Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I haven't posted in the retro thread in years (or SA for that matter) but now that I'm done saving money for medical costs I can go back to burning it for retro games :retrogames:

I have some controllers that need some love. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good online retailer of replacement rubber contacts for controllers? My famicom twin and a few snes pads need replacements. I'd prefer an online store compared to an ebay seller or a forum person, but if that's what I got to do so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

I may have some original SNES pads lying around. What does the FC Twin take? Are they just regular NES pads?

Yeah, a quick google search seems to show that they use the same pads between the famicom/nes.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Folks, don't get stoned and browse craigslist

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ofecks posted:

OMG those sticks. Get them out, that cab is in pain.

Cab is korean so of course it has bat sticks in it. I got some spares balltops though.

Came with Tekken Tag Tournament, which compliments my Tekken 2 and 3 boards nicely.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Trip report.

I had planned to spend my sunday playing Torment, but I had to check craigslist and on a lark search for candy cab. As soon as I saw it my boyfriend and I decided to hop on it (We had been talking about getting a cab set up for a while now).

The cab is a Korean Crowin CWC-203. It was described as a "somewhat project" cabinet. The person we bought it from had recently purchased it to add to their arcade, but decided it was too much of a project for them so wanted to give it to a good home. We popped in the tekken tag board it came with and the monitor looked good. The controls were pretty much shot (joystocks not returning to center, buttons broken, buttons wired up in the harness wrong). We discovered some other issues but decided to take the chance anyway.

The cab is mostly wood, so it made getting into the house a fairly involved process.

After doing another test fire to make sure we didn't rattle anything loose, we took stock of everything. The previous owner had screwed in new joysticks but used wood screws so some of the tips are just barely poking out into the panel. The control panel had broken off at some point and the previous owner not knowing how to fix anything attempted to fix it with hot glue and some other...creative fixes.

We'll be fixing the broken plastic and adding reinforcement. In the meantime we had to take the control panel off completely to get it up the stairs. After removing about 50 screws we finally got it out.

Next few days are going to be spent stripping components, cleaning them and fixing them as time goes on. I want to wire a new jamma harness in as the previous one looks like it had several bad fixes applied to it. I also need to test my Tekken 2 and 3 boards to make sure they're working as well.

I'm super excited to have my first candy cab in the house.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Candy cab progress update:

-Took the control panel apart to gut the parts and clean the insides. We've discovered some damage to the frame that connects it to the rest of the cab, so we're debating how to fix that and prevent further damage.

The parts that the cab came with are Korean made Crown buttons and sticks, and they were beat to hell. One of the sticks was missing it's gate completely and had bad drift. Several buttons flatly did not work, and those that did felt weird. I was hoping to replace these parts with japanese parts, but I discovered that the buttons were slightly smaller than your typical 30mm japanese button, and the plastic they snapped into was specifically molded to take these buttons. The joystick also was longer than your typical japanese stick, and had the plastic molded around it.

So I was left with 3 options:

-Buy new Korean parts. I didn't like this for several reasons. The buttons didn't feel all that great, the layout using the slightly smaller buttons felt weird, and paradise arcade didn't have enough of them to fill out my cab. I also hate bat tops.

-Carve out the plastic frame to try and fit japanese parts. I also didn't like this because I would only have one chance to do it and could never go back to its original layout. There's something to be said to keeping this as close to original condition as possible.

-Make my own frame. The material would have to be wood and painted, not stained. I could set up my own custom layout and use any joystick and button combo I like. I could also make the frames modular so I could swap in different joystick layouts, like 3, 4 or 6 buttons.

We've decided to try option 3 first. Here's pics of our test piece:

And here's the original frame and what the buttons/joystick were like

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the power supply and clean it as well as drill out an astro city layout into the panel.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

d0s posted:

I almost bought that exact type of cab from a guy here in florida but when I learned about Korean joysticks/buttons and the crazy control panels I ended up passing on it, good to see someone is actually putting in the effort to make one of these things usable with good controls. And yeah the Reco PCB is a fantastic piece of hardware

Checked it out and it's almost certainly going in my cab. Thanks for the recommendation!

