Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Kid Fenris posted:

No sign of the Star Fox or Super Metroid comics yet, but those were sorta lousy anyway.

I disagree on this point, mostly because I wanted that version of Samus (where she looked like Vasquez with purple hair) to be canon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

On another note about Nintendo taking down the NP mags and Metroid alterations: much like Blizzard serving C&Ds to people running vanilla WoW servers against the cries of its fanbase, the matter was "protecting their intellectual property rights", trying to discourage others from doing this, instead of condoning by means of inaction.

It makes sense, but it makes them a business, not an rear end in a top hat.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I was just playing Magical Drop on my Everdrive GB and noticed that you can PRINT the high score table. That's cool, for what it's worth!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Can we stop sniping at each other, please? You guys are cool people who like video games. You have different tastes, different standards.

Stop being dicks.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Testing out a stream idea with my Easycap - gonna play some FDS Zelda. Feel free to drop in:

https://www.twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Testing out a stream idea with my Easycap - gonna play some FDS Zelda. Feel free to drop in:

https://www.twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

Took me 3 hours, including a phone break and a puppy break, but I got through the whole game. Only missed one bomb upgrade and the red ring, whilst dying twice (once because I was too lazy to wait for a bomb drop).

Done for now, but I'm liking the way the stream turned out. It's too bad the Genesis and Nintendo suffer from jailbarring on the EasyCap I'm using, but when I tried to use my Happauge, the quality was MUCH worse.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Nobody mentions Birth of the People?

Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a2ENyUfo_8

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Is there a story behind why Defender II/Stargate on the NES has the Punch-Out!! soundtrack?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

It's actually just SF2turbo with digitized actors instead of sprites! The arcade game itself is actually a completely different and more MK style fighter.

Sorry, buddy. The home game is just as wretched as the arcade game. Best to be played with alcohol and zero positive expectations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I may live in some kind of bizarre wonderland, but I've never had an N64 in my possession that had any stick dysfunction. Like, I've only ever seen it in the wild. Is this because I did not own Smash/WWF No Mercy/Mario Party? Or is there a different series of games that turned those things to poo poo and I just missed it somehow?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

If DJ Quik were a goon, he'd recommend you install a Dreamcast.

"And the time I'm spending in your bitch, a supreme blast/in the back of my S500, playing Dreamcast" - DJ Quik, U Ain't Fresh

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I once got all ornery about the Guitar Vader song in JSR being the most obnoxious thing in that soundtrack (even moreso than Dragula), made even more obnoxious by its repetition during the "chase the dudes and tag them using the same button as something else" on the Dreamcast... but then I wound up on Gamers.txt in helldump and decided that nobody really cared about what I disliked.

People will, time and again, disagree with what I dislike, and more power to them (some of you like the d-pad on Playstation controllers, for instance).

But man. Some people are going to like what they're going to like. Like that whole "some guy did a cosmetic and systematic remake of Super Pitfall to make it less lovely" that takes a game that didn't seem like a good effort and turned it into... well... it's not GREAT, but it's a far cry from Pony's original port.

Tee Ell Dee Arr say: Talk about what you like. It's not a crime to like things you don't.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Anybody got a way for me to score a Core Grafx II Super CD ROM that works and doesn't cost me over $150? I've had a guy that's been pretty much ducking me since earlier this month and I'm getting really discouraged.

It shouldn't be this loving hard to play Cho Aniki on a legit system.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

In case this thread cares, I totally bought Kthulhu5000's IFU/CD-ROM and will be mining the gently caress out of the PCE-CD library in no time.

It's the final piece of the "things I actually want to play" puzzle I've been looking for, ever since these threads got me started with re-collecting.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The Kins posted:

NoE released a trailer for the EU NES Classic.
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/781735356450217984

It seems to imply that both 50hz and 60hz versions of games will be playable.

I wonder if they intended the mistake in that video where they show Castlevania, but say "Castlevania II: Simon's Quest".

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I have to keep telling myself "You don't want an MVS. You don't want that kind of :retrogames:. You don't need that kind of :retrogames:."

But then you guys start talking and I start getting ideas and my wife starts saying things like "I thought you were DONE" and I'm like oh goddamn it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Yeah, the RPi1 doesn't seem to hang as well as the 2, but the 3 is phenomenal for this.

Also, I got Kthulhu5000's Super CD2 for my PCE, popped in Cho Aniki along with his 3.0 card, and

yeeeeeeeee

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Gonna try to play through Cho Aniki (and beat the final boss this time):

http://twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I'm glad I finally beat it. The final boss was a little bit of a disappointment.

