Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kid Fenris posted:

That will bring back those fond memories of playing the imported Chinese knockoff I special ordered I got for Christmas on grandma's giant TV, of biking to Blockbuster to rent a new imported Chinese knockoff for the weekend, and of gazing covetously at all the upcoming imported Chinese knockoffs in Nintendo Power.

Wow yeah, so compelling. I too got strictly Nintondo games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm gonna skip the last 100 posts to state that the stupidest "gut a thing to make a tackier thing" trend is the Game Boy Macro: http://gameboymacro.com/

You shouldn't be shedding a tear over half broken DSes being turned into mostly working GBAs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cliche Guevara posted:

So, the skinny on being able to play roms on the Dreamcast is this?

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/

Is the issue that if someone sends him money, it may take a long time? Or is it full on buyer beware, as in sending him money and getting nothing at all is a possibility?

(Theorizing this. I notice he only wants money in Euros)

Keep in mind, you can just buy a stack of CD-Rs and burn most games to them while you wait for or save up for one of those drive replacements.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chainclaw posted:

As someone who participates in a few hobbies, the defensiveness people get over the destruction of a SNES copy of a game you couldn't give away is baffling. Especially considering when these hobbies overlap, I imagine some of you would have heart attacks if you knew what the video synthesizer community was doing to Vectrexes. I'm even thinking about getting a second vectrex to gut and turn into a really slick video synthesizer.

What does turning one of those into a video synthesizer entail, anyway?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I can't think of flash carts as things to collect. They're more tools that allow you to get games on real hardware that you might not have been able to afford.

But there's lots of forever discontinued ones to collect. :twisted:

Not to mention all the disk based copiers and the like.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah its funny but I think ps2 is already too late. The turning point was when gamestop was clearing out about 3 years ago. And sadly, gamestop threw out a lot of cases and manuals and sold them as disc only to save space. Getting good ps2 game cases and manuals might be almost as rare as cart games which is funny because you'd think it'd just be an easy thing to get complete.

I doubt Gamestop deliberately threw out cases and manuals in bulk, so much as people traded in disc only games, or games in hosed up cases missing the manual/cover art paper or with that stuff ripped up. I mean they had all those blank DVD cases available for games they only had a disc for after all.

I mean I remember plenty of times picking up some game or other and there was someone ahead in line trading in games with literally the whole front half the case ripped off, or a disc or DS cart rubber-banded to a beat up manual

fishmech fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 20, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Allen Wren posted:

A few years back, my fiancee and I went to a Gamestop to see if they had a DS game that had only come out a few months prior (Virtue's Last Reward). They had it, and insisted it was new, but cart-only. They just straight-up said they tossed the packaging.

Gamestop is basically Satan's cockhole.

They probably were lying about it being new, yo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cliff Racer posted:

So I looked this up and video synthesizer fans... really like early 2000s screen savers? What an odd hobby.

It doesn't really seem like it's destructive though, you basically disconnect the leads to the original circuit board and wire them into external equipment. So if you wanted to play Vectrex games again it'd be very minor work to reconnect the original stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

absolutely anything posted:

if that's the case then that's fine and that dude really should have picked a word other than "gut"

Well you usually would take most of the original components out and set them aside, so gut sounds like a fair enough description. They're just not getting thrown out unless the Vectrex board was already broken.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

absolutely anything posted:

for me "gut" implies a permanent removal and the way you're describing it makes it sounds like if the vectrex magically had more space inside it you could wire up a toggle switch to change between the vectrex and winamp visualizer boards

e: which is to say, nothing's really happening to the "vectrex" part of the vectrex. you're basically just unplugging it and plugging in something totally different, and as long as you're not a dirtbag that would throw away a working vectrex board you can plug it back in whenever you want. and that's fine

Yeah pretty much. You also end up cutting holes into the back plastic to run the new signals most of the time so the system won't look pristine but it's no big deal. But hell, my Atari 7800 has big ol chunks of the plastic missing because they cracked off when it got dropped down a staircase once, so it's no big deal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofecks posted:

Someone may have answered this at some point, but are there original GD-ROM images out there? All I ever came across were hacked-up DiscJuggler shits made to fit on a CDR, which was fine I guess, but that's not gonna cut it for proper preservation.

Yeah I can send you a link to a great site if you want.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh wow, this is a great example, though I think it was more of a glaring oversight than a scam. As for unbeatable games, the only other one I can think of is Mission Impossible (heh) for the Atari. Any other games unbeatable due to bugs?

