Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Anyone have good recommendations for cheap-ish game shelves or storage? I have maybe 150 jewel case games, 30 or so DVD sized games, and a dozen big box PC-sized ones and would like a shelf to store all of that in one place.

Local stores only seem to sell kinda cheap plasticy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

beaver_cheese posted:

Weird question, but is there any sort of recommended lubricant to use on AV ports? The port and cable combo I have is very tight, to the point where it seems like plugging and unplugging might cause damage over time.

Most of the 8-pin DIN plugs I've run into are super tight, I always assumed they were designed that way to ensure a good connection.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Quiet Feet posted:

I got one of
these things in a lot of random gaming garbage ealier this year. Anyone ever used one? I don't have an import game to try and am on the fence as to whether or not I want to start to collecting imports anyway. I've always been under the impression that you can't play JP only stuff without modding your Saturn.

You should start collecting Saturn imports because the Saturn import library is huge & awesome.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
There are a ton of good CD and SCD games requiring little Japanese imo. Bunch of sidescroller beat-em-ups like Shubibinman or Valis, cool puzzle games like Star Mobile or Pop'n Magic.

I have 7 HuCard games compared to 27 CD/SCD games; PC Engine library feels a little meager to me without the CD add-on.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

Sapphire (burn it, $$$$$)

I was looking through game prices on a lark and I'm loving astounded at how Sapphire's price has ballooned over the past few years. Last I checked it hovered around $200-$300, but even Japanese sites have a floor of $550 with CIB copies sometimes hitting $1k. I mean, Sapphire's a great shooter, but drat I'm not used to seeing NeoGeo prices on not-NeoGeo consoles.

On the reverse, Radiant Silvergun prices have pretty much tanked to the oh-so-cheap $100-ish :v:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shadow Hog posted:

Is that on a Japanese auction site or something? On eBay it seems to have settled around $180-200 CIB w/ spine, with the lone disc-only copy I saw being $150.

Yup, although Ebay prices occasionally dip into that territory. It's the MSX Metal Gear effect where the game is actually kinda common but it's on so many "expensive good game" lists people think it'll sell easily for $200+.

You'll find Metal Gear on Ebay and Yahoo Auctions at like $400 CIB, but no one buys it for that price if they know what's up. Just gotta be patient and look for actual auctions and not BIN prices.

Sapphire's similar, but it's actually rare and expensive so CIB ranges from $500-$1000 now and patience isn't gonna get you far.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Captain Rufus posted:

Sadly Tennokoe Bank doesn't work so no hard save data.

What's the deal with these? I've bought a couple actual ones in the past and they've only ever half-booted into a glitch screen.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I opened one of them and replaced the battery, still didn't work. I just assumed it was a problem with my Duo cause it's a doujindance modded one.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Worth remembering that with Buyee sometimes the shipping can get pretty steep, you'll end up paying 500-600 yen for every item sent to Buyee, the Buyee surcharges, and then shipping on top of that. It's not unreasonable imo, but it adds up and can take you offguard cause they charge it all at the end.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Why on the Saturn in particular? I would think the interface would be more manageable with a mouse.

Just plug in the Saturn mouse! :eng101:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm playing MG2 on MSX and Campbell totally just told Snake that Minovsky particles will block out his radar.

AlphaKretin posted:

I think I see "yuuki" which would be a name, yeah. Can't make out the other word too well.

E: Ryuuto . Yuuki Ryuu- something, I was thinking of the wrong writing system for that last character. Maybe Ryuuta? I missed that smidge in the corner on phone.

Yup, Ryuuta. Both are given names so maybe siblings or something.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Turbinosamente posted:

Same here, though when I had a 2600 I remember how quickly I got bored with the games. It can be hard to go that far back sometimes, especially when you have no nostalgia for it. I do however love that early illustrated cartridge label art so I think I might pick up this coffee table book on it. Has anyone else gotten it?

Probably shouldn't mention this but lawyer lady in Sakura Wars? Does Rufus mean Maria? (I still mourn the death of the Sakura Wars PS2 LP, yet don't have the dedication to struggle through the Japanese myself (or play my copy of Sakura Wars 5, apparently).

