Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a good hard-drive to use on Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Most of the good ones (lockable, reliable, 320 GB or more) are on there.

You might instead order a SATA to ide convertor with lock support and get laptop drives in, or even m2/msata to ide converter with locking and a spare m2 ssd if you have some about.

I do have a lot of extra SATA hard-drives. I was about to order the same PATA hard-drive I used on my PS2 with great success, but all the Amazon reviews with XBox in the text are negative.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

moller posted:

I recently ordered a ps2 network adaptor out of boredom. Do you mind linking that hdd in case none of the ancient ones I have lying around work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YJ2UPA

It comes around to 232 GB in the end and pretty much had enough room to put all the JRPGs, niche and exclusive PS2 games on it. Dunno what the solution to put files onto it if your PC doesn't have a PATA hard-drive plug, which I had a older PC that had them for installing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I might just stick with the burned cds instead, since it not a system that needs a 250 GB hard-drive like the PS2.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

You can make your Xbox read burnt disks? Mine refuses to read any that I've tried and from what I've googled it's not uncommon.

Dunno, I haven't tried it yet, as I have to wait on the USB attachment for the controller to arrive before I can softmod. It can read discs at least, since Splinter Cell was running just fine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, my CRT is doing the rainbow color on the upper corner so I need to get a degauser for it. What a good one for a decent price, as I not wanting to spend a lot of money for something I only going to use once.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Ditch and pick up a better one off of your local Craiglist. Probably cheaper and more sound than messing around with degaussing coils and all that, especially if the problem isn't necessarily one of magnetic deflection and all that.

Otherwise, your cheapest option might be to get some neodymium magnets off Ebay and try a manual degauss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyKuQf36TI

1. Don't let it being local sway you. If it's incomplete or doesn't have everything you need for whatever hypothetical bad-idea reason you think you want a CD-i, then it's only a step or two above an Ebay dice roll crapshoot anyway.

2. Don't buy a CD-i, especially if you already have a bunch of better consoles and the like, and doubly so if you're not using those consoles constantly.

No can do on ditching it, since it's a Sony PVM-14L2 that I finally got not too long ago. It wasn't doing this until very recently, probably due to having speakers near it. I rather like this thing a lot so I want to get it back to normal.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Don't PVMs have their own degaussing coil? Have you taken the speakers away and used the internal degauss a bunch? and I mean a bunch

It has a button for degausing, but it doesn't seem to do anything, even after moving the speakers away. It seem to started the last few days, as it was very faint but now is very obvious in-game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Murderist posted:

I had a CRT monitor that stopped degaussing properly and whenever the colors would go out of whack I'd simply put it face-to-face with a CRT tv of roughly the same size and turn that on, it would degauss the monitor as well. Could be risks involved with that I'm not aware of though? Worked for me.

So how exactly this works. Do I just put the PVM next to the big CRT I have and just turn on the CRT while leaving the PVM off?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dunno if that would work. I might just look into the wane a goon mentioned being $25. Anyway here what the color issue looks like on the PVM.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
In non degausing news, what is this game featured on the Everdrive video on My Life in Gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuHA3k-y6PE

Should be at the 25:47 mark as it not putting the timestamp in right.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

It's like a dozen games, and the ones worth having you've probably already played or can get on the Wii/Wii U/3DS eShop (or SNES Mini).

Yeah much as I love to get the remaining unusable games on the SD2SNES, the SNES Mini really helps fill the hole by having Star Fox 1 & 2, Yoshi Island, Mario RPG, and Kirby Superstar on it. Really only thing missing beyond that is stuff like Kirby Dreamland 3 and other stuff like Marvelous and Doom.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

Uhhh...

Oh wait, you're talking about the Strider-like! That's probably RUN SABER

Thank you, that was the game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The thing that always stood out to me with that game was the really melodramatic story. In the original Final Fantasy Adventure and even Adventure of Mana (Vita), the unique bosses like Count Lee and Dark Lord are just that, story bosses you get a few cutscenes then you have a boss fight and they are now dead.

Now in Sword of Mana, they are ALL tragic villains, even single one of them. And the game reminds you how sad it was that they were tragic villains because the game will bring them up all the time in dialog about how sad they were being used by Julius.

Also I remember it got rid of the Chocobo in that version as well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also Maria plays a lot different on the Saturn and PSP.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am really liking the SNES Classic after the Hakachi mod was released. Unlike the NES Classic where it super easy to put all the games for the system on it, I am treating the SNES Classic as more of a companion to the SD2SNES I have, as it can generally run all the games it can't while it's rewind/save state function is great for SNES games without battery backup, as it makes it easy to finish those games.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got the 'dog bone' controller for the NES as I always liked how it felt compared to the brick controller, plus my other controller was getting really stiff to use. It came in and is great, but man it controller length is almost NES Classic controller short. Is there a good extension for it?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah they're all over the place, just grab one from Amazon for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M32J01R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8nz3zbDQRBXRH

Was going to order it, but man there is a lot of mixed reviews on it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The Japanese versions introduced with the AV Famicom are way shorter than any US NES controller cable, and there are plenty of them floating around the US.

Yeah I got the AV Famicom one since it was a lot cheaper just buying one then getting a offical NES 2 controller these days without being overprice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone OSSC from batch 2 shipped yet? I know there is a message about them waiting on PSU to arrive to start shipping out, but I saw someone said they already got their October unit in.

• Locked thread