What about games that can actually be damaged to the point where it's unusable? I think there is only one case of this in history, but I can't find it for some reason. It was one of the GBA Mega Man games. Basically there was a glitch (difficult to pull off luckily) that would corrupt the save data, and for whatever reason, the game refused to boot with corrupted save data with no way to erase it, bricking the cart. I really doubt there is any other instance of this but if there is, I'd love to know about it.

You could fix that with a GameShark, iirc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Dos posted:

Ninjabread Man / Trixie in Toyland / I'm pretty sure there's a _third_ all for the Wii are all the exact same game reskinned with no indication as such come to mind as feeling incredibly scammy.

Anubis II and then also Rock 'n' Roll Adventures. So it's 4 of the same game. You can watch a TAS of the Anubis II version here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MORAvx-S70

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For Christmas the year the Game Boy Color came out, my brothers, sister, and I all got different colored GBCs, so that we could tell them apart. I got Teal, my one brother got Grape, my other brother got Kiwi and my sister got Dandelion. Then shortly afterwards my sister's broke and she got the special Pokemon Yellow themed GBC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

All I can feel is that right side handle digging into my palm as I try to hold it in a way that lets me press the buttons with my fingers instead of my thumb.

Well I have no idea how the gently caress you managed that on any of the original controllers, to be honest.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

Left thumb on pad, supporting controller with fingers. Right fingers on buttons, supporting controller with the thumb.

This only seems like it could work if your fingers and hands are very tiny. Especially on the original NES controller, and then the SNES controller or anything else with shoulder buttons I can't even imagine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is original Xbox emulation completely dead? It seems like cxbx hasn't been updated since 2012 and Xeon's been dead for even longer. A shame if it is, I'd really like to play Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Work is progressing in MAME, though it'll be a while. Just buying an original Xbox is dirt cheap still though, and if you're lazy like me you can soft mod it for under $10 additionally with a cheap common used game and a controller port to usb adapter that you slap a flash drive in. Load a hacked save on the usb stick and you have an alternate shell that lets you play pirated games in under 20 minutes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait, holy poo poo, that exists? Last I looked into softmodding, you had to have an Action Replay save transfer thing, and I assumed those were long gone by now.

Yeah. See the thing is, the original Xbox controller ports? They're literally just USB 1.1 ports with a weird connector, so you buy a cable like this (you can get them cheaper on ebay) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMCJB4...H8VKZZSB0B32F1E and you can plug USB devices right in. Properly formatted USB flash drives get read as if they were any other memory card for the system, just in a much larger size.

I followed this guide to do it, and I used the James Bond game they mentioned because I could get it for $2 shipped disc only: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-the-original-xbox.385064/

The basic process is once you have the short adapter cable, or wired up one of your own from an Xbox controller plug and a usb socket you already had, you stick your flash drive in and the Xbox will ask you to let it format it so it can be used. You should use a flash drive smaller than 2 GB for this for the most reliability, and you can get those dirt cheap if you only have big ones. You then download the appropriate files and hacked save , and place it on the stick using the Xplorer360 application, which can read USB sticks formatted by the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 to move files around. Put the game disc in, get to wherever the save menu is, and try to load the hacked save, and it boots you out of the game and into an installer thing.

Very easy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

poo poo. :stare: I need an original Xbox now, I think.

You do, everyone does! Honestly the only problems it really has are:
1) You'll need an ethernet jack on your router or wireless bridge. Because the easiest way to load games on it once you've set things up is over the network.
2) you'll need to buy or have lying around an old IDE drive or cf-ide or sd-ide adapter to replace the stock 8 or 10 GB hard drive for all your pirated games. But this is cheap and easy, like I got a refurbished 250 GB Maxtor for 20 bucks shipped.
3) A lot of sellers are missing the plug end of the break away cable on controllers, leaving them useless. But you can buy replacement ones on eBay for very cheap.
4) some newer HDTV sets lack component input so you can't get best quality out of your Xbox component cables.

Other than that you're set. You should only need to pay $30 to $50 for a working system with working controller on eBay, before shipping.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is it possible to just, y'know, burn them to DVD-Rs and play them that way? I'd be pretty alright with that.

Sweet. Are the old huge controllers still easy to find and buy, or is it just the Controller S? All my old memories of Halo/MechAssault/Guilty Gear X2/Burnout 3/THPS3 were on the Controller S, but I have bigger hands now and not little baby Trump hands, and I kinda wanna try the beefy ones.

You can do it but it can be much more annoying.

Both kinds are pretty readily available on ebay/amazon/thrift stores. As well as the various third party controllers of course.

