Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casimir Radon posted:

This is what the Sega Trio plug looks like. Can anyone point me to an OEM cable?

The fancy technical name is C7 plug for a C8 socket. You should be able to fund a replacement by looking for C7 cords that are not polarized (polarized ones have one side shaped like a rectangle on the side, so that it can only go in one way).

You can just buy a working plug here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DW5YJO?th=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

I'm almost 100% sure you wouldn't be able to program it in such a way that, say, you composed two audio tracks, one for "on Yoshi" and one for "off Yoshi" where it will instantly and seamless switch between the two at the correct playback location based on your "riding Yoshi" status.

A game that wanted to do this on early CD systems would have things set up so the left channel is the regular music and the right channel is the music with the modifier, and you switch between the two by muting the left and unmuting the right and vice versa.

Naturally this means you can't use any normal stereo effects in the track, and requires a setup that allows you to mix a single channel input to both channel output. But I think you can do that within the SNES hardware and how the MSU-1 would hypothetically interface with it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Clever but what games did that? They weren't doing it with redbook audio right?

Or are you speaking hypothetically here?

It's a method that was used by many tape and laserdics and CD based "games" before real time serious mixing became a thing. It almost certainly was used with released games on CD at some point but I'm not aware of any specific ones - most preferred to use the full stereo effect when they could.

This mid-80s device was able to provide game data and changing responses on 8-track tape cartridges by switching between channels on the tape which would be muted or unmuted as neccesary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyOKgLtUxto
Game data was stored in the same way you'd do it on a cassette tape, on the channel that wasn't being sent to the speaker (and switching from left to right occasionally). Then the question would play as standard audio, automatically pause when the computer data indicated, wait for input and then continue playing a congratulatory message and lighting the matching light to a player that got the question right, or staying silent til next if all were wrong. On some games, it would temporarily switch in the current game data track for a short "wrong" message before switching back to the normal audio channel.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The best PSP to actually play on is the PSP Go in my opinion, the analog nub placement is simply a lot more comfortable for me.

Sure you can't play UMDs, but the UMDs suck and the system's fully hacked, just get a big microsd card and a cheap microsd to whatever memory stick that is adapter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wamdoodle posted:

I have a Go and I love it but Go's have their own proprietary memory with no adapter that I've seen because the card is so tiny. I'd go for a 3000 personally.

Oh I can't keep track of which sticks do what, Sony had like 50 of them. When I had mine though I'd been able to pick up a cheap Sandisk card of the proper size and fit a bunch of games though, think it was like 16 GB.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
SMB2 wasn't sent over because it was a cheap cash in on 99% existing assets and Nintendo was still terrified of being compared to lovely Atari 2600 style cash in games. It didn't even do any vertical scrolling because the engine had barely changed.

They didn't really care about difficulty for US audiences in their games or games they published.

Mak0rz posted:

I dunno. I thought that there were games that were modified or in some cases not even localized because they were considered "too hard" for American audiences.

This was more prevalent during the 16-bit era though I think.

Nah what you're remembering is stuff like Sony US making it hard to publish 2d games on the Playstation because random execs said Americans demand 3d. Or a bunch of SNES rpgs getting skipped because someone saw the translation cost and would just say it wouldn't sell enough, cancel that.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 13, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Semi-retro, give or take a few years, but I found an Xbox 360 HDD transfer cable for all of $5 today and ordered a 250GB hard drive off eBay (from a legit and known store, rather than a random seller) to transfer my 120GB one to. (I've been meaning to do it for years).

What I want to know is if there's anything important to know in regards to opening the 120GB drive shell and sticking a bigger 2.5-inch harddrive in it. I figure I either get a 500GB drive into the old HDD case, or even if I gently caress it up I've got a shiny new 250GB drive anyway.

Why aren't you just jamming a large USB hard drive off the back of the 360 for bulk storage? Microsoft changed the USB volume capacity limits back in 2015, so you can use any drive up to 2 terabytes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you have a 32X, always burn the 32X CD version of a game. Much better video quality and higher color depth in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I loved that whole thing Sega did where they released tons of their games on PC in the late 90s, because that's how I played most of them for the first time and Sonic CD and 3D Blast especially were great ports (Sonic R was an almost perfect port but dropped a few things like how the Saturn has some better transparency). But you kind of wonder why they were bothering, it could only have hurt the Saturn further, and then the Dreamcast.

• Locked thread