Probably Sagiitta Weinberg, the Harlem lawyer woman from 5. There's a pretty big part where you help her solve some social problems in Harlem with the power of lawyering.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah derp, you can tell I haven't bothered playing Five, and it didn't occur to me he wasn't going through one of the previous 4, given the anime rant.

5 is a surprisingly solid game (Hell, they all are really), and handles a black ex-gang member Harlem-raised lawyer confronting black social issues in Harlem fairly well for coming from a culture with almost no hands-on experience with American race relations.

It only comes across as slightly funny that the plucky young Japanese dude supports her in her struggle for social justice.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

I'm back from glorious nippon, who wants a haul pic

the MVS game is real bout 1, it was 1500 yen at BEEP which is an ok price to pay to do that blue mary thing on real hardware. all the other retro games besides the DDP board and under defeat which I got an awesome deal on are nothing special, just the random cheap games you kinda accumulate when you go to japan. why did I buy L-DIS?

my dream is now to open an all candy cab arcade in the US so foreign barbarians can get some culture, I seriously can't describe how good some of those arcades were, it was like eating a steak for the first time if you've only ever had mcdonalds your whole life. go to japan and play their old video games before all the CRTs die. I already saw a very small amount of old games in modern vewlix cabs with LCD screens and it wasn't pretty

How much did Under Defeat run you?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

5000 yen at mandarake shockingly. there was one of those stickers saying it was junk or blemished or whatever but it's completely mint?!?

This my favorite thing about JP goods; like maybe its missing a spine card or the box has a scratch and thus worth a fraction of the price.

"Junk" labels on an MSX usually means "needs a new floppy belt" or "is missing a basic av cable"

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Fremry posted:

I have an NES that needed a new 72 pin connector. So I bought one, switched it out, the NES immediately worked on the first attempt to turn it on, but after that, it doesn't work. Any idea what could be wrong? It's just baffling because it's not like it continued to stop working. It actually worked and then just stopped working.

Maybe a short somewhere or a scraped trace on the board? Does everything look alright inside with no contacts/solder joints touching metal or one another?

edit:

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend gaming shelves/bookcase? Ones that'll fit DVD cases to Sega Genesis clamshells. Everything I find on amazon looks really flimsy and I want something that will last and is moveable.

I've asked this a couple times and never got an answer, so would be interested if anyone has anyone too.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Shmups is an everywhere thing, I've heard that in the US ever since I was aware enough to categorize games into specific genres beyond RPG, Action, etc. I use a bunch of terms for the SNES and NES depending, but I've never heard anyone say that last "s" as a "z" sound and I don't know why they would.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Stumiester posted:

I'm British and it was the "nezz" and "snezz" for me. Why waste time saying all those syllables when you could be playing games?!

Where does the "Z" come from though? I don't understand. Is this some sort of rhyming slang tomfoolery?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
In light of the framemeister nonsense, I'm just gonna say gently caress it and get an RGB monitor. What's a good size?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

14" is good if it's just you and can have it on your desk. 20" is the other sweet spot for 2 players.

I have a 14" sitting on my corner desk right now.

None of my friends care about retrogaming so 14" it is! Do you use a Sony PVM or are there other brands/models that are as good?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I do. I have a PVM-14L5. I got it specifically for 480p stuff. There are a handful of other models that do as well. Sony monitors are the simplest to get a hold of since they seem to have been in every studio and hospital. There are other manufacturers that are also good but not as ubiquitous or as well known. JVC, Panasonic and Ikegami. Olympus could be counted I guess since some of the models are rebranded Sony's.

I found a lead on a JVC 16" model with the required RGB hookups that I'm supposed to be picking up today. It's not a Sony, but it was also astoundingly cheaper. Thanks for the advice!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The TM-1650SU? That's a decent model, just don't overpay. Doesn't do 480p if you care about that, but everything is else is a-ok.

Yup! I'm not going to be using it for anything beyond PSX/Saturn era, but good to know about the 480p. I picked it up ~30 minutes ago and the guy I got it from started talking about how he used to just chunk the Sony PVMs. Gave the guy $80 for the JVC cause I didn't have to pay for shipping so maybe a bit on the pricey side, but still a fraction of what his 20" Sonys were going for.