We got this in today:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

Nice unit! Do you know if the floppy drive is in working order?

Edit: you might wanna crack that thing open, it looks like the keyboard frame has some bend to it; those function buttons shouldn't be sunken in like that.

We can get the unit to format floppies but trying to get stuff written to a floppy so it can read it is proving tougher than normal (We have no idea if our media is good). We also noticed the bent keyboard and will try and straighten that out. Doesn't seem to negatively affect it so if it proves too dangerous to the unit to fix we'll leave as is.

Goal with it is to get a flash cart going and enjoy some hot MSX classics.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Panel build out proceeding well so far. We made a test cut first:

And it turned out fairly perfect (we didn't account for the joystick hence the horizontal layout of the panel.)

We moved onto the final panel after confirming this worked:

(Not final button colors, just what I had laying around to test with)

Tomorrow we get hardware to mount the sticks and hopefully, if the weather dries out, we get to paint it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Another addition to the family

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Ah, werd. How did you get such a decent pic of the screen in action, by the way?

standing at the right angle I guess. I was just as surprised!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Plastic bonding glues are loving the most toxic smelling thing holy poo poo

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Speaking of cool things:

https://gamehistory.org/dooly-bravo-land/

Stuff like this makes me wonder what classic games we might have missed out on from regions that didn't have a presence in the US/EU/JP game scenes.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Fixed the broken control panel base, did some basic cleaning, remounted.

Also replaced all locks on the cab with ones that I have a key for. Still painting the control panel, but should have that done right before vacation. The parts came in today and I'm excited.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's a big part of it, as well as the weird roster.

It probably doesn't help that the Megadrive game with the same name is much, much worse and probably kept a lot of people from even trying the SNES version.

The nes version however is also really good and one of the few fighters available for the platform.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Got home from vacation and added the buttons to my control panel for this Korean cab:

Need to touch up some parts on the paint, but it came out a lot better than I expected. I'll probably make a new one from the lessons learned here but I can at least start with this.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I have this sneaking suspicion that you're being sarcastic.

I got kind of curious about what in the first year of the PS2's lifespan was worth playing. 2000 is pretty much all terrible; when the only thing on the list where I go, "Oh yeah, I'd play that" is Super Bust-a-Move then it's a real load of stinkers. I'll concede Fantavision is distinctive, though.

I've got a Game Boy game based on the same show that the game in the lower left is. It is not good.

Is that the Master System Mark-III version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts?

I got a lot of mileage out of Tekken Tag at the time. FFIX was played on it as well.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I spent the last few days doing some of the more boring parts of fixing this cab up this weekend, including wiring in a new power supply, re-mounting the monitor controls in a more convenient space, putting the cab on new casters (and adding stiffening boards since the bottom is pure mdf and starting to warp in spots), starting to wire the new jamma harness, adding in a small audio amplifier and hooking up the speakers.

I also grabbed a few boards to swap in:

First is Psychic Force 2012. The board boots but I think it's missing a special power adaptor because it won't go past the first screen.

And I grabbed a Naomi with MvC2 as well as the capcom jamma converter board.

Need to spend some quality time with the monitor tonight, then it's time to wire the controls and hook up the pc.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone have some tips on troubleshooting arcade monitors? The samsung monitor that came with my cab mostly works, but has some issues where the vertical position knob doesn't adjust the picture down far enough (So the top image rides right along the top and I have a black bar below the bottom inch of the image), and I have some weird geometry on the sides of the picture.

My first idea is to replace some pots on the screen control board as it's a fairly simple board and the pot contacts appear to be a bit rusted (contact cleaner seems to have helped, but not by much). Otherwise I think I'm left with getting the chassis removed and re-capped (I know there are people who do this, but I don't know where to look. Any ideas?).

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Don't talk to me or my extremely heavy children again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Getting my boyfriend's office set up with his pvm and MSX

• Locked thread