Honestly this all reminds me that I need to actually get around to installing the larger hard drive I'd bought, lol.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ineffiable posted:

Uncle, Goomba seems to be doing borders and enhanced color but I think it runs at regular speed.

Someone more technical than I should answer though.

The Super Game Boy 2 runs at accurate Game Boy speed, so most SGB supporting emulators actually target the SGB2.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wizgot posted:

Is the speed difference really that noticeable? I mean can your really tell? I read somewhere that the SGB plays the games 2.4% faster. To me that is not a lot.

Quick question. The Game Boy Pocket is said to run for about 10 hours on two AAA batteries. I believe this is 1996 standards. With modern AAA batteries, will it run longer? I haven't timed it but was wondering if someone knew the answer.

The sound is off, you'll notice it with any game you've played a lot on GB/GBC/GBA. It also makes some games noticeably more difficult because your reaction time needs to be better. Doesn't really matter much for like RPGs or other sorts of turn based stuff of course.

1996 was well into the era of modern alkaline batteries. 10 hours is probably still true with modern alkalines, while lithium batteries would last you up to 50% longer (because while lithium and alkaline batteries store approximately the same total power, at the level of current a GBP pulls the alkaline drains much faster due to various chemical reasons). So you might get 15 hours.

If you want the best battery life, the clear winner is the Game Boy Color. On regular Game Boy games, which don't use the faster processor mode, the thing will get 30-45 hours of play time on modern alkaline batteries, and lithium batteries could push to 70 hours. Game Boy Color specific games will use more power, but even still the 2 AAs will still last you at least 20-35 hours on alkalines and maybe reach 65 hours on lithium (again, the characteristics of lithium vs alkaline batteries is that lithium batteries can provide power much more efficiently at high current draw).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wizgot posted:

Thanks for the extensive answer. Wow. I'm not sure but from looking at videos it seems that the GBC has a smaller screen than the GBP. I know the resolution is the same. It might be an Illusion though.

Yes, the original Game Boy screen is 4.7 by 4.3 cm, the Game Boy Pocket is 4.8 by 4.4 cm, and the Game Boy Color one is 4.4 by 4 cm. But it handles low light better and of course it's actually in color, so it's a fair trade off really. What's particularly nice is that the GBC has the least ghosting on screen of any of those three.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

This is a retro PC question, but I dug up from the closet my original PC I got back in 2006 after I got my first job. It had Vista :banghead: on it so I used the usb flash drive to put the Window 98 SE OS on it. After a few annoying issues I got it installed, but I can't put any files on Window 98 now. USB stick isn't supported as it a 2.0, cd-drive is dead and it uses PATA so I don't have a spare, and the ethernet cable needs a file from the Window 98 cd to work...which doesn't work since I can't use the cd I have on it. Shame, since everyone says 98 is the best for retro pc games, but I can't do anything with it, so I wonder if I should just put XP back on it instead.

Next time place the unofficial windows 98se service pack installer on your usb stick, and when you boot from it copy the file over to the hard drive while booted into DOS mode.

Among other things it can install a universal usb 2.0 flash drive driver so that usb sticks work flawlessly.

It's also a good idea to copy the WIN98 folder to the hard drive directly, as that's what it wants to use when installing drivers.

http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/ Remember, it needs 98 se not regular 98

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 27, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

How can I do this at this point? I tried to use the Easy USB Booter, but it ignores it and goes straight to Window 98 now. And going into DOS mode just gives me a error if I try to go to the B: drive.

[edit] Actually I might have a solution. The PC I am using used to have Vista, which I didn't erase and just removed the hard-drive for it. So I just going to boot into that and move the files over to 98 from there.

Yeah sticking the Vista drive back in to copy over the WIN98 folder contents (or really the whole windows 98 se cd contents to a single folder, just to be safe) and the unofficial service pack would work well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cliff Racer posted:

Did Japanese Mega Drive stuff have many physical differences from American stuff? I'm surprised to hear it even though I guess I shouldn't be as lots of other companies (and especially Nintendo) had done the same thing at that point.

The big one is really just the cartridge notch and matching lock thing on the first Mega Drive:

Effectively it's the same as the notch on old Game Boy titles. Also for whatever reason the PAL region cartridges use the same case as North American.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah the site I pulled that from mentioned the "Yellow Label" Sonic 1 was quite unusual: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/sonic-1-japanese-mega-drive-yellow-label.52537/

Guy seems to think it was originally from some specialty distributor.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I feel like the reason Genesis/Game Gear stuff simply doesn't cost as much is that Sega allowed manufacture of like the Majesco variants and later TecToy and other clone systems pretty continuously since the Genesis was out for the Genesis, and well past when the Game Gear was dead for the Game Gear. So there's kind of an impression among people that there's always plenty of Genesis stuff around, the way you just didn't have with SNES stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DoctorWhat posted:

That's rad as hell. I don't have a Dreamcast (yet) but it's great to know that stuff is preserved and accessible.

