Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They had the sensor bar below the screen in a little cut out shelf. The Wii was actually a Wii U connected to a composite-to-vga converter. It looked so bad in motion, but people were having fun and that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LemonLimeTime posted:

So...is Sonic Mania getting a physical release outside the giant bloated expensive collector's edition?

Lol that doesn't include a physical copy either.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They're also including Yoshi's Island. That seems like a big deal. I think they've only released the gba port in the past.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I bet Nintendo did something like make sure the on-board storage was EXACTLY the amount needed so you can't hack it and add more games. I hope not but I bet they did.

Also I don't think the side is where the controller ports are because look at the PAL version:

So no ports on left or right. It either must be on the back, or maybe it uses the Wii controllers? Plug the SNES controller into the Wii controller and the SNES Classic has a receiver for Wii controllers? Maybe?

There are no additional software sales here, so I doubt they'd care. If anything, it being more useful might drive accessory sales.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

All Wiis (and Wii Us) have gamecube innards because the Wii hardware is a superset of Gamecube hardware. The Wii Mini is just so locked-down there's no effective way to get Gamecube games to boot.

And this bums me out, along with the lack of component. I love how the Wii Mini looks, but drat does it suck.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fishmech posted:

Er, every car I ever had with a CD drive did it, from a cheap Plymouth Neon to my grandpa's mid-90s Buick Park Avenue we had for a while like 10 years after it was new. I've had several Sony and Toshiba laptops that insisted on using slot drives and they all loaded the smaller discs fine - up until the slot loader broke for all discs, as usually happens with slot loaders. We also used some white box PCs in middle school that had slot loading drives and our educational software often came on the mini CDs, they worked fine. And as mentioned, a decent amount of home stereo equipment that had slot loaders would handle the smaller discs.

Yeah, the Wii U is the first slot loading disc drive I've owned that didn't handle them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Also I hope you guys don't mind a double post. I'm going down to Orlando Florida later this year and could use some recommendations for game stores, arcades or pinball places.

I feel like they move it around, but there is an F-Zero AX machine on Disney property. I last saw it in the Contemporary.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Do you have an older Wii and Smash Bros Melee? You can load a broken save into Melee and use that as your boot disk instead if you can find that easier.

Whoever does the coding for Smash Bros should probably be fired since you can use every game in the franchise to load homebrew.

This is what I do. Easier to get the required equipment and works really well.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

RF-Coax<<Composite<<<<<<<<<<<S-Video<<<<<Component<<RGB

RF-Coax<<Composite<<<<<<<<<<<S-Video<<<<<Component & RGB

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

There's arguments to be made that RGB's color space / reproduction is better and when you look at the results it seems valid to me. YPbPr isn't the same thing.

Probably should have gone with one < instead of two though. I think there's also arguments that component is slightly sharper but it doesn't seem that big a deal.

I just don't buy this. Are there some good rgb vs component side-by-sides? RGB is calculable from YPbPr and vice versa. You get the same color signals. Putting one above the other seems like some audiophile-style bs that will end up with people wanting to jump through hoops to get Wii scart cables instead of some $5 component cables from Amazon. Any difference in "sharpness" probably has more to do with how some specific piece of hardware outputs those different signals than converting between them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes, I've seen that and agree the Wii outputs rgb and component differently.

quote:

Any difference in "sharpness" probably has more to do with how some specific piece of hardware outputs those different signals than converting between them.

The side-by-sides I'd like to see would be same device, same display, RGB vs RGB converted to component.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Okay, I want to pick up a PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 as my next console, but I need some advice.

I want to be able to play all (or nearly all -- screw SuperGrafx for now) the PC Engine games as easily as possible. From what I can gather, the easiest way to do this is to grab a Duo-R or Duo-RX, along with an Everdrive and an Arcade card to handle the few CD games that require it.

The issue is that I also like to purchase carts for my favorite games for each system, and would like to be able to play those directly. Yes, I realize that there is effectively no difference between using a HuCard and using an Everdrive, but among pointless idiosyncrasies this one is pretty tame for the retro gaming thread.

My options seem to be a region switch mod, a converter card, buying and RGB modding a US TG-16, or buying a PCE and having it RGB modded + rewired for US region HuCards.

I'm probably overthinking this, which is why I'm asking for opinions. Also, if anyone wants to talk me into buying a PCE + CD-ROM and interface unit, feel free. My chief concern is reliability.