Where did you get your SCART/BNC convertor from?

edit: I'm guessing for something that outputs native RGB, I can just build a BNC cable if I have the hookups yeah?

Nancy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 4, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
When people say "tate" for shooting games, is it like rotate or kinda like "tah-tay" like the Japanese for "standing"? I ask cause I'm watching some retro setup videos on youtube and I've heard people say "this TV is 'tated" as if they are truncating the word rotated and it sounds really weird, as if they're a relic from the 90s or something.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's "tah-tay" but even the hardcore shmup nerds get it wrong all the time because (ro)tate is an easy assumption to make.

That's what I thought, every time I hear it I flashback to Capri Sun commercials.

Thanks! I don't play shooters/never seen the option in menus so I slipped up and mentally linked it to tatsu like I do sometimes with tatemono.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mace Bacon posted:

That was me. I bought a bunch in bulk because of my old Betamax and U-matic VCRs use em too so i put the rest on the Trinitron just in case

Just a heads up, but Retro Gaming Cables also has SCART -> BNC cables so you can combine shipping if you want, you just gotta search for BNC in the box. Link

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mace Bacon posted:

Thanks.

Anyway I need Krikzz to make a Sega SG-1000 multicart for my SC-3000. For some reason carts can get expensive for it. There's a multicart out there but you need to reflash chips like a caveman! I wanna put ROMs on a SD card :colbert:

I have a multi-cart on the way for my MSX that has a micro SD slot for storing ROMs, but requires you to use the computer's basic interface to flash ROMs onto the cartridge's internal memory. The cartridge allows you to flash 500-or-so ROMs at once if you have a text file listing them all out and filter through them in an interface, but you can't load ROMs directly off of the SD card.

As far as I know this is the only/best multi-cart for the MSX; old computers are weird.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah apparently it was upgraded from 1 MB to 8 MB for the audio. The devs said something about having to do a ton of design work to accommodate the 8MB ROM.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I don't know if the retro gaming market is large enough to incentivize retooling and working in tech that big TV manufacturers having been dropping from production sets for decades.

In other news, I've only tried s-video so far on my JVC RGB monitor, but hot drat this is a nice display. Even without full RGB everything is crisp and clear, almost feels like an 'HDTV' of CRTs. Apparently these things were several thousand dollars/unit in the 1990s.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mace Bacon posted:

Thanks thread

:shepspends:

Now you just need cables for your other consoles. Oh, and mods for the ones that don't output native RGB. Oh, and a nice SCART switch so you don't have to continually switch your plugs.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Xenomrph posted:

I've done all of those except the last one (and it's taking a lot of restraint to not drop the coin on that, too). :retrogames:

I really want a Lotharek Hydra, but it being more expensive than any other single piece of my retro kit is holding me back.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

sure is an interesting selection of systems used to advertise an RGB gaming accessory, though the SNES instead of a megadrive as the single console is mystifying

Lotharek mainly devs and sells stuff for computers, floppy replacement drives, hard disk replacements, sound upgrades, expansion ports, etc. The SNES on his Hydra ad is the first time I've ever seen a reference to consoles on his site.

Even getting him to care about anything beyond Ataris and Amigas took a long while; the floppy emulator firmware only had full MSX support patched in super recently, ~5 years after he started selling them.

beergod posted:

This hobby piques my curiosity. With emulators, what draws you to it? Is it kind of like vinyl records?

I'm pretty sure this thread is largely for the super crazies who have found emulators lacking.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 9, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

beergod posted:

But what is lacking about them? That's what interests me.

Oh, I misread your question. But yeah, what Monitor Burn quoted. I think the most common reason would be that emulators can be inaccurate in small and large ways, while original hardware definitely won't be unless something is hosed with your setup or machine. Sound can be weird, graphics can be weird, timing can be weird, and only a few systems have hardware-accurate emulators available with those emulators taking pretty beefy PCs to run reliably. Second most common reason would probably be that nebulous satisfaction playing on OG hardware gives some people, myself included.