Yeah practically everything from the Dreamcast online services that was possible to download to your system has been saved by someone, usually by pirates. The main thing that's missing are like the in-game webstes in a form that the browsers can still access, though some crazy people work up custom DNS servers and host those on their own networks so that say a copy of the Jet Grind Radio in game website that was taken from the internet archive can be accessed by the in-game browser. (Or just a hacked up landing page, that just lets you enter in another URL so you can use the "get graffiti tags from internet pictures" function)

While we're at it, pretty much all the original Xbox and PS2 and GameCube DLC that existed is preserved, and absolutely all the Xbox 360 and PS3 and Wii stuff is (it was easier for them because most things went through the official stores). Similarly pirates have all the Xbox One/PS4/Wii U downloadable content/games on an ongoing basis.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

It's not terrible if you have a compatible screen, though I honestly think the Nomad screen looks alright as it is once you get the brightness right.

As it is? I don't know, everyone I've seen at least needed capacitors fixed or something, because they looked a lot worse than when new.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squeegy posted:

This might be the appropriate thread for this. I have just acquired a CTX CVP-5468NI, manufactured December 1992, off the side of the road. It's in perfect condition, except when I plug it into my Win8 laptop and boot it up the screen is all hosed up (and extremely green, despite it being an RGB monitor) and there are black bars on either side of the picture. After fiddling with it for a bit, I determined that by setting the contrast down, I can get it to display a legible (but duplicated, and juxtaposed onto itself) picture of my desktop. However, after being on for a while the picture starts to get messed up, beginning at the top of the screen as it slides leftward until the whole picture smears into a static-y, horizontally vibrating mess. If I set the contrast lower, it will reverse this process and I can get the picture back, but only for a little while until the process occurs again, and eventually I run out of room on the contrast knob and it just goes black (weirdly enough, I can get flashes of picture when I'm moving the contrast knob near the end, but not when I let go of it, it goes back to black).

I downloaded a driver off the Internet which consists of an ICC profile and an INF driver. I applied the ICC profile to the monitor in my display settings, but it doesn't appear to have done anything. I installed the INF file, but it also doesn't appear to have done anything and I can't find it in the driver list if I try to update the display driver for the monitor. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it/how I could fix it or should I see myself out to SH/SC?

Your absolute best case scenario with this is that the VGA cable is hosed, and a replacement would fix that problem (if you can even replace it, since a lot of monitors this old have it permanently attached). But it's most likely just completely hosed, because it's a 24 year old CRT dumped on the side of the road.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

It's almost like Nintendo is a Japanese company and the rest of the world is an after thought!

People say this poo poo, but it's not like it works perfectly in Japan either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think what's really going on with Nintendo's arbitrary "local only!!" multiplayer interaction stuff like that, is that they must only budget for a certain amount of new server infrastructure per year. So a game comes up once they've gone past that? Sorry, no online stuff at all or only crippled online stuff for it. Local-only wireless is free to Nintendo, after all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Less awesome: Nintendo nuking 562 fangames in a single DMCA takedown.

Probably smarter to do them in large batches like this instead of individually, now you're not making recognizable martyrs. Still, even with the caveat that they're totally within their legal right to do so, :wtc:

Heh I was looking through that, and some of those games are ones Lowtax played while doing his bad games youtube channel. Here's one of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X9E5M4tvtg

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

American parents are bugfuck insane and Nintendo is trying to avoid controversy. It's also why Splatoon didn't have voice chat.

That's a bullshit excuse here, because Mario Maker for the Wii U already has full online functionality.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

And how! :)

Man I really hate poo poo like this.

I mean, if they're charging money, sue the pants off em. Same with people who print band names on t-shirts and then get offended if you tell them its wrong.

But if these are just free to play fan games, who the gently caress does that hurt. Its ridiculous.

The law shouldn't even allow them to do this though, we gotta fix it in congress.

I'm glad the lovely games were removed from easy access.