Modless RGB: https://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/
(It's good. I have one.)

Modless region converter: https://db-electronics.ca/product/pc-henshin/
(Haven't used it, but trust the maker.)

I can't comment on the CD stuff. All my tg-16 interest is nostalgia from my childhood, and I never had a CD add-on.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

Got my modded PC Engine in from Monitorburn along with my Everdrive I bought last week from Stoneage Gamer. Now what some good games to play on the system besides laughing at how big the sprites are in China Warrior? I know Bonk and Bomberman 93 are solid games.

Bonk's Revenge is the only good Bonk.
Final Lap Twin
The Silent Debuggers
The Legendary Axe
Keith Courage
Impossamole
Yo Bro!
Alien Crush

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Caitlin posted:

whoa dude when did you get to be a monster? making GBS threads on Bonk's Adventure? and listing Keith Courage, which I love but is pretty reviled, after it?! :gonk:

:getin:
I played Bonk's Revenge before I played Adventure, and kid me thought it was too much of a step backward. I'm sure I would have felt differently about it had I played them in a different order. Also, because all my TG experience is from childhood, I got to play all the games without being influenced by outside opinion. I loved Keith Courage. There are enemies that were just giant fuckin' guns with faces. As you get further through the game, your fuckin' laser sword gets comically large. I was seriously shocked to find out people didn't like it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

meat police posted:

It looks like Retro Fighters is trying their hand at an N64 controller through a kickstarter. Looks better than the coveted hori design.

There's no mention of the internal electronics on that page.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm really excited for this. I'll buy it, then buy it again when/if they release it physically.

I especially like the erasure of 4 on the elevator. What a let down that game was.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

if you like weird plastic things, there's this.

Nah, I want an actual cart.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Playing some Sonic in anticipation of Mania. Unpopular opinion time: I don't like Sonic 3. The music is great, but that's about it. The levels are too long and the bosses aren't fun. (Screw you electric drill thing with a spinning top in the carnival zone.)

Im currently waiting for my timer hit 10:00 and kill me because I clipped into the floor and can't move.

Sonic 2 > Blue Sphere > 1 > Advance > Knuckles > 3

Edit: I did like marble gardens, though. Beautiful area, loved the terrain manipulation.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Baron Snow posted:

I'm the monster that only really enjoys Sonic Adventure 2.

SA2 is the only 3D Sonic I've enjoyed.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RodShaft posted:

Look what i found digging through my boxes of retrogame stuff. I was just contemplating buying one of these.

Ughh I had one of those. Luckily I also had a hori.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Not retro, but made for us: the new sonic game is really, really good.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I will never understand people that think Nintendo literally wants to sell fewer units than they potentially could.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zand posted:

it has to be intentional or why would they keep doing it? for years?

edit: with everything. like that's why there's 300 dollar component cables lol

I'll buy incompetence, but there is no grand scheme to piss off their customers so they can make less money.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zand posted:

wait he said nonhideous

Nah that looks nice.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

univbee posted:

Off the top of my head Nintendo had some really poorly-received games recently, like Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival,

Not ashamed to say that this is the disc in my Wii U at the moment. It's fun. It's just a different kind of fun.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

the_lion posted:

I just spotted this video on how genesis games music was coded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvnZRCW_qc

I thought it was pretty interesting.

This is a cool video!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This outrun toy is so cool.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thrift store find! I never look at the magazine racks, but this was right in front and staring right at me.

I love the strike games, so I had to have it. It's really neat looking into the past with old magazines like this.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

but I do want the one Gamecube kiosk disc that had a demo of Mario vs. Donkey Kong on it for the uniqueness of a GBA demo being playable on a Gamecube disc.

That sounds really cool. Do you know how it works? I'd guess emulated, but it could just be a completely different version made to look like a gba game. Or, even more interesting, a kind of alternate gba player start up disc that loaded the rom from disc.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

It can't be the second considering that the Game Boy Player hardware literally contains a Game Boy Advance. It's probably emulation, since the Gamecube could handle a GBA emulator, and there was a product from Datel that was basically an emulator and an accessory to read GBA carts.

I agree that it's almost certainly emulation, I was just wondering if it was something much cooler, like feeding game data to the Gameboy player hardware from disc somehow.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Someone posted it above, but thanks for raising my blood pressure again... haha

Don't worry, they didn't just take the screen.
https://twitter.com/JanHenrikH/status/910761819060531201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh my god

• Locked thread