That penultimate boss, though. My goodness.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Gonna stream some Gradius III, or whatever I end up doing after I die:

http://twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

Over now, but man that was brutal.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 11, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

My lag test is usually Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, and the Mr Sandman fight. For example, trying to play that on the VC on the Wii/WiiU? Painful.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Star Man posted:

Sir, you can take a Dremel to those tabs inside the console and never have to worry about it.

That's SFC-->SNES. He wants to go backwards.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Or just look at some of the footage from Jeremy Parish's Good Nintentions series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSssHzHam_o

He's pretty much the only guy doing one of those Chrongaming things that actually is capturing on original hardware with high quality output (same with his Gameboy world stuff) it's really apparent when you look at it because it actually LOOKS like an NES running on a real TV.

That's maybe the only video I've watched that has made me want to go through the supreme hassle of purchasing and installing an NESRGB in one of my spare Nintendo front loaders. I'd end up just doing the component jack (haven't gone full :retrogames: for an SCART or anything), but man, that poo poo scares the hell out of me.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

^^^^^^^
SNES has constant line level that will be too loud.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Ended up making this over the weekend with my own two hands, gimp, some sprite rips and a shadow box from Michaels:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

They're like $40 or less with most of the cables.

It's weird - five years ago at SC3, there was this dude who was pushing HARD on selling me his 32X and 5 games for $5 so I took it. Six months later, I ended up buying a Model 2 set for $40...

... but last night, I pulled the trigger on a Model 2 Genesis with a not-lovely encoder for $65.

I hate the market.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

Recommending someone play Diddy Kong Racing is like recommending they place Mario Party 1. That game will destroy your fingers. You have to mash the A button as fast as you can while driving the car, which gets tiring fast. Multiplayer games are basically just endurance matches to see who's fingers get sore first.

Gonna have to disagree here. I've never played Diddy Kong Racing before, so I decided to fire it up and play it for about 45 minutes. Got through the boss stage of Dino Valley or whatever it is, ended up doing two Silver Coin challenges, and my thumb (while held down most of the time) never got mashed. Were you thinking of a different game? This one's not bad at all, for a kart racer it's actually very good for a start!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Harlock posted:

Retro Game shadowbox is the new perler beads

At least mine had a clever pun involved

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

Well not that close but they are working on it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242051-popeye-arcade-8-bit-conversion/page-1

Even tweaks to the NES version. I can't say I even like the arcade version all that much but... might be of interest to someone I suppose. Modders are good eggs even when they do silly things like retranslate FF games for the dozenth time. (I'd rather see faster leveling/less encounter mods for nearly every Jrpg ever. And more PC Engine translations. Even just some menu ones for say the Macross strategy game would be ducky. Menus for the PSP Macross games too while I am dreaming. Yes that wouldn't help the dating parts in the third one but that sort of thing is for bad people anyhow so it is a feature to leave it unusable. :colbert:

Was with you up until

Captain Rufus posted:

Menus for the PSP Macross games too while I am dreaming. Yes that wouldn't help the dating parts in the third one but that sort of thing is for bad people anyhow so it is a feature to leave it unusable. :colbert:

I think this is why people get on your case most often. I mean, it's forgivable to say things like "faster leveling/less encounter mods for nearly every JRPG ever" when games like Bravely Default have introduced sliders to increase/decrease random encounters. Heck, I was also turned off by JRPGs by random encounters starting on the NES with good ol' DW1, but some people actually LIKE it. Hell, if they didn't, the grinding trope wouldn't continue to be as prevalent in things like Korean MMOs and so on.

While I'm not a guy who is into dating sims at all, perhaps going out of your way to jab at them is a bad call. I, myself, am not at all a fan of strategy games, but I also don't go out of my way to ostracize them by calling them "bad people" just for having a different taste!

All right I'm done.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

This happened last night. Bought an $8.50 TV dinner tray, and it was perfect for Typing Of The Dead.

Best thing to occur during the game was at the final boss. The question: "What is the biggest lie you've ever told?" And one of the answers was "They are... just cold sores!"

Also, for those of you, like Rufus who roll hardcore old, the TV dinner tray also works well for this:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Also Typing of the Dead owns, I was watching people play it at Magfest, and I need to get around to it myself.

