saturn which I have and is modded.

Not really sure it's worth the $20 for that and I am NOT getting into arcade boards as that's more :retrogames: than my neo geo collection and I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I spent to get my collection built on that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Right but all of those can be played on Saturn so it's just throwing money into a bonfire for minimal load times. For me that's not really my bag considering the difference between Saturn and ST-V is super minimal.

An interesting thing though is the ST-V supports MIDI and SCSI but not sure what they were used for. Probably one of the bad redemption games.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I have a doujindance Duo-R from around 2012-ish that has both RGB and S-Video on it. The mod job while it worked has always been on the dark side and a proper amplification circuit for PC-Engine didn't really exist until recently when viletim put the effort into building one.

I ended up buying an amp from this dude as it's the "proper" circuit http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/fs-pce-turbografx-rgb-amps-cables-and-rgb-modded-consoles.56269/ and thought "hey how bad could it be?"

:stare: OH GOD

So I spent a long time tracing everything to figure out how the modified JROC board was wired up. Figured out the pins and then just integrated the new amp along with the S-Video converter so I could retain S-Video output even if it doesn't look the best. For those wondering what's going on RGB & composite video is tapped from the Hu chipset, RGB is fed into this JROC clone which takes RGB, amplifies it and converts to S-Video. The bubble-wrapped board in the upper-left is a LM1881 sync stripping circuit which feeds into the DIN8 plug as well as sync on the JROC for S-Video. The board in the upper-right is an array of capacitors and resistors to normalize the video output before being sent to the TV. The board underneath the JROC is the region mod on the card slot which has a switch to change regions.

Fired it up to see how things looked and oh nooooooo Evangelion PC-Engine

After swapping the output wires on the amp and buttoning up the mod job everything looks fine and the system looks amazing now in rgb.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 4, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mercury Crusader posted:

Genesis stuff has always been rather affordable compared to SNES stuff, even if you wanted to go the CIB route. I grabbed a CIB copy of Phantasy Star IV for something like $20 even though it felt like it should've been more since it was an RPG and it had a lovely cardboard box instead of the earlier clamshell cases. In fact, most of the late generation cardboard box releases I own (Vectorman 1 and 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Sonic & Knuckles) were under $10 each. If you don't buy CIB, the carts are easy to store and even easier/cheaper to purchase.

I probably would've been fine with non-CIB but when I started buying heavily into Genesis stuff, I realized the ten or so games I had for it were already CIB so I figured why not. I guess the clamshell case Sonic 3 is harder to find than the cardboard box release?

You probably shouldn't look at the price of Phantasy Star 4 in 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Silhouette posted:

A launch aka "High Definition Graphics" unit, or a VA6, both are model 1 variants.

The HDG is easy to spot, and a lot of people prefer them (not me, and i'll explain) because they have really loud bass compared to every other Genesis.

The VA6 is a bit harder to spot, but easily recognized by the flat panel of plastic where the EXT port used to be near the AV/PSU inputs. The VA6 has properly mixed sound (the HDG's bass is actually mixed too loud, causing distortion), and stereo audio through the headphone jack is cleaner than on most other models (on an HDG, turning the volume slider up to more than around halfway causes it to crackle).

No. VA6 is HDG and you can tell the difference based on the FCC label at the bottom as it's shorter and has a silver box inside of it. It is the only TMSS HDG revision.

The non-HDG TMSS with the EXT port covered is VA 6.5/6.8.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I liked wetrix :saddowns:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fawf posted:

Then you might be the target audience for the official (kinda bad) Plok webcomic in which the rubber duck from Wetrix is a prominent character

I also liked plok and have read the comic from time to time :saddowns:

So much self-owning from myself tonight

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It wasn't just later-gen CRTs being a PITA to move they all were. All the weight is in the glass and almost all have no handles or handles placed where it doesn't matter.

The bottoms are always injection molded plastic and the manufacturers were too lazy to clean up parts you won't see so the stress ridges just eat into your hands. I have scars on my hand and my knee from moving those terrible things. While Sony XBR are gold standard never move them yourself. Just pay a poor soul to be your sucker because they are the worst in both weight and ability to carry.

