Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Literally The Worst posted:

what's a relatively cheap usb controller that would be good for retro-ing

edit i'm asking because i was thinking of doing a stream type thing where i played through the big list of games you jerks helped me compile a while back, plus some other stuff that i know i need to play
I was gonna suggest a Madcatz fightpad but then i looked up prices and lol

If you can get one cheap they're great for emulation though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Speaking of GBAs, anyone know a good place to get an OG GBA with a backlight these days? I see kits to do it myself but I don't trust my abilities in the slightest and i'd much rather either pay for one that's already done, or find someone to whom i can send a GBA for modding.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Got to play with one of these at the weekend at an event, now i'm just sort of obsessed with the idea of owning one even if it's completely unfeasable.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

It's a "consolised" CPS-2 with USB ports and a PSX AV connection
http://www.grandmasterchallenge.com/?p=1608

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

tag yourself I'm "terminater 2"

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

The best FF8 LP is Leovinus' one from like loving 10 years agooh god i feel old

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

I have this GameCube NR reader that I acquired several years back before moving countries. I came home this weekend and decided to take some pictures and figured this was place would be the best way to get info on it.
After some basic testing, it won't boot any JPN or USA retail games, which makes sense, but it won't boot the disc that came with it either. Is it possible to get more (blank) discs or does anyone know if the system can boot retail discs with a mod or anything?
https://imgur.com/gallery/C6VEv

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

So by the sounds of it, it's not moddable to play retail discs or anything? Still a cool thing to have I guess!

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Do all the PS2 ports on PS4 run like poo poo or is it just Dark Chronicle?

I went and bought a GBC at the weekend and took it home only to discover that my Oracle of Ages no longer boots, tried cleaning with alcohol and on my GBAs but no dice :(

Also aren't the batteries on these games supposed to be nearly dead by now? My pokemon blue and link's awakening both have working battery saves

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Open up Oracle of Ages and look for broken solder joints around the chips on the board with a magnifying glass. Then reflow the busted joins (or all of them if you really feel like it). I've had it happen to two GBC games myself and I hear its common to happen to Ages and Seasons specifically too.

Yeah, It's looking like I'll have to do that. Need to get one of those tools to open the back and get in there and hopefully fix it.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Medullah posted:

I don't know if it's okay to talk about emulators and roms here since it's technically :files: but what is the best way to take a messy giant dump of roms with miscellaneous variations and whittle it down to a manageable list? Scrolling through 30 variations of Super Mario World is a pain in the tush.

last time I sorted all my roms, I audited them with Good Tools, which i think is probably the best for completeness without having a ton of different weird versions of games and hacks and what-have-you.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Pappyland posted:

Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but what is considered the best way to play GBA games? DS? GBA SP? Micro?

Best is probably a GBA player but good luck getting one of those. The micro is great, but they're really drat tiny so I find them a little uncomfortable to hold.
The ideal GBA is an original model with a light mod even if you lose the convenience of a rechargeable battery

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Is there anything to be done with a dead GB Color cart? I tried cleaning the contacts to no avail, and attempted to solder the chips per an instruction video but it didn't do anything, I'd really rather not get rid of it though because i've had it forever.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Oracle of Seasons. I'll get some pics later I've put everything away for now.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

It's possible that I've spent too much money on GameBoy poo poo in the last month. Not pictured: a GB Player. This thread has cursed me. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have a GB player, but I need to do the SD card mod to my Gamecube to get the proper software running (GBA/GBI-LL, I think? From a 90 minute gameboy history video I watched), because apparently the stock software (that I paid a fortune for) is poo poo? Whatever. It's awesome anyway.

:siren:My Fiancee:siren: was 100% convinced that the GBA (standard) she had as a kid had backlighting. I explained up and down that no, only the SP had it, but she was convinced. Considering that she lived in the literal backwoods of Idaho from ages 6-18, I was doubtful. But she really wanted a GBA last year for Christmas.

A quicker option, rather than arguing, was just ebaying her a GBA that had the AGS-101 mod done on it :v:

Yeah, after buying the player and disc, though not at an unreasonable amount, i paid RRP for it, I watched the same video and so I also plan to get one of those SD adapters, which they are somehow still selling on the codejunkies website. Just have to get the gamecube out of the attic when I get home for christmas.

Question though: I have the gamestop branded Wii/PS2/Xbox component cable, will that work at all with the Gamecube? I heard the official cables have a DAC in them that converts the signal, so I'm guessing I'l just have to go get a scart lead for it welp

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It won't work since the Gamecube uses a cable with the special chip in it, as you've noted. Also, if you're in a PAL region and have a PAL-format Gamecube, I don't think those do component video output in any form anyway, so RGB over SCART would be your only real high-end video output option to begin with.

RGB over SCART it is then. Next question: should i get the CSYNC or normal SCART cables from retrogamingcables? what's the difference?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Thanks for the reminder. Now all my consoles are set to January 1, 1997, one second ago.

Well except the Dreamcast who is eternally 9/9/99.

I was surprised this week when i took my launch gamecube out of the attic and found that it still had the date and time set. It's been up there at least 5 years.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

I just got my SCART cable for the aul Gamecube and wow it's a real improvement, everything looks nice and sharp compared to composite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

I'm starting to think that the only good thing about retro-gaming in Europe is SCART

• Locked thread