The algorithms in that game maximize repeated playthroughs, which is a very Sega thing to do. I'd like to think I'm a great typer, but my wife blows me away -- this is what you get when you marry a police dispatcher.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

drat. The best Atari 8 bit with a Lotharek drive? Nice. Not a fan of Atari sticks though. I generally rock an Epyx 500xj or one of my Genesis pads or sticks. I should probably get one of those SMS Alan 9000 sticks on eBay but 70 bucks is pricey even using bat handle sticks the way God intended. Ed Laddin sticks are up there in price too. And are CV and 7800 compatible. I don't have a CV and the 7800 isn't a thing I use a ton since the machine in your picture is the superior classic Atari games experience IMHO. (Until I magically have time and money and talent to both buy an XEGS, HDMI mod it, replace the command buttons with microswitch ones, and mod the detachable keyboard into a Model M clicky bad rear end. I would not hold my breath for this.)

While not pictured, I totally rock a Genesis pad when I'm not trying to take fancy pictures. I'm still sad that the Lotharek doesn't emulate cassette tapes, so I can't quite get ALL the games. I wish the same Genesis pad worked in the Vectrex, but I can't seem to get it working right. I've cut the plastic enough, but it won't register.

I have an XEGS that I wouldn't mind letting go of, including the light gun and a near-mint grey-capped controller (only non-mint about it is that it's not in the bag it used to be in). Feel free to drop me a PM.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, hitting start without entering a code will just play the game as normal iirc

The only game I can remember this not being the case for is Mega Man 2. Codes or no, putting MM2 in the Game Genie means hitting mute on the TV.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

maybe NERD did the hardware as well.

So I can get this lap dance here for $60

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

I've been trying to get Galaga working in mame-libretro on my Raspberry Pi 3 but so far have been unsuccessful. When running Galaga on my PC through MAME, I know I need the namco BIN files in the same folder as the rom, and that works fine, but I'm not sure where to put these files in RetroPie. I've tried in the \roms\mame-libretro\ folder and in \bios\mame2003 folder and neither has worked. I've also tried rebuilding the galaga rom with clrmamepro from my roms folder that has the namco BIN files in it, but the resulting rom hasn't worked either.

Anytime I search for anything specific about getting Galaga running, I just see either people missing the namco BIN files on their PC or people pointing to the Managing ROMs page in the RetroPie wiki.

What am I missing?

So, first up, you wanna make sure you've got the right romset for the time period it's made for (2003 was a pretty substantial fork, so you'll see that number a lot).

Second: keep it zipped. No need to have the loose files.

Third: if you boot up RetroPie and then connect a USB stick with a "\retropie" folder at its root, RetroPie will auto-populate the stick with the folders you need. Then, take it out, put it in your computer, put the zip(s) in the folder you want, then eject it from your computer. Put that into your RetroPie, wait until the drive stops flashing, then reboot the Pi.

If I missed a step somewhere, or you need more clarification, let me know.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Speaking of SNES and Mode 7, while it's awkward as poo poo I've gotta give props to Axelay for being both weird and addicting (once you finally get it. The vertical Mode 7 stages are exponentially harder than the horizontal stages.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

What have I done

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

checksin posted:

you bought a virtual boy at target

Haha no I bought it at SC3, but yeah - at least it has the battery pack deal so it isn't tethered to anything.

And I got teleroboxer, so booya

Also got this thing

I also scored a PS2 from a dude I knew because my birthday was a couple days ago.

Lastly, I am still here at the event, but this cake is neat:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

This is probably the definition of "Everything to me, Nothing to you", but here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cbqts8Hn3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjOk8FZ_zow

Gyruss. Ended my run at stage 130, with a score of 1,501,650. An hour and a half, single credit. I even played a few planets while holding Zipper (my dog) because my wife dropped glass in the kitchen, but she was a good sport:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Gyruss looks a lot cooler on an arcade machine than on a GBA screen.

For me, there are two versions of Gyruss that will always stay with me - the Arcade original and the Atari 800 port by Parker Bros. The Atari 800 game (which, I believe, is the same as the 5200 port) is loving balls hard, which is probably why I'm as good at the original as I am.

I own 2 copies of the GBA Konami Classics Advanced, and while it's good in a pinch for a portable version, the best home "port" of Gyruss will always be the Playstation "Konami Arcade Classics", where they nailed everything except for the demo/attract. Both versions for the Xbox360 (the standalone title, and the Game Room inclusion) have really poor sound quality, likely attributable to Digital Eclipse (who also butchered the sound for the XBLA port of Symphony of the Night).

The NES version was an entirely different game. The Commodore 64 and Colecovision ports are solid efforts that are less rear end in a top hat-y than the straight-up Atari 800 port.

If you can play it on a legit cab, do it. This is why I bought mine from the founder of SC3 for $400 back in 2014. But if you can't play it on a cab, play the Playstation port.

Sidenote on the "score table loop" video - I love the sound of the stick and button. It's very satisfying.

• Locked thread