Personally, my retro consoles are a mix of systems that don't emulate well or are a big pain in the rear end to emulate and I only collect for 5 (lol only) anyways so it doesn't take a ton of space.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

TeaJay posted:

I got completely burnt out with the game collecting aspect of this hobby. I sold my original games, but kept the consoles and bought flashcarts and started using backups for CD-based consoles. It kinda revitalized my gaming, since I have less time nowadays and I can just quickly pop something on when I want, without having to worry about paying hundreds of €'s and worry about condition. I feel like I started to take collecting games too much as collector items instead of .. games. I still want to sit on my sofa alone or with friends, in front of my PVM and play on original hardware using original controllers, but otherwise I think I found the right solution for myself. (that said, I might still pick up a few original games that are my absolute all-time favourites.)

I'm trying to do the same. I've been downsizing my collection by asking myself if I'm ever going to play a particular game again and, if no, off to sale it goes.

I still like original boxes and manuals and I'm probably going to end up with a bookshelf or so of retro stuff, but I don't think I ever want one of those massive game room collections people advertise on youtube. I just can't imagine I'd find time to play anything with a set up like that.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Caitlin posted:

Me, I'm one of the resident collectors / nostalgia junkies / competitive players. Please don't make the mistake of thinking I got all this stuff post bubble, this is about 30 years of accumulated games.
And yes, I still emulate. And have terrible taste.

I like your gameboy rainbow. Are those Famicom carts that are also rainbow organized behind all your amiibo's?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Elliotw2 posted:

The Game Gear is actually way worse than the Nomad, funnily enough. 6 batteries in the Nomad last like 6-7 hours, the Game Gear is lucky to get two.

I think my GG might need some repair.

2 hours sounds really low, I had a Game Gear as a kid and it would last entire 4+ hour car rides no problem.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It is really funny to think you're paying over a dollar an hour to play Game Gear.

What was really funny was trying to get my parents to buy me new batteries all the time. When my rich friend gave me his old brick Gameboy and his rechargeable external battery-pill-thing was the day I went Nintendo and never looked back.

At least until I bought a Saturn cause the Saturn owns.

edit:

BrownClown posted:

Got my SCART cables from retrogamingcables yesterday. Plugged them into my PVM, turned on Super Metroid, tears of nostalgic joy.

Which is funny because there's no way in hell it looked this good when I played it as a kid, but it feels so faithful to that experience and what I remember it looking like.

I got my cables in yesterday too and my favorite results were with my 32-bit systems. My 8-bit stuff looks almost too perfect so it's throwing me off a little bit.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

DoctorWhat posted:

Stop doing non-integer scaling and play on a goddamn PVM like a king.

Fixed this for you.

RichterIX posted:

Thanks for the retropie advice. Maybe I will just hunt the pawn shops for a cheap old i3 laptop or something. The tiny-ness of the Pi is appealing but I've been burned on other little media boxes that ended up not working well before.

Pi are really only good for retrogaming if you want to work it into a little project or portable unit. If that's what your after it will work really well for stuff up to about PS1, but might have trouble running more complicated PS1 games.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Road Blaster is the only MSU-1 game I've heard that I've enjoyed. Pretty much in every other MSU-1 game the music sounds like Too Much.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Djarum posted:

Rock n Roll Racing is pretty fantastic in MSU-1, as is the Zeldas. I am quite looking forward to someone getting Final Fantasy 6 working with it. I think the opera scene with actual opera singers would be fantastic.

I know it's super subjective, to me Link to the Past just doesn't sound 'right' and I bet I'd feel the same way if FF6's opera was in something other than sound chip warbles.

I think my brain just constantly double-takes at how different the music is from when I was playing these as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Monitor Burn posted:

The real issue for me is that the replacement tracks feel off as "game music". Some of the tracks have long intros or lead-ins and you have to wait a good 10-15 seconds before the main theme/melody starts, where normally it would start immediately. Or, in the case of some orchestral tracks, they feel slower or less active than the stock music regardless of the higher quality recording. I think you would need to remix and edit the replacement soundtracks significantly to get them to fit as well as the originals.

For a general quality upgrade for SNES audio, there's always the optical audio board mod (stock SNES audio only, doesn't work with MSU-1 tracks): https://store.retrofixes.com/products/snes-spdif-digital-audio-upgrade-board

I think sound is one retro rabbit hole I've managed not to fall into. All my systems currently feed their audio into a stereo to mono cable and output through my PVM's mono speaker. :v:

I do love doing mods though...

• Locked thread