The only super massive CRT that wasn't a pain in the dick to move were Mitsubishi diamonds because they were smart enough to split the display into two parts.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

I'm glad I haven't touched Metroid since Super Metroid

e. unless you count Axiom Verge :v:

There's a lot of great metroidvania clones by indies as of late. A few others worth checking out are Environmental Station Alpha, Castle in the Darkness and the Momodora series (1 & 2 are pay what you want, 3 is $2 and 4 is $10 I believe)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

azurite posted:

Get the VGA box, that way all your bases are covered.

The USB GDROM is by far the best way to go. Unfortunately, the creator is apparently tough to work with, so SAG no longer carries them. DC SD is far too slow, since it goes at like USB 1.1 speeds.

Try serial speeds. Not even usb 1.1 :haw:

Anyways if you're gaming on a budget and good with a soldering iron your best bet is to wire in an IDE cable and use an IDE hard drive. Note I said GOOD WITH SOLDERING IRON. YOU HAVE TO WIRE AN IDE CABLE TO THE DREAMCST
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/mod-hdd-without-destroying-your-dreamcast-%E2%86%92-step-by-step-guide.60146/

Compatibility however isn't 100% so yeah, only do this if you're really hurting for cash.
http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-2145.html

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I was flipping through old Nintendo Powers that I grabbed last night and came across a rather interesting article in issue 22. I remember the magazine being filled to the rim with marketing and game stuff but I never remembered there was actual technical information in it.

The next couple of pages go on about the sprites, background layer, RGB vs RF and touches on the Gameboy a bit.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I never thought a Nintendo publication would talk about shift registers. Can you dump the rest of the pages in here?

Maybe rewrite them in the form of 18th century love poetry so Nintendo can't slash our throats in the night.

I love old magazines.

Here you go

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
A lot of boards did but you don't really even need the switch. You can unplug/plug the cable at the right time to force vga on most all games

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh hi one of my pastimes is doing stupid poo poo with Japanese boards. If you have a manual I can help.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got my Mark III all wired up and super excited to play Phantasy Star with that FM goodness. Too bad the FM chip on my adapter is fried and needs replaced :sigh:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Elliotw2 posted:

Vay, interesting enough, can be bought on the iPhone.

Fair warning this hasn't been updated in forever and is stuck in the iPhone 4 screen mode. I also believe the company that made it is out of business.

Edit: disregard that I suck dicks. Loaded it for the first time in forever and it displays right on my SE.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It didn't help that their release timeline and chosen titles in the US was nonsensical. Saturn is the only system I specifically remember that my local Software Etc had a shelf of imported games you could buy. Only other time that happened was when they imported Shenmue 2.. In Indiana no less.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ofecks posted:

I don't think this is true. If it were, wouldn't there be Saturn flashcarts?

But it is!

Not only that but you can even run Saturn games from the vcd card slot!

The PAR 4-in-1 is the best example of the card slot execution because so long as it is inserted it always trumps booting the cd which is how it did the region free booting.

There's actually a cart China POCd to load games from the ext slot but it was abandoned ages ago. There's vids and code of it loading langrisser and I think it was called saroo but it has been a while.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, does this mean an SD/USB Drive for a Saturn would be as easy as plug-and-play into the card slot now that the encryption has been broken on it?

Whenever the guy releases his solution that would be the result.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Katana Gomai posted:

What's a good replacement for a Mega Drive gamepad because holy poo poo the Mega Drive gamepad is terrible

Worst opinion to date in the new thread. I don't know of many adapters that work on the Genesis but you could use a SMS or Atari controller if you really want to experience bad.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Are those any good? I've avoided reprints because they're usually garbage.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rirse posted:

Dang, tried out the Gameboy I got a few years ago at a yard sale for five bucks, and while it still works (I got a copy of Tetris for testing) it has a few thick lines toward the bottom that cover up the screen. Probably not going to get a flashcart for this then, even through if I did get a Everdrive GB, I would just get a used Gameboy Color instead.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can fix the gameboy. The ribbon cable to the display is notoriously lovely and the contacts get messed up on it. There's videos on YouTube for how to fix it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The orientation is the same on all joysticks on x-men. Honestly if space is a premium why even bother with 3rd & 4th players. It makes the control panels look wonky as hell and you'll use it maybe twice ever.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

On the contrary I will tell you a black Duo is just fine as long as you have it recapped. :shrug:

Except the audio amp is positioned right next to the voltage regulator and over time will fail because of the heat generated causing it to overheat. It's stupid to get a Duo unless you want a ticking time bomb. This is why even when you replace all the capacitors and leave the system on for extended amounts of time the audio cuts out.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

xamphear posted:

This is a problem that's plaguing all of Krikzz's MicroSD-only carts. The new Mega Everdrive v2, the EDGB and the EDGBA. They all seem to hate the same brand/models of cards, and work with the same ones. This one works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5HCK/

Krikzz has been pretty unresponsive on the issue, just telling people to try other cards. I spent $50 on various cards just to find one that worked.

I highly doubt he'll do anything about it unless it's like the Turbo Everdrive issues. He has been really bad about OS updates anymore and pretty much focuses all his time on making GBS threads out new carts.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kramdar posted:

What was that issue? I still haven't had a chance to use my Turbo Everdrive.

The card wasn't designed properly in the revision and was lacking capacitors to VCC on the flash memory. The chip was volatile enough that something like a .02mA drop in power made flashing failed and made the cart revision not work in a lot of devices. This is also why the first revision of the cart would fail on some consoles that had been region modded due to the length of the wires causing too large of a drop in voltage for the slot.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miles McCloud posted:

I love to hear the cries of Madden 95 and PGA Golf Tour as I rip their brains out and heatgun their labels off.

Nope, it can't emulate the FM chip and krikkz has no plans to do so. I plan to make one myself as soon as I get my copy from Japan.

Oh hey you don't have PMs but I've got a copy I tried to convert to English but was sold bad roms. Would you be able to burn that and one other NES game for me so I can finally finish those two projects? The other one is Just Breed.

Edit: ^^^^^ if you get a copy of Lagrange Point and someone to burn the rom for you it's one of the easiest to convert. The IC literally drops in and there's no rewiring required at all.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SnatchRabbit posted:

How do you burn the rom? All I have is a AV Famicom.

You find someone with a rom burner who knows how to make NES CHR roms.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For me having the systems and playing on them is more getting to use the full original hardware experience. Sure there's adapters for your popular systems in emulation but I can't for example use my PC Engine controllers on it. To each their own but that's why I like my console collection!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Gonna say something about shmups to watch d0s go on a rampage

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's not a shmup and it's not retro but d0s check out downwell as it's a pretty sweet cheap game akin to shmups. Your welcome.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ofecks posted:

Someone may have answered this at some point, but are there original GD-ROM images out there? All I ever came across were hacked-up DiscJuggler shits made to fit on a CDR, which was fine I guess, but that's not gonna cut it for proper preservation.

There's two archive projects like TOSEC for console media - TruRip and ReDump.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Bubble Bobble Revolution on the DS. You couldn't progress past level 30 out of the 100 or so levels because it was bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh wow, this is a great example, though I think it was more of a glaring oversight than a scam. As for unbeatable games, the only other one I can think of is Mission Impossible (heh) for the Atari. Any other games unbeatable due to bugs?

What about games that can actually be damaged to the point where it's unusable? I think there is only one case of this in history, but I can't find it for some reason. It was one of the GBA Mega Man games. Basically there was a glitch (difficult to pull off luckily) that would corrupt the save data, and for whatever reason, the game refused to boot with corrupted save data with no way to erase it, bricking the cart. I really doubt there is any other instance of this but if there is, I'd love to know about it.

Another would be the TMNT port from NES to PC. There's a jump that is impossible no matter what you do.

• Locked thread