This also isn't even close to all the Nintendo IP using games on GameJolt, this one's still up and it's outright blatant: http://gamejolt.com/games/nintendo-world-2/4901

It also attempts to present a history of retro gaming in its course, so it's quite weird.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, drat, forgot about Donkey Kong. Anyway, the list goes like this (and they're almost certainly doing some weird poo poo with release dates here because I told you this was a dumb listicle - and of course I go to Popular Mechanics for video game news, duh)

`82 - Pitfall
`83 - Star Wars (arcade)
`84 - Duck Hunt
`85 - Super Mario Bros.
`86 - The Legend of Zelda
`87 - Zelda II
`88 - Super Mario Bros. III
`89 - Tetris (Game Boy)
`90 - Super Mario World
`91 - Sonic the Hedgehog (with a screenshot of Sonic 2)
`92 - Mortal Kombat (arcade)
`93 - Doom
`94 - Donkey Kong Country
`95 - Super Mario World 2
`96 - Pokemon Red/Blue/Green
`97 - Gran Turismo
`98 - Pokemon Yellow
`99 - Pokemon Gold/Silver
`00 - Pokemon Crystal
`01 - Grand Theft Auto III
`02 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
`03 - Call of Duty
`04 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
`05 - Nintendogs
`06 - Madden 2007 (PS2)
`07 - Wii Sports
`08 - Wii Play
`09 - COD4:MW
`10 - CODBLOPS
`11 - CODMW3
`12 - CODBLOPS2
`13 - Grand Theft Auto V
`14 - CODAW
`15 - CODBLOPS3

Well if what they're doing is just seeing what sold the most in a year, then I certainly believe that finding out the sales figures for 1981 and earlier would be really difficult and frankly 82 and 83 as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
POWBALL is a great variation on the arkanoid sort of game, but it's DOS-only. Someone got approval from the original authors for a modern Windows remake, but I haven't played it.

https://archive.org/details/Powball
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Powball_1997
https://alchemizt.itch.io/powball-renaissance

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flyboi posted:

I dunno, Shovel Knight did it real well even if Shovel Knight could never run on a Nintendo. They used it as a base line of "this is how it should look but what if all those nuances from the NES were gone" and I think it was pulled off rather nicely.

Now if that game doesn't have some bitching synth cracktro it's dead to me.

Speaking of cracktros, I love how a lot of trainers meant for use with original Xbox game son the hard drive have the old-school chiptune playing loaders, instead of just being XBMC trainer plugins.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

I feel like GBC is an under-examined aesthetic, all told. It's sort of like the NES, except where that had four BG palettes of four colors each (three unique, one shared between all four) and four sprite palettes of three colors each (technically four, but the fourth is always transparent), the GBC has eight of each. The NES can only pick from a set of ~50 predefined colors (which don't even have set RGB values), GBC you can set them to any 15-bit RGB color you want. NES BG palettes are done on a 16x16 grid, despite graphics being on an 8x8 grid; GBC does away with that and lets you set the palettes on an 8x8 grid as well. Pretty sure GBC also has a mode that lets you say "to hell with this" and display images that show off more colors than those 16 palettes should reasonably accomodate, but it only works for still images; I don't know the specifics behind it; I think it involves swapping the palettes every scanline or something? (I suppose that's less a "mode" and more programming wizardry as a result, but still, it looks pretty.)

Yeah the default GBC modes allow 56 colors on screen at once, but clever programming can get you to 16,128 of the 23,040 colors that could be onscreen (because there's 160*144 resolution, if you make every pixel a different color you can only have 23,040 unique colors). Of course you can't really make anything but abstract art out of doing that, considering what all those colors at once would look like. Basically use the feature that the color palettes can be changed not just every scanline out of the 144, but can be changed in the middle of the scanline, so 112 colors per line by 144 lines.

More common in demos and the like are to shoot for 256 or 512 colors onscreen at once, because thodse are way easier to do in motion.

You can see a demo that uses thousands of colors with this rom: http://gameboy.modermodemet.se/files/IP-GBHC.ZIP and the site its on has a couple of screenshots (obviously none of these are the 16,000 color patterns):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofecks posted:

Arcade monitors used raw RGB, there's no NTSC or PAL distinction, they are the same across all regions. The refresh rates are all over the place. DonPachi and DDP, for example, run at 57.4hz. R-Type, Image Fight, and Ninja Spirit are 55hz, and look especially weird on a modern 60hz computer display. Toaplan's last hardware revision does straight 60hz. Arcade monitors needed to be incredibly flexible to handle all that stuff.

Don't forget how vector monitor refresh rates were absolutely crazy. Effective refresh rates of the whole screen could vary from 25 hz (most common on very old systems that didn't need to do that much drawing) through to somewhere over 70 hz. Though of course these aren't the same as the refresh a raster monitor does